Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

PneumonicBook posted:

There are ways to directly measure the effectiveness of an instructor, the command chooses not to though and keeps doing it the "Navy" way though, which automatically screws our command over.

MTS is more important than better educated students.

When I first here, the AP RADAR mod had a 2yr historical average in the content tests of a little under 84%. I don't know what it was, but the give-a-gently caress was missing and all it took was some new practice problems and a better-run presentation and that jumped up from 1/24 failures and mid-80s to 1/173 failures and mid-90s in 10 months. My first eval debrief tacked that onto my write up, didn't ask me questions on how to improve practices, because :shrug:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

ManMythLegend posted:

Yeah, for a sprawling shore command like a school house it's got to be incredibly tough to break out. And they're sort of right about ranking everyone based on their actual job because I doubt you guys are collecting data that would allow differentiation between instructors. In that case I would say just being visibile in anyway you can is the best way to "break out".

We actually do, not that anyone looks at it. AFAIK scores, averages, failures, and critiques are all cataloged into a database for NETC.

Also the amount of people that should never be allowed anywhere near students but make it through special duty screening and then NITC is staggering. For every one good instructor we get it seems like we get three that sleep with students/are socially inept/were terminal expo/etc. Whenever I hear that we're the top ten percent of the Navy I just laugh and laugh.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Angry Fish posted:

MTS is more important than better educated students.

Holy poo poo do not get me spun up on that garbage.

Perhaps if it dealt with instructing and not curriculum development they'd have a leg to stand on.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

ManMythLegend posted:

Yeah, for a sprawling shore command like a school house it's got to be incredibly tough to break out. And they're sort of right about ranking everyone based on their actual job because I doubt you guys are collecting data that would allow differentiation between instructors. In that case I would say just being visibile in anyway you can is the best way to "break out".

Edit: I went back and reread your post and lol that they are not collecting the data that would help. Stupid and terrible, that's the NETC way!

They do have the data readily available. It's all in CeTARS, our grade and student management system. An instructor can print out his classes' test scores over a given period of time, compare it to a historical average, and then throw it in the command's face with a "here check this out. 34% increase in performance metrics since I started teaching underwater basket weaving."

But that takes :effort:, and nobody tells anybody about it because :effort:, and when we tried to simplify and eliminate some of that pain by asking all the instructors to record their test score averages for the week into a excel tracker? Few did it, and when we did keep track it came back with a, "Wellphhhuuu, thuuuwhuat aboooout MTS?". :iiam:

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Hekk posted:

I appreciate your willingness to try to help me. I am the senior enlisted Marine assigned to this ship and will be going on an accompanied tour overseas. I was just asking about what lower enlisted sailors have to live like because I've see the berthing areas and they don't get much space.

Well, what kind of ship is it? Also, if you're the senior enlisted Marine going to any ship, I'm guessing it's a carrier/amphib in which case it sounds ate-the-gently caress-up that you don't have a legitimate sponsor or POC to interface with.

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

When I had just checked into my last Sprucan and had to follow our CO around our spaces for a zone inspection, when we finished with our berthing he said he didn't like his sailors living in that kind of squalor. I asked him what kind of squalor he preferred. It was an almost 30 year old ship that hadn't had the berthing redone in forever. He didn't see the humor in my answer.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

buttplug posted:

Well, what kind of ship is it? Also, if you're the senior enlisted Marine going to any ship, I'm guessing it's a carrier/amphib in which case it sounds ate-the-gently caress-up that you don't have a legitimate sponsor or POC to interface with.

I am in contact with the dude I am replacing. The ship is moving ports and immediately going into maintenance cycle. The only marine following the ship doesn't check in for another month.

Also, this will be my 7th duty station so the family is pretty well versed on what to do for a move. I am just going to give the ship a heads up when I have finished all my area clearance bullshit and have a flight date.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Hekk posted:

I am in contact with the dude I am replacing. The ship is moving ports and immediately going into maintenance cycle. The only marine following the ship doesn't check in for another month.

Also, this will be my 7th duty station so the family is pretty well versed on what to do for a move. I am just going to give the ship a heads up when I have finished all my area clearance bullshit and have a flight date.

Marine or not, that doesn't mean you can't/shouldn't still contact the ship's CMC if you're looking for gouge for your Marines as they report to the ship once it makes its homeport swap.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Seeing as how the current events thread got gassed, just wanted to commend our JAG on yelling into the wind/brickwall in the Ferguson thread, you have the patience of a saint.

Edit: As a clarification, I don't want to bring that discussion here, just wanted to recognize someone weighing in with expert knowledge against a bunch of IANAL talk.

Nick Soapdish fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Nov 20, 2014

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Change of command tomorrow. I bought $120 in large medals so I can dong the bell a few times for the official party before I post to a chair for 30 minutes. At least I get the rest of the day off.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
a former co-worker on group e-mails would sign "V/R and R"

you know...because we can't risk inadvertently V/Ring someone of inferior rank.

He also made a point of using R with me because, as he often reminded me, he was 37 lineal numbers ahead of me.

This is the same fucktard who had me counseled for using the F bomb.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I just use respectfully for everything. V/R is retarded and don't use shorthand.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Haha what the gently caress all of this e-mail stuff is crazy.

First name basis with peers.

V/R,
(RATE OR RANK)
with everyone else in the command, because they know it's you because your name is in the FROM line.

V/R,
(RATE OR RANK, NAME)
(COMMAND)
(PHONE)
for anyone outside of your command. Any deviations from the above makes you a weirdo. Lemme R/ you so you know you're an inferior lol

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

im super happy i never had to email anyone in a professional manner when i was in

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Thread needs more butts or dogges or something

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Respectfully Request an end to this bullshit.

Yours,
STS2(SS) ded
USS Los Ustafish, SSN gofuckyourself

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Oh what's this? The entire clinic is shut down today for a "command function"? That must be nice to just say, "gently caress it command picnic is top priority. gently caress our customers an I right?"

For fucks sake, at least pretend like you give a poo poo and use the old "command training" excuse so it at least looks like you might actually be pretending to be in the loving Navy for once in your worthless lives.

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret
Just take Motrin, that's all you would get anyway.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

poo poo I used work as an excuse to not go to those command events

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
drat you goons like email chat. I have gotten 2 EPs in a row because I have a high vis collateral (that I do very well, mind you) and I tell the XO/CO the truth without bullshitting them. I have the answers before they ask the questions and I smile and say "sir" a lot. I massage the Dept. Head's egos and I am painfully polite, pleasant, and efficient. My peers hate me because they think I'm sucking up. Don't hate the player, hate the game. Also, concur that Chiefs suck at ranking. They're dumb in groups and have agendas, always. And if your CMC sucks? (and lets face it, they do) forget it.

Very Respectfully, (because abbreviations are lazy, especially when you have the sig saved anyway, you fucks)
STGC(SW) Poopkitty

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

buttplug posted:

What loving command is that that *requires* that. I have never, ever seen a command anywhere encourage such absurd email signatures. The closest thing to that kind of toolbaggery that I've seen is FLTCYBERCOM(FCC)/C10F which has a specific format for their signature blocks and for whatever reason (as if anybody cares) forces now-civilian retired Navy to sign their emails with their rank (ret) like it actually holds any weight.

We even have to have a disclaimer akin to a DeviantArt copywrite at the bottom pretty much saying "promise you'll delete this if you weren't supposed to see it".

ManMythLegend, not to call bullshit on your evals system but not all commands had some dudes like you did. The people that do my ranking are patients that see how hard I work to achieve a satisfactory end product for them and thank me for it, just as I do it with all my patients. The person that gets the EP is literally the volunteering kid that no one ever sees because they're off getting bake sales and meetings together. I imagine they sit down and think "who is doing the best work" and keep that person in mind for an end of tour award like a NAM (even though we just give out FLOCs) and then they look at the people getting bake sales and poo poo done and figure "let's give it to them because they're helping the organization".

poo poo like that is why most of us want to get out in the first place. Our jobs aren't too bad when you think about and can be kind of cool. Fixing radios, shooting poo poo, making tons of metal move across hundreds of nautical miles, having the possibility of affecting someone's life. But there's idiots all around us, the kind that you hear from other people "that's a lovely sailor" and the kind that people go "oh gently caress I can't wait until they move him to the USS SHORTBUS", they end up in leadership positions and gently caress it up for everyone. Some people weather it well and have a support of other like-minded people to show them it's not full of SN Fuckstick, Chief Gomer and CAPT Pile. Others don't and know a PO1 that hasn't changed from SN Fuckstick and just keeps advancing with knee pads and command involvement. If you don't want to play the game, don't sign a new contract.

Edit: Also lol, some clinics are so small like in my command that when providers are forced to deal in command involvement we can have gaps in the schedule and it's effectively like we are closed. So sorry MML, often times we have no power even if we want to just stay at work rather than seeing a bunch of rear end holes at a picnic.

Pandasmores fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Nov 20, 2014

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Pandasmores posted:

We even have to have a disclaimer akin to a DeviantArt copywrite at the bottom pretty much saying "promise you'll delete this if you weren't supposed to see it".

ManMythLegend, not to call bullshit on your evals system but not all commands had some dudes like you did. The people that do my ranking are patients that see how hard I work to achieve a satisfactory end product for them and thank me for it, just as I do it with all my patients. The person that gets the EP is literally the volunteering kid that no one ever sees because they're off getting bake sales and meetings together. I imagine they sit down and think "who is doing the best work" and keep that person in mind for an end of tour award like a NAM (even though we just give out FLOCs) and then they look at the people getting bake sales and poo poo done and figure "let's give it to them because they're helping the organization".

poo poo like that is why most of us want to get out in the first place. Our jobs aren't too bad when you think about and can be kind of cool. Fixing radios, shooting poo poo, making tons of metal move across hundreds of nautical miles, having the possibility of affecting someone's life. But there's idiots all around us, the kind that you hear from other people "that's a lovely sailor" and the kind that people go "oh gently caress I can't wait until they move him to the USS SHORTBUS", they end up in leadership positions and gently caress it up for everyone. Some people weather it well and have a support of other like-minded people to show them it's not full of SN Fuckstick, Chief Gomer and CAPT Pile. Others don't and know a PO1 that hasn't changed from SN Fuckstick and just keeps advancing with knee pads and command involvement. If you don't want to play the game, don't sign a new contract.

Edit: Also lol, some clinics are so small like in my command that when providers are forced to deal in command involvement we can have gaps in the schedule and it's effectively like we are closed. So sorry MML, often times we have no power even if we want to just stay at work rather than seeing a bunch of rear end holes at a picnic.

^This. LT "V/R and R" was ranked ahead of me by the same department head who counseled me for using the f bomb because it hurt LT "V/R and R's" ears (who incidentally used "LCDR (SEL)" as part of his signature. I had objectively don tons more work, and in fact had been brought on twice to his cases to try to unfuck them at the last minute. So I asked why the rankings came out the way they did. "Well he organized the change of command" "Oh...you mean the collateral duty that's technically mine, but I couldn't do because you sent me on travel handling all the out of area cases while he never left base?"

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I usually just tell people that being in the Navy is like being a whore. The better you are the more you get hosed.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Boon posted:

I usually just tell people that being in the Navy is like being a whore. The better you are the more you get hosed.
Welp found the new inspirational quote for my email signature

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
My wife just joked that if her job eliminates her team's product (and by extension, her and a hundred well-paying e.e. jobs), she'll join the Navy.

:suicide:

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Angry Fish posted:

My wife just joked that if her job eliminates her team's product (and by extension, her and a hundred well-paying e.e. jobs), she'll join the Navy.

being a dependapotamus sounds dope tho

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

DownByTheWooter posted:

being a dependapotamus sounds dope tho

No.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
You can go to FRG meetings and just talk relentless poo poo all the time.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm really proud that it took me half a minute to figure out just what the gently caress FRG meant, and that I never ever had anything to do with the family readiness group and their weird "I am[married to] the CMC," beady-eyed politicking.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Angry Fish posted:

I'm really proud that it took me half a minute to figure out just what the gently caress FRG meant, and that I never ever had anything to do with the family readiness group and their weird "I am[married to] the CMC," beady-eyed politicking.

I spent my entire military career childless and unmarried, resulting in my leaving the service with like 20k in cash lmao at anyone with dependents

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Pandasmores posted:

If a clinic is so tiny that they have to completely shut down to have a command picnic (which this one is not), then perhaps they should schedule said picnic for after working hours and not at loving 1230 with a sign up saying they're done for the rest of the day.

I mean I know that might be a little too much to ask.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

My husband's reserve unit CO asked if I was interested in being ombudsman. Oh he has no idea.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Angry Fish posted:

You...you do tell her about the navy right?

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

PneumonicBook posted:

You...you do tell her about the navy right?

She thinks like a person who has gone through the Russian 90s -- stability is the most important thing in the world, especially for families, and the world is not stable. I get it.

So far, she's seen nothing good in regards to the job market in the states. She has two grad degrees, and she just saw 80 people get laid off from every division and only 12 of them got picked up by the company for positions in Texas. Then her boss comes up and wrecks her mood with some pep talk, telling her that she was saved from the cuts because she gave a poo poo about her job (she didn't hear this part), and that her work colleague helped save her slot by choosing to go to Poland (she hears only this). It took her 10 months to find this position as she worked lovely lovely $12-18/hr field tech work far below her skill level.

It's not happening. She'll find work elsewhere if Nokia decides to self-immolate their only core business left to become a fabless, productless husk with only a name to license out. She has marketable skills. But she brought it up again today and for a moment I'm thinking, "she's not joking...?"

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

ActusRhesus posted:

^This. LT "V/R and R" was ranked ahead of me by the same department head who counseled me for using the f bomb because it hurt LT "V/R and R's" ears (who incidentally used "LCDR (SEL)" as part of his signature. I had objectively don tons more work, and in fact had been brought on twice to his cases to try to unfuck them at the last minute. So I asked why the rankings came out the way they did. "Well he organized the change of command" "Oh...you mean the collateral duty that's technically mine, but I couldn't do because you sent me on travel handling all the out of area cases while he never left base?"

A large portion of FITREP ranking is based around making sure you don't inadvertently send a negative message to the board first, and actual performance second. Presumably, if he ended up selecting for LCDR while there, he had been there for a while and was going up for a board. If he had previously been ranked 1/X or whatever before you got there, it gets risky moving him down (or keeping him in the same place) so you're the 1/X or the EP or whatever because that shows a negative trend to the board and would likely put him at the top of the FOS pile in the tank. If the CO really did want to do that, and rank you over him for your superior performance, he has to be willing to effectively say your performance is so good (or his so bad) that it is worth potentially forcing him out of the Navy. If career timing works out so that you'll be there longer, or you're relatively new at a command, etc. that's all figured into the rankings just as much as actual performance because the command generally wants the flexibility to be able to move people up in trait average and ranking to show a positive trend throughout your entire time at the command, which they can't do if they make you the 5.0 EP superstar early, even if you deserve it.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004
On the officer side you should *always* trend to the right. Even if you *are* a rockstar when you show up to a command, your first FITREP should almost always be a P, *maybe* MP depending on your competitive group and you should be right at or maybe *slightly* below your CO's average. Next FITREP should trend right (and you should be above his average) and be MP, your last FITREP should be an EP goodbye kiss and should be well above his average. At least, at a good command that's generally how it's supposed to work. You should never, ever trend down at a command with the exception of when the CO PCS'es and therefore your reporting senior resets, and then you should continue to trend right from whatever his baseline his.

So yea, even if the words on your FITREP are stellar, if your command accidentally fucks up and you trend left without the appropriate explanation in the fitrep (i.e. downward trend not indicative of decreased member performance but of lower reporting senior avg)... Stupid admin poo poo.

ActusRhesus posted:

I know all this. LCDR (SEL) was the department head. I had gotten there first.

I can't believe he/she didn't get called out for that. Pretty much the only time I've seen be appropriate for someone to include (SEL) in emails if if they were selected for flag. RDML(SEL) carries incredibly more positional authority and latitude.

buttplug fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 21, 2014

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Octopode posted:

A large portion of FITREP ranking is based around making sure you don't inadvertently send a negative message to the board first, and actual performance second. Presumably, if he ended up selecting for LCDR while there, he had been there for a while and was going up for a board. If he had previously been ranked 1/X or whatever before you got there, it gets risky moving him down (or keeping him in the same place) so you're the 1/X or the EP or whatever because that shows a negative trend to the board and would likely put him at the top of the FOS pile in the tank. If the CO really did want to do that, and rank you over him for your superior performance, he has to be willing to effectively say your performance is so good (or his so bad) that it is worth potentially forcing him out of the Navy. If career timing works out so that you'll be there longer, or you're relatively new at a command, etc. that's all figured into the rankings just as much as actual performance because the command generally wants the flexibility to be able to move people up in trait average and ranking to show a positive trend throughout your entire time at the command, which they can't do if they make you the 5.0 EP superstar early, even if you deserve it.

I know all this. LCDR (SEL) was the department head. I had gotten there first, and would be leaving first because I was unaccompanied. LT V/R and R was a blue falcon piece of poo poo but he kissed rear end well and made sure everyone knew that with his "37 lineal numbers ahead of mine" he *might* be up for O4 first. Maybe.

ActusRhesus fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Nov 21, 2014

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
This makes me chuckle as I remember how often I'd see filthy proletarians going "CTI2 (SEL)". I just got pinged by someone claiming to be my LPO that I never turned in my evals, then got pissed when I said it had to go through CAO first and they wouldn't have it by COB. Then I got repeatedly asked who was in charge, then got yelled at for being the NCOIC. And it closed with "Why the hell didn't you contact me sooner?"

Bitch I didn't even know my old LPO got out of the Navy until you called. She might be mad because yesterday when she called for me, the guy on shift convinced her for five minutes I was deployed to Afghanistan.

R.

PO1 Analogical (GIP)
1MGUR JLAW Analyst
NIOC-SA
666-6669

Analogical fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Nov 21, 2014

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Are we going to start ironically signing all our posts with bad email sigs?

Please. No. Please no stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I hope so because

Analogical posted:

1MGUR JLAW Analyst

Has me losing my poo poo

• Locked thread