Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I just lost a no hit run in the caves to Dingle's loving three way shot. Not even mad, just embarrassed. I even had Polyphemus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I beat Mom's Heart for the first time and ended up doing a very long boss rush room by accident too.

How do you get to the other bosses? Just keep playing?

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Leyburn posted:

I beat Mom's Heart for the first time and ended up doing a very long boss rush room by accident too.

How do you get to the other bosses? Just keep playing?
Yes. If you did well enough (or were lucky enough) to get an angel or devil room, you can sometimes go to the next stages early. It takes several more heart kills to unlock a guaranteed choice of which path to continue on with, though.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Finally managed to get to (and beat) mega satan while getting hard mode clears done on Samson. And it was only because one of the 4 items in the Chest was Dad's Key. gently caress the RNG, gently caress the angels.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Woah, I got Mom's Eye and Loki's Horn, it looks like Mom's Eye makes you cross fire all the time.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Quick question: Do moms knife and chocolate milk synergize somehow? Im on a lost run so anything helps.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I had an incredible run going, but I found a dice room and I just had to see what would happen. :sigh: I lost everything cool that I had.

FrickenMoron posted:

Quick question: Do moms knife and chocolate milk synergize somehow? Im on a lost run so anything helps.

Dunno why it would, you can already partially charge the knife to throw it for varying distances. It's not like Brimstone where you fire a flurry of knives.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Here's a code for a pretty OP Judas run.

MW7N
9RYG

Don't take any devil deals, you'll get enough angel rooms to appear to get godhead.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
So how do you guys deal with lost runs? I just had a start where the curse room teleported me to the devil room where i found guppy, brimstone and a follower, but i couldnt exit the curse room anymore.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

What happens if you have both guppy's collar and dead cat nine lives? Does it kill you 9 times and then flip a coin? or does it flip a coin literally every life possibly giving me ~18 on average lives?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Krinkle posted:

What happens if you have both guppy's collar and dead cat nine lives? Does it kill you 9 times and then flip a coin? or does it flip a coin literally every life possibly giving me ~18 on average lives?

9 times and then.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Well gently caress this devil room then.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Krinkle posted:

If you already got dead cat you should definitely take the collar.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

TheModernAmerican posted:

Oh my bad, it was the other battery item. It might have filled up twice but the "orange" second bar is almost identical to the normal color.

Not trying to be a dick here, but you might have some form of mild colorblindness; the orange is quite different from the green, and very obvious.

That, or you're playing with the screen slanted or something.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Krinkle posted:

Collar is still worth it just for the ability to become guppy easier. The only other particularly good (in general) Guppy item is the tail anyway.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Genocyber posted:

Collar is still worth it just for the ability to become guppy easier. The only other particularly good (in general) Guppy item is the tail anyway.

Dunno, guppy's paw is pretty good and makes dead cat an actually pretty decent item.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

TheModernAmerican posted:

I do not understand how game devs think they can just ignore colorblindness. It was fine in base Isaac when everything was bright and cartoony but I can't tell what's going on half the loving time.

John Lee posted:

Not trying to be a dick here, but you might have some form of mild colorblindness; the orange is quite different from the green, and very obvious.
You don't say.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

shut up I am a smart person who does not make mistakes

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

emanresu tnuocca posted:

9 times and then.

So disappointed about this; I was looking forward to this synergy giving you a potentially absurd amount of lives.

Mad Jaqk
Jun 2, 2013

Genocyber posted:

Guppy's Head is pretty great. One of my favorite spacebar items.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Yeah I've actually become pretty fond of the head. Having a one per room homing attack for point-blank self-defense will save your hide on a regular basis. It's the equivalent of six tears' worth of damage, which is nothing to sneeze at. Get Polyphemus and Guppy's Head and :getin:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Krinkle posted:

The latter, I think.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Dunno, guppy's paw is pretty good and makes dead cat an actually pretty decent item.

Yeah I had those two but I also got breakfast so I'm sitting at life 6 with two health and I don't want to use either the paw or trade for the guppy collar.

I have no idea how to turn into guppy. This "can turn into guppy" thing confuses me every time I read it in the item cheat sheet.

a bloody icon
Apr 22, 2012

Krinkle posted:

Yeah I had those two but I also got breakfast so I'm sitting at life 6 with two health and I don't want to use either the paw or trade for the guppy collar.

I have no idea how to turn into guppy. This "can turn into guppy" thing confuses me every time I read it in the item cheat sheet.

Collecting any three Guppy items will turn your character into Guppy.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

a bloody icon posted:

Collecting any three Guppy items will turn your character into Guppy.

And you only need those 3 items for one single moment to become Guppy, you don't need to keep them

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Dackel posted:

And you only need those 3 items for one single moment to become Guppy, you don't need to keep them

Isn't the only use item the really good 1heart = 2 soul hearts paw

e: Or are you referring to becoming guppy and then using a reroll room

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Guppy's Head is a phenomenal resource and if you have some range to your shots you can play keep away for a few rooms and build a 15 fly circle then just run right at a boss and watch them melt.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Krinkle posted:

dead cat is made for suicide devil deals

The Broletariat
May 23, 2004
I wonder if there's beer on the sun?
Finally got Mama's Boy due to Brimstone/Tammy's Head. What an OP combo, rooms just insta die.

Do you still unlock the D6 by beating It Lives with the Blue Baby?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

LaughMyselfTo posted:

So disappointed about this; I was looking forward to this synergy giving you a potentially absurd amount of lives.

No, it flips a coin every time you die.

The Broletariat posted:

Finally got Mama's Boy due to Brimstone/Tammy's Head. What an OP combo, rooms just insta die.

You get it by beating Isaac with him.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
:ocelot:

The Broletariat posted:

Have to beat Isaac as ???.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It should be pointed out that becoming Guppy is insanely good, and I'd usually take it even if that means losing a few heart containers. You get flight (probably the best utility in the game) and also a huge damage boost that you can potentially store up and release at bosses.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It should be pointed out that becoming Guppy is insanely good, and I'd usually take it even if that means losing a few heart containers. You get flight (probably the best utility in the game) and also a huge damage boost that you can potentially store up and release at bosses.

I just became Guppy and I already had really fast firing high-damage scythes as my tears. I went from "kills things fast" to "my uncountable halo of blue flies clears rooms before I have time to orient." And I got it by taking the hairball from a devil deal, which itself was useless. Go out of your way to become Guppy.

I got Dead Boy that run :getin:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Genocyber posted:

Guppy's Paw is a great item, especially if you don't get a damaging use item like Tammy's Head or the Head of Krampus. Even if you have a ton of red hearts it's great because it still converts empty hearts into soul hearts, making your actual health pool much bigger.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

FrickenMoron posted:

So how do you guys deal with lost runs? I just had a start where the curse room teleported me to the devil room where i found guppy, brimstone and a follower, but i couldnt exit the curse room anymore.

Curse rooms on Lost are only really doable if you can bomb your way into them or if you have Holy Mantle. Other than that you gotta avoid them.

With Lost I usually restart until my first item room is something really solid.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Thanks, game.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Kawalimus posted:

Curse rooms on Lost are only really doable if you can bomb your way into them or if you have Holy Mantle. Other than that you gotta avoid them.

With Lost I usually restart until my first item room is something really solid.

They can be used if you have a teleport pill/card as well since you aren't damaged by entering them if you have flying.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Kurtofan posted:

No, it flips a coin every time you die.

Is it a straight-up coin flip? I got it into my head the other day that the Luck stat effected your chances. But anyway, my point was that I thought that your average number of lives would increase drastically if you also had Dead Cat, because you got nine chances to fail the coin flip, but according to the post I responded to, it only starts flipping the coin on your last life.

Che Delilas posted:

Thanks, game.

Get a Hanged Man card.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

LaughMyselfTo posted:

Get a Hanged Man card.
It's probably on level 1. I hate when the game tosses up "lol if you can't fly" opportunities before you have a chance to get the tools to exploit them.

That goes for if you have to fight Gluttony with the little island room layout on the first floor, too. You end up wasting time plinking away at the fucker with barely any damage at that point, and since you probably have no way of getting to the little island, you get nothing to show for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

LaughMyselfTo posted:

Is it a straight-up coin flip? I got it into my head the other day that the Luck stat effected your chances. But anyway, my point was that I thought that your average number of lives would increase drastically if you also had Dead Cat, because you got nine chances to fail the coin flip, but according to the post I responded to, it only starts flipping the coin on your last life.

I had the combo and it started "flipping the coin" from the get go.

I had 8 lives?, I died and I still had 8 lives?

Unless I imagined that, but I remember thinking "uh pretty cool"