Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
gently caress Ohio State?
Yes
Yeah
Yep
Mmmhm
View Results

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

wheez the roux posted:

didn't jameis shoot guns on campus and get in precisely zero trouble for it

i don't want to defend jameis or the way FSU/Tallahasse goes out of its way to cover for him, but it was a loving bb gun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

MourningView posted:

i don't want to defend jameis or the way FSU/Tallahasse goes out of its way to cover for him, but it was a loving bb gun

Did he put anyone's eye out?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
That happened at Kentucky, I thought? Did it happen at FSU too? (bb gun stuff)

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

vikingstrike posted:

yup, korrandark posted an article about it at the bottom of the last page.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

http://fortressamerica.gawker.com/one-fsu-student-was-saved-from-gunman-when-his-books-st-1661132848/+samer

AHHHHHH

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Is John Wyclif simply Wyclef Jean's pen-name?

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

To paraphrase Steve Spurrier - The tragedy there was the book wasn't colored yet.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

chaoslord posted:

I think you'll be pleased to find out that if the BCS were still around the results would more or less be the same at the top.

http://www.colleyrankings.com/curBcsLike.html

Grass is always greener.

E: BCSKnowHow twitter handle appears to be doing something similar too. They've been posting side by side comparison pictures with the top 16 each week since the CFP committee. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the top has been pretty similar most weeks but I still am. Looks like those computers were on to something.

I suspect the BCS algorithm for rankings is available to the playoff committee. It shouldn't be much of a surprise that they're similar.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

MourningView posted:

ah, the way I'd heard it before it sounded like a. 22, which a lot of (dumb) people consider only slightly more dangerous than a bb but is perfectly capable of killing someone

even a bb gun though, you have to be a dumb motherfucker to bring anything remotely resembling a firearm onto a campus. and jameis has dumb motherfucker bona fides for days

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

jesus loving christ, wheez

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

pillsburysoldier posted:

jesus loving christ, wheez

what? I just said jameis's gun incident was far less egregious than i previously thought. that doesn't make it not stupid

as for this shooting it's obviously hosed up but at least he didn't hurt anyone but himself

E: if you're objecting to me calling a bb gun a firearm, as far as most college campuses are concerned even carrying an airsoft gun onto campus is grounds for severe punishment

wheez the roux fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Nov 20, 2014

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Deteriorata posted:

I suspect the BCS algorithm for rankings is available to the playoff committee. It shouldn't be much of a surprise that they're similar.

Some guy from the committee that Finebaum interviewed said that they don't tend to use computer rankings because the rule is unless a committee member actually understands the math and the calculations involved they can't bring the rankings up as evidence/argument during committee discussions.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Lasagna Pilot posted:

Some guy from the committee that Finebaum interviewed said that they don't tend to use computer rankings because the rule is unless a committee member actually understands the math and the calculations involved they can't bring the rankings up as evidence/argument during committee discussions.
The math used for the rankings, except in the case of the Colley Matrix, is unknown (Sagarin has his Elo rankings, and they're not complicated to understand, but I don't know how useful they actually are in a short college football season). The Colley Matrix isn't super complicated, but you gotta know calculus and linear algebra to understand the method. I highly doubt that anyone on the committee, if they ever knew the math, remembers it now.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 20, 2014

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Ohio State would have basically beaten Michigan State and Wisconsin and nobody else, and they'd have a bad loss but from the second game of the season before their redshirt freshman QB who was thrust into the position had it all figured out.

If Baylor beats KSU then they'd be pretty similar really in terms of having the KSU win and the TCU win. Their loss isn't as bad as a VT loss but is more difficult to hand wave away.

The best way to decide between Baylor and Ohio State in this scenario is to just take two SEC teams along with FSU and Oregon.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Is there a possibility of a four-way tie in the Big 10 West at the end of the season? I'm trying to go over scenarios in my head but it's too confusing.

OneWhoKnows
Dec 6, 2006
I choo choo choooose you!

Fast Luck posted:

Ohio State would have basically beaten Michigan State and Wisconsin and nobody else, and they'd have a bad loss but from the second game of the season before their redshirt freshman QB who was thrust into the position had it all figured out.

If Baylor beats KSU then they'd be pretty similar really in terms of having the KSU win and the TCU win. Their loss isn't as bad as a VT loss but is more difficult to hand wave away.

The best way to decide between Baylor and Ohio State in this scenario is to just take two SEC teams along with FSU and Oregon.

You mean the future B1G champion, the Minnesota Golden Gophers, are going to be snubbed???

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

wa27 posted:

Is there a possibility of a four-way tie in the Big 10 West at the end of the season? I'm trying to go over scenarios in my head but it's too confusing.

I don't think so. Wisconsin would have to lose out, Iowa would have to lose to Nebraska and Nebraska would have to lose to Minnesota, which would make Minnesota the winner with two losses

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

vikingstrike posted:

Our neighbors in college did quite a bit of property damage to our poo poo in college and got in no trouble at all for it. Must have been athletes!!

They weren't.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

wa27 posted:

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/111210/big-ten-west-division-title-scenarios

quote:

Wisconsin: The Badgers (5-1) are in great shape thanks to their blowout win over Nebraska last Saturday. They could clinch a spot in the title game this weekend if they win at Iowa and Minnesota loses at Nebraska. The Huskers could still be West co-champs in that scenario, but Wisconsin would own the head-to-head tiebreaker.

If Wisconsin beats Iowa and Minnesota wins in Lincoln, then the Axe game between the Badgers and Gophers on Nov. 29 would be an Indianapolis play-in game. If Wisconsin loses to Iowa, it would need to beat Minnesota and have the Hawkeyes lose to Nebraska on Nov. 28.

Minnesota: The Gophers (4-2) have a simple formula for capturing the West: win out. If they beat Nebraska and Wisconsin, both on the road, they'll be in Indianapolis and force a likely rematch with Ohio State. A loss in either game eliminates them from the Big Ten championship game.

Iowa: Like Minnesota, the Hawkeyes (4-2) still control their own destiny. Well, almost. If Iowa can beat Wisconsin and Nebraska at Kinnick Stadium and Minnesota loses one if its last two, Kirk Ferentz's team will be going to Indianapolis. A loss in either game would be the end of those hopes.

Nebraska: The Cornhuskers (4-2) need the most help of any remaining West contender, by virtue of their loss to Wisconsin. First, they need to beat Minnesota and Iowa. Then they need Wisconsin to lose to both Iowa and Minnesota. That would leave Nebraska as the only two-loss team in the division. And it's the only way Bo Pelini's team can get to Indy.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
We're now tentatively scheduled to play tomorrow. Go Team.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Detroit_Dogg posted:

We're now tentatively scheduled to play tomorrow. Go Team.

A game at noon on a Friday? Bowl season has arrived.

arkmedes
Jun 24, 2009
Oh hey the season is winding down let's see what sick games the SEC has in store this weekend...

Auburn vs. Samford
Alabama vs. Western Carolina
Georgia vs. Charleston Southern
Florida vs. Eastern Kentucky
South Carolina vs South Alabama

How the gently caress do they get away with this poo poo? Scheduling occasional cupcakes is fine or whatever but to do it at the end of the season is some serious bullshit.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

arkmedes posted:

Oh hey the season is winding down let's see what sick games the SEC has in store this weekend...

Auburn vs. Samford

How the gently caress do they get away with this poo poo? Scheduling occasional cupcakes is fine or whatever but to do it at the end of the season is some serious bullshit.

Those are just Bye Weeks that make money.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

arkmedes posted:

Auburn vs. Samford

Why is doing it late in the season so stupid as opposed to doing it right before conference play? They still play the same amount of cupcakes as everyone else.

every
Apr 24, 2008

arkmedes posted:

Auburn vs. Samford

Yeah, tell that to Florida last year.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

I wish wazzu would schedule cakier cups, portland state is terrible but Rutgers and Nevada (while garbage and bad, respectively) are a significant step up from poo poo like loving Samford

and then after those 3 to start the season it's a 9-game pac-12 gauntlet (everyone but UCLA and colorado). it's the same next year but with wyoming instead of nevada which will be significantly easier, and the two pac-12 teams we won't play are utah and usc. even if we beat portland state, rutgers, colorado, and wyoming, we'll still need to dig out 2 wins from the rest of that to go bowling. our best shots seem to be oregon state and cal, maybe washington. 7-5 is the best case scenario, worst case is 3-9 imo

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Lasagna Pilot posted:

Those are just Bye Weeks that make money.

Is that what Georgia southern was?

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Looks like Bama's Board of Trustees is loving with UAB football again. This time, they're trying to quietly drop UAB football after 2016. They're not scheduling any out of conference games and the coaching staff's contracts expire in 2016, and on top of that even the president of UAB has admitted there is a feasibility study about keeping football going.

Could be the first of a bunch of G5 teams to leave the market, so to speak.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

MourningView posted:

quote:

About five hours before Jameis Winston was involved in a BB gun "battle" that damaged the apartment complex where he lived in 2012, the Florida State quarterback was stopped by campus police at gunpoint and handcuffed for carrying a pellet gun near campus that he said he was using to shoot at squirrels.

Winston and teammate Chris Casher were briefly detained by FSU police on Nov. 25, 2012, after an unidentified person reported two men carrying a "long barreled handgun" on campus, according to a police report obtained by USA TODAY Sports.

Later that week, Winston and Casher were investigated for $4,200 in damage at their apartment complex caused by a BB gun fight just hours after they were stopped on campus

Jesus christ. What a dumb-dumb.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Korranus posted:

Looks like Bama's Board of Trustees is loving with UAB football again. This time, they're trying to quietly drop UAB football after 2016. They're not scheduling any out of conference games and the coaching staff's contracts expire in 2016, and on top of that even the president of UAB has admitted there is a feasibility study about keeping football going.

Could be the first of a bunch of G5 teams to leave the market, so to speak.

It is amazing just how hosed up that entire system is

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

I liked it in 2012 when UGA scheduled Georgia Southern the week before Tech, and StingTalk and The Hive were giddy with how dumb and stupid the Dawgs were for tipping their hand on how they'd defend the triple option. And then Georgia went and beat Tech 42-10, even worse than they beat Southern (45-14).

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
I don't see a problem with it, but is there any justification given for SEC teams playing conference games in early September, thereby saving an OOC team for November? Just curious.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Thoguh posted:

A game at noon on a Friday? Bowl season has arrived.

Noon on a Friday in Buffalo actually does sound like the setting for a bowl game Iowa State would play in.

LSC
Apr 17, 2006

go3 posted:

It is amazing just how hosed up that entire system is

Does anyone have that article about the Greeks at Alabama? They were called "The Machine" or something like that.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

John Rawl Tahd posted:

Does anyone have that article about the Greeks at Alabama? They were called "The Machine" or something like that.

no but there's this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on0mT8MQ-Wg

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

pillsburysoldier posted:

Is that what Georgia southern was?

Judging by the results, Muschamp was probably gameplanning for FSU the week of the Georgia Southern game.

Real Name Grover posted:

I don't see a problem with it, but is there any justification given for SEC teams playing conference games in early September, thereby saving an OOC team for November? Just curious.

Seems like it is a tune-up week before everyone's big rivalry game the following week.

Lasagna Pilot fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 20, 2014

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Why is doing it late in the season so stupid as opposed to doing it right before conference play? They still play the same amount of cupcakes as everyone else.

Except conferences that play 9 conference games

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Henchman of Santa posted:

No, they play one extra cupcake. One extra game to rest your starters and heal up, one less chance to lose. It really is basically one extra bye that they get to count as a win.

Unless you're Florida.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I pulled up random Big 10 team schedule (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/127/michigan-state-spartans) and they only play 8 conference games, 9 if you make the title game. Are there any conferences with title games that play 9 conference games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

vikingstrike posted:

I pulled up random Big 10 team schedule (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/127/michigan-state-spartans) and they only play 8 conference games, 9 if you make the title game. Are there any conferences with title games that play 9 conference games?

pac 12

• Locked thread