Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I kind of like that the X-men aren't in the MCU. I get how there are some characters, like Wolverine, who are very popular, but when I look at what the MCU doesn't have - X-men, F4, Spider-man, Namor, etc - it almost feels like a huge amount of bloat and endless continuity issues - just like comic books. Better to keep the rosters smaller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think there's always room for Spider-Man.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

bobkatt013 posted:

They should have had her dead wrapped in plastic.

I swear that in the scene where he discovers the body and it says 25 years earlier that the first word out of his mouth was "Laura!" I had to rewind to realize that it was just a grunt of effort/disgust and not intelligible.

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

ashpanash posted:

I kind of like that the X-men aren't in the MCU. I get how there are some characters, like Wolverine, who are very popular, but when I look at what the MCU doesn't have - X-men, F4, Spider-man, Namor, etc - it almost feels like a huge amount of bloat and endless continuity issues - just like comic books. Better to keep the rosters smaller.

Yea, don't get me wrong, the little kid/grown nerd would totally love to see a X-Men/Avengers/Spider-Man movie, but realistically they're would be so many issues with that. I mean, between how you divide screen time between that many personalities and how you explain or retcon anything already established (not that comics/comic movies havent' done that; it's just the MCU I'd imagine is kind of set in stone, beyond any minor stuff that I'm sure I can't remember). Then again, I would've sworn just 10 years ago that Avengers would've been next to impossible and here we are with the most successful movie this summer featuring a talking raccoon and a tree.

As for more topical stuff, whooo boy. I kept thinking the confession was just his brother doing it under duress, but that seemed way too honest to be anything but the truth. I guess when you wanna re-up with HYDRA you really gotta show 'em you want it.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
That's the really creepy part of Ward for me. He did all this to Christian to torture the truth out of him, and in the end it actually managed to bring them to some form of reconciliation. Then wham! Turns out it doesn't matter to Ward because his primary goal all along was just to get his brother on tape saying something that Ward could use to pin their parents murder on him.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Slashrat posted:

That's the really creepy part of Ward for me. He did all this to Christian to torture the truth out of him, and in the end it actually managed to bring them to some form of reconciliation. Then wham! Turns out it doesn't matter to Ward because his primary goal all along was just to get his brother on tape saying something that Ward could use to pin their parents murder on him.

Crazy Ward is the best.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

ashpanash posted:

Spider-Man could have easily fit into the MCU since he is pretty much on the level of the current MCU characters. FF would be weird, tonally, for the MCU probably, but other characters of theirs like Silver Surfer and Galactus could have been useful for the space stuff Marvel seems to want to do.

I agree that there is not much room for X-Men in the current MCU though. It's specifically built around their absence.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Quasipox posted:

I mean, between how you divide screen time between that many personalities and how you explain or retcon anything already established (not that comics/comic movies havent' done that; it's just the MCU I'd imagine is kind of set in stone, beyond any minor stuff that I'm sure I can't remember).

Or how you reconcile Beast being "Beloved Scion of Humanity" or "Filthy mutant that must die!" depending on if he's working with the Avengers or the X-men that day.

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

Slashrat posted:

Skye: "But Ward, you killed your parents and your brother and framed him for it! Not to mention the countless SHIELD agents and I'm sure other innocent people you've left in your wake. You're a monster."

Ward: "Yea...but Skye, I never lied to you. :confused:"

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
We never see Ward kill his bro or his parents

We never even see his parents. His parents werent at the house, only Christian was.

I don't believe Ward killed them. I think it's all a fake to get in good graces with Whitehall

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

BlueBayou posted:

We never see Ward kill his bro or his parents

We never even see his parents. His parents werent at the house, only Christian was.

I don't believe Ward killed them. I think it's all a fake to get in good graces with Whitehall

So Ward is able to fake a news report in which they say they found his brother and his parents in a murder suicide? Man he is a great spy.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Hell maybe Senator Ward really did it, maybe Grant broke him that hard.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

So Ward is able to fake a news report in which they say they found his brother and his parents in a murder suicide? Man he is a great spy.

A Senator probably could.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

You don't think a super secret agent is capable of faking people's deaths? Are we seriously going to have this argument now? (I'm not saying it happened one way or the other, I'm saying there is a possibility that it didn't.)

Also, why in the name of anything logical would you jump to the conclusion that he would have to hypothetically fake the news report? The news reporters report what they are told by authorities. If the authorities ID the bodies then that is what the news reports. :psyduck:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

You don't think a super secret agent is capable of faking people's deaths? Are we seriously going to have this argument now? (I'm not saying it happened one way or the other, I'm saying there is a possibility that it didn't.)

Also, why in the name of anything logical would you jump to the conclusion that he would have to hypothetically fake the news report? The news reporters report what they are told by authorities. If the authorities ID the bodies then that is what the news reports. :psyduck:

There is the fact we know Ward is batshit insane and the last thing he says is lets go see mom and dad. I would be shocked if he did not kill them, there was also the fact we saw all the fire stuff in the previous episode.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Why would Ward, known serial killer, fake the murders of the people he wants dead most in the world?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Anyone who thinks those deaths were faked is s god drat idiot. People gave some super blind spot when it comes to Ward. He didn't sleep with May! He didn't shoot that dog! He set Fitzsimmons free! He didn't kill those guards! He didn't kill and frame his brother! They're obviously setting up s redemption arc!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

JT Smiley posted:

Why would Ward, known serial killer, fake the murders of the people he wants dead most in the world?

Because he's loving crazy and Christian admitting it actually clearing the bad blood between them is something I can totally see.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
I can't wait til Ward and SkyeDad are both appealing to her and saying "I love you! I did all this for you!" and she's just like "Nope" to both the crazy motherfuckers.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Vitamin P posted:

I can't wait til Ward and SkyeDad are both appealing to her and saying "I love you! I did all this for you!" and she's just like "Nope" to both the crazy motherfuckers.

As soon as Muad'Dad tells her what Whitewall did to Mama Skye, I think she's going to do whatever he says.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

greatn posted:

Anyone who thinks those deaths were faked is s god drat idiot. People gave some super blind spot when it comes to Ward. He didn't sleep with May! He didn't shoot that dog! He set Fitzsimmons free! He didn't kill those guards! He didn't kill and frame his brother! They're obviously setting up s redemption arc!

Maybe I completely misunderstood that scene but I thought Garrett shot the dog. I'm with you on the other stuff.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I can understand thinking Ward didn't maybe, but why would you think Garret would? The purpose of the exercise was a test of Ward's loyalty and ability to follow orders and overcome his "weakness". Even if Ward failed the test the dog itself was meaningless. Its not like it knew the Busch's beans secret family recipe.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

JT Smiley posted:

Aphrodite posted:

Because he's loving crazy and Christian admitting it actually clearing the bad blood between them is something I can totally see.
Ward has that weird mission-based thinking that gets in the way of normal human reactions. He genuinely didn't seem to understand why Skye hated him after he betrayed the team, because hey that was just the mission. I could easily see the same type of crazy applying here. His personal mission was to get his Brother to admit guilt for what he did. It wouldn't really be out of character for him to just instantly start collaborating with his Brother once that happened, because that's clearly how he expects other people to behave in similar situations.

On the other hand, Ward kills people. A lot. It's his thing, and he's hated his family for a long time, so obviously he would be willing to do it.

Really, the only determining factor here is if his family was more useful to his next mission dead or alive, and that we don't know. The fun thing is that both possibilities would fit Ward just fine. I'm so glad Ward wasn't given a standard lame redemption arc, this is way more interesting.

Personally, I think they're all likely just dead, but the alternative is definitely plausible.

Actually, I do think this is Ward's redemption arc, but only in his own head. Nobody on Team Coulson is dumb enough to ever trust him again, but that may not be something Ward can even comprehend. Ward's sure that results are the only thing that matters. He probably thinks that all he needs to do is score a big enough victory in SHIELD's favor and all will be forgiven, but that he just hasn't found a big enough prize to bring home yet.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 20, 2014

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

So people are arguing that Ward faked his brother/parents' deaths?

Uh...so where are they then? Why would his brother ever agree to not just go public with "I didn't do that I'm actually okay". It doesn't make any goddamn sense to argue that their deaths were faked.

I think the AoS writing team realized how much better their show is with Ward being a really really REALLY rogue agent who's also kinda unstable, versus a misunderstood guy trying to make it right.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

^^ There is also the fact there is nothing that the brother can get out of it. First of all he lost all his power as he is no longer senator, and if he came out and said he faked it with his brother a known Hydra agent he would be even more hosed.

Robot Hobo posted:

Actually, I do think this is Ward's redemption arc, but only in his own head. Nobody on Team Coulson is dumb enough to ever trust him again, but that may not be something Ward can even comprehend. Ward's sure that results are the only thing that matters. He probably thinks that all he needs to do is score a big enough victory in SHIELD's favor and all will be forgiven, but that he just hasn't found a big enough prize to bring home yet.

I loved when Ward said he was part of the team and Coulson gets this incredible look on his face as holy poo poo is this dude crazy.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think Ward still thinks he's a good guy and getting rid of bad people. He told Skye he was going to keep leaving the team presents. Whitehall would be the biggest one.

And he wants to prove he's better than anyone else on Coulson's team. So he might hurt them, but I think he wouldn't do anything to Skye, May, Fitz, Simmons, or Coulson.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

So he might hurt them, but I think he wouldn't do Fitz, Simmons,.

You mean other than that time he tried to kill them.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
I'm not arguing that Christian faked his death. Just that Ward didn't KILL him.

I wouldnt be at all surprised if he DID kill them. But given we didn't actually SEE it happen, I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Codependent Poster posted:

I think Ward still thinks he's a good guy and getting rid of bad people. He told Skye he was going to keep leaving the team presents. Whitehall would be the biggest one.

And he wants to prove he's better than anyone else on Coulson's team. So he might hurt them, but I think he wouldn't do anything to Skye, May, Fitz, Simmons, or Coulson.

Bobbi and Trainspotting are well on his shitlist though I reckon.

Has anyone else noticed that Mack seems to be not quite as with the program as everyone else? I can't tell if it's just him being kind of an everyman pointing out how bizarre things are or something more.

If Fitz jumped ship for whatever reason I could see Mack going with him.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

^^ Its to point out how used to it everyone is. A bit of like how Skye was last season, but not awful.

BlueBayou posted:

I'm not arguing that Christian faked his death. Just that Ward didn't KILL him.

I wouldnt be at all surprised if he DID kill them. But given we didn't actually SEE it happen, I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't.

He just set fire to the house were their bodies were found?

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

greatn posted:

I can understand thinking Ward didn't maybe, but why would you think Garret would? The purpose of the exercise was a test of Ward's loyalty and ability to follow orders and overcome his "weakness". Even if Ward failed the test the dog itself was meaningless. Its not like it knew the Busch's beans secret family recipe.

To establish how much a villian Garrett was? Killing the dog for no reason is pretty low. I'll have to watch that scene again tonight; like I said I may have misunderstood it.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

I don't know what he did. I just won't believe he killed them until I see it.

If you don't see it on screen, take it with a grain of salt

BlueBayou fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 20, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

LongDarkNight posted:

To establish how much a villian Garrett was? Killing the dog for no reason is pretty low. I'll have to watch that scene again tonight; like I said I may have misunderstood it.

There was a reason. It was to teach him that he can not make real emotional attachments to things. That he can discard and kill someone after he is done with them.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

^^ Its to point out how used to it everyone is. A bit of like how Skye was last season, but not awful.

Or he broke his brother's mind so much that he convinced him to commit murder suicide? We didn't see poo poo so I really, REALLY don't understand why people in this thread have this complete and utter need to 100% declare what did and didn't happen off screen between episodes. Relax and fricking wait until the season is over before you all start arguing about what did and didn't happen. It's going to be addressed. If he murdered a US Senator its going to be addressed for crying out loud!

But I am sure this thread will do exactly what it did with the May Ward thing and turn it into some huge argument that at this point is now mostly imagined. I would know, considering I was one of the main participants. And I am saying now what I said then. It's going to be addressed in the next few episodes, and it will be a source of drama between Ward and Skye and co., regardless of whether he did it or not. Arguing about something that happened off screen when it will 100% certainly be brought up again and confirmed later is what is actually idiotic.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Ward obviously convinced Christian to throw the dog down the well.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

bobkatt013 posted:

Mom & Dad are totally dead. Christian... probably dead.

This is the Marvel Universe. We have a brainwashed Hydra agent out there with half of May's face still stuck to her, an unknown number of Patton Oswalts in secret bases, and a handful of people who had the tops of their heads unscrewed so that a robot could reprogram their memories after some extraterrestrial stem-cell treatments went wrong. Faking the identity of a corpse (Grant would have no problem obtaining or making a fresh one) in a house fire is pretty simple stuff by comparison.

As for motive for Ward's Brother to go along with the plan? Well, he hated Mom & Dad too. Perhaps killing abusive Mom and Dad was reward enough? I can see Ward talking him into that after breaking his Brother's will at the well, he's very good at that sort of thing, and Christian was not the most stable of guys to begin with. Not sure what Grant he would need his Brother for, but I'm sure the mind of a Senator has some useful stuff in it.

Again, I think all three are most likely just dead in a fire, since we have plenty of complication already. If I do see Christian Ward alive though, I won't be shocked by the revelation.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Nov 20, 2014

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

I was borderline hate watching at this point before the last episode, everything just feels so drat boring and the more they keep trying to make the poo poo ~mysterious~ the more I hate it. I don't care about whatever that object is, I don't care about Skye's alien bullshit, etc.

Then Kyle MacLachlan killed it this episode. I don't know if it's them actually taking the time to set up a story that isn't endless mystery or a case of finally the show gets a good actor but I dig everything about his scenes. Just his scene with Gregg was one of the best the show has ever had, who knew good TV happened when you actually put two good actors in a scene together?!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Robot Hobo posted:

Ward has that weird mission-based thinking that gets in the way of normal human reactions.

This, right here. Ward is out-and-out PTSD-hosed.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

greatn posted:

At the time, it seemed like the "easy" conclusion that Ward and May were gonna have sex, and I was looking to read something else into the moment there. They just went through some real-rear end poo poo bringing up traumatic memories thanks to the berserker staff and nobody else could understand that. So yeah, maybe they just wanted to be in each others' company and drink and maybe talk about poo poo while drunk. But no, they were loving. They'd been loving. OK, I'm fine with being wrong.

They confirmed Ward didn't shoot the dog. What makes this so confusing is the scene where someone (presumably Ward) is watching the dog run away through crosshairs, and it seems like that scene transitions into the scene where Ward dumps Fitzsimmons into the ocean to kill them, so you're thinking "Hey, dog in the crosshairs! He's offing these characters! He killed that dog!" But no, he didn't kill the dog. It's kinda dumb and confusing.

Maybe Ward really DID set Fitzsimmons free. I would have totally been in the "He intended to kill them" group before this season started, but Ward is delusional and just honest enough that when he says he dropped them into the ocean to save their lives, I kind of believe him.

I don't know which guards you're talking about, but yeah, Ward's killed every non-dog he's come across.

I'm pretty sure Christian and the parents are dead. Ward does not have the proper connections to stage a cover-up. Christian might, but for what purpose would he, except if he were forced to by his brother? And if that were the case, what good would it do Ward to keep his brother alive, in hiding or held captive, limiting his freedom to carry out his plans?

Ward is totally getting redeemed. Not in the show, but with me. Ward is my hero now. I love Ward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Jamesman posted:

At the time, it seemed like the "easy" conclusion that Ward and May were gonna have sex, and I was looking to read something else into the moment there. They just went through some real-rear end poo poo bringing up traumatic memories thanks to the berserker staff and nobody else could understand that. So yeah, maybe they just wanted to be in each others' company and drink and maybe talk about poo poo while drunk. But no, they were loving. They'd been loving. OK, I'm fine with being wrong.

They confirmed Ward didn't shoot the dog. What makes this so confusing is the scene where someone (presumably Ward) is watching the dog run away through crosshairs, and it seems like that scene transitions into the scene where Ward dumps Fitzsimmons into the ocean to kill them, so you're thinking "Hey, dog in the crosshairs! He's offing these characters! He killed that dog!" But no, he didn't kill the dog. It's kinda dumb and confusing.

Maybe Ward really DID set Fitzsimmons free. I would have totally been in the "He intended to kill them" group before this season started, but Ward is delusional and just honest enough that when he says he dropped them into the ocean to save their lives, I kind of believe him.

I don't know which guards you're talking about, but yeah, Ward's killed every non-dog he's come across.

I'm pretty sure Christian and the parents are dead. Ward does not have the proper connections to stage a cover-up. Christian might, but for what purpose would he, except if he were forced to by his brother? And if that were the case, what good would it do Ward to keep his brother alive, in hiding or held captive, limiting his freedom to carry out his plans?

Ward is totally getting redeemed. Not in the show, but with me. Ward is my hero now. I love Ward.

Going to get a Ward was right shirt?

• Locked thread