Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

SlayVus posted:

What tablet has the best RAM and storage speeds? I had a TF700 and the RAM and storage speeds on it a slow to what I would like. Play Store updates would make the tablet completely unusable until the updates were done.

iPad Air 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008 posted:

iPad Air 2.

Would rather stick with Android since I have about $100 of apps on the play store/Amazon store already.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
So right now my 8 year old daughter is using a hp touchpad (yeah it's old but it is running kitkat 4.4 pretty well) Looking to upgrade it however this xmas. What would you recommend for under $200 with a larger screen (it's 9.7")

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014
So I got my Nexus 9 and I'm disappointed. Its unstable the N7 is stable and solid In comparison to it (think to all the iPhone bend videos,
if you hold the N9 in your hands), the battery is not so good as you read it (I have the wlan 32GB model and I can see percent to percent
disappears as long as the screen is on).
Very sad to that and not sure if I send it back (I have one week to think about it).

On the good side the size of the N9 is for me perfect, the display (yes I have the bright spots on black screen crap too)
except this error it is good (for me. Used for internet, movies and games, only on totally black screens the bright spots
sting you in the eye).
The new Android runs nice and clean up much apps. Sad but thats all from the good side I can tell after a week with the new N9. :(

I cannot advise anyone with a clear conscience to buy this tablet. Maybe in some months, if they launch a reworked version of the nexus 9, but atm no, isn't a good deal for this bucnh of money.

But thats only my experience with the nexus 9!

Feel free to ask me if you would to know some about the N9.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

XenJ posted:

So I got my Nexus 9 and I'm disappointed.

I cannot advise anyone with a clear conscience to buy this tablet.

I agree 100%. I happily returned my Nexus 9 and cannot recommend the Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 inch enough. The SAMOLED screen is totally ridiculously awesome.

\/ \/ :crossarms: Ok, good luck with your search.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Nov 17, 2014

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014
Thx for your hint with the Galaxy tab S 10.5 but I no more support samsung products since they failed with the mobile phones and the usability of local phone cards.
this is a no go for me.
My second no for samsung is I don't like this customized android versions. If they have no interest in a year or so you get no more updates.
Look to the Android 5.0 list and how much products from samsung (other companies with customized android version too) are called out of date and get no update ...
but from the point of hardware they can handle the new android version easy if google can spend android 5.0 to nexus 4 and 7(2012) devices.

The N9 with a alu back side and a clear screen could rock so much oh and the battery from the N10 if I now start talk from my wishlist :homebrew:

Stoven
Feb 11, 2008
I am looking for something to do so lite homework with(engineering) and lite browsing. I'm not looking to use it too heavily but want something i can take to a coffee shop for a couple of hours to get some work done. I'm kinda dirt poor and have the option to get a 16gb Galaxy Note 8.0" through points on my credit card. I was wondering if this will suit my purposes or if I'm just wasting my points.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Stoven posted:

I am looking for something to do so lite homework with(engineering) and lite browsing. I'm not looking to use it too heavily but want something i can take to a coffee shop for a couple of hours to get some work done. I'm kinda dirt poor and have the option to get a 16gb Galaxy Note 8.0" through points on my credit card. I was wondering if this will suit my purposes or if I'm just wasting my points.

"Lite" homework isn't well-defined, but you probably don't want a tablet. It sucks to enter text without a bluetooth keyboard. If you're doing handwritten stuff and you're "dirt poor," a pad of paper and a pen is a better option.

If you need to get homework done, you're better off with a laptop. Or just working in a school library/computer lab.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Stoven posted:

The first post on tabs not being great for that is probably on par. Tabs for me honestly aren't bad for typing, but anything beyond literally just typing and paragraphing sucks in terms of word documentation. But it can be done, I timed my typing on an iPad (I type on one all day at work) and I'm 55-60 WPM on it.

There are like, 5 versions of the Note 8.0, but I'm betting the points one is the older one unless you really have a lot of points. Look for a N7, or honestly a Chromebook could possibly be better (people here either love/hate google docs. Personally I think it's fine).

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014

Stoven posted:

The best is, go in he next store and finger a tablet of your choice to test if you can handle typing on it. That helps with your decision.
Do you mean with "engineering" you have to paint/draw or the need of special math applications? Make sure this programs run under a Android system. otherwise a notebook with Apple or Windows maybe Linux, is your first choice?
Duckman 2008 has right the combination of google drive and the docs application is a nice working thing under Android but you must keep in mind you send your datas in a cloud!
If you áre poor and can get a 16gb Galaxy Note 8.0" for less (points on your Credit Card), take it.
In my opinion is that better as to spend money to buy a N7 or others in your situation.

But so or so which decision you take go in a store first and touch a tablet, to find out if you can work with it.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
So is the Kindle Fire garbage? They've got a decent deal going today and I'd basically use it for movies, web browsing, some fantasy sport apps, and board games.

db franco
Jul 14, 2014
Is the nexus 9 really that bad? I've read the other thread and it seems there are lot of happy folks.

To dissuade "anyone with a clear conscience" seems harsh. Can you share your experience in more detail?

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

What would you recommend to replace my ipad 3?

I like the android ecosystem so definitely want that over apple. 7 inch screen is too small. I use it mainly for browsing and reading. The ipad 3 is fine but is just getting a bit slow. What about the new sony tablet or the samsung galaxy 10 inch one? Much difference between them?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Any opinions on the Linx 7? I've got the opportunity to grab one for £50, which is a quarter of the price of my preferred tablet (Nexus 7).

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Well I updated my already slow 2012 N7 to Lollipop today and now it runs even slower so I'm just going to get a new tablet. I want something with a larger screen but I don't want a fullsize tablet and I don't want to spend over $300 if possible. Right now I'm looking at the Nvidia Shield tablet or an Ipad Mini 2. Or is there another option for $300 or less? I would use the tablet for web browsing, awful app, gaming, and reading.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Nov 19, 2014

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

spasticColon posted:

Well I updated my already slow 2012 N7 to Lollipop today and now it runs even slower so I'm just going to get a new tablet. I want something with a larger screen but I don't want a fullsize tablet and I don't want to spend over $300 if possible. Right now I'm looking at the Nvidia Shield tablet or an Ipad Mini 2. Or is there another option for $300 or less? I would use the tablet for web browsing, awful app, gaming, and reading.
The iPad Mini 2 is available on the Apple refurbished store online and is probably the best tablet deal going right now.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

The iPad Mini 2 is available on the Apple refurbished store online and is probably the best tablet deal going right now.

I'm kinda weary of buying a refurbished tablet even if it has a warranty and refurbished products of any kind usually have cosmetic blemishes. I'd rather spend $50 more and get a new one or are you referring to the 32GB model for $300?

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Nov 19, 2014

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

spasticColon posted:

I'm kinda weary of buying a refurbished tablet even if it has a warranty and refurbished products of any kind usually have cosmetic blemishes. I'd rather spend $50 more and get a new one or are you referring to the 32GB model for $300?

Apple refurbished items get completely new cases and screens and have the exact same warranty as buying new.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Apple refurbished items get completely new cases and screens and have the exact same warranty as buying new.

Well if that's the case then the 16GB model sounds like a good deal for $250 unless an argument can made to spend $50 more for a refurbished 32GB model. How much storage space would I have to work with on a 16GB model?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

spasticColon posted:

Well if that's the case then the 16GB model sounds like a good deal for $250 unless an argument can made to spend $50 more for a refurbished 32GB model. How much storage space would I have to work with on a 16GB model?

I'm debating selling my N7 '13 and going with this (work pulled my iPad), and I would definitely do the 32GB. Even if you assume you can always stream via a decent phone data plan and wifi tethering, apps can take up a lot of space on a 16GB.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Amazon Fire HD 6 vs. HP Stream 7

Going to buy one for my daughter who will use it for Netflix, games, youtube, that's about it. Stream shows a slight edge on paper and Win8.1 is probably more flexible, but I suspect Amazon will provide better service if something goes wrong. Any goon preference one way or the other before I click buy?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

wormil posted:

Amazon Fire HD 6 vs. HP Stream 7

Going to buy one for my daughter who will use it for Netflix, games, youtube, that's about it. Stream shows a slight edge on paper and Win8.1 is probably more flexible, but I suspect Amazon will provide better service if something goes wrong. Any goon preference one way or the other before I click buy?

Fire HD 6.

Windows on tablets is great but, if all she's looking to do is Netflix/games/youtube/internet, it would be overkill for her.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Call Me Charlie posted:

Fire HD 6.

Windows on tablets is great but, if all she's looking to do is Netflix/games/youtube/internet, it would be overkill for her.

Yeah I understand what you are saying but overkill isn't really a concern. She uses a Win8 laptop for school but isn't allowed to install anything on it. She's responsible, I just want her to have something so she doesn't have to borrow my wife's ipad because then my wife jumps on my computer. Mostly I'm concerned about service/support if it breaks and then performance. The more I look at the Stream, the more I'm leaning that direction.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

wormil posted:

Yeah I understand what you are saying but overkill isn't really a concern. She uses a Win8 laptop for school but isn't allowed to install anything on it. She's responsible, I just want her to have something so she doesn't have to borrow my wife's ipad because then my wife jumps on my computer. Mostly I'm concerned about service/support if it breaks and then performance. The more I look at the Stream, the more I'm leaning that direction.

Well, I meant that the advantages of having a Windows tablet goes away when you are just looking to do basic tablet stuff. An android tablet can do those basics way better than Windows 8 and it would probably be more convenient for her to use. (plus Amazon gives away free games all the time)

I don't know how old she is but you could always pay extra for that Fire HD for kids. I think it's $149 and it comes in a case with a 2 year no questions asked return policy. The case maybe a bit lame if she's over ten but it's an option.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

On the Apple store it says the refurbished Ipads have a new battery and outer shell does that include a new screen as well?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

spasticColon posted:

On the Apple store it says the refurbished Ipads have a new battery and outer shell does that include a new screen as well?

Yes.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

spasticColon posted:

Any defective parts are replaced, they have a full warranty, and you can get Applecare. If they have the model/size/color you want in the refurb section, there's zero reason to get a new one instead.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

Any defective parts are replaced, they have a full warranty, and you can get Applecare. If they have the model/size/color you want in the refurb section, there's zero reason to get a new one instead.

That's good but will 16GB be enough for web browsing, awful app, Hearthstone, and reading books? Or should I wait and spend $50 more on a 32GB model?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
If it's JUST that stuff, yes. iPad apps are considerably larger than their iPhone counterparts so even just a few games can eat up a ton of space. You're gonna run out of space real fast. Apple has a no questions asked 14 day return policy. If you find you're wanting more space, just return it and get a bigger one.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Recommend me an alternative tablet, or a place to buy it, or something. I'm kind of pissed off currently and need a bit of clear thought and guidance.

I was all set to buy a factory refurbished TF700 64Gb with keyboard and warranty for about $300. The large online retailer (is it alright to name drop?) hosed up pretty badly. My order was left to stagnate after paying. Long story short, customer service, IT, despatch and some manager types were trying to find out wtf happened to my order. In the end they were trying to sell me something that technically didn't exist in their stock any more. They had a defect return and some kind of database corruption plunked it back on to their retail inventory for some reason.

So now I'm kind of stuck. It's weeks later and I can't find anything comparable. My choices are one the same, used, and not in 100% condition (no warranty of course) on eBay, or one with a hosed battery, or well not much else really.

$300 is pretty much a hard limit. My 7" tablet doesn't meet my needs very well (no BT or GPS), and my netbook has been kind of screwed for a couple of years (dead webcam, erratic wi-fi and the computer is jut dead slow).

the 64Gb would have lasted me really well. The keyboard / dock setup is one of the reasons the Transformer series is top of the list to me, plus the TF700 has an IPS+ screen and Gorilla Glass 2(?) screen.

I'm in Australia. I've already been hosed around by oo.com.au and Kogan in pretty much the same way and now have the desire to force the next person that does this poo poo to drink my stockpile of used diff oil.

My requirements are:

*Tough.
*Lots'o'storage.
*Decent specs.
*Bright, clear screen.

I abhor Windows 8 so no. Just no. I'm already invested in Android with apps, and have no issue with flashing custom ROMs if need be. Just point me in the right direction to get what I want or show me something better or equivalent at the same price point. I arrived at the TF700 after a lot of research so someone else needs to step in and tell me something I don't know.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I have a 2012 Nexus 7 that is getting pretty unusable, and was thinking about getting a Nexus 9, but I've kind of soured on Nexus devices after watching the performance degradation on my 7 and having the Galaxy Nexus be the worst smart phone I've ever owned. The N1 kind of caught my eye, but I'm not sure of the 4:3 ratio since I've never used an iPad. How does it compare to the 9? Are there any other high-end Android tablets out there right now with good build qualities?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Call Me Charlie posted:

Well, I meant that the advantages of having a Windows tablet goes away when you are just looking to do basic tablet stuff. An android tablet can do those basics way better than Windows 8 and it would probably be more convenient for her to use. (plus Amazon gives away free games all the time)

I don't know how old she is but you could always pay extra for that Fire HD for kids. I think it's $149 and it comes in a case with a 2 year no questions asked return policy. The case maybe a bit lame if she's over ten but it's an option.

Good points and now I'm back on the fence.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

I have a 2012 Nexus 7 that is getting pretty unusable, and was thinking about getting a Nexus 9, but I've kind of soured on Nexus devices after watching the performance degradation on my 7 and having the Galaxy Nexus be the worst smart phone I've ever owned. The N1 kind of caught my eye, but I'm not sure of the 4:3 ratio since I've never used an iPad. How does it compare to the 9? Are there any other high-end Android tablets out there right now with good build qualities?

Personally the N7 2013 is fine, but I would take an iPad Mini over it. For larger screens I think its a no brained, apps and functionality are just better on an iPad vs larger screen android tablet. Add in better build quality, and that makes a good case for either an iPad Air 2 on the high end, or a return Air 1 or Mini 2 on a bit of the cheaper end.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

Personally the N7 2013 is fine, but I would take an iPad Mini over it. For larger screens I think its a no brained, apps and functionality are just better on an iPad vs larger screen android tablet. Add in better build quality, and that makes a good case for either an iPad Air 2 on the high end, or a return Air 1 or Mini 2 on a bit of the cheaper end.

This is a dumb question, but do you need to use itunes with the Apple tablets? The number one reason I never have bought an Apple product is I never want to interact with itunes in any way, shape, or form on my computer. Do you have to install something to get files on your iPad from a Windows computer? How well do iPads interact with the google ecosystem stuff like gmail and play?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

This is a dumb question, but do you need to use itunes with the Apple tablets? The number one reason I never have bought an Apple product is I never want to interact with itunes in any way, shape, or form on my computer. Do you have to install something to get files on your iPad from a Windows computer? How well do iPads interact with the google ecosystem stuff like gmail and play?
Depends what you're trying to do. If want to put music and movies on it, you *might* need iTunes, but there's ways around it. Google Play Music is available, as are every other music streaming service I can think of, and there's various movie apps that can transfer files via other means, I'm pretty sure. You can't just plug it in and move stuff over through Explorer, though. It works fine with Gmail, though the stock email app can't get push from Gmail, but there's a Gmail app that's pretty good. I'm not sure all Google Play services are available, but Music, Movies & TV, Books, and Newstand all are for sure along with Drive, Docs, and Sheets. The only really conspicuous absence I can think of is Google Keep.

LittleFuryThings
Jan 11, 2012
I want a tablet mainly for reading PDFs and comics. So I'd like a 9"+ screen. Amazon has refurbished Kindle Fire 8.9 for $160. Is that a good buy for my uses?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Just replying. I ended up getting a secondhand TF700, for only slightly more than the refurb one I got shafted on :( Anger is a harsh mistress. It was posted on Monday so hopefully it should be here by the end of next week.

If my budget were a bit healthier I could have had a TF701 for $100 more but that's life. The extra RAM would have been nice but the extra resolution would have been wasted on me.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Are there going to be any black Friday or cyber Monday deals on Ipad mini 2 tablets?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

spasticColon posted:

Are there going to be any black Friday or cyber Monday deals on Ipad mini 2 tablets?

Check Best Buy, think I got an email they are having a sale on them right now or soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

spasticColon posted:

Yeah, it's $100 off the Air 2, $75 off the Mini 2. Going right now.