Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Dkennedys8 posted:

Is the 12-40mm worth the pennies? I just sold off my 50-200SWD and E-30. Looking to get either the 12-40 or a few primes; Panny 25mm and maybe the 17mm. Probably will go 12-40 route but just on the fence because its 2.8 and not 2.

Well there's no faster zoom unless you get the 4/3 one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I couldn't take it anymore and dropped the cash on a 17mm f1.8 from the oly refurb store, the 5% code for responding to a survey pushed me over the edge. I suppose my next lens will be a 12mm or 60mm macro..

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dkennedys8 posted:

Is the 12-40mm worth the pennies? I just sold off my 50-200SWD and E-30. Looking to get either the 12-40 or a few primes; Panny 25mm and maybe the 17mm. Probably will go 12-40 route but just on the fence because its 2.8 and not 2.

Yes. Great focus and just as weather/dust sealed as the EM5 and EM1.

Ropes4u posted:

I couldn't take it anymore and dropped the cash on a 17mm f1.8 from the oly refurb store, the 5% code for responding to a survey pushed me over the edge. I suppose my next lens will be a 12mm or 60mm macro..

I've really loved the 60mm macro.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Dkennedys8 posted:

Great weather sealing

And plenty sharp to boot

PB190247.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

PB190225.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

I guess if you absolutely need f/1.4 or something the primes can be worth it, but I don't really need insane DoF and the em-5 and up have good enough high iso performance that I don't bother.

P9160083.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

It's even pretty solid at macro, and I love the manual focus lockout for times like that

PA150080.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

It's not the best lens for every situation, but it's really darn good in almost any situation, so it's a great lens if you're like me and tend to just want one lens that stays on the camera all the time no matter where you are. The 12-50 is another worthwhile option. It's not quite as well built, it's slower, but it's even more flexible and still water sealed, so it's an ok option if you want a "go anywhere lens" along with a few specific primes. Changing lenses is too much effort for me half the time though, so I'm down to just the 12-40 and a 180mm lens as my kit that I actually take anywhere.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
New Fuji X-T1 firmware update with a shitton of new features: http://reframe.gizmodo.com/fujfilm-stuffs-the-x-t1-with-a-zillion-new-features-in-1660781104

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

Not enough Fuji love in this thread right now, Fuji announced macro tubes, a tethering kit, and December 18th release for the new X-T1 firmware. The biggest thing for me is direct printing to the Instax printer, right now I try to bring it to events and a phone is just a bit too much to juggle when you're trying to get a print together.

Lightroom 5.7 also has the Classic Chrome camera calibration profile, so you can use it on your current pictures. I feel like it's Fuji Kwanzaa.

e;fb on the firmware

Breadnought fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Nov 20, 2014

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Holy balls, hopefully they can bring most of that to the X100S. Sounds sweet as heck.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

404notfound posted:

Holy balls, hopefully they can bring most of that to the X100S. Sounds sweet as heck.

When the X100S came out they released a huge firmware update for the X100 so I think chances are high :)

Breadnought posted:

Lightroom 5.7 also has the Classic Chrome camera calibration profile, so you can use it on your current pictures. I feel like it's Fuji Kwanzaa.

e;fb on the firmware

I don't see it :(

edit: Not supported for X100S, gently caress!

Cacator fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Nov 20, 2014

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

quote:

Firmware v2.4 (FUJIFILM X-E1) and v3.4 (FUJIFILM X-Pro1) available for download on December 18
The FUJIFILM X-E1 and X-Pro1 will each receive a firmware update that adds:

AF+MF control for all X-mount lenses.

Somebody want to explain this to me?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

7. Video manual shooting – Users will be able to select ISO sensitivity prior to shooting videos, as well as adjusting the aperture and shutter speed during video shooting

:thurman:

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Fart Car '97 posted:

7. Video manual shooting – Users will be able to select ISO sensitivity prior to shooting videos, as well as adjusting the aperture and shutter speed during video shooting

:thurman:

If only they could update the 2.5mm jack to a normal size via firmware

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Hell, that's even more stuff than they announced at Photokina. Very cool

whatever7 posted:

Full time manual focus override. Half-press shutter to focus, use focus ring on lens for manual adjustments.

Update dropped for the X-Pro1, X-E1 and X-E2 as well. Among other things it brings wi-fi remote control to the X-E2

http://www.fujifilm.com/news/n141120_02.html

And Fuji announced two macro extension tubes as well.

grack fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Nov 20, 2014

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Not to be outdone, Sony has announced the A7 II, which is an A7 with 5-axis IBIS.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Is IBIS an Olympus technology, or did they license it from Sony?

An Olympus 4/3rd camera with a slick new Sony sensor might be devastating to the competition.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

No classic chrome for XE1? gently caress you, Fuji.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

bobfather posted:

Is IBIS an Olympus technology, or did they license it from Sony?

An Olympus 4/3rd camera with a slick new Sony sensor might be devastating to the competition.

Pretty sure the deal was Olympus getting Sony sensors in exchange for Sony getting the ibis tech.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Helicity posted:

No classic chrome for XE1? gently caress you, Fuji.

I know. gently caress them side ways!

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite

whatever7 posted:

I know. gently caress them side ways!

That's lovely - could someone work out a way to get it out of the newest LR without having one of the supported models?

edit: VVV for me it's because I love everything Zack Arias has been posting to twitter lately

ChirreD
Feb 21, 2007
Dutch, baby!
Why? A few months ago you didn't even know it even existed.

I'm bummed as well (X-E1 user) but feeling entitled is a bit much.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

whatever7 posted:

I hope this means that while on manual focus you can press the AF button, and then you fine tune with the manual control. I can do this with my 18-55mm OIS but not with my 23mm. It would be a welcome addition.

Animal fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Nov 20, 2014

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Mr. Despair posted:

Pretty sure the deal was Olympus getting Sony sensors in exchange for Sony getting the ibis tech.

Sony's been killing it on the hardware front but it's really irritating that they've replaced their flagship models in 12 months meaning no more serious updates.

I wish there was a Sony/Fuji combo that would have great hw and great software support.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Sony long term support is a contradiction in terms. That new a7-II would have been an instant buy if fuji were making it.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
There really isn't anything I feel needs to be updated on my a7. New features are nice but this camera has worked fine for me out of the box.
When I bought the X-Pro from Fuji, it needed fixing for a variety of issues that really impacted the usability of the camera. I love Fuji's update policy but they really did sell some broken cameras there at the start of their comeback. /heresy

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, my em-5 hasn't had a ton of updates, but I've never found myself really wanting more either. Some people do in fact make cameras that work when they start being sold!

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Who wants to buy my x-t1 because I need that A7II in my life right now. :stare:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

RustedChrome posted:

There really isn't anything I feel needs to be updated on my a7. New features are nice but this camera has worked fine for me out of the box.
When I bought the X-Pro from Fuji, it needed fixing for a variety of issues that really impacted the usability of the camera. I love Fuji's update policy but they really did sell some broken cameras there at the start of their comeback. /heresy

Let's be real the X-Pro and X100 were only good because they were a unique form factor with a good sensor. Everything else about them was pretty much garbage. We're just lucky that the form factor and sensor really were so good that they gave fuji the time they needed to get their poo poo together.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
We need a macro four thirds spec that uses full frame. The best part about m43 is the standard mount. Sony is good at hardware, Fuji is awesome at making nice things people want to use. If only they would all use compatible systems.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

keyframe posted:

Who wants to buy my x-t1 because I need that A7II in my life right now. :stare:

After someone buys my X100s so I can upgrade to an XT-1.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
Speaking of X-100S, is it going to get that "chrome" preset?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Fart Car '97 posted:

Let's be real the X-Pro and X100 were only good because they were a unique form factor with a good sensor. Everything else about them was pretty much garbage. We're just lucky that the form factor and sensor really were so good that they gave fuji the time they needed to get their poo poo together.

X-pro was garbage on release but by 2.00 it became useful. We're on 3.40

Sony would have left it at 1.0, hot garbage and all.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
With Sony you don't buy a body and then stick lenses on it, you just buy a body to fit your lenses to.

I will say that despite them never updating firmware, there aren't many software features from the new cameras that I care about having on my older NEX. They don't do stuff like new processing effects or software tweaks to focus speed like Fuji does.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

Malcolm XML posted:

Sony would have left it at 1.0, hot garbage and all.

Or Sony wouldn't have released a garbage camera?
I liked my X-Pro and never thought it was that horrible despite it's issues. It was pretty frustrating to feel like a beta tester at first, however.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Mr. Despair posted:

Yeah, my em-5 hasn't had a ton of updates, but I've never found myself really wanting more either. Some people do in fact make cameras that work when they start being sold!

All I want for my E-M5 is focus peaking :(

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Cacator posted:

All I want for my E-M5 is a 5-500mm f1 lens that's light weight and cheap

Fixed it :)

Seriously I love the E-M5 and only need the 12 and 60 to be happy.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Animal posted:

I hope this means that while on manual focus you can press the AF button, and then you fine tune with the manual control. I can do this with my 18-55mm OIS but not with my 23mm. It would be a welcome addition.

Doesn't the AF/AE button do it (in MF mode) for any lens? I have no idea is not standard for a X mount lens. Does you 23mm have an AF/MF switch?

Mr. Despair posted:

Well Sony should ask Olympus to make more E lens for them

Fart Car '97 posted:

I notice that too. It's a "thing" in the photography business, that the emotional good well or reputation of a brand among the buyers can carry it for many years.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 20, 2014

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Also it costing thousand of dollars to build a full kit and it being a complete pain in the rear end to switch. Does any professional really believe any one brand is 'better' than the other? Like every single photojournalist I've met uses the brand they do because that's what they started with, or that's what they were given/sponsored. At any given point in time one of the other manufacturers is putting out a better body or lens compared to the others but it's just a constant back and forth. If you stayed one generation behind you could constantly switch brands/lenses at little cost so that you were using the absolute best of the last gen, but it would be a huge hassle.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Cacator posted:

All I want for my E-M5 is focus peaking :(
Seriously. And now that there's news that Olympus has stopped all manufacturing of the E-M5 in preparation for its successor next February, I get the feeling that it's never going to happen. :(

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
The A7II looks like it's thicker than the A7 body. There's a step out below the viewfinder whereas in the A7 series, it's a flat back.

I'm still happy with my A7S. I shoot moving subjects so I'd rather have high ISO performance than stabilization.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
It's probably because of the stabilization. A lot of people assumed the reason they didn't use the Alpha style stabilization in the earlier ones was for space saving reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Fart Car '97 posted:

If you stayed one generation behind you could constantly switch brands/lenses at little cost so that you were using the absolute best of the last gen, but it would be a huge hassle.

This is true for bodies, but lenses aren't something that steadily improve each generation. Good glass is good glass. Companies don't release a new 70-200 2.8 every few years that causes the previous model to significantly drop in price, for instance. Investment in lenses and accessories is what keeps people locked into a given system, not bodies.