Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
Hey, Hideous Destructor fans, Somagu on the ZDooM forums made a group for HD co-op. It's surprisingly not laggy as poo poo. :getin: on chat if you want a round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

JackMackerel posted:

It's surprisingly not laggy as poo poo.
I'm glad nobody noticed my screwup on a couple of recent-ish devbuilds, on that note. :v:
Having the camera jump around for the heinous crime of moving was certainly a silly bug to leave unnoticed. Granted, it was the change in compiler that triggered it.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Nov 20, 2014

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Zeether posted:

I got back into Hexen

I'm so sorry. :ohdear:

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Somagu spent quite a while completely breaking one of the Duke Nukem mods and it owned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgC0zkXrhbs&t=33s

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Doctor Goat posted:

Somagu spent quite a while completely breaking one of the Duke Nukem mods and it owned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgC0zkXrhbs&t=33s
He's helping bug testing of Episode 2 and already picked out a bunch of stuff I missed :v: I can't really stress test my own stuff because I subconsciously don't try things I know won't work.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

When playing with DoomRL Arsenal, how do I get a HUD that looks like the one in the DRLA OP, showing just the ammo for my current weapon, but also showing modpacks, the name of the current weapon, and (it looks like) the amount of ammo currently loaded in the weapon? I thought "DoomRL HUD" would do it, but that just gives me the normal hud + modpacks along the bottom.

Mostly I just want to be able to see how much ammo is currently in my weapon.

e: yes, I'm using the fullscreen HUD

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 20, 2014

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
It's a toggle set to a keybind, "HUD Weapon/Armor Info"

It doesn't show amount of ammo in your gun though, you have to use the RLarsenal hud, and set it to a step under or above fullscreen hud to see that.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Nov 20, 2014

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Jblade posted:

He's helping bug testing of Episode 2 and already picked out a bunch of stuff I missed :v: I can't really stress test my own stuff because I subconsciously don't try things I know won't work.

You should keep stuff like his method of slidekicking through doors as settings, like Doom has its compat flags.

Call it the eSports menu :v:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Elliotw2 posted:

It's a toggle set to a keybind, "HUD Weapon/Armor Info"

It doesn't show amount of ammo in your gun though, you have to use the RLarsenal hud, and set it to a step under or above fullscreen hud to see that.

I'm using the RLA HUD and I don't have that info, that's why I'm asking!

The only RLA keybinds are "unused", "assemblies list" (brings up a fullscreen display of known assemblies), "armour/mod info" (brings up a fullscreen display of armour and modpack stats), "remove armour", "remove boots", "armour special ability", and "next HUD page". And "next HUD page" only does anything when in the armour/mod or assembly info screens.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Oh, I had DoomRPG loaded too, that was giving the extra poo poo. My normal DoomRLA wad shows the ammo in the gun just fine at all levels, in the Ammo box on the status bar, and under the total in fullscreen. The HUD wad will show the gun + loaded modpacks in the top right however.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Elliotw2 posted:

Oh, I had DoomRPG loaded too, that was giving the extra poo poo. My normal DoomRLA wad shows the ammo in the gun just fine at all levels, in the Ammo box on the status bar, and under the total in fullscreen. The HUD wad will show the gun + loaded modpacks in the top right however.

Huh. Mine looks totally different. Can't screenshot right now, but in hudbar mode it looks like yours except with the current inventory item instead of the face, and without the HP and ammo indicators above the hudbar. In fullscreen mode it looks like the normal gzDoom HUD, I think -- level stats, HP, and armour in the lower left, weapons and ammo in the lower right, inventory along the bottom, no per-weapon ammo display or anything.

I have loaded DoomRL Arsenal, DoomRL HUD, DoomRL Monsters, and Going Down, in that order.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Oh, go to the HUD options and turn off the Alternative HUD. Not only is it bad and tiny, but it doesn't work properly with any mods.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i wonder if you could take the level generation code from doom rl and make something to make randomized WADs for actual doom.

i say this knowing literally nothing about making doom maps beyond how the sectors work, so i imagine it would be impossible.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

FirstPersonShitter posted:

i wonder if you could take the level generation code from doom rl and make something to make randomized WADs for actual doom.

i say this knowing literally nothing about making doom maps beyond how the sectors work, so i imagine it would be impossible.
There are random map generators for Doom out there, so it's possible. It'd have to be an external utility, though, because there isn't a chance in hell of coaxing non-awful random maps out of ACS scripting.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I'd be really neat to be able to play doom roguelike properly within the doom engine

edit: i figured that it'd be an external utility thing that generated a full dungeon that you could then play

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
OBLIGE is what you're looking for. It uses setpieces to create the levels so you'll get repetitive architecture a lot. It's still pretty cool though. The levels, being random, are pretty bland, but it's fun to crank up monsters and crank down health items and see what you can get.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Speaking of random level generators, RANDROTT is pretty fun. :shepface:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

FirstPersonShitter posted:

You could, but to be honest, DoomRL levels would all make pretty lovely Doom levels. Something specifically tailored for Doom will always give better results.

Elliotw2 posted:

Oh, go to the HUD options and turn off the Alternative HUD. Not only is it bad and tiny, but it doesn't work properly with any mods.

That fixed it, thanks!

While I'm asking stupid newbie questions, two more...
- how do I enable the high res texture pack in gzDoom? I downloaded the gzDoom version, renamed it from .bin to .pk3, and added it to the load order in ZDLSharp, and I can see it getting loaded in the logs, but everything is still a blurry and/or pixelated mess. "high res textures" are enabled in the openGL settings.
- are there any special tricks involved in getting Beautiful Doom to work with DoomRL Arsenal?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Don't, and you can't, in that order.

You can get sharper graphics by setting texture filtering to nearest instead of any other option.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

The Kins posted:

There are random map generators for Doom out there, so it's possible. It'd have to be an external utility, though, because there isn't a chance in hell of coaxing non-awful random maps out of ACS scripting.
I dunno, if you don't mind flat, boxy, grid-adhering Wolfenstein-ish levels, I half-expect you could port the actual level generation code from DoomRL to some degree.

It'd not be very Doom-y, though.

Elliotw2 posted:

You can get sharper graphics by setting texture filtering to nearest instead of any other option.
I prefer Nearest (Linear Mipmap), personally; IIRC it helps deal with Moire effects, while still leaving textures and sprites nice and pixelated.

Shadow Hog fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 20, 2014

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Double-post, ignore

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Elliotw2 posted:

Don't, and you can't, in that order.

Assume, for the sake of argument, that I want to see just how "bad" the high res texture pack is first hand.

Shadow Hog posted:

I dunno, if you don't mind flat, boxy, grid-adhering Wolfenstein-ish levels, I half-expect you could port the actual level generation code from DoomRL to some degree.

Oh, you absolutely could.

The problem is that every randomly generated DoomRL level is either
(a) a bunch of rectangular rooms packed into a larger rectangular area
(b) a large, open rectangular room with a bunch of "buildings" in it
(c) a cave
optionally with a river of water, acid or lava cutting through it at a random location.

That works fine for a short and fast-paced roguelike, but I can't see it working well at all for an FPS.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

Assume, for the sake of argument, that I want to see just how "bad" the high res texture pack is first hand.

You said something about renaming a .bin file, so I'm going to assume you got an old version or something. Redownload the GZdoom version here and then just load the pk3 file like any other wad.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Elliotw2 posted:

You said something about renaming a .bin file, so I'm going to assume you got an old version or something. Redownload the GZdoom version here and then just load the pk3 file like any other wad.

That is exactly where I got it from, and while that page claims that the gzDoom version is a pk3 (and under inspection it does indeed appear to be), the file that it actually links to has a .bin extension.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Is there a guide to DoomRPG anywhere? The github wiki is pretty bare. For example how do I use skills? Are auras passive? What are augmentations/stims/shields and how do I use those? I feel like there's a lot I'm missing out on because there's no documentation.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

That is exactly where I got it from, and while that page claims that the gzDoom version is a pk3 (and under inspection it does indeed appear to be), the file that it actually links to has a .bin extension.

I literally just downloaded it, it's a .pk3 file. It sounds like your browser or OS is loving something up.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

ToxicFrog posted:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/noghttlaae615h2/zdoom-dhtp-20140616.pk3

If you're still having trouble, I rehosted it for you.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Rocket Pan posted:

I'm glad nobody noticed my screwup on a couple of recent-ish devbuilds, on that note. :v:
Having the camera jump around for the heinous crime of moving was certainly a silly bug to leave unnoticed. Granted, it was the change in compiler that triggered it.

Actually, HD itself is fine, it's just that ZDooM's netcode is usually hideous (HYUCK HYUCK). Someone apparently cleaned it up a little - we only had one or two instances of rubberbanding.

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

Golden Souls is fantastic. The art style, weapons, enemies, and just general feel of everything is amazing. The maps do a really good job of making you explore, making (some of) the maps feel pretty nonlinear and open. Everyone should go play it.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

JackMackerel posted:

Actually, HD itself is fine, it's just that ZDooM's netcode is usually hideous (HYUCK HYUCK). Someone apparently cleaned it up a little - we only had one or two instances of rubberbanding.

You have me confused. I was talking about the netcode.
The only thing I changed that could possibly affect performance like that, on that note, was remove PacketSever from auto selection due to its aggressive hatred of any amount of latency (it notably doubled roundtrip times, and couldn't adapt if someone other than the arbitrator slowed down, making things worse). It seemed to be causing more harm than good, so I made P2P always auto selected regardless of player count, and plan on replacing PacketServer over the next few weeks with something much more suitable and flexible.

Mind you, I changed so much, and the conditions are usually environment dependent, anything could improve performance for any one individual.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 21, 2014

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

nexus6 posted:

Is there a guide to DoomRPG anywhere? The github wiki is pretty bare. For example how do I use skills? Are auras passive? What are augmentations/stims/shields and how do I use those? I feel like there's a lot I'm missing out on because there's no documentation.

Use skills by first assigned Skill Wheel and Use Skill to 2 different buttons.

Access your skill page and then assign a skill to the wheel using the instructions on those pages

Then open your skill wheel out of the menus and go to select a skill you've assigned

Last but not least, press your Use Skill button to actually use your skill
:suicide:

Aura's are active abilities that provide a passive benefit for a limited time. They default to 30 seconds I believe and seem to not really be worth it.

Stims aren't worth using from my experience

Augmentations I still haven't discovered

Shields are amazing. Basically a regenerating shield. First you need to assign some buttons to Activate Shield. Then you need to buy a shield. The first slot of the shield shop page is a basic package with all 3 components needed. That is a max capacity thing, a recharge thing and a ???. I can't quite remember off the top of my head. Once you have the 3 pieces go to the shield menu and select each one of each of their pages. Lastly activate with that button you assigned earlier. EMP knocks them offline for a while.

One thing to note is that everyone starts with 1 point in Teleport skill which allows you to go to the DooM RPG hub. Important notice is to NOT shoot anyone or anything as it gets pretty rough with the evil robots from Robocop teleporting in if you survive for some time.
In the hub the first guy on your left with give you missions, missions are mostly only activate on cleared levels. Right beside that guy is a teleporter that allows you to visit all cleared levels as well as your current one.

Further into the hub are 4 doors, 3 on the left 1 on the right. The right door leads to a healing/repair/recharge point where you can spend cred to get Health/Armour or MP back. It also allow you to exchange skill tokens for stat tokens and vice versa. Further past that point is not much of use, only a bunch of empty lockers you can store stuff in if you really want to, or the dev room.

The first left door is the shop, they offer a random discount every couple of minutes, other than that the exact same as the shop you can interface with after Rank 1.

The second and third doors on the left both lead to the arena. It is a decent place to gain a couple of levels and more importantly ranks. Talk to a clerk to activate it, then enter and hit E to actually start the round. Be careful early on because one of the random events is "Floor is lava" which can kill fast if you are unprepared. At the end of each round you get a random reward which can be Keys to awesome ridiculous weapons or boring rear end stim packs.

I realize this is a bit late I did promise something a couple of days ago but oh well. I'm going to start it up again as this is mostly from memory.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I wonder if OBLIGE could be taught to build Metroid Dreadnaught levels... it's not terrible playing through normal levels as Samus, until it throws an archvile and a cyberdemon at you with no energy tanks and only ten missiles XD

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Cerepol posted:

The second and third doors on the left both lead to the arena. It is a decent place to gain a couple of levels and more importantly ranks. Talk to a clerk to activate it, then enter and hit E to actually start the round. Be careful early on because one of the random events is "Floor is lava" which can kill fast if you are unprepared. At the end of each round you get a random reward which can be Keys to awesome ridiculous weapons or boring rear end stim packs.

What are these "keys"? I thought DoomRPG, out of the box, only had the normal Doom weapons, and all your upgrades were passive stat upgrades, shields, or spells.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

What are these "keys"? I thought DoomRPG, out of the box, only had the normal Doom weapons, and all your upgrades were passive stat upgrades, shields, or spells.

Well I've never used DoomRPG without DooMRL Arsenal

The keys are literally keys like the red/blue/yellow key or skulls.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Cerepol posted:

Well I've never used DoomRPG without DooMRL Arsenal

The keys are literally keys like the red/blue/yellow key or skulls.

Aah.

I tried using DoomRPG + DoomRLA, and found that (a) that is way the gently caress too many things (and too many keybinds) to keep track of and (b) the fact that you can trivially generate infinite money and modpacks is a bit eyebrow-raising.

On the other hand, Doom with just DoomRLA is completely kicking my rear end even on HNTR, so maybe I should reinstall DoomRPG and embrace the brokenness :v:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
What exactly do you do with arena reward keys?

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

SALT CURES HAM posted:

What exactly do you do with arena reward keys?

I don't know... I don't remember them transferring between levels.

Oh before I forget if you have event levels on (which I think defaults to ON) there is a like 3% chance default that a given level with have an event, the one I've seen the most is Nuclear Bomb imminent which gives you something like 3xPAR time to complete the level.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
So apparently the PSX and Jaguar had hud animations for when you blew yourself up.

:unsmigghh:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Jaguar Wolf had a unique hud animation state, too...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Wait for certain mod to use that and increase the detail of the head blowing up :mrgw: