Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

bobkatt013 posted:

Going to get a Ward was right shirt?

No, because he still might end up being a Skrull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

greatn posted:

I can understand thinking Ward didn't maybe, but why would you think Garret would? The purpose of the exercise was a test of Ward's loyalty and ability to follow orders and overcome his "weakness". Even if Ward failed the test the dog itself was meaningless. Its not like it knew the Busch's beans secret family recipe.

http://io9.com/how-soon-could-grant-ward-find-redemption-on-agents-of-1613606987

quote:

I know. It was supposed to be ambiguous. According to me, he did not. It's open to interpretation, but I'll answer that: No. Because it's irredeemable. You can't kill a dog! If you do that, you're just done. So, redemption arc? It's just going to be dead in the water. You can't kill a dog.

The actors himself believes Ward didn't kill the dog.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Goddamnit not this poo poo again. Can't we all just appreciate Crazy Ward for the crazy person that he is?

mikeraskol posted:

As soon as Muad'Dad tells her what Whitewall did to Mama Skye, I think she's going to do whatever he says.

I don't think she'll do everything, but she'll be inclined to listen to him instead of just dismissing him at least.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Xtanstic posted:

Goddamnit not this poo poo again. Can't we all just appreciate Crazy Ward for the crazy person that he is?

He's just not crazy enough without the beard.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Crazy Ward was interesting for like 3 episodes then it just became boring as poo poo.

Crazy Dad can keep it going all season :colbert:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Midnight City posted:

Crazy Ward was interesting for like 3 episodes then it just became boring as poo poo.

Crazy Dad can keep it going all season :colbert:

How's Skye? How's Skye?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

bobkatt013 posted:

How's Skye? How's Skye?

THAT'S NOT HER NAME!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Burning_Monk posted:

The actors himself believes Ward didn't kill the dog.

Ward didn't do it. Other-Ward did it.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Azhais posted:

Ward didn't do it. Other-Ward did it.

:doh:

Not a problem for... Double-Agent Man!

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

BlueBayou posted:

I don't know what he did. I just won't believe he killed them until I see it.

Just like Davos wasn't actually dead in AFFC. Or how we never actually see the Hound die....

If you don't see it on screen, take it with a grain of salt

Am I reading this incorrectly or did you just stick unmarked Game of Thrones spoilers for no loving reason into your post in the Agents of SHIELD thread?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Toplowtech posted:

Another thing: i don't get why he is working as a doctor despite clearly hating his clients to the point he don't mind killing them. At first, i thought it was him just being amoral but now we know his background if you add the fact his wife got some organs stolen and he seems angry skye don't understand the situation and thinks he is a monster, i think it's possible his violent behavior is a mean to an end, not just blind violence. It looks to me he became crazy because of what he need to do instead of doing what he does because he is crazy.

What better way to get revenge on the man who vivisected your wife than to learn how to doctor, and vivisect him?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Yeah and Chloe thinks Ward and Skye should be together, but they're just actors.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

greatn posted:

Yeah and Chloe thinks Ward and Skye should be together, but they're just actors.

If you have someone from the show backing up your claim, lets see it. Until then, this is the information we have.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
It's entirely possible it will turn out Ward broke Chrisitan and big brudder did do the murder/suicide thing, Ward used it to get back into Hydra. It's likely that's what Ward will eventually say he did.

Doesnt matter either way, Crazy Ward is best Ward

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

This thread is so stupid with theories. Jesus, I love every second of it. So Ward might not have killed his brother and parents, but just so happened to accidentally coax out a suitable confession from his brother that could be left at the scene to give a misleading context. Nope, he totally tricked that out of his brother but then came clean to him off-screen about ruining his reputation with a loving murder-suicide conspiracy before whisking all three of them into hiding so that he could infiltrate Hydra. :downs:

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Stayne Falls posted:

Am I reading this incorrectly or did you just stick unmarked Game of Thrones spoilers for no loving reason into your post in the Agents of SHIELD thread?

Books have been out for YEARS, but point taken. post edited

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I'll be surprised if the murder/suicide turns out to be a generic revenge killing rather than part of a long con on SOMEBODY. Doesn't mean Ward didn't enjoy it, though.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Burning_Monk posted:

If you have someone from the show backing up your claim, lets see it. Until then, this is the information we have.

He also said that killing the dog would mean there could be no redemption. At this point, he's killed at least 10 SHIELD agents, 4 FBI mooks, 3 Hydra goons, 1 Koenig, 3/5 of his own family , and 1/4 of Fitz's brain. It makes no loving difference if he killed the dog or not. There's not going to be any real redemption for Ward at this point. The writers are all but beating you in the head with it. I mean, Ward can believe in his own redemption, but he's psychotic. That seems to be the point, which is great, since it makes him an interesting character.

Javid posted:

I'll be surprised if the murder/suicide turns out to be a generic revenge killing rather than part of a long con on SOMEBODY. Doesn't mean Ward didn't enjoy it, though.

I don't know, he's loving obsessed with his family, Christian in particular. It was a pretty creepy way to lead his brother to his death, looking back on it, but it fits with crazy Ward. If it wasn't for Garrett, he probably would have tried to kill them again once he was released from juvie.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

There was no dog. Garret actually gave him a plush toy dog the whole time.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I really thought Ward was going to throw Christian in the well anyway and leave him to die

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

LongDarkNight posted:

To establish how much a villian Garrett was? Killing the dog for no reason is pretty low. I'll have to watch that scene again tonight; like I said I may have misunderstood it.

You did. But don't worry you're not alone. For some reason. The visual cues were pretty clear but a lot of people missed it. For future reference, when you show a closeup of a character's face then flashback to a POV shot, then come right back to their face you're seeing their memory. Not the memory of someone else that wasn't even in the scene. I'm not sure where you and a handful of others got the Garrett thing from. Wishful thinking maybe? I dunno. But it was in no way shape or form Garrett.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Deadpool posted:

You did. But don't worry you're not alone. For some reason. The visual cues were pretty clear but a lot of people missed it. For future reference, when you show a closeup of a character's face then flashback to a POV shot, then come right back to their face you're seeing their memory. Not the memory of someone else that wasn't even in the scene. I'm not sure where you and a handful of others got the Garrett thing from. Wishful thinking maybe? I dunno. But it was in no way shape or form Garrett.

The editing is poor and ambiguous. But that scene in no way makes the flashback->POV as clear as you say. It could very easily be Garrett, for one simple reason, because Ward didn't have a rifle when he let the dog go. And then there is all the other stuff that's been mentioned already.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Burning_Monk posted:

The editing is poor and ambiguous. But that scene in no way makes the flashback->POV as clear as you say. It could very easily be Garrett, for one simple reason, because Ward didn't have a rifle when he let the dog go. And then there is all the other stuff that's been mentioned already.

Go watch the scene again. It's very clear. It's a closeup of Ward in thought, then the rifle scope, then right back to his had releasing Fitz and Simmons that coincides with where the sound of the shot to the dog would be. It's actually very well edited and couldn't be more clear while keeping whether he pulled the trigger or not ambiguous.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Deadpool posted:

Go watch the scene again. It's very clear. It's a closeup of Ward in thought, then the rifle scope, then right back to his had releasing Fitz and Simmons that coincides with where the sound of the shot to the dog would be. It's actually very well edited and couldn't be more clear while keeping whether he pulled the trigger or not ambiguous.

It's really not clear, which is why we have been discussion this one scene for months. It follows Garrett's speech too asking him if this is "another weakness", like something Garrett will have to finish again.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Burning_Monk posted:

It's really not clear, which is why we have been discussion this one scene for months. It follows Garrett's speech too asking him if this is "another weakness", like something Garrett will have to finish again.

No again it is clear. In the previous scene Ward has the rifle and says "The dog takes off running every time I take a shot out here" which set up him firing a shot to make the dog run off. Garrett leaves Ward and does not take the rifle with him. It fits in perfectly with the visual editing of him not having the heart finish off Fitz and Simmons face to face, just like he couldn't with the dog in the same scene that's alternating through this part. I'm sorry you don't think that's clear, but it is.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

The MSJ posted:

Garret actually gave him was a plush toy dog the whole time.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Burning_Monk posted:

I took that to mean it was Garrett telling him to overcome this weakness the way he overcame the last one.

In other words, "Suck it up, Buttercup."

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh god my PTSD. Someone trigger warning this page :gonk:

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Deadpool posted:

No again it is clear. In the previous scene Ward has the rifle and says "The dog takes off running every time I take a shot out here" which set up him firing a shot to make the dog run off. Garrett leaves Ward and does not take the rifle with him. It fits in perfectly with the visual editing of him not having the heart finish off Fitz and Simmons face to face, just like he couldn't with the dog in the same scene that's alternating through this part. I'm sorry you don't think that's clear, but it is.

Again, the actor who was in the scene said it wasn't. You can try to argue about how it fits into your preconceived ideas, but that scene says something else. It makes sense to me, it was Garrett who shot the dog.

Anyway, we are just retreading the same old arguments so, you can have the final word. I'm not arguing this again.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Deadpool posted:

What isn't clear is whether he actually hit it or let it get away. Which is why the actor who played the character in the scene said it is open for interpretation. Because if you feel he didn't kill it, you think there is some humanity left still in him, if you think he killed it, you feel that he may beyond redemption. The scene felt sloppy when it aired, but ultimately leaving something like that open over a long period of time is pretty decent story telling.

Some people (maybe not on this forum obviously, but in the other 99.9% of the audience) might actually be pulling for Ward to turn things around. So for them it is good to have the possibility that he let the dog go and pretended to kill it, which is why there was no confirmation from anyone that he shot and killed it at any point so far.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Burning_Monk posted:

Again, the actor who was in the scene said it wasn't. You can try to argue about how it fits into your preconceived ideas, but that scene says something else. It makes sense to me, it was Garrett who shot the dog.

Anyway, we are just retreading the same old arguments so, you can have the final word. I'm not arguing this again.

The only thing the actor said is that he didn't believe that Ward killed the dog. Which was the entire point of leaving the scene ambiguous and it being from Ward's perspective. If it was supposed to be Garrett behind the scope there's no ambiguity at all.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

AbsolutelySane posted:

He also said that killing the dog would mean there could be no redemption. At this point, he's killed at least 10 SHIELD agents, 4 FBI mooks, 3 Hydra goons, 1 Koenig, 3/5 of his own family , and 1/4 of Fitz's brain. It makes no loving difference if he killed the dog or not. There's not going to be any real redemption for Ward at this point. The writers are all but beating you in the head with it. I mean, Ward can believe in his own redemption, but he's psychotic. That seems to be the point, which is great, since it makes him an interesting character.

I don't know, he's loving obsessed with his family, Christian in particular. It was a pretty creepy way to lead his brother to his death, looking back on it, but it fits with crazy Ward. If it wasn't for Garrett, he probably would have tried to kill them again once he was released from juvie.

Dog stuff aside, if anyone can do a redemption arc it's probably Whedon (and his writing team). How many people did Spike kill on Buffy only to be the savior of the world at the end? Angel was in the same boat, evil/good/evil/good though his was usually caused by a macguffin. They even had an ancient demi-god bent on subjugating humanity they later called a smurf after she learned to love. I'm not saying they will do that with him, and I'm like many who like the Psycho Ward, but if anyone could it's probably this writing team.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
Oh my god not the dog stuff again.

Please acquit this line of discussion.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Buddy burned down the house to ingratiate himself with Hydra.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

But do you guys think Ward and May banged?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Ward doesn't know the diamond cutter; it's too powerful.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

He nailed her.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Yeah, but did Ward kill anyone when he fired that gun while escaping, or was it, like, a warning shot? Maybe he just winged the guy!

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Kheldarn posted:

What better way to get revenge on the man who vivisected your wife than to learn how to doctor, and vivisect him?

Wow. That's... that's some serious long-term planning. I guess when you're immortal you've got the time, but that makes the crazy kind of Wardsense I'd expect from Mua'Dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Barry Convex posted:

Setting aside for the moment the question of what Feige et al. would or wouldn't allow (and no, not changing my mind): have there been any good Inhumans stories that didn't center around the Royal Family characters?

The current series Inhuman is only half about the royal family and even that half is primarily about Medusa while Black Bolt is on the sidelines. Otherwise, it's about a bunch of down-to-earth people who just got turned into Inhumans and how they react to that. It's basically trying to be X-Men now, but that's still a good thing because for once the whole Inhumans concept is relatable. The series has been pretty good despite the initial delays, but especially in the latest few issues where they introduced a hard-boiled, middle-aged police detective who suddenly became an Inhuman, split with his wife because his glowing eyes are too freaky for her, and moved to Attilan to become a detective there. And he HATES how they call him by a codename instead of just Frank McGee.

• Locked thread