Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Linedance posted:

badge engineered VW

I don't think you know what that term means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Linedance posted:

People were suggesting that the only reason to buy a Prius over a Civic hybrid is for a conspicuous display of status, and you're saying that buying a badge engineered VW for a lot more money isn't, and I'm the one who's out of touch?

Have.. have you ever shopped for or sat in an Audi? Are you including the entire line? Do you think VW sells comparative products? I don't think VW sells their version of my wife's A7 (Unless there's an uber CC out there with a hatchback and OHGODWHYAMIEVENTRYING). Call EVERY Audi badge engineered if you'd like, but you're wrong. Platform and parts bin sharing don't equate to "Same car, fancier badge, higher price."

You're dumb.

eyebeem fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 19, 2014

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

eyebeem posted:

Have.. have you ever shopped for or sat in an Audi? Are you including the entire line? Do you think VW sells comparative products? I don't think VW sells their version of my wife's A7 (Unless there's an uber CC out there with a hatchback and OHGODWHYAMIEVENTRYING). Call EVERY Audi badge engineered if you'd like, but you're wrong. Platform and parts bin sharing don't equate to "Same car, fancier badge, higher price."

You're dumb.

As someone who likes and builds Audis and Volkswagens..... Linedance is unfortunately correct.

Calm down and post terrible car stuff.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
jesus loving christ will you spergs stop arguing over dumb poo poo and post awful car stuff, not awful poster stuff?

there are at least 4 awful things in this one, see if you can find them.

the welds on his "truck nuts"
his "truck nuts"
putting a D-ring shackle in a trailer hitch ball drawbar is really not that safe
that's a dana 35 in an XJ with oversize mud tires on it. No excuses, an 8.25 swap costs like $150 all in.

kastein fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 19, 2014

SierraEchoBravo
Jun 23, 2010

kastein posted:

jesus loving christ will you spergs stop arguing over dumb poo poo and post awful car stuff, not awful poster stuff?

there are at least 4 awful things in this one, see if you can find them.

the welds on his "truck nuts"
his "truck nuts"
putting a D-ring shackle in a trailer hitch ball drawbar is really not that safe
that's a dana 35 in an XJ with oversize mud tires on it. No excuses, an 8.25 swap costs like $150 all in.

Not something I'd ever build/own but I can't hate on it more than the shitpile with "truck nuts." When tuner kids discover offroading, you get jeeps with ground effects.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You may have missed the idiotic halo headlights and the angry eyes.

SierraEchoBravo
Jun 23, 2010

kastein posted:

You may have missed the idiotic halo headlights and the angry eyes.

I did, in fact. Posting from my phone. At least it's not slammed, but that's not saying much.

What I'm saying is, what are these? Pictures for ants?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Please, do!

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

alex314 posted:

I saw some weird small sticker on this car's window, when the traffic slowed down I've found out it's this:

Sure.. :jerkbag:

A couple pages back but:

It was a thing to see that on convoy and patrol vehicles in Iraq during the war. It was basically a "Don't mob/tailgate this convoy/patrol, otherwise we'll assume you are a suicide vehicle/ambush, and treat you as such."

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Honestly if rednecks have to have "truck nuts" I'd prefer they do this.

I find some random large metal hardware strung onto a length of chain infinitely less offensive than an anatomically correct flesh-colored scrotum hanging off the hitch receiver.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Geoj posted:

I find some random large metal hardware strung onto a length of chain infinitely less offensive than an anatomically correct flesh-colored scrotum hanging off the hitch receiver.

They're also nuts.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Geoj posted:

The only thing I see truck nuts on anymore are last gen Prius poo poo mobiles.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

veedubfreak posted:

Is there anywhere outside of CA that even has hydrogen filling stations?

There was one in Rochester, NY. Had an explosion a few years back while a tanker was refilling the station. Driver got 3rd degree burns, only other injury was the drive through attendant at the burger king across the street, who got some ear pain. The station resumed function in a few days if I remember right.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Geoj posted:

...until their lovely git'er dun method of hanging those giant pieces of metal off the back of their lifted heap comes loose on the expressway at 80mph right in front of you. I'll take the tacky harmless rubber scrotum instead. :v:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Geoj posted:

Until it falls off at 75mph on the freeway
E:f,b

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

Until it falls off at 75mph on the freeway
E:f,b

At which point we can move it to the horrible mechanical failures thread.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hopefully the dashcam thread too, featuring a dumfounded bro chilling out in the back of a police cruiser.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Dannywilson posted:

A couple pages back but:

It was a thing to see that on convoy and patrol vehicles in Iraq during the war. It was basically a "Don't mob/tailgate this convoy/patrol, otherwise we'll assume you are a suicide vehicle/ambush, and treat you as such."

I know, I've posted that because it's completely out of place in Poland on a regular car. The only stickers you see on cars is those stupid "Watch your mirrors, motorcycles are everywhere".

Content:

It's well made, look like a factory option. The driver was an attractive blonde woman. She obeyed road laws, etc. My only gripe is that it reflected sunlight as you imagine. It wasn't even particularily sunny that day.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Spotted at the airport in Houston

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

MetaJew posted:

Spotted at the airport in Houston

Is that black line above the taillight somehow reflecting something dark that the rest of that bodyline isn't or did they just run out of material to cover that part?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
They're probably required to have some sort of non-reflective area on there.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

alex314 posted:

I know, I've posted that because it's completely out of place in Poland on a regular car. The only stickers you see on cars is those stupid "Watch your mirrors, motorcycles are everywhere".

...stupid? The fact that it reminds people that motorcycles exist is a good thing considering how often we get a SORRY, I DIDN'T SEE YOU. Hint: That poo poo happens almost every commuting day.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

BlackMK4 posted:

...stupid? The fact that it reminds people that motorcycles exist is a good thing considering how often we get a SORRY, I DIDN'T SEE YOU. Hint: That poo poo happens almost every commuting day.

"Oh sorry I wasn't paying attention, haha!"

...I want these people to 'not pay attention' on a corner with a cliff drop and drive off it.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I saw an amazingly lovely bro truck last night. Unfortunately it was to my left so my dashcam didn't get it. It had at least a 2 foot body lift with what I'm guessing were 22" wheels and around a 45 series tire at best. They were also roughly 10" wide wheels. Mall crawler indeed.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Every tenth car in my area has one of those stickers, it doesn't stop some cyclists from installing fartcannons on pretense of safety.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

alex314 posted:

Every tenth car in my area has one of those stickers, it doesn't stop some cyclists from installing fartcannons on pretense of safety.

Like the idiot in the sound dampening escalade who's blasting music and barely paying attention to road is going to hear it, or even be able to tell where the noise is coming from. Maybe in the 90's that was valid
Bikers just like the loud pipes. There's no shame in admitting that you like engine noise, just don't pretend that you're doing it for safety

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

88h88 posted:

"Oh sorry I wasn't paying attention, haha!"

This is what they say when they don't hit you. When they do it's "He came out of nowhere!"

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Heh. When your face is buried in your smartphone, EVERYTHING comes out of nowhere.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

revmoo posted:

Heh. When your face is buried in your smartphone, EVERYTHING comes out of nowhere.

I was behind some loving retard last night that kept weaving into the lane next to him. Flashed my lights at him a couple times then stood on the throttle to pass him so when he inevitably hits something I wasn't in the path of destruction. Should have cart blanche to put a 45 through their engine block if you catch someone texting.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

xzzy posted:

Hopefully the dashcam thread too, featuring a dumfounded bro chilling out in the back of a police cruiser.

What do you need to arrest someone for to exchange insurance information to cover any damages?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

PCOS Bill posted:

What do you need to arrest someone for to exchange insurance information to cover any damages?

Proof.. everyone is liable for poo poo falling off their car and causing damage but you need to be able to prove it was them that did it.

So basically, a dashcam.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

veedubfreak posted:

I was behind some loving retard last night that kept weaving into the lane next to him. Flashed my lights at him a couple times then stood on the throttle to pass him so when he inevitably hits something I wasn't in the path of destruction. Should have cart blanche to put a 45 through their engine block if you catch someone texting.

I've always wanted a centralized portable EMP for jerks like this.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

veedubfreak posted:

Should have cart blanche to put a 45 through their engine block if you catch someone texting.

.45 ACP is actually a relatively slow-moving round, and would probably just splash off of all but the least sturdy of engine blocks. A round with greater energy, such as .338 LM, would be better suited to disabling a motor vehicle.

:goonsay: :spergin: :goonsay: :spergin: :goonsay: :spergin: :goonsay:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Safety Dance posted:

.45 ACP is actually a relatively slow-moving round, and would probably just splash off of all but the least sturdy of engine blocks. A round with greater energy, such as .338 LM, would be better suited to disabling a motor vehicle.

:goonsay: :spergin: :goonsay: :spergin: :goonsay: :spergin: :goonsay:

10mm.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Depleted uranium imo.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

gently caress all that noise, 0.950 JDJ on a roof mounted gun ring.

The offroad heehaw banjofab mud truck version of "it's always a Fiero" is "it's always a Blazer frame."

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

kastein posted:

Why not just crash into them? You're talking about a similar amount of impact force.

Wikipedia posted:

The muzzle energy of the .950 JDJ is comparable to the kinetic energy of a 2,800 lb (1,300 kg) automobile traveling at 20 mph (32 km/h).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.950_JDJ

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

kastein posted:

The offroad heehaw banjofab mud truck version of "it's always a Fiero" is "it's always a Blazer frame."

I'm not really a vehicular lift physics scholar, but that thing looks like it'd tip over if you let one of the doors open all the way.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Why not just crash into them? You're talking about a similar amount of impact force.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.950_JDJ

"As of 2013, only three rounds of the cartridge have been made."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

The Door Frame posted:

Like the idiot in the sound dampening escalade who's blasting music and barely paying attention to road is going to hear it, or even be able to tell where the noise is coming from. Maybe in the 90's that was valid
Bikers just like the loud pipes. There's no shame in admitting that you like engine noise, just don't pretend that you're doing it for safety

I also would add that the biker with loud pipes and can't hear poo poo is potentially just as much a danger if he can't hear traffic around him.