Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
If you start to see a kink your cable near the lightening end and it's been less than a year since you bought it you can usually swap it at an Apple store. Once the outside plastic starts to peel away though you will probably not be successful in this attempt so catch it early (with the year).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Hummingbirds are a legal tender.
Using my wife's 6 I noticed that when typing, there is a blur animation when swapping between words for the predictive text, but on my 6+ they just pop from word to word. Doesn't matter and I think I kinda prefer the no animation on the 6+ but it got me wondering what else might be different for iOS on the 6+. I assume its to take the scaling and extra processor work into account, right? Is stuff like that documented somewhere?

Edit: Call off Wordblurgate, problem solved, Reduce Motion changes all that stuff too, which was on.

Bird Law fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 20, 2014

Amber Alert
Aug 28, 2009

fuk cyka

Bird Law posted:

Using my wife's 6 I noticed that when typing, there is a blur animation when swapping between words for the predictive text, but on my 6+ they just pop from word to word. Doesn't matter and I think I kinda prefer the no animation on the 6+ but it got me wondering what else might be different for iOS on the 6+. I assume its to take the scaling and extra processor work into account, right? Is stuff like that documented somewhere?
Does your phone have reduce motion enabled?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

IUG posted:

I still have to go into the bluetooth settings and tell it to reconnect to the dock every time, though.

Starting with iOS 8, I've had to do the same in my car. Annoying.

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Hummingbirds are a legal tender.

Amber Alert posted:

Does your phone have reduce motion enabled?

Yep, that was it. I don't remember turning it on, but apparently I did. And now I see all the little movements again, thanks.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

noirstronaut posted:

How do y'all manage to use a cable incorrectly

They're holding it wrong of course.

lookoutbelow
Mar 3, 2004

BGrifter posted:

They're holding it wrong of course.

:drat:

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

So is there some particular reason why I would have multiple message threads going for a single contact? Seems like my 6+ will randomly start a new thread when my wife messsages me.

She's only got one contact entry, and these are iMessage messages. Nothing has changed in terms of phone numbers or email addresses assigned to either of our iMessage accounts.

Sychopath
Sep 27, 2000

Maneki Neko posted:

So is there some particular reason why I would have multiple message threads going for a single contact? Seems like my 6+ will randomly start a new thread when my wife messsages me.

She's only got one contact entry, and these are iMessage messages. Nothing has changed in terms of phone numbers or email addresses assigned to either of our iMessage accounts.

Is she using different devices to send you these messages? It could be that the "start conversation from" setting is different on the devices that she is using.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Maneki Neko posted:

Are you sure one of you didn't start sending to or from an email address by accident? You have to tap Details, then the "i" to see, but it's definitely tripped me up.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
Are there any tips to getting the finger sensor to reliably work? At least 1/2 the time it doesnt recognize my thumb scan and frequently it misses it multiple times so i end up having to input my passcode.

Ive rescanned my thumb multiple times and it seems like it makes it better for a day or two then it starts errorig again. I also have multiple saved scans of my thumb which may have helped a bit but its definitely not foolproof.

This is on my 6+. My wife has a 6 and also has the same issues.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Try keeping yourselves clean and dry. Dirty and wetness are the top reasons why Touch ID fails.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Sychopath posted:

Is she using different devices to send you these messages? It could be that the "start conversation from" setting is different on the devices that she is using.

As far as I can tell these were all from her iPhone.

Kobayashi posted:

Are you sure one of you didn't start sending to or from an email address by accident? You have to tap Details, then the "i" to see, but it's definitely tripped me up.

I suspect she just used my contact entry to make a new message, maybe phone arbitrarily picking one? I ended up deleting the threads to see what happens on new posts, so we shall see.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Nope this is just what happens to them. This is the one that came with my 5 a couple years ago:

Nope, it's not "just what happens to them"

I have cords everywhere. Even the old 30pin ones that still get tons of use from my wife's iPad. I have never in my life had that happen to me.

Best estimate: I have 6 lightning cables between here and work, and have two 30pin (and have had several more which are probably still in a drawer) and never seen that happen to a one of them.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Feenix posted:

Nope, it's not "just what happens to them"

I have cords everywhere. Even the old 30pin ones that still get tons of use from my wife's iPad. I have never in my life had that happen to me.

Best estimate: I have 6 lightning cables between here and work, and have two 30pin (and have had several more which are probably still in a drawer) and never seen that happen to a one of them.

Hmm your right.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Hmm your right.

The only thing I am trying to be right about is the that the statement "it's just what happens to them" is not true.

It doesn't JUST happen to them. Or else everyone who had them and used them would have cords that looked like a squirrel was eating them. :)

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Feenix posted:

The only thing I am trying to be right about is the that the statement "it's just what happens to them" is not true.

It doesn't JUST happen to them. Or else everyone who had them and used them would have cords that looked like a squirrel was eating them. :)

I wonder if it's environment related, east coast here. No damage ever.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I wonder if it's environment related, east coast here. No damage ever.

West coast here, all my cords look brand new. Must be a southern thing. :banjo:

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
You are all stupid loving smug goons.

It happens due to fatigue which is caused by actively using your phone while it's plugged in.

My wife does this all the time. She has the cable plugged in the bottom and then it rests on her chest/comforter etc. causing the cable to be bent at like a 90 degree angle. They barely last a few months if this is done commonly. She's already been through 3 lightning cables. They're pieces of poo poo and are not reinforced enough near the Lightning plug.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Bum the Sad posted:

It happens due to fatigue which is caused by actively using your phone while it's plugged in.

My wife does this all the time. She has the cable plugged in the bottom and then it rests on her chest/comforter etc. causing the cable to be bent at like a 90 degree angle. They barely last a few months if this is done commonly. She's already been through 3 lightning cables. They're pieces of poo poo and are not reinforced enough near the Lightning plug.

weird none of my cables are torn and i use my phone so much

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

noirstronaut posted:

weird none of my cables are torn and i use my phone so much
Trust me. They fray like a mother fucker. Your first sign is the sheath close to the lightning connector starting to get "wrinkly" then it separates. Then it frays and look rat eaten.

It used to happen to me and then I stopped using it while plugged in it at least being conscious of not bending it there. Since then my cables have lasted way longer. My wife doesn't give a gently caress so hers keep breaking.

That's my own little research trial.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Out of five Lightning cables I've had, three ended up heavy frayed (although not quite as bad as that picture) to the point of needing electrical tape. I've been using them in the exact same way I used my 30-pin cables which didn't show any signs of wear and tear at all after a couple of years.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Goddammit Apple, when I intentionally break my things why do they end up broken? :argh:

This wouldn't have happened under Steve.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Bum the Sad posted:

My wife does this all the time. She has the cable plugged in the bottom and then it rests on her chest/comforter etc. causing the cable to be bent at like a 90 degree angle.

Soooo, basically "misuse."

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

Bum the Sad posted:

Your wife is abusing her cables by regularly bending them 90 degrees at the connector. Stop blaming manufacturers for it.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
Jesus Christ this thread is pathetic. The cables break for a variety of reasons. Some people are lucky and others are not. Maybe its because some cables are poorly made while others are made better. Who the gently caress knows?

Can we please go back to bitching about 2hr EDM mixes because that honestly was better than this retarded argument.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

13 employees in my store, all with at least one device that uses lightning cables, and not a single one has had a frayed lightning cable. We've had cables go bad, but not a single one fray.

However, we swap out frayed lightning cables for customers on a daily basis. We're all mostly convinced it's how people are unplugging their cables, but who really knows.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Being smug about your poo poo not breaking is hilarious. Reminds me of my GameFAQs days as a kid where anybody mentioning a PS2 disc read error would be followed up by fifty people screaming "MINE'S WORKING FINE YOU MUST BE AN IDIOT BABY :smuggo: "

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Feenix posted:

Nah it's use. I expect a $20 3 foot piece of wire to be robust enough that you don't have treat it like a loving venomous snake.

Misuse would be using it as a tow cable or to lash down a Christmas tree to the roof of a station wagon.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Nov 21, 2014

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

illcendiary posted:

Being smug about your poo poo not breaking is hilarious. Reminds me of my GameFAQs days as a kid where anybody mentioning a PS2 disc read error would be followed up by fifty people screaming "MINE'S WORKING FINE YOU MUST BE AN IDIOT BABY :smuggo: "

My launch 360 still hasn't red ringed.

And my lightning cables haven't frayed.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

My launch 360 still hasn't red ringed.

And my lightning cables haven't frayed.

Go buy a bunch of lottery tickets

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Brock Landers posted:

Your wife is abusing her cables by regularly bending them 90 degrees at the connector. Stop blaming manufacturers for it.

If the $25 cables were made with normal strain relief and a decent sized plug then 90% of them wouldn't break under normal use.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 21, 2014

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

~Coxy posted:

If the $25 cables were made with normal strain relief and a decent sized plug then 90% of them wouldn't break under normal use.

Exactly. When one brands cable carries a 500% price premium you'd expect it to be a little more durable.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Feenix posted:

No that's a pretty common use case and if the manufacturer wants to call it misuse instead of designing cables with strain relief then they deserve criticism.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

No that's a pretty common use case and if the manufacturer wants to call it misuse instead of designing cables with strain relief then they deserve criticism.

Yeah I don't see how you can say using a cable while lying in bed is misuse.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.
Hey cable abusers:
"Certain usage patterns can contribute to the fraying or breaking of cables. The Lightning to USB Cable, like any other metal wire or cable, is subject to becoming weak or brittle if repeatedly bent in the same spot. Aim for gentle curves instead of angles in the cable"

From the iPhone User's Guide under "Important handling information". Don't say Apple didn't tell you not to bend your cables at 90 angles.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Lightning cable is the best cable. Thank you Apple.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Bum the Sad posted:

Yeah I don't see how you can say using a cable while lying in bed is misuse.

You're downplaying your own previous statements.

I "use my cable while laying in bed" every night.

I do not " rest my phone on my chest where the cord is bent 90 degrees at the neck".

[edit]

Brock Landers posted:

Hey cable abusers:
"Certain usage patterns can contribute to the fraying or breaking of cables. The Lightning to USB Cable, like any other metal wire or cable, is subject to becoming weak or brittle if repeatedly bent in the same spot. Aim for gentle curves instead of angles in the cable"

From the iPhone User's Guide under "Important handling information". Don't say Apple didn't tell you not to bend your cables at 90 angles.

You go, girl!

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Feenix posted:

You're downplaying your own previous statements.

I "use my cable while laying in bed" every night.

I do not " rest my phone on my chest where the cord is bent 90 degrees at the neck".

Wait... So if you abuse and misuse a product it can fail?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bum the Sad posted:

Trust me. They fray like a mother fucker. Your first sign is the sheath close to the lightning connector starting to get "wrinkly" then it separates. Then it frays and look rat eaten.

It used to happen to me and then I stopped using it while plugged in it at least being conscious of not bending it there. Since then my cables have lasted way longer. My wife doesn't give a gently caress so hers keep breaking.

That's my own little research trial.

Don't I know it. It seems like half the time I use my iPhone as a coaster, I end up with "water damage." Goddammit Apple.