Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Kaizoku posted:

Wiki has the complaints against legacy filevault listed and they're more than that. One person making a short statement doesn't represent the argument as a whole.

What the? FileVault 1 isn't relevant, its time in the sun was very short and it is clearly on its way out in modern versions of OS X (*). The recent posts in this thread are talking about whether it's a good or bad thing to go along with Yosemite pushing you to enable FileVault 2, which is entirely different technology from the ground up.

* - Mavericks still "supports" FV1 (haven't experimented with Yosemite so IDK whether it's gone now). However, it's very firmly deprecated. You can't create new FV1 user accounts. (From the GUI, anyways, there might be a way to do it from the command line but I didn't investigate that.) The only way to get one into Mavericks is to perform an upgrade install over a 10.6 system, or to use Migration Assistant to copy a 10.6 FV1 user account into Mavericks. When you do either of these, Mavericks will warn you about how FV1 is not really maintained any more, you're taking your life into your own hands, and you should really decrypt the FV1 account by clicking this handy button and then go enable FV2 like a sane person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Kaizoku posted:

Wiki has the complaints against legacy filevault listed and they're more than that. One person making a short statement doesn't represent the argument as a whole.

Yes, makes a lot of sense to scare away new users asking about FileVault with ominous one-word comments because pre-10.7 it had some issues. Really good and useful advice to someone who just bought a new Mac and is oh-so likely to install 10.6 when their hardware isn't even supported by it.

I'd try to give people some context.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

flavor posted:

Yes, makes a lot of sense to scare away new users asking about FileVault with ominous one-word comments because pre-10.7 it had some issues. Really good and useful advice to someone who just bought a new Mac and is oh-so likely to install 10.6 when their hardware isn't even supported by it.

I'd try to give people some context.

I somehow missed that v2 was specifically being spoke of, and was thinking "There was good reason to criticise filevault, the old criticisms had merit.". So, I am a moron and edited the post to acknowledge that. Sorry!

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
I have an OS X partition on an external SSD which is connected through a Thunderbolt cable. After the new Yosemite update, it looks like it's going to boot (I get the white apple logo on the black background and the bar fills), but then it boots to a black screen with just a cursor. Has anyone heard of this or have any idea how to fix it? Samsung SSD btw.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
I installed chrome on my MBP (just got it on the weekend), not knowing it was 32 bit only. Finally did some math work (uni site requires java to run some of the graphical stuff) and I rapidly learn of this fact, only to find this was released today as well. Thought it might be of interest: http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.ca/2014/11/stable-channel-update_18.html

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
No more home directory encryption? You mean someone can't create an account on a machine without some other admin having the ability to peek into it?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Rekka posted:

Anybody else find the UI in 10.10.1 much snappier, especially Safari. Just the entire experience seems more fluid and the animations seem smoother.
Not sure about UI fluidity but the main thing I've noticed is DNS lookups don't seem to take forever, same issue that appears to have been fixed in iOS 8.1.1 for me.

beergod posted:

I have an OS X partition on an external SSD which is connected through a Thunderbolt cable. After the new Yosemite update, it looks like it's going to boot (I get the white apple logo on the black background and the bar fills), but then it boots to a black screen with just a cursor. Has anyone heard of this or have any idea how to fix it? Samsung SSD btw.
I had this a few weeks ago (i.e. before the update) and never really figured it out. I was messing with making my own SSL certs then the system choked on one of the security agent approval popups, which required me to force shut down. On the next boot I got that same black screen, I did some generic stuff (below) then everything was fine afterwards :iiam:

In any case see if you can boot into the recovery partition (if you have that) and might as well check the disks while you're there, then open up startup disk and make sure it's on the right disk and restart and hope it works. Could also try verbose (cmd-v on boot) and/or safe mode (shift on boot).

Actually there's another weird thing I've been experiencing, the bootup is fine except when the progress bar shows up everything goes black except the progress bar in the bottom left corner. Everything before/after that is completely normal.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Coolwhoami posted:

I installed chrome on my MBP (just got it on the weekend), not knowing it was 32 bit only. Finally did some math work (uni site requires java to run some of the graphical stuff) and I rapidly learn of this fact, only to find this was released today as well. Thought it might be of interest: http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.ca/2014/11/stable-channel-update_18.html

Weird, for some reason Chrome didn't autoupdate to 39 and is still saying it's up to date even though I'm running 38. Is this a common thing to happen?

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
If anyone is interested in getting 1Password, there is a coupon code MacPowerUsers that takes 20% off and the software which happens to already be on sale. So for the dual license windows/mac bundle I was able to get it for: $48.99 - $9.80 = $39.19 final price.

JHVH-1 fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 19, 2014

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

dik-dik posted:

Weird, for some reason Chrome didn't autoupdate to 39 and is still saying it's up to date even though I'm running 38. Is this a common thing to happen?

It did the same thing for me. Apparently it should update to it because there is no longer a 32 version to be maintained, but you can install it from here: https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I need a really minimal, fast-loading GPU test, something like glxgears but without the X11 dependency. It's going to run for maybe 5 seconds at a time as part of an automated validation suite. It should output results to a file or standard output (console). Does anyone know anything that fits the bill?

edit: looks like the aptly-named GpuTest works just fine.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 20, 2014

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

dik-dik posted:

I presume there is some delay before the 32 to 64-bit upgrade and the current patching is only like-for-like.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

JHVH-1 posted:

If anyone is interested in getting 1Password, there is a coupon code MacPowerUsers that takes 20% off and the software which happens to already be on sale. So for the dual license windows/mac bundle I was able to get it for: $48.99 - $9.80 = $39.19 final price.

Note that if you buy it from their web store rather than Apple's App Store you don't get iCloud syncing. Obviously not a thing you care about if you're syncing with Windows, but I thought I'd point it out in case it mattered to anyone else.

dirtyfrog
Apr 15, 2003

The Fantastic Fapping Frog
I had a link recently to a good guide on installing Windows to an external hard drive, which appeals as I'd only use it rarely so don't want to give up disk space for bootcamp. Buggered if I can find the link again though, and my google-fu is just finding info on formatting drives so they can be read on both. Anyone done this recently?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I remember this one from a while ago:
http://dadhacks.dadpower.net/post/47998058347/set-up-bootcamp-on-an-external-thunderbolt-drive

And while looking for that one I found this one:
https://www.twocanoes.com/winclone/support/migrate-windows-8-to-an-external-drive-using-winclone-4.3-and-later

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

dirtyfrog posted:

I had a link recently to a good guide on installing Windows to an external hard drive, which appeals as I'd only use it rarely so don't want to give up disk space for bootcamp. Buggered if I can find the link again though, and my google-fu is just finding info on formatting drives so they can be read on both. Anyone done this recently?

Here's a link to the guide I used: http://bleeptobleep.blogspot.fr/2013/02/mac-install-windows-7-or-8-on-external.html

It was way easier than I expected (and works fantastically), though it does require access to a Windows computer or a virtualized Windows install on your Mac. I should note that the guide did get one small fact wrong--when you boot from the external, there's no need to wait for the chime to press the option key. You can press and hold it as soon as the computer shuts down and it'll boot into the boot drive picker.

Also a quick (I guess fairly obvious) side note that isn't covered in the guide: after holding down option while booting you'll see three drives; your Mac's HD, one labeled Bootcamp, and one labeled EFI. You'll want to select Bootcamp to boot to Windows, since EFI, well, takes you to Windows' EFI menu. Once or twice the EFI drive has appeared before Bootcamp drive did; just wait a few seconds and the Bootcamp drive should appear.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Nov 20, 2014

dirtyfrog
Apr 15, 2003

The Fantastic Fapping Frog
Thanks guys, japtor's links look a little more straightforward so I'm gonna give that a try.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Are there mouse configuration utilities out there that can perform a series of clicks / keystrokes? I'm doing some repetitive work and I need this sequence:

Double click, cmd-E, cmd-shift-F, return

edit: or I could Google it and find BetterTouchTool myself

lord funk fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 20, 2014

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

dirtyfrog posted:

Thanks guys, japtor's links look a little more straightforward so I'm gonna give that a try.

They're a little easier. In my case I didn't want to do Bootcamp in the first place (I already filled too much of my SSD before wanting to run Windows) and installing Windows to... install Windows seemed backwards to me. But then again I had a Windows PC to use, so that made it easy for me.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Since I upgraded to Yosemite, it seems Steam's overlay support is broken. I keep going where they tell me to go and re-enabling Steam, and I still keep being told Steam needs additional system permissions to put up overlay.

Is this a thing easily fixed, or do I just say gently caress it and disable the overlay for now?

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

Craptacular! posted:

Since I upgraded to Yosemite, it seems Steam's overlay support is broken. I keep going where they tell me to go and re-enabling Steam, and I still keep being told Steam needs additional system permissions to put up overlay.

Is this a thing easily fixed, or do I just say gently caress it and disable the overlay for now?

It's been discussed in the Mac gaming thread and is a known issue. Some people have had success by removing Steam from that list in the Accessibility window and letting it re-add itself, but others have not. Also, others claim to have had the problem repeatedly in Mavericks where in my experience it worked as it should in Mavericks. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the bug.

I'm having the same issue since updating to Yosemite. I've tried repairing permissions, removing it from the list and granting it permission but it always seems to forget the next time I restart my computer.

On another note related to Mac gaming, I was having some piss poor performance until I enabled "Reduce Transparency." It's really sad, actually, cause translucency has been a thing in computing since..forever and it's certainly not a lack of horsepower with my computer. It just seems odd it would have such a profound effect on graphical performance.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!

decypher posted:

It's been discussed in the Mac gaming thread and is a known issue. Some people have had success by removing Steam from that list in the Accessibility window and letting it re-add itself, but others have not. Also, others claim to have had the problem repeatedly in Mavericks where in my experience it worked as it should in Mavericks. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the bug.

I'm having the same issue since updating to Yosemite. I've tried repairing permissions, removing it from the list and granting it permission but it always seems to forget the next time I restart my computer.

On another note related to Mac gaming, I was having some piss poor performance until I enabled "Reduce Transparency." It's really sad, actually, cause translucency has been a thing in computing since..forever and it's certainly not a lack of horsepower with my computer. It just seems odd it would have such a profound effect on graphical performance.

Known bug discussed earlier in the thread due to windowserver, upgrading the latest version of osx seemed to help mine a ton.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
All this discussion about gaming tweaks for performance made me curious so I figured out you can change the transparency setting via defaults like so:

code:
defaults write ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.universalaccess.plist reduceTransparency -bool true
But I don't see the change appears immediately like when I do it via the system preferences panel, anyone know why this is the case? I want to add a context in ControlPlane to enable it when I launch steam.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Is there still no way when using FileVault2 to require the username be manually inputted at login? I was hoping they might change this with Yosemite.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

dik-dik posted:

Mine just updated to 64-bit r39.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

spongeworthy posted:

Is there still no way when using FileVault2 to require the username be manually inputted at login? I was hoping they might change this with Yosemite.

There is not. The unlock screen lists enabled users.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Ashex posted:

All this discussion about gaming tweaks for performance made me curious so I figured out you can change the transparency setting via defaults like so:

code:
defaults write ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.universalaccess.plist reduceTransparency -bool true
But I don't see the change appears immediately like when I do it via the system preferences panel, anyone know why this is the case? I want to add a context in ControlPlane to enable it when I launch steam.

Hey Ashex, guess what? I made you an app.

download it here

The first time you run it it will demand you give it universal access. Do it, check the box. Thereafter any time you run it it will open up system preferences, go to the right pane, toggle your transparency, and quit system preferences again. Hook it up to wherever. It's cool.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

Sonic Dude posted:

There is not. The unlock screen lists enabled users.

He's referring to using the Name and Password fields vs. the list.

spongeworthy posted:

There won't ever be according to a discussion with an Apple engineer a while back. It's "technically impossible" due to something with the firmware and FileVault.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Well poo poo, thanks.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

chaosbreather posted:

Hey Ashex, guess what? I made you an app.

download it here

The first time you run it it will demand you give it universal access. Do it, check the box. Thereafter any time you run it it will open up system preferences, go to the right pane, toggle your transparency, and quit system preferences again. Hook it up to wherever. It's cool.

:aaa:

That is awesome, definitely going to use that now. Thanks!

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000
Be careful about updating to the developer seed of 10.10.2, because Chrome crashes completely on it. It's noted here, but I can't find any kind of fix.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Shin-chan posted:

He's referring to using the Name and Password fields vs. the list.

There won't ever be according to a discussion with an Apple engineer a while back. It's "technically impossible" due to something with the firmware and FileVault.

Probably something to do with the fact that when you boot with FV2 enabled, the "login" screen is actually put up by the firmware before OS X has booted. I don't think it would have full information about user accounts or associated settings at that point, you have to enter a password to unlock the disk before it can possibly have access to everything.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Wow BetterTouchTool is buggy as hell, at least on Yosemite.

Rexim
Jun 2, 2006

I wants flies in on a dragons, okay?
Is anyone else having trouble with Youtube in Safari? Videos will not play on either my iMac or Air (both running 10.10.1) but will play on my iPhone. This just started happening today and as far as I know I haven't changed anything recently (other than upgrading to 10.10.1)

serbp
Nov 30, 2013

Rexim posted:

Is anyone else having trouble with Youtube in Safari? Videos will not play on either my iMac or Air (both running 10.10.1) but will play on my iPhone. This just started happening today and as far as I know I haven't changed anything recently (other than upgrading to 10.10.1)

Yeah I'm having the same problem. I've just been using Chrome to temporarily fix the issue. Has there been any word on why this is happening?

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Rexim posted:

Do you have YouTube set to HTML5 and the Safari AdBlock extension active? With that set up, YouTube tells me I have to install Flash, I turn off AdBlock, refresh the page and the video plays. This just started happening about last week for me. I'm on 10.10.1.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

lord funk posted:

Wow BetterTouchTool is buggy as hell, at least on Yosemite.

What problems are you having? I'm running 0.9986 and it seems to be working fine for me on Yosemite. Only issue I have is the same issue I've had with it before where it sometimes crashes when my computer goes to sleep but I set up SleepWatcher to relaunch it whenever my computer wakes from sleep and that hasn't been a problem since.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

dik-dik posted:

What problems are you having? I'm running 0.9986 and it seems to be working fine for me on Yosemite. Only issue I have is the same issue I've had with it before where it sometimes crashes when my computer goes to sleep but I set up SleepWatcher to relaunch it whenever my computer wakes from sleep and that hasn't been a problem since.

This is running it for one day:

1. The UI misses mouse clicks. Choosing an option for the Predefined Actions after opening a disclosure arrow opens a different disclosure instead of selecting the option.
2. It decided to move a sequence of actions from one mouse button into their own individual actions. It did this while I was in another app, and brought itself into app focus.
3. It quit by itself.
4. It deleted a button after I added a second one.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

dik-dik posted:

The BTT guy tweeted a bit ago to not use BTT on 10.10.2, since apparently it's broke as gently caress there. That said ^^^, I'm on .9985 (regular update stream) and haven't noticed anything odd.

VVVV Doing so also lets you use the connected phone as a microphone in a screen recording, which is probably handy if you don't have a working/compatible microphone. Be nice if that was extended to the rest of the system at some point.

Zenostein fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Semi useful (or pointless) trick for Yosemite and iOS 8 device people I just remembered, you can mirror the iOS screen in QT Player when connected with the USB cable. Not sure what the minimum device or other requirements are though. Anyway you hook up the cable and in QT Player you select new movie recording (don't have to actually record), and change the input to the iOS device. Doesn't look like it shows as an input to anything else (at least FaceTime and Messages) though.

Rexim posted:

I saw it mentioned on some various Mac sites so it's not just you :iiam:. It's working here through ClickToPlugin.