Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Rhyno posted:

Go find the videos of Routh working out for Superman Returns. He was loving huge.

I read in an interview once that they were forced to digitally reduce the size of his crotch bulge in the superman costume because it was ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Oracle posted:

I am really getting tired of the 'look, {female character}, {hero} has issues therefore you need to give up your free will or else someone's going to be hurt' schtick the CW is on lately. This episode was some seriously awkward ham-handed 'LOOK AN ANALOGY' bullshit.

Also since when is Felicity a drooling over diamonds and expensive dresses type of girl? I mean she worked for a billionaire once its not like this is her first brush with the megarich. I swear she's said before she'd rather have a server than a necklace or something. Poor characterization there. At least she's got a guy paying her positive attention for a change. And Ray is actually a charming, well-adjusted smart well-meaning guy. Ollie is an ex-murderer and emotionally stunted PTSD sufferer living in his sister's basement and playing dress up to go beat people up at night and constantly demanding her time and attention. How is this even a contest.

They are really going to lengths to paint Oliver as an rear end in every incarnation. I hope there's a point to it.

He has to be raped again and get blamed for it before we get peak Ollie.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Again? I think I know one of the stories you're referring to, it happened twice? Or do you mean it happened in this show already?

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

greatn posted:

Again? I think I know one of the stories you're referring to, it happened twice? Or do you mean it happened in this show already?

I meant once in this show, as opposed to the time it happened in the comics.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

NutritiousSnack posted:

I meant once in this show, as opposed to the time it happened in the comics.

You're gonna have to refresh my memory.

Edit: oh I see. So he didn't have a scarring incident with the maid from episode one then

greatn fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Nov 20, 2014

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

greatn posted:

You're gonna have to refresh my memory.

Blah, I meant that it has to happen once in the show before we get peak "I'm an rear end in a top hat and the writers hate loving me". I meant it as a one off joke not a derail.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Felicity's line to the dress about being friends was an ad-lib.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Spergatory posted:

Goddammit I just want Thea to murder someone. SHOW US THE DARKNESS INSIDE! :black101:

I really hope this is why they're introducing the douche DJ.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Nah, he's gonna dump Thea or something and Malcolm will theatrically murder him as a supervillain's version of protective fathering.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gaz-L posted:

Nah, he's gonna dump Thea or something and Malcolm will theatrically murder him as a supervillain's version of protective fathering.

Last week with him watching Thea and Ollie living together made it seem like this was all part of his plan.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
OK, if DJ Douche Noz L is Malcolm's idea of fixing Thea up, that would actually be hilarious. Barrowman coming to Verdant and dorkily jamming to the beat.

"Sweet bass, huh, honey?"

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

NutritiousSnack posted:

He has to be raped again and get blamed for it before we get peak Ollie.

Don't remind me about this.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Pththya-lyi posted:

The Episode Where Katana Showed Up and Nobody Cared (Except Me)

I cared. Part of me was worried we'd just have Tatsu as a Japanese woman that happened to be married to the guy Oliver is working with and therefore has her life endangered by his existance. It's good that she got at least one scene of...you know, her namesake. Hopefully it'll be more than one.

Also I really hope someone punches that DJ soon. Can be anyone, I won't complain. Overprotective father Malcolm, overprotective brother (who is horrible with relationships) Ollie, overprotective ex Roy, Thea herself...hell, I'll take Diggle even though he has nothing to do with this particular subplot.

About Diggle, was that guilttripping to Felicity really neccesary? It was the worst part of the episode. "STOP TRYING TO GET OVER OLLIE HE'S A PIECE OF poo poo". Jesus gently caress, man, you're better than this.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Rocksicles posted:

When Felicity walked in on the salmon ladder and goes "Oh god, i have a type" i was proper laughing.

Yeah that was great.

Arrow Season 3: Oh god, I have a type (and it's salmon ladders)

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

WarLocke posted:

Yeah that was great.

Arrow Season 3: Oh god, I have a type (and it's salmon ladders)

If only she knew the lightning gave Barry abs.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Oracle posted:

I am really getting tired of the 'look, {female character}, {hero} has issues therefore you need to give up your free will or else someone's going to be hurt' schtick the CW is on lately. This episode was some seriously awkward ham-handed 'LOOK AN ANALOGY' bullshit.

Also since when is Felicity a drooling over diamonds and expensive dresses type of girl? I mean she worked for a billionaire once its not like this is her first brush with the megarich. I swear she's said before she'd rather have a server than a necklace or something. Poor characterization there. At least she's got a guy paying her positive attention for a change. And Ray is actually a charming, well-adjusted smart well-meaning guy. Ollie is an ex-murderer and emotionally stunted PTSD sufferer living in his sister's basement and playing dress up to go beat people up at night and constantly demanding her time and attention. How is this even a contest.

They are really going to lengths to paint Oliver as an rear end in every incarnation. I hope there's a point to it.

According to the Flash episode, Felicity knows about wearing the hell out of a nice dress. And previously all of Ollie's billions were more focused around vigilante poo poo not a 10 mil diamond necklace. Just because Felicity is a spastic nerd who normally doesn't give a poo poo about that stuff doesn't mean she can't be bowled over by it on occasion.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
It was a bit weird to see Ashur just a week after he appeared on Person of Interest, i had kinda hoped he would have a recurring role on there, but he does make a better villain than hero. I am pretty sick of the whole Oliver/Felicity thing, either have them be together or drop the whole storyline, they are doing the same thing with them over and over again.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I never realized until just now how much I need to see Brandon Routh in a suit of not-Iron Man armor.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

VDay posted:

The DJ might be the most realistic character on the entire show. They're obviously going to do something with him and *knocks on wood* I kind of doubt it'll be a love triangle. They would've had Roy there at the club being depressed watching Thea flirt with/kiss him from afar if they wanted to do that.

I'm wondering if he's gonna end up being Music Meister or something. Giving Thea a completely normal new love interest just doesn't seem like something this show would do.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

hcreight posted:

I'm wondering if he's gonna end up being Music Meister or something. Giving Thea a completely normal new love interest just doesn't seem like something this show would do.

He's not Neil Patrick Harris, so no.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Wow that episode was the dumbest piece of garbage of this series yet.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
He's also in the wrong City to be The Music Meister. There's no Grant Gustin or Jesse L. Martin!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah the fact they didn't name the DJ makes me think he's somebody.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

With that suit he'll be like a one man army.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I'm sort of bummed that he won't be shrinking though because they want the urban fantasy show with Mirakuru, masked vigilantes and insta-hacking on a tablet to be "realistic". What's even the point of having the Atom with no shrinking? What next Spiderman without web shooting and wall-climbing? Wolverine with no claws? Batman with a green suit? for real

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

With that suit he'll be like a one man army.

We need this but with Palmer's face.

Loser_Rex
Apr 14, 2006

Spidercock? Here?
Didn't Starling shut down its subway system?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Captain Mog posted:

I'm sort of bummed that he won't be shrinking though because they want the urban fantasy show with Mirakuru, masked vigilantes and insta-hacking on a tablet to be "realistic". What's even the point of having the Atom with no shrinking? What next Spiderman without web shooting and wall-climbing? Wolverine with no claws? Batman with a green suit? for real

I seem to recall them explaining the Mirakuru as primarily an excuse to bring on the Flash. Now that his show is established and the Deathstroke storyline is finished, Mirakuru's role is over.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

King of Solomon posted:

I seem to recall them explaining the Mirakuru as primarily an excuse to bring on the Flash. Now that his show is established and the Deathstroke storyline is finished, Mirakuru's role is over.

Yeah and I think that's kinda lame for a superhero show to do. I think it's going to start seeming really forced if they attempt to invent "realistic" explanations for characters who are canonically fantastical in origin- not that I'm one of those comic book purists or something but super powers are always more exciting than no super powers IMHO and they do it really well on the Flash. And plus it shares the same universe as the Flash. It's not like superpowers don't exist there.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Captain Mog posted:

Yeah and I think that's kinda lame for a superhero show to do. I think it's going to start seeming really forced if they attempt to invent "realistic" explanations for characters who are canonically fantastical in origin- not that I'm one of those comic book purists or something but super powers are always more exciting than no super powers IMHO and they do it really well on the Flash. And plus it shares the same universe as the Flash. It's not like superpowers don't exist there.

I think its where the more "realistic" stuff will be on arrow, and the stuff with superpowers will be on Flash. I mean Ollie can not face Girder since he would be destroyed quickly, and Flash could take care of Malcolm in a second.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The fact that the Atom is basically going to be OMAC and not shrink while The Flash is getting Gorilla loving Grodd is more than telling on what a disjointed mess DC is with their properties v

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Captain Mog posted:

Oh, I agree. I'd actually much rather they lean into it, but they want a more grounded show, for better or worse; so, no super powers on Arrow, just insane martial artists and a weirdly high number of archers.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Look you can learn 20th level black belt skills and become a master archer in less than 6 months if you really put your heart into it, ok?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

The fact that the Atom is basically going to be OMAC and not shrink while The Flash is getting Gorilla loving Grodd is more than telling on what a disjointed mess DC is with their properties v

I think that was more they wanted to use Ted Kord, but couldn't so they just changed the name to Palmer.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

bobkatt013 posted:

I think that was more they wanted to use Ted Kord, but couldn't so they just changed the name to Palmer.

If he doesn't shrink, why not just call him captain armor or something instead?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

If he doesn't shrink, why not just call him captain armor or something instead?

Cause using known properties is better than just making it up.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Magneto Rex posted:

Didn't Starling shut down its subway system?

I was thinking the same thing. The fact the subway system was shut down was a plot point in season 1 and I can't imagine they reopened the system after two terrorist attacks, since there's actual stuff in the city that needs to be rebuilt.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

I was thinking the same thing. The fact the subway system was shut down was a plot point in season 1 and I can't imagine they reopened the system after two terrorist attacks, since there's actual stuff in the city that needs to be rebuilt.

I thought it was just part of the subway line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Captain Mog posted:

...super powers are always more exciting than no super powers IMHO and they do it really well on the Flash. And plus it shares the same universe as the Flash. It's not like superpowers don't exist there.

They could 100% put a character with superpowers onto Arrow, it's just that the Atom has a really silly power and it would be really difficult to present in a non-absurd way. Hence why Marvel's Ant-Man is effectively an action-comedy.

The writers wanted Ted Kord. That's all there is to it. I can only assume they had a whole season arc planned out with Kord in mind, before DC shut them down. But they could use Ray Palmer, and adjusted things to fit. He'll probably use "micro-technology" in some capacity to kind of make it sound right...but he's still more Blue Beetle than anything else.

Which is too bad, because I want to see them work with what they want. But it's definitely cool to build up a whole TV ecosystem that totally flies under the radar of the DCCU and MCU. By the end of this season, they'll have not-Batman (Green Arrow), not-Iron Man (Atom), not-Black Widow (Canary), Flash, Firestorm...all they're missing is a cosmic character like Supergirl and they'll have their bases covered.

• Locked thread