Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Seconding that, especially if you plan on using it that way for a long time. It'll probably work for a couple months, but longer than that and you could be looking at a corrupted game and in the worst case losing your save file.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

US dudes, TRU is doing buy one, get 40% off on all Nintendo games this weekend (Fri/Sat), in-store only:
http://weeklyad.toysrus.com/ToysRUs/ListingDetail/Index/?StoreID=2561407&ListingID=-2036725752&ItemDetailClickSource=grid

I really wonder if they will actually have enough copies of Smash Bros on hand in stores for this....cause that would def make it worth it to cancel the pre-order and the free Ammibo.

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

What do you mean 'no performing monkeys'?
I got a review copy of Paper Monsters Recut, and my video is done: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAbfTD-Q6lw.

tl;dw - I thought it was pretty and whatnot, and I mostly enjoyed it because I really liked playing it fast and loose with the double jumps being so satisfying. If you really enjoy like that really easy Kirby game you might like it, but even then it's just not really got any depth to it and the boss fights and sections where you ride things (mine cart, sled) are just so slow paced and downright boring.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Looks like I'll try TRU tomorrow to see if they have any games I want for the Buy One 40% off thing. I hope they have enough copies in stock, though.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

DoctorWhat posted:

Do NOT download Wii U games to Flash Drives. EVER. The architecture of flash drive memory limits its read/write cycles and can cause serious issues for how the Wii U loads games.

If you have a dedicated external hard-drive, or more robust Solid-State drive, then downloading is Fine and Good. Occasional improvements in loading-time, the disc-read motor doesn't spin up (though the hard-drive motor isn't necessarily going to be quieter), and you don't have to worry about a disc.

I've been using the same flash drive for 3 years for my 360 and then Wii U and I haven't had any issues. Just back up saves once in a while then the worst you'd have to do is redownload games.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Don't forget TRU is also doing a 3 for $30 deal on Amiibos tomorrow assuming they haven't all been pre-ordered.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Charles Martel posted:

I'm sorry the truth bothers you? It's been the status quo around here for a while since it's super cool and edgy to hate things other people like.
You mean the Internet?

Detective No. 27 posted:

PDP's. They felt kinda cheap. A friend of mine bought a couple. We havent used them yet though. I also don't care how the sticks are just Wii U sticks either.

I haven't seen Hori's, but they do make a quality product.
Ah, alright. That's not terribly surprising, since PDP was the same company that made those mediocre GameStop controllers a while ago. I'll be interested to know how Hori's feel.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
Pixel Paint is kind of neat. That is all.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Doesn't ZombiU go on sale for $10 often?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Yeah hold off on ZombiU til it's real cheap again. I love the game but it's definitely polarizing.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

noirstronaut posted:

I've only seen it get that low once. It's worth it at $15.

There is a demo on the eShop if someone's unsure if they'll like it or not.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

noirstronaut posted:

I've seen Best Buy sell it for $10 but I think it was during Black Friday last year. Either way, it's only an extra $5, it's worth it at that price.

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

What do you mean 'no performing monkeys'?
I think if you like the look of ZombiU maybe check out a video or the demo you'll know if you want it. If you want it $15, even like 20-25 would be worth it I reckon. It's really quite fantastic, but yeh, polarizing.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

DoctorWhat posted:

Do NOT download Wii U games to Flash Drives. EVER. The architecture of flash drive memory limits its read/write cycles and can cause serious issues for how the Wii U loads games.

If you have a dedicated external hard-drive, or more robust Solid-State drive, then downloading is Fine and Good. Occasional improvements in loading-time, the disc-read motor doesn't spin up (though the hard-drive motor isn't necessarily going to be quieter), and you don't have to worry about a disc.

Don't SSDs use the same hardware to store data (NAND) as flash drives? And the internal WiiU storage too, for that matter.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Don't SSDs use the same hardware to store data (NAND) as flash drives? And the internal WiiU storage too, for that matter.

SSDs usually have internal programming that distributes rewrites across all of the memory rather the one part that the data was saved in. Improves the longevity by quite a lot.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
Zombi U is worth 50 dollars

edit: 100 dollars

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The only good zombie game in ten years, really.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Left 4 Dead was a good game that had zombies in it.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I just deleted DK from my wiiu to make space for smash 4 but somehow I only have 12 GB available. Does anybody know what's up with that?
There's no way that all the remaining apps take more than a couple gigs.

Edit:

Oh... the reason I had no space is because it started downloading automatically once I deleted DK :downs:

Chernabog fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 20, 2014

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Louisgod posted:

I've seen Best Buy sell it for $10 but I think it was during Black Friday last year. Either way, it's only an extra $5, it's worth it at that price.

It was on sale for $10 at best buy a couple months back. I bought my Wii U at the end of June, and thought about buying it for $10 since then during one of the sales. Ironically I ended up not buying it because best buy didn't do free shipping, so it made it only like $2 cheaper than buying it from Amazon, where it's been $15 for a while.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

DoctorWhat posted:

Well I'd say that clinches it. I have an external but I'm not using it for Wii U these days.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
With all the Smash excitement and Black Friday deals coming don't forget in a few weeks Game Of The Year, Captain Toad will be released so get hype :dance:

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

mabels big day posted:

I ended up preordering this bad boy:

I don't like how the shoulder buttons look, but otherwise it looks perfect.

Whoah whoah whoah there, are the shoulder buttons not analog? Sure as hell looks like it... I'm spooked.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
It's a pro controller shaped like a GC controller. Provided you're not purposely being a goof.

Macaluso posted:

With all the Smash excitement and Black Friday deals coming don't forget in a few weeks Game Of The Year, Captain Toad will be released so get hype :dance:
I have been hyped. I played all the Captain Toad levels in 3D World a few days ago because I was so excited.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Ivy posted:

Whoah whoah whoah there, are the shoulder buttons not analog? Sure as hell looks like it... I'm spooked.

That's because it's a Classic Controller Pro with different plastic and rubber bits. The CC Pro didn't have analogue triggers (though interestingly, the original, non-Pro Classic Controller DID, though they were never used for anything.)

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Ultigonio posted:

It's a pro controller shaped like a GC controller. Provided you're not purposely being a goof.

A Wii Classic, actually. It plugs into a Wii remote.

The original Classic models had analog shoulder buttons, but the subsequent Classic Pro didn't. It doesn't really matter since SSB doesn't have analog shielding at all anymore and nothing else uses analog triggers either.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Supercar Gautier posted:

A Wii Classic, actually. It plugs into a Wii remote.

The original Classic models had analog shoulder buttons, but the subsequent Classic Pro didn't. It doesn't really matter since SSB doesn't have analog shielding at all anymore and nothing else uses analog triggers either.

Analog triggers feel good though.

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

Ultigonio posted:

How did I not know this? Super disappointed now.

DoctorWhat posted:

That's because it's a Classic Controller Pro with different plastic and rubber bits. The CC Pro didn't have analogue triggers (though interestingly, the original, non-Pro Classic Controller DID, though they were never used for anything.)

Yeah I've got both iterations of the Wii's classic controller; the buttons on the first were nice and comfy.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

If you look at those Hori controllers on Amazon, the "frequently bought together" shows that people are buying them alongside Gamecube adapters, and that's funnysad, to me. Hori makes grandmas of us all.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Kewpuh posted:

Zombi U is worth 50 dollars

edit: 100 dollars

Zombiu is worth 300 dollars. Source: I bought the Zombiu bundle on sale a little under a year after launch.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Hey so that Target Buy 2 Get 1 deal that's over now, how hard would it have been to buy 2, get the 1, then go straight to the returns desk and say "It turns out I don't have this system/They were a gift/My son died before he could play them" and just return the buy 2 and keep the get 1

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
The advantage of the Hori controllers is that you'll be able to use them to play VC games in Wii Mode. They're not a bad option if you needed a controller for that.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

oddium posted:

Hey so that Target Buy 2 Get 1 deal that's over now, how hard would it have been to buy 2, get the 1, then go straight to the returns desk and say "It turns out I don't have this system/They were a gift/My son died before he could play them" and just return the buy 2 and keep the get 1

Any deal like that the items are basically rung up as a bundle and you can only return them if you bring back everything.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

oddium posted:

The receipt just distributes the discount among all three games. So you can't take advantage that way.
And if you do it without the receipt you might get full credit in store credit if they're willing, but that's sort of fraud and there's more legitimate ways to get more out than what you put in if you desperately want to.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

What if I really play up the dead son

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Casnorf posted:

The receipt just distributes the discount among all three games. So you can't take advantage that way.
And if you do it without the receipt you might get full credit in store credit if they're willing, but that's sort of fraud and there's more legitimate ways to get more out than what you put in if you desperately want to.

Yeah, this. When I did it over the summer, I got MK8 ($60), SM3DW ($60) and DKC:TF ($50). The receipt said "Return Value:" and then the first two were $42.35 and DKC:TF was $35.29.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

oddium posted:

Just shoplift if you're that bothered

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###

oddium posted:

I'd refer to him as your dead gay son, and play up that you found him with a photo of Joan Crawford and some mineral water.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Shelf Adventure posted:

Just shoplift if you're that bothered

That's illegal. Don't suggest I do illegal things, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

So smash bros unlock at midnight tonigt or what?

• Locked thread