Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
UKMT font of knowledge, does anyone know what the rules are on jury service if you've moved out of the area?

I've just heard from home that I'm expected in Isleworth in January, but I've moved to Brizzle. Do they let you off or at least make you defer, or is it a Bethlehem situation? It honestly didn't occur to me to tell whichever relevant authority it is that I'd moved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Barry Foster posted:

UKMT font of knowledge, does anyone know what the rules are on jury service if you've moved out of the area?

I've just heard from home that I'm expected in Isleworth in January, but I've moved to Brizzle. Do they let you off or at least make you defer, or is it a Bethlehem situation? It honestly didn't occur to me to tell whichever relevant authority it is that I'd moved.

I would get in touch with them ASAP to explain - they're usually fairly understanding in situations like this and will probably let you defer or (more likely) excuse you altogether this time.

The email address is jurysummoning@hmcts.gsi.gov.uk if that helps.

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 20, 2014

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Barry Foster posted:

Does anyone even inform everyone who's supposed to know when they've moved? You're meant to tell the DVLA, update the electoral roll, tell HMRC, tell all your utilities (obviously), tell the student loan company, tell your work, tell the NHS and your dentist, etc.

I've moved 12 times in the past 15 years and that's pretty normal among my friends.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I still havent told the dvla tbf. I keep meaning too but I cant do it online and i cant be arsed to go to the post office to get the form.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I think jury service is pulled from the electoral roll but it's usually not the kind of thing you think about straight away.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Yeah I moved out of my parents' place getting on for ten years ago and most of my "official" post still goes to them because I've not lived at the same address for more than 18 months since. Don't really see that changing any time soon.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

LemonDrizzle posted:

The cap on the ratio is designed to reduce incentives for bankers to take excessive risks but critics say it will push up basic pay and banks' costs.

Because it's simply not possible to pay these fuckers less, somehow.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Dude we can worry about all that other stuff once we sort the immigrants out. And the Muslims. And the scroungers. And all the other people that have whats coming to them. Once we punish all the bad people we'll all be earning the same as the bankers anyway :)

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Do consider updating the electoral roll etc. when you move if you have any intention of obtaining credit - they really don't like you moving about in an undocumented fashion.

Does anyone else have vague chills about this?

quote:

A council has written to all schools in the ward area of one of its councillors warning them he poses a "potential risk".

Cornwall Council chief executive Andrew Kerr said he had asked Alex Folkes to resign from his position as a councillor for Launceston.

In a statement the authority said it had received information "raising serious child protection concerns" relating to Liberal Democrat Mr Folkes.

A spokeswoman for Devon and Cornwall Police said: "This matter is subject to an internal investigation by the council, not police."

The local paper says they've done the same to a local sports club.

quote:

A North Cornwall sports club has been advised not to let former high-ranking Cornwall Councillor Alex Folkes have access to its children and young people.

Mr Doughty wrote in his email to the clubs: “While the Council cannot compel you to take any action in respect of this matter, I write to advise you that, as a result of issues which have come to the Council's attention, I consider it appropriate that you should not allow Councillor Alex Folkes to have any access to children or young persons within your club, whether in his official capacity as a member of CornwalI Council, or otherwise. I regret that I cannot provide you with any further information at this time.”

The response from Mr. Folkes is:

quote:

Councillor Folkes has issued a statement to the media this afternoon.

It reads: "An accusation has been made referring to a police investigation which took place more than eight years ago - before I became a councillor. No charges were ever brought and I am wholly innocent of any wrongdoing.

"I discussed this matter with the council’s chief legal officer when I was first elected. Someone is now seeking to raise the issue once again with anonymous letters to the council, local media and others.

"I will be fighting these false claims as I fought the original. The decision by the council to write to sports clubs is totally wrong and unfounded and, I believe, illegal."

Given that he has never been charged, let alone convicted, isn't this just character assassination by the council? From memory, can't CRB checks pull up (in principle) completely unfounded allegations that the police are still obligated to record? I'm sure I remember people complaining about that at the time - how an unfounded allegation could wreck a teaching career for example.

I watched a news interview about this same issue last night (not sure if it was the exact same case or whether there are two happening simultaneously) and the council was literally arguing "Something must be done. This is something. Therefore we should do it."

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Regarde Aduck posted:

the immigrants. And the Muslims. And the scroungers. And all the other people that have whats coming to them. the bad people

:confused:

Dude, stop repeating yourself

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Prince John posted:

Do consider updating the electoral roll etc. when you move if you have any intention of obtaining credit - they really don't like you moving about in an undocumented fashion.

Given that he has never been charged, let alone convicted, isn't this just character assassination by the council? From memory, can't CRB checks pull up (in principle) completely unfounded allegations that the police are still obligated to record? I'm sure I remember people complaining about that at the time - how an unfounded allegation could wreck a teaching career for example.

I watched a news interview about this same issue last night (not sure if it was the exact same case or whether there are two happening simultaneously) and the council was literally arguing "Something must be done. This is something. Therefore we should do it."

His career is over whatever happens now. Everyone will remember him as the pedo councillor even if he sues someone into oblivion for lies.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

serious gaylord posted:

Very interesting to see London police stopping and warning cyclists about speeding (on the cycle path) in Hyde park today. Speed limits havent applied to bicycles in any of Londons parks since 2010 and don't apply to non motorised vehicles period. Multiple radar guns and up to 20 officers at one point.

Good use of tax payers money that.

Yeah, it actually is. >20 mph is a ridiculous speed to be travelling on a mixed-use path in an area with lots of kids and dogs on a vehicle that don't stop too well. And I really don't know where you get "don't apply to non-motorised vehicles period" from because they absolutely do.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Prince John posted:

I think it's a situation where they are damned if they do or damned if they don't - if anything happened and it turned out the council had reason to believe he was a risk then they would all be raked over the coals.

Zsa Zsa Gabor
Feb 22, 2006

I don't do drugs, if I want a rush I just get out of the chair when I'm not expecting it

Regarde Aduck posted:

Dude we can worry about all that other stuff once we sort the immigrants out. And the Muslims. And the scroungers. And all the other people that have whats coming to them. Once we punish all the bad people we'll all be earning the same as the bankers anyway :)

I know you're joking, but as an immigrant in the UK, I'm starting to worry a bit about my future here. I'm more or less oblivious to British politics, so I may be wrong, but my impression is that for the past year the anti-immigration rethoric has grown noticeably. Guess the probability of packing my stuff and crawl back to the southern european backwater from whence I came is a bit higher nowadays than when I first moved in...

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

goddamnedtwisto posted:

And I really don't know where you get "don't apply to non-motorised vehicles period" from because they absolutely do.

The Met seem to disagree with you.

quote:

So I turned to the Metropolitan police, where spokesman Mark Ottowell confirmed the answer: "The legislation regarding speeding covers motor (or mechanically propelled) vehicles only."

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006

Zsa Zsa Gabor posted:

I know you're joking, but as an immigrant in the UK, I'm starting to worry a bit about my future here. I'm more or less oblivious to British politics, so I may be wrong, but my impression is that for the past year the anti-immigration rethoric has grown noticeably. Guess the probability of packing my stuff and crawl back to the southern european backwater from whence I came is a bit higher nowadays than when I first moved in...

To be quite frank, as Southern European you're probably okay. When you hear anti immigration rhetoric it's usually about specific areas of "bad" immigrants.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah, it actually is. >20 mph is a ridiculous speed to be travelling on a mixed-use path in an area with lots of kids and dogs on a vehicle that don't stop too well. And I really don't know where you get "don't apply to non-motorised vehicles period" from because they absolutely do.

Bicycles stop amazingly well; just grab a fistful of front brake and you'll do a graceful somersault right over whoever you were about to crash into.

Fwiw I do agree with you, though personally I feel it's a bit moot since enough people twitch out around bicycles doing any speed above zero that going more than light running pace is too stressful to bother with.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 20, 2014

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Not entirely

quote:

Cyclists can be fined not merely for transgressing paths or pavements, which is another subject entirely, but for speeding on roads in royal parks where other laws can be applied.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Except...

quote:

Royal park regulations of 1997 separately defines cyclists from vehicles, and even a 2010 amendment defines vehicles as "mechanically propelled vehicle intended or adapted for use on a road". So it seems, penalties seem to be less about speed, more about the issue of dangerous cycling created by high speed.

(We're in full on "How to Cook for Forty Humans" territory here.)

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
That amendment got amended again to revoke that definition and no longer separates cyclists from vehicles.

I mean I know it's silly but that's how cops can fine you for speeding on a bike in Royal Parks if they want.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Does that mean that bicycles count, as they are mechanically propelled? Does that mean that electric vehicles don't?

Party Boat posted:

They may as well have said 'things with non-human engines'. If anyone constructs a means of propulsion powered by an onboard horse or donkey 'gin, then gently caress them, they can be governed as a vehicle too.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Unless electric vehicles move purely by the power of positive thinking, I think they probably count as mechanically propelled too.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
It seems a Guardian columnist has gone down with a severe case of Chicken Little-ism.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/nov/20/tweet-emily-thornberry-labour-rochester-byelection-ukip-tories

quote:

It may be the most devastating message Labour has managed to deliver in the past four years. It’s already being described as the party’s “47%” moment – a reference to the observation that nailed shut the lid on Mitt Romney’s presidential campaign, when he dismissed the 47% of American voters who wouldn’t ever back the Republicans.

This is in reaction to a Labour MP tweeting this:

Are the "Political Correctness gone mad!" brigade really so thin skinned they're trying to get offended by this picture?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Guavanaut posted:

Does that mean that bicycles count, as they are mechanically propelled? Does that mean that electric vehicles don't?

Since that section of the law was Revoked it doesn't matter. It just says "Vehicles" now which a bike is.

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Are the "Political Correctness gone mad!" brigade really so thin skinned they're trying to get offended by this picture?

I don't get it. I mean, what does this picture even mean? Apart from someone is really keen on the English Flag.

Fans fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 20, 2014

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

ReV VAdAUL posted:

It seems a Guardian columnist has gone down with a severe case of Chicken Little-ism.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/nov/20/tweet-emily-thornberry-labour-rochester-byelection-ukip-tories

I saw that article before and I didn't get it. Why did she tweet that picture? Is it having a go at the person living there?

I know it's a bit different but if I went round taking pictures of houses with the Scottish flag draped from the windows I'd never have my camera out of my hand.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Literally no one is going to care in the slightest about this. 12 hours and it's had 267 retweets: it's not a thing.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I saw that article before and I didn't get it. Why did she tweet that picture? Is it having a go at the person living there?

I know it's a bit different but if I went round taking pictures of houses with the Scottish flag draped from the windows I'd never have my camera out of my hand.

She's never seen anything like it! Can you believe it, a house with not one but three British flags draped on it, common and ghastly.*

* She also refers to the cross of St. George as the British flag

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Party Boat posted:

Except...

That amendment also exists in the Road Traffic Act. So it's a slightly fine legal point but while an absolute speed limit does not exist for non-motorised vehicles (including horse-drawn carts) you can still be done for excess speed - the changes to the RTA to add in "pedestrian-controlled vehicles" as a class sort of broke a few other classifications, hence the confusion.

This does not mean cyclists can do any speed they want and any cyclist doing over the speed limit can still be prosecuted simply because of the speed they're doing - it's just that they're not done under the same law as motorised vehicles.

Unsurprisingly Plod are loving terrible at actually knowing about the law. That's why lawyers exist.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

keep punching joe posted:

She's never seen anything like it! Can you believe it, a house with not one but three British flags draped on it, common and ghastly.*

* She also refers to the cross of St. George as the British flag

Aaaah. She's an idiot. Wasn't there a football game the other night? That seems to increase flag flying.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

hookerbot 5000 posted:

Aaaah. She's an idiot. Wasn't there a football game the other night? That seems to increase flag flying.

Yes, Labour should maybe implement a new rule for shadow cabinet ministers using Twitter such as, "Is this tweet going to be construed at a snobbish sideswipe to our working class base? If so, please desist."

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

namesake posted:

Literally no one is going to care in the slightest about this. 12 hours and it's had 267 retweets: it's not a thing.

I think that it's literally a "This is the most Rochester picture you can get" - white van, terraced mock-mansion, and St. Georges Crosses. I'm certain the vast majority of people from Rochester would look at it and chuckle (or wander why it wasn't a Millwall flag), and The Grauniad are desperately projecting.

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Maybe she just hates trannies?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
If IDS laughing about that woman with the panic room designed by the police to protect her and her child against her abusive rapist ex having to pay bedroom tax because as far as they're concerned it's an unused spare room hasn't gone viral then a silly tweet about some flags isn't going viral.

http://labourlist.org/2014/11/pmqs-verdict-the-appalling-laughter-of-iain-duncan-smith/

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Does anyone anywhere honestly believe the 'metropolitan elite' thing? What policies exactly do Labour have that appeal to the metropolitan elite?

Okay, I'll rephrase. What policies do they have that benefit the elite that the Tories aren't already doing harder?

tooterfish posted:

Unless electric vehicles move purely by the power of positive thinking, I think they probably count as mechanically propelled too.
An EV with hub motors has no moving mechanical linkage. A bicycle does. :colbert:

Caedite eos
Jan 1, 2011

Barry Foster posted:

When this happened to me they had me do the service in the new place.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Guavanaut posted:

Does anyone anywhere honestly believe the 'metropolitan elite' thing? What policies exactly do Labour have that appeal to the metropolitan elite?

Okay, I'll rephrase. What policies do they have that benefit the elite that the Tories aren't already doing harder?

The "Metropolitan elitist" label is a dogwhistle against ethnic minorities and integration. It used to be primarily used against Jews and tolerance of them but has been expanded in light of large cities becoming multi-ethnic. It is also useful as an anti-intellectual tool for xenophobes, well reasoned arguments for tolerance can be dismissed as big city types looking down their nose at real British people.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Oh. If they meant 'rootless cosmopolitan' why didn't they just say so? :v:

I can see how 'them city folk' could work in many countries, and how it is used for example in the Southern United States, but in a country where 80% of people are urbanized and the stereotype of a rural person is more fox hunting aristocrat than salt of the earth for many people, I don't see it working so well.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

It's probably because of London being the super disproportionately important city in the UK and everyone hates London because it's full of bankers, politicians and/or immigrants depending on your political perspective.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006

namesake posted:

It's probably because of London being the super disproportionately important city in the UK and everyone hates London because it's full of bankers, politicians and/or immigrants depending on your political perspective.

Eh? It's full of little old grandmothers (just like yours) on a fixed income and multimillion dollar houses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

namesake posted:

Generally around my neck of the woods everyone hates Londoners because they drive house prices up.

• Locked thread