Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

meristem posted:

The IM plays also as background music to the TV news.

Anyway, I enjoyed some of the implications of this episode. Namely, Ezra was born around the same time as the Jedi massacre happened in RoTS. He's also only a few days older than Luke and Leia!. On the other hand, VTOL TIEs freak me out for some reason I can't really comprehend. Probably I'm simply not used to it... Do they do this hover mid-air, land straight-down thing anywhere else?

Not sure about that, but we've seen them drop out of the bottom of Star Destroyers, and the docking arrangements for them seem to imply that they are VTOL. (You also don't exactly see landing gear or wheels on them, they seem to rest on their solar panels).

Neat to see that TIE/Advanced. Whoever called it an Interceptor is wrong, the Interceptor has the pointy triangular solar panels in front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
It sounds like the composer is stepping on all of John William's ques.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

BizarroAzrael posted:

I think they are seen sat on the Endor landing platforms, implying VTOL. Plus they don't have landing gear wheels, being primarily starfighters used in atmosphere because they are cheap.

Wasn't that a Skyprey in the schematics? An EU design?

There was definitely a TIE Bomber (still in development at this time, I think), and an Imperial Landing Craft (the enlongated Imperial shuttle. Probably to indicate troop movement).

EDIT: I liked the callback to Episode IV in the cantina. The shot of Hera and Zeb sitting while the Imperial pilots were going around was reminiscent of Han and Chewie waiting in the Mos Eisley cantina as the stormtroopers looked for Luke and Obi-Wan.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 14, 2014

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

TheBigBad posted:

It sounds like the composer is stepping on all of John William's ques.

I feel like there's been a lot of Indiana Jones score influences as much as it's Star Wars.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

PunkBoy posted:

EDIT: I liked the callback to Episode IV in the cantina. The shot of Hera and Zeb sitting while the Imperial pilots were going around was reminiscent of Han and Chewie waiting in the Mos Eisley cantina as the stormtroopers looked for Luke and Obi-Wan.

I love that stuff, and Bail Organa mimicing Leia with Artoo.

E: it annoys me I keep wishing for Firefly references, Empire Day reminds me of Unification Day, especially since it was discussed in a bar.

Maybe Zeb could ref Cowboy Bebop? I'm such a loving child.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 15, 2014

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

This show looks absolutely gorgeous at times. Stormtroopers are extremely well modeled, and any time you can catch close up of the Inquisitor while he glares, it's great. There are some definite shortcomings with the budget though. Have we seen a single really impressive backdrop yet? Even in Imperial Day during the chase, I don't think they ever show anything but the city in the background as they flee. It's either city, nothingness, or sky.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Garel (see above), as well as the abandoned asteroid base from "Out of Darkness" provided for some pretty nice backdrops. :shrug:

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
That astroid place was cool, can't wait to play that level in the video game

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

meristem posted:

The IM plays also as background music to the TV news.

Anyway, I enjoyed some of the implications of this episode. Namely, Ezra was born around the same time as the Jedi massacre happened in RoTS. He's also only a few days older than Luke and Leia!. On the other hand, VTOL TIEs freak me out for some reason I can't really comprehend. Probably I'm simply not used to it... Do they do this hover mid-air, land straight-down thing anywhere else?

Star Wars tends to have all their space craft be perfectly capable of VTOL and hovering. I think it started in A New Hope so they could have the X-wings turn on the spot without any forward momentum so it looked all sci-fi and have the actor stand next to them. Beyond that all small craft seem to be able to just go straight up and over just a couple of meters above the ground without issues.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Nov 16, 2014

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Repulsor technology is a hell of a thing

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

The curvy folding-wing TIE Advanced (call it an x0, I guess) is another early McQuarrie given new life.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

It's pretty sexy I'll say that much.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
How are you even supposed to board a Tie-Fighter that is standing on the ground?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Tarquinn posted:

How are you even supposed to board a Tie-Fighter that is standing on the ground?

Same way you board an X-Wing?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Tarquinn posted:

Ladder going up the back. You can see here in the Entanglement short. Watching the clip from Empire Day though... I have no clue. Unless a ladder comes out the bottom or something, the ships have their cockpits closed.

Edit: Also, got a look at the latest online episode. Its not quite as good as the episode before overall, I'd say, but it has the more impressive single moments. Particularly when Ezra has his first taste of the dark side, calling on the monster inside him, and getting an actual monster in turn to appear. That sold me on the episode, even more than the Inquisitor no-selling the blaster and a newb holding a lightsaber. Because it just nails how the dark side should feel, when wielded by an otherwise heroic individual - powerful, but wrong.

Astro Nut fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 18, 2014

SentSix
Jul 19, 2001

Astro Nut posted:

Ladder going up the back. You can see here in the Entanglement short. Watching the clip from Empire Day though... I have no clue. Unless a ladder comes out the bottom or something, the ships have their cockpits closed.

Edit: Also, got a look at the latest online episode. Its not quite as good as the episode before overall, I'd say, but it has the more impressive single moments. Particularly when Ezra has his first taste of the dark side, calling on the monster inside him, and getting an actual monster in turn to appear. That sold me on the episode, even more than the Inquisitor no-selling the blaster and a newb holding a lightsaber. Because it just nails how the dark side should feel, when wielded by an otherwise heroic individual - powerful, but wrong.

There was something in the latest episode that really caught my attention. The way the Inquisitor is completely dismissive of Kanan's lightsaber abilities, at one point calling his training woefully inadequate. I'm getting the feeling that Kanan hadn't even passed the Jedi Trials before Order 66 happened.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

SentSix posted:

There was something in the latest episode that really caught my attention. The way the Inquisitor is completely dismissive of Kanan's lightsaber abilities, at one point calling his training woefully inadequate. I'm getting the feeling that Kanan hadn't even passed the Jedi Trials before Order 66 happened.

I assumed everyone already knew this (mild A New Dawn spoilers) - Kanan was a padawan at the time of the purge. After the purge he does literally no jedi training of any kind, he only keeps his saber for sentimental reasons (at least before joining up with Hera at the end of A New Dawn). Its kind of ambiguous what he intends to do about his Jedi side at the end of AND but I get the impression that he only really goes back to the force because of Ezra

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Tarquinn posted:

They've shown them with top hatches, too. Presumably, that's how you get in when they're hanging from gantries.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

MrFlibble posted:

I assumed everyone already knew this (mild A New Dawn spoilers) - Kanan was a padawan at the time of the purge. After the purge he does literally no jedi training of any kind, he only keeps his saber for sentimental reasons (at least before joining up with Hera at the end of A New Dawn). Its kind of ambiguous what he intends to do about his Jedi side at the end of AND but I get the impression that he only really goes back to the force because of Ezra

Btw, what's the deal with his lightsaber? The hilt seems to be made of two components, which need to be combined for it to activate. At first I thought it's a training saber, since he was a padawan kid at the time of the purge and probably never got a chance to build a real one, but then those are supposed to be low-powered and I think he has cut through some stuff with his.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Does it have anything to do with his lightsaber being adjustable maybe? Like how his saber can extend to different lengths.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

enraged_camel posted:

Btw, what's the deal with his lightsaber? The hilt seems to be made of two components, which need to be combined for it to activate. At first I thought it's a training saber, since he was a padawan kid at the time of the purge and probably never got a chance to build a real one, but then those are supposed to be low-powered and I think he has cut through some stuff with his.

It's probably just so it isn't so conspicuous hanging from his belt. Don't want to attract too much attention to yourself being a jedi after the purge. Also if some of the eu stuff is still accurate, then all lightsabers should have the adjustment knob.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Anyway, I got done binge-watching the entire TCW a few days ago, and I'm still having trouble adjusting to this show. While I like the fact that it feels more A-New-Hope-ish, I find the characters pretty uninteresting. Except Tumblr-girl :swoon:. I love that Disney is taking some risks with having an outright artsy character who also kicks rear end.

Hopefully we'll see some character development soon.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

enraged_camel posted:

Anyway, I got done binge-watching the entire TCW a few days ago, and I'm still having trouble adjusting to this show. While I like the fact that it feels more A-New-Hope-ish, I find the characters pretty uninteresting. Except Tumblr-girl :swoon:. I love that Disney is taking some risks with having an outright artsy character who also kicks rear end.

Hopefully we'll see some character development soon.

The last time someone tried that it was the green lantern comic melt down thing right?

My main issue all the characters are less interesting so far than clone wars characters. It's less fun watching weak characters do less interesting things than all the powerful characters we had to watch before hand.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

MrFlibble posted:

Yeah. It came about because of the age, as Filoni notes in an interview. Namely, that after pegging him to be in his late 20s (specifically 28), a little bit of math made them realise that would only make him old enough to be a padawan when Order 66 went down. They then decided to tie it into his overall character - he's only the most 'qualified' Jedi around by default, not because he's actually that good. It'll probably mean something like finally defeating the Inquisitor as a way of proving, to the villain, himself, and the audience alike, that he is finally a Jedi Knight.

Speaking of, I do like how they're handling the Inquisitor so far. He actually is someone you expect to be a threat when he shows up.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I'm a Star Wars fan, but I don't really consume anything outside of the movies. I tried watching the Clone Wars but I just couldn't get into it. (I did watch that cartoon Clone Wars miniseries thing that came out around Episode III. I liked that)

I kinda like this show. I binged through the whole season (except the movie, I can't find that anywhere....not on my Watch Disney XD app on my Apple TV) and only have a few minor complaints.

Freddie Prinze Jr sounds like Aladdin and is overall a pretty bad voice actor. Oh well, I guess they needed a "big name".
Needs more Jason Isaacs.
Needs less electric slingshot things.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Needs more astromech droid shenanigans and proto chewbacca goofs

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
They can't add revan, but they should bring back HK-47 to be rebels cad bane, or boba fett. Oh wait they can't add any awesome characters as villains because the heroes will die like bitches.

I also like how the episode tailored to show how badass the female characters are, was really a thinly veiled plot to show how they are weak and need the men to save them, also that episode was boring.

I'm also getting mad because i'm getting behind because i don't have cable and if i try and catch up at someones house who does, they aren't adding or are adding episodes out of order on on demand.

Oh yeah also even if kanan becomes a jedi knight, power wise won't he still be middling to possibly weak as far as jedi go?

I'm pretty mad Rebels makes me feel like when a rpg sequel takes all your fun stuff away and makes you level 1 again, and you have to deal with boring poo poo nonstop all over again.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Mahoning posted:

I'm a Star Wars fan, but I don't really consume anything outside of the movies. I tried watching the Clone Wars but I just couldn't get into it. (I did watch that cartoon Clone Wars miniseries thing that came out around Episode III. I liked that)

I kinda like this show. I binged through the whole season (except the movie, I can't find that anywhere....not on my Watch Disney XD app on my Apple TV) and only have a few minor complaints.

Freddie Prinze Jr sounds like Aladdin and is overall a pretty bad voice actor. Oh well, I guess they needed a "big name".
Needs more Jason Isaacs.
Needs less electric slingshot things.

I would urge you to give The Clone Wars show another chance. The first season is kinda shaky but it finds its feet in the second season. Then it gets crazy dark and you're like ":stare: This is a kids show?" It's worth it for the most part.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Thwomp posted:

I would urge you to give The Clone Wars show another chance. The first season is kinda shaky but it finds its feet in the second season. Then it gets crazy dark and you're like ":stare: This is a kids show?" It's worth it for the most part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SLt6T1jqLk i couldn't find it but a few seconds later you have clone troopers executing burning bodies in the back round while the jedi talk to each other.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Thwomp posted:

As a side note, rumor has it that's why it suddenly got canceled: it got way too dark for Cartoon Network.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

TOILETLORD posted:

I also like how the episode tailored to show how badass the female characters are, was really a thinly veiled plot to show how they are weak and need the men to save them, also that episode was boring.
I disagree.

But. On that note. That episode you mention was Pitch Black. Empire Day feels like Johnny Mnemonic. Any other references I didn't notice?

TOILETLORD posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SLt6T1jqLk i couldn't find it but a few seconds later you have clone troopers executing burning bodies in the back round while the jedi talk to each other.
Given how Mahoning likes Rebels and not CW, perhaps CW was too dark for them?

If not, the episode was called Landing at Point Rain.

Also, thanks for the comments on the VTOL TIEs. Like I said, I simply probably wasn't accustomed to that.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Well the latest episode is interesting so what is up with all of the animal control going on, is that something that happened a lot in Clone Wars?

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis

TOILETLORD posted:

I considered this when first watching it, then discarded it as an invalid criticism. Developing a plan and holding up against overwhelming odds until the extraction team arrives is hardly a 'damsel in distress' situation. If it was Zeb/Kanan/Ezra on the ground and Hera/Sabine in the Ghost, it'd be far more offensive because once again the boys get to have a dramatic adventure and even get some interpersonal development while the girls are relegated to the support role.

Aces High posted:

Well the latest episode is interesting so what is up with all of the animal control going on, is that something that happened a lot in Clone Wars?

TCW was all about utilizing and cameoing post-Prequels EU, pulling characters and events from the Dark Horse comics, and overall being an example of what the expanded Star Wars fiction looked like in the 2000s: big sweeping adventure, gobs of unique Jedi, big battles and setpieces, etc.

Rebels, as some people have mentioned upthread, really has a similar vibe as the Star Wars tabletop RPG made by West End Games back in the days when the EU wasn't as strictly monitored and novelists and game designers were inventing all sorts of crazy poo poo because 1) they could and 2) in the case of games, you want tons of options for your characters. It's definitely more "Crunchy" compared to TCW's "Shiny" approach, if that metaphor makes any sense. Maybe a better comparison would be to say that, narratively, TCW reflects the vertically-designed EU where there's lots of big stuff happening within clearly-defined rules, and Rebels is horizontally-designed with a very wide spread of small oddities.

I think I may end up enjoying Rebels more than I did TCW. TCW's nonlinear vignette format with its gigantic cast of rotating characters was a great way to portray the scope of a galactic, multi-front conflict like the Clone Wars. With Rebels, however, we're benefiting from a tighter plotting which focuses on a small cast and longer arcs. 9 episodes in, and I feel like I have a much stronger feel for who Zeb, Hera, or Chopper is compared to one of the recurring protagonists with a comparable amount of screentime in TCW like Ki-Adi-Mundi, Luminara/Barriss, or Epsilon Squad (was that their designation? The cadets who rose through the ranks and slowly get whittled down through the series).

Who is Fulcrum? My first guess was Bail Organa, but he's shown up and we've seen that the Tantive IV has red stripes. Fulcrum's corvette has blue stripes, which could definitely be a hint for Ahsoka, but that may be a bit too on the nose and also Hera has referred to Fulcrum as "he".

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Just watched Empire Day, and I'm impressed on how ruthless the heroes are for a kid show. They're shown killing enemies multiple times, and then Zeb spots Kallus and gets a bead on him. I'd expected Kanan to go all Jedi and stop him from shooting, but instead he says basically "The Inquisitor's more important than Kallus, ice him instead". drat, son.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

tin can made man posted:

I considered this when first watching it, then discarded it as an invalid criticism. Developing a plan and holding up against overwhelming odds until the extraction team arrives is hardly a 'damsel in distress' situation. If it was Zeb/Kanan/Ezra on the ground and Hera/Sabine in the Ghost, it'd be far more offensive because once again the boys get to have a dramatic adventure and even get some interpersonal development while the girls are relegated to the support role.

TCW was all about utilizing and cameoing post-Prequels EU, pulling characters and events from the Dark Horse comics, and overall being an example of what the expanded Star Wars fiction looked like in the 2000s: big sweeping adventure, gobs of unique Jedi, big battles and setpieces, etc.

Rebels, as some people have mentioned upthread, really has a similar vibe as the Star Wars tabletop RPG made by West End Games back in the days when the EU wasn't as strictly monitored and novelists and game designers were inventing all sorts of crazy poo poo because 1) they could and 2) in the case of games, you want tons of options for your characters. It's definitely more "Crunchy" compared to TCW's "Shiny" approach, if that metaphor makes any sense. Maybe a better comparison would be to say that, narratively, TCW reflects the vertically-designed EU where there's lots of big stuff happening within clearly-defined rules, and Rebels is horizontally-designed with a very wide spread of small oddities.

I think I may end up enjoying Rebels more than I did TCW. TCW's nonlinear vignette format with its gigantic cast of rotating characters was a great way to portray the scope of a galactic, multi-front conflict like the Clone Wars. With Rebels, however, we're benefiting from a tighter plotting which focuses on a small cast and longer arcs. 9 episodes in, and I feel like I have a much stronger feel for who Zeb, Hera, or Chopper is compared to one of the recurring protagonists with a comparable amount of screentime in TCW like Ki-Adi-Mundi, Luminara/Barriss, or Epsilon Squad (was that their designation? The cadets who rose through the ranks and slowly get whittled down through the series).

Who is Fulcrum? My first guess was Bail Organa, but he's shown up and we've seen that the Tantive IV has red stripes. Fulcrum's corvette has blue stripes, which could definitely be a hint for Ahsoka, but that may be a bit too on the nose and also Hera has referred to Fulcrum as "he".

I think my issue is that the clone wars used alot of preestablished characters locations etc, and didn't have to do hardly any world building, and got straight to the action in lots of episodes ( i ignore all jar jar padme and senate episodes now on rewatches because boring).

Rebels feels like it is starting from square one, slower, also like i said i'm having trouble catching all the episodes think last one i saw was the imperial academy episode. so my opinion is skewed.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

meristem posted:

Given how Mahoning likes Rebels and not CW, perhaps CW was too dark for them?

Nah, I just watched like 2 episodes and was like "same old poo poo". Nothing hooked me.

To be honest, I have no idea what hooked me about Rebels at all? Maybe its just not burdened by characters from the movies. I think I like that. No Star Wars masturbation in Rebels.....and whatever is there is a lot more subtle. In fact, I love that they made fun of Yoda's infamous quote.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

tin can made man posted:

Not to mention they got stuck in that situation because the male characters proved irresponsible and hosed up big time. That's pretty damning IMO.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

enraged_camel posted:

Not to mention they got stuck in that situation because the male characters proved irresponsible and hosed up big time. That's pretty damning IMO.

Eh traditionally in a lot of older media men do far worst work when being bossed around by a woman. Clone wars and rebels has a lot of what i kinda see as outdated tropes being used. The characters seem to act in some situation more like they were born in the 50's or 40's, or like characters from media from the 40's and 50's.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
To be fair, it's not like being told to do something by Hera is what made Ezra, Zebo, and Chopper into big dummies. If Grand Moff Tarkin gave those particular three a job to do together, I bet the end result would have been pretty similar.

Mikl posted:

Just watched Empire Day, and I'm impressed on how ruthless the heroes are for a kid show. They're shown killing enemies multiple times, and then Zeb spots Kallus and gets a bead on him. I'd expected Kanan to go all Jedi and stop him from shooting, but instead he says basically "The Inquisitor's more important than Kallus, ice him instead". drat, son.

It's a nice tonal shift. TCW alternated between fantasy adventurers, special-ops scifi squadrons, and dramatic politicos, but the crew of the Ghost are a guerrilla cell of a larger, organized insurgency. They fund their operations by selling stolen materiel to a black market arms dealer, steal military intelligence for an unseen conspirator, and have implicit ideological ties to an exiled noble who snippets his manifesto over the media. Empire Day had them very publicly sabotage and destroy a prototype spacecraft in the middle of an Imperial national holiday parade - that's about as close to "80s Movie Terrorist" as you're likely to get on DisneyXD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

tin can made man posted:

The crew of the Ghost are a guerrilla cell of a larger, organized insurgency. They fund their operations by selling stolen materiel to a black market arms dealer, steal military intelligence for an unseen conspirator, and have implicit ideological ties to an exiled noble who snippets his manifesto over the media.

Are we watching the same show? To me, the crew of the ghost are a group of assholes who do whatever they can to make a buck, and then the gently caress up the empire whenever they can, just to be dicks. And if people pay them for it, even better! Maybe I'm not paying attention, but I haven't even seen hints to then being part of a larger insurgency. Didn't they discredit the 'exiled noble?' His intel just about got them killed, and was shown to be a trap that's been used repeatedly.

• Locked thread