Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009
Pretty sure I'm about 15 years too old to enjoy Attila as much as I do, but gently caress if they aren't the funnest drat band. My play count on About That Life is mildly embarrassing, and Guilty Pleasure will probably match it. The title track might be the catchiest song I've heard all year. It's not on YouTube yet, but the singles they've released are pretty fun too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xCT2_UNIKE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
The Full of Hell - Merzbow collab is out, it's so crushingly heavy god drat

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

SchwarzeKrieg posted:

Pretty sure I'm about 15 years too old to enjoy Attila as much as I do, but gently caress if they aren't the funnest drat band. My play count on About That Life is mildly embarrassing, and Guilty Pleasure will probably match it. The title track might be the catchiest song I've heard all year. It's not on YouTube yet, but the singles they've released are pretty fun too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xCT2_UNIKE

Thanks for this, never heard of them but I'm enjoying About That Life. They kind of remind me of THE HELL and I've been looking for more bands like that.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006
New Northlane:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ5NI35Bg-I

This isn't nearly as bad as I had imagined, still miss Adrian though :(

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

crondaily posted:

New Northlane:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ5NI35Bg-I

This isn't nearly as bad as I had imagined, still miss Adrian though :(

It isn't bad and it is definitely Northlane but does anyone else think the music is too staggered and doesn't really flow together? I'm no music expert and I know that is kind of Northlanes thing, but it seems to me like someone is playing with the volume changer and turning the music up and down and the music comes in waves. That could also only be the music video version too, with the actual pauses in music.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Cloud the Cat posted:

It isn't bad and it is definitely Northlane but does anyone else think the music is too staggered and doesn't really flow together? I'm no music expert and I know that is kind of Northlanes thing, but it seems to me like someone is playing with the volume changer and turning the music up and down and the music comes in waves. That could also only be the music video version too, with the actual pauses in music.

Let's hope for the latter, as much as I liked the song, it felt incomplete.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Attila loving sucks, you guys

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

ShoogaSlim posted:

Their lead singer may be the worst human being on the planet.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

crondaily posted:

Their lead singer may be the worst human being on the planet.

I am friends with his cousin and she won't disagree.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Any kid acting that hard who is that skinny and would definitely get beat up by the weakest member of Joyce Manor is a loving herb.

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009

ShoogaSlim posted:

Counterpoint,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKIYHE4Ei4k

Crushing, groovy southern riffs, vocals that are all over the place stylistically and rhythmically, stupidly over-the-top breakdowns, and even a pretty solid solo.

ShoogaSlim posted:

Any kid acting that hard who is that skinny and would definitely get beat up by the weakest member of Joyce Manor is a loving herb.

That's kind of the point though? They're basically a deathcore Steel Panther.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

SchwarzeKrieg posted:

Counterpoint,

Crushing, groovy southern riffs, vocals that are all over the place stylistically and rhythmically, stupidly over-the-top breakdowns, and even a pretty solid solo.

I like Atilla like I enjoy 3oh3. I know it is totally loving stupid, and I know I'm not going to be playing it around a bunch of other people and bragging about it. I'm not going to the show or getting the t-shirt. But when. Nobody else is around, it can be a satisfying

SchwarzeKrieg posted:

Counterpoint,

My favorite Attila fact is that the lead singer did an episode of "made" on MTv

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

ShoogaSlim posted:

Award winning opinions as always from ya boy right here,

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Alright check it out, I scoped some Atilla tapes for the first time because of this thread and, well, lmao. That poo poo is loving awful. Emmure is entirely unironically a better band. And Emmure is my guiltiest of pleasures.

I'll take Obey the Brave for my thugged out white guy hardcore needs.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
I like Attila guiltily, but this tape is the most illegal of my juicy naked man guilty pleasures:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnsfifXJNlw

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Good lord dude.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Take out all of the stupid loving autotuned bullshit parts and that's actually a cool song. Atilla is just god awful crap the entire way through every single thing they slap together.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

The auto-tune bullshit parts are what make it a guilty pleasure, though. And that dance party beat....

Only registered members can see post attachments!

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

krustster posted:

The auto-tune bullshit parts are what make it a guilty pleasure, though. And that dance party beat....

It's like Asking Alexandria and Attack Attack! had the ultimate AA baby, yikes!

Then again, I dig the gently caress out of Enter Shikari and the Emmure Goodbye to Gallows cd. Sometimes I hate myself.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

crondaily posted:

It's like Asking Alexandria and Attack Attack! had the ultimate AA baby, yikes!

Then again, I dig the gently caress out of Enter Shikari and the Emmure Goodbye to Gallows cd. Sometimes I hate myself.

Whoa whoa whoa, Enter Shikari loving owns.

Also, the first Asking Alexandria is pretty solid and I still sneak a listen every know and then. Hell, one song is about Mr. Brooks.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

XIII posted:

Whoa whoa whoa, Enter Shikari loving owns.

Also, the first Asking Alexandria is pretty solid and I still sneak a listen every know and then. Hell, one song is about Mr. Brooks.

I have some friends who look down on me for Enter Shikari and they love most of the other bands I'm big into, wasn't sure the consensus on here. I like the first AA cd too, that dude's voice is hosed now though.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

crondaily posted:

I have some friends who look down on me for Enter Shikari and they love most of the other bands I'm big into, wasn't sure the consensus on here. I like the first AA cd too, that dude's voice is hosed now though.

Don't worry, you weren't wrong. I've mentioned Shikari in here before and was told I was wrong for liking them. gently caress the haters. Shikari are, in total seriousness, in my top five bands and I'm excited (and scared) about their upcoming album.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

XIII posted:

Don't worry, you weren't wrong. I've mentioned Shikari in here before and was told I was wrong for liking them. gently caress the haters. Shikari are, in total seriousness, in my top five bands and I'm excited (and scared) about their upcoming album.

Regulars in this thread unironically enjoy Emmure and Waking the Cadaver. It has to be the least elitist thread on NMD, or at least it should be.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Emmure are so bad they're good. They helped popularize nü-metal-core and have pumped out almost an album a year for the past 7 years and are still headlining tours and selling lots of albums and haven't really distracted from their sound much at all. That's staying power which I respect even if their music and persona are questionable in nature. I'm going to have fun seeing them play with TAS next month.

Waking the Cadaver are another bad/good band. The whole "wigger slam" genre is kind of an awesome parody of itself I feel. It serves a purpose and delivers on it.

Enter Shikari and all of this dubstep-core poo poo is marketed towards women and skinnybois. My favorite reference point is the Abandon All Ships video where they're walking around all hard but they're wearing XS leather jackets with the hood stitched in. Nobody believes you're tough, you guys.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Henchman of Santa posted:

Regulars in this thread unironically enjoy Emmure and Waking the Cadaver. It has to be the least elitist thread on NMD, or at least it should be.

It's like the polar opposite of the metal threads, frankly.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

ShoogaSlim posted:

Enter Shikari and all of this dubstep-core poo poo is marketed towards women and skinnybois. My favorite reference point is the Abandon All Ships video where they're walking around all hard but they're wearing XS leather jackets with the hood stitched in. Nobody believes you're tough, you guys.

I will defend Enter Shikari to the death. The fact that they don't claim to be "hard" or "brutal" or whatever helps a lot. I'd rather listen to them talk about global warming and how hosed the world's economy is than hear yet another band's auto-tuned "clean" vocalist, with his hair dyed black (to match all of his t-shirts), sing about how he'll gently caress you up over an out-of-nowhere synth solo.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

XIII posted:

I will defend Enter Shikari to the death. The fact that they don't claim to be "hard" or "brutal" or whatever helps a lot. I'd rather listen to them talk about global warming and how hosed the world's economy is than hear yet another band's auto-tuned "clean" vocalist, with his hair dyed black (to match all of his t-shirts), sing about how he'll gently caress you up over an out-of-nowhere synth solo.

To be fair, you can make some pretty badass albums that have global warming as a theme. That's like 50% of Gojira albums :v:

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

To be fair, you can make some pretty badass albums that have global warming as a theme. That's like 50% of Gojira albums :v:

Dark Days, by Parkway Drive, is a great example of a song about global warming.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Speaking of Parkway...give us a new album fuckwads :argh: the steps they took with Deep Blue and Atlas were loving amazing.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Speaking of Parkway...give us a new album fuckwads :argh: the steps they took with Deep Blue and Atlas were loving amazing.

Just checked Wikipedia and it looks like they're planning to release their next one in "March/April 2015", which works for me. Also, I'm now listening to Parkway Drive. So good.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
gently caress yeah Parkway Drive. This is now temporarily the PYF Parkway Drive thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aekRgV9PFv0

:rock: :rock:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

ShoogaSlim posted:

Emmure are so bad they're good. They helped popularize nü-metal-core and have pumped out almost an album a year for the past 7 years and are still headlining tours and selling lots of albums and haven't really distracted from their sound much at all. That's staying power which I respect even if their music and persona are questionable in nature. I'm going to have fun seeing them play with TAS next month.

Waking the Cadaver are another bad/good band. The whole "wigger slam" genre is kind of an awesome parody of itself I feel. It serves a purpose and delivers on it.

lmao

brb gotta hit the weight room so I can put maximum force to my spinkicks during Soundwave Superior. Get the gently caress out of my way Enter Shikari queermos!

Like, you can enjoy a band like Emmure if you want to, but you can't simultaneously justify your taste by proclaiming them "so bad it's good" and pretending they're intentionally self-parodying (which they aren't) while slamming others for their taste. Appealing to manchildren isn't a step up from appealing to women.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 24, 2014

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

Kumbamontu posted:

gently caress yeah Parkway Drive. This is now temporarily the PYF Parkway Drive thread

:rock: :rock:

Yessss,

I have the biggest mancrush on Winston.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkcabeM6MH8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DScZ42PPIyo

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
It occurred to me this afternoon that I never actually listened to Atlas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46Kv4rBJi68

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i've never listened to shikari but dan from sikth worked in the studio with them so they're cool

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Kumbamontu posted:

It occurred to me this afternoon that I never actually listened to Atlas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46Kv4rBJi68

The first time I saw them live was the Atlas tour, 90 minutes of brutality, never felt a room worked so well in my life.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Parkway Drive is a road that leads straight to boredommmmm

lmao

brb gotta hit the weight room so I can put maximum force to my spinkicks during Soundwave Superior. Get the gently caress out of my way Enter Shikari queermos!

Like, you can enjoy a band like Emmure if you want to, but you can't simultaneously justify your taste by proclaiming them "so bad it's good" and pretending they're intentionally self-parodying (which they aren't) while slamming others for their taste. Appealing to manchildren isn't a step up from appealing to women.

If it even makes a difference for me to defend my less-than-perfect taste in breakdown chugga chug music just know that I don't actively jam Emmure on a regular basis. I can get down to it on occasion but I know full well what I'm listening to is lame. Like you can make fun of me for "liking" Emmure and call me lame and I'll be like yeah man I know. But if I make fun of you for liking Enter Shikari and call you lame you get all butthurt. There's a huge difference.

I didn't say the band was self-parodying either. I said that "wigger slam" is a genre that basically embraces and is self aware of its stereotypes and that makes it fun. Attila is just plain embarrassing for the same reason that the Emmure video of them on a tour bus wearing sunglasses and potleaf patterned bandanas over their faces shooting gun fingers at the camera. It's all extremely lame.

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Nov 25, 2014

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

quote is not edit i am dumb

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

ShoogaSlim posted:

Parkway Drive is a road that leads straight to boredommmmm

If it even makes a difference for me to defend my less-than-perfect taste in breakdown chugga chug music just know that I don't actively jam Emmure on a regular basis. I can get down to it on occasion but I know full well what I'm listening to is lame. Like you can make fun of me for "liking" Emmure and call me lame and I'll be like yeah man I know. But if I make fun of you for liking Enter Shikari and call you lame you get all butthurt. There's a huge difference.lame.
Maybe you're addressing the hypothetical Emmure hater, but I don't like Enter Shikari either (I certainly prefer them to Emmure, but I prefer just about everything to Emmure). I just think it's silly to be like "My music is horrible but I'm self-aware so it's fine but YOU think your music is genuinely good so you have bad taste" or to point out image and marketing as a reason why a band might be bad.

And I really don't see how Attila are somehow more embarrassing than Emmure. They're both trying extremely hard to be edgy and have no actual musical value. One of my best friends (who I should probably throw a bone by posting his band in here) has pretty much your exact taste in -core and uses the same justifications ("Emmure are objectively bad, but I love breakdowns") for it while being occasionally dickish about bands that I feel belong in the same category of poo poo, and I just can't wrap my mind around it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

The real irony is that this thread's sole obnoxious elitist immediately started arguing with you after you posted this.

Also the new Ghost Inside tape is pretty good, I was disappointed that they increased the amount of "slow songs" and regular singing. I don't mind those elements, but they're better in small doses, especially when the tape otherwise features bangers like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvmN7MLkAiQ

FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS,,,, :gonk: