Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
Josh Silvestri posted a great article on CFB about judge stories. http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/silvestri-says-judge-tales/ One of the stories he tells seems relavent to the chat from a couple days ago slow rounds.

quote:

Slippery Match Slips

I’m stealing one of my favorite stories from Nick Fang, author and robot overlord of http://www.whysogrumpy.com/ and scorekeeper for most of the Grand Prix events in the U.S.

“It’s two minutes into the round, and a frantic and upset player runs up to the desk. He was already late to start with and trying to rush to his seat, so he’s already under duress. The inevitable and universal first statement comes spilling out.
'I’m not on the pairings.'
Here we go again.
'We have you dropping last round, did you not mean to?'
'No, that got entered wrong.'
And now the usual ritual of finding the table number and pulling out the slip.
'This says you lost and dropped, what happened?'
'Oh.'
Depending on the person, some different variant of mumbling and bumbling around why they might sign something you didn’t verify ensues. Three more minutes pass while we verify what happened with the opponent, and validate that no funny business was afoot.
Problem is, this player wasn’t near the bottom of the standings, they were actually X-1, so they’re in contention. Can’t really just give them a bye, nor can we just match them against one of our lower ranked players because getting the matchups right is actually a tournament integrity issue. So now we have to issue what’s called a cascade, in which we break a series of pairings and mix-and-match them to get valid pairings. This affects four tables this time, and it’s already now seven minutes into the round, and by the time all is said and done, now we’ve got four tables of people who are starting to play a good twelve minutes into the round, with full time extensions (since for most of them, at least, it wasn’t their fault).”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Yawgmoth posted:

This was the source of endless frustration for me because the logic follows, but is incorrect. To this day I don't know why the gently caress basic lands don't just read the way they used to instead of the entirely vague lone mana symbol.

According to Maro it doesn't actually help.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I saw Interstellar yesterday and I couldn't stop giggling every time they showed the black hole, I kept expecting Phyrexians to show up.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

Errant Gin Monks posted:

North south east west? If you aren't north of San antonio come play with us at Dragons Lair.

I was confused when you said "if you aren't north" but then I saw there is another Dragons Lair in Austin. As it turns out the Fredrikson drive store is perfect! We will be staying 40 minutes up the road in Comfort and that is the closest store. So it looks like I'll be heading there!

I see they do not have an events scheduled up for December yet, any idea what will be on? and how many people turn up for FNM? My LGS in HUll(UK) is tiny so anything above 12 is going to feel like a GP.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

En Fuego posted:

re: Stupid poo poo you did as a kid playing MTG

"Destroy target blue permanent." So remove it from the game? Ah, 2nd grade me with my lack of understanding of conjugation.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

suicidesteve posted:

"Destroy target blue permanent." So remove it from the game? Ah, 2nd grade me with my lack of understanding of conjugation.

Twiddle was drat near a one-mana instant speed Vindicate.

Edit: poo poo, was it not Twiddle? I looked at Magiccards.info to look for the old printing and I can't find one that just says "Tap target permanent." Could've SWORN it was 4th ed. Twiddle.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
I knew at least one kid who thought counterspell was basically spelljack. Fortunately, I never played against him.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
When I first started out I thought you could shuffle your library whenever. It's still random so what's the difference, right guys? :downs:

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Uh, this showed up on Facebook today

Probably not real.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Vintage Masters 8-4 is a go!

https://www.twitch.tv/tedsternator

P1p1 Sol Ring into green/white little kid.deck, sounds great!

Picks 2-4 were all Krosan Tuskers.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Cactrot posted:

Probably not real.

As rad as that is it's probably fake, yeah. :sigh:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Cactrot posted:

Probably not real.

Leaving everything else aside, they wouldn't make an ult that requires you to own other mythics. MaRo said something about wanting each player's first mythic to be memorable.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

En Fuego posted:

re: Stupid poo poo you did as a kid playing MTG

Had no concept of deck construction and just played every cool/favorite card (2-300 card, 5 color decks) and because of the inconsistency, drew up to seven every turn and could play any number of lands per turn. Games still lasted hours.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Cactrot posted:

Probably not real.

I hope it's real, it seems more like something that they'd plausibly print than the usual fake spoilers, but that's probably just wishful thinking.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Is that even good? For 9 mana I think I'd want more immediate board impact than a lightning bolt or a slightly-better pongify.

I think M15 Garruk just does most of the same things better and cheaper.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Cactrot posted:

Probably not real.

I'm leaning towards fake, because it should say "Ugin, the Spirit Dragon deals 3 damage to target creature or player." The second ability also doesn't seem like something Wizards would do.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

I hope it's real, it seems more like something that they'd plausibly print than the usual fake spoilers, but that's probably just wishful thinking.

Why? it's completely unplayable in anything that isn't EDH.

shitty poker hand
Jun 13, 2013

Cactrot posted:

Probably not real.

Imagine a new player's reaction to "turn target permanent face-down."

And then what? Can I get it back? Why isn't it destroyed? How do I destroy it? Does it become a morph? Why doesn't it specify?

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
It looks fake to me. Just something about it doesn't ring right. Fully willing to be wrong, of course.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
I sure hope it's fake, since it's absolutely terrible.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

mcmagic posted:

Why? it's completely unplayable in anything that isn't EDH.

They print tons of mythics that are completely unplayable outside of EDH, though?

E: heck, it's not like they're afraid of printing mythics that are unplayable even in EDH.

Starving Autist fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 20, 2014

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Chamale posted:

Leaving everything else aside, they wouldn't make an ult that requires you to own other mythics. MaRo said something about wanting each player's first mythic to be memorable.

While I do think its a bad fake, I could see something like Spawnsire of Ulamog's effect on a walker.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Edit: never mind, misunderstood the minus ability.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

MaRo also said they won't be doing stuff that turns non-morph permanents face down so yeah, that's a fake probably.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Applebees posted:

I'm leaning towards fake, because it should say "Ugin, the Spirit Dragon deals 3 damage to target creature or player." The second ability also doesn't seem like something Wizards would do.

Pretty sure it's fake, but they did the second ability on Ixidron and reprinted it in Commander 2014, this one would need the reminder text though.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
More on point I don't think they'd offer up such easy Land removal.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Cernunnos posted:

More on point I don't think they'd offer up such easy Land removal.

Are you guys missing the fact that it costs NINE MANA?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Applebees posted:

Planeswalkers seem to always refer to themselves by the card's full name.

It's only legendary creatures the whole no title past the first thing.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Planeswalkers seem to always refer to themselves by the card's full name.

It's only legendary creatures the whole no title past the first thing.

This makes sense considering that Planeswalkers have their first name or part of their name as a subtype, whereas Legendary Creatures are just a bear or human soldier, etc.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Cactrot posted:

Pretty sure it's fake, but they did the second ability on Ixidron and reprinted it in Commander 2014, this one would need the reminder text though.

Ixidron only affects creatures. Turning other permanents face down is way stranger.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Chamale posted:

Why not? They made an entire mythic that requires you to own or control other mythics.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Cactrot posted:

Its obviously fake but "turn target permanent face down" is a really cool ability

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

Its obviously fake but "turn target permanent face down" is a really cool ability

I want it to be real so bad. I don't give a crap if it's unplayable in every constructed format, my Timmy side loves this thing.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

DoctorOozy posted:

I was confused when you said "if you aren't north" but then I saw there is another Dragons Lair in Austin. As it turns out the Fredrikson drive store is perfect! We will be staying 40 minutes up the road in Comfort and that is the closest store. So it looks like I'll be heading there!

I see they do not have an events scheduled up for December yet, any idea what will be on? and how many people turn up for FNM? My LGS in HUll(UK) is tiny so anything above 12 is going to feel like a GP.

Hehe, Fredericksburg Dr.

Anyway we have an event tonight I will ask Hannah what the schedule is. She is our LGS game coordinator and resident judge.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Its fake because the card itself is too bad for modern MTG and from a design complexity perspective, its on the level of the Lorwyn planeswalkers. You absolutely could not print "turn target permanent face down" without reminder text, either.

The fact that the card is so convincing looking is what's a little disturbing. Most fakes are super easy to spot, and I really only could tell because Wizards doesn't print things like that. If they had put something more realistic on the card and thrown it out during spoiler season, there would have been some serious confusion.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 20, 2014

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I agree it's a fake because of the unlikely chance that they would print those abilities, but I hope it keeps that art. I'd love to see another high-cost colorless walker like Karn, hopefully one that's playable in tron.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Applebees posted:

Ixidron only affects creatures. Turning other permanents face down is way stranger.

At 9 CMC I would expect its plus ability to be Vindicate.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

At 9 CMC I would expect its plus ability to be Vindicate.

At this point, all we know Ghostfire can do is Burn things, ala the card Ghostfire, and buff things, ala Ghostfire Blade, so that plus ability is pretty close to what I was expecting. However, I really couldn't say anything else, I just hope that we get a 7-8 mana colorless planeswalker that is standard playable. Difficult to do, considering the high mana cost, but thats what I want out of him.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I agree it's a fake because of the unlikely chance that they would print those abilities, but I hope it keeps that art. I'd love to see another high-cost colorless walker like Karn, hopefully one that's playable in tron.

I suspect Ugin will be colorless as that has been his schtick from what we've seen so far (though Ghostflame/Ghostfire? in Future Sight used a red mana symbol despite the card being colorless), and the art there was the leaked one from a few months back, so it's likely that it will be used unless they have an alternate ready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
I thought it was 7-mana at first and I thought "sure it's fake, but I agine gein hating it with a sideboard full of walkers"

Then I saw it was actually 9 mana and it's just a bad fake now.

• Locked thread