Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

30hz
Nov 3, 2014

Huxley posted:

It's a little unexpected. It's a very standard portrait, his posture, the positioning, the cropping, the exposure. Everything about it is handled like I would expect there to be a smile there, except there is a weird robot face.

Or from the other direction, welder pics usually focus on the grit of the job, the sparks, the mask turned up, sweat pouring, big man hard at work style. But he's all clean, the background doesn't give much away on location. You're used to this kind of picture screaming "HARD WORK" at you, but this says more like, "Daft Punk Laundry Day."

It may not be award-winning cover of your portfolio work or anything, but I appreciate it for what it is (to me), sort of a little punchline in a photo.

thanks, definitely appreciate the comments.

here is a related "cutting" pic since you had mentioned welding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.

That rocks

30hz
Nov 3, 2014

deaders posted:

That rocks

thanks. everytime I look at that picture, I laugh my rear end off. probably because, the I know the person is a clown in real life. might could also be that it's just a ridiculous portrait. I dunno. I appreciate the praise though. :respek:

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Wish he was wearing a more interesting shirt.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Wish he was wearing a more interesting shirt.

a wolf shirt perhaps?

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The plain shirt does a nice texture contrast with the shiny metal sides of the mask

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

30hz posted:

thanks, definitely appreciate the comments.

here is a related "cutting" pic since you had mentioned welding

This is good but could probably do with some cropping / re-framing etc - I know what the subject of the picture is, but the thing that I keep looking at is the two clamps in the foreground. They do look really goddamn nice, but I barely even notice the dude's face.

e: Maybe it's because his clothes blend into the background a bit?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

I'm a little in love with her.

30hz
Nov 3, 2014

SoundMonkey posted:

This is good but could probably do with some cropping / re-framing etc - I know what the subject of the picture is, but the thing that I keep looking at is the two clamps in the foreground. They do look really goddamn nice, but I barely even notice the dude's face.

e: Maybe it's because his clothes blend into the background a bit?

good feedback, but I left it as is since it contains more sentiment to the subjects than technicality. this photo was also when I was learning on how to process color to b&w, digitally, so I keep it as a reminder of my progression.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
One more from the ghost town.

Naamah
by SPV Photo, on Flickr

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
The contrast does a great job of conveying the setting of this photo but the composition of the model is a bit haphazard. There are very few "rules" I would quote at people but honestly not placing the edge of a frame through a model's joint is one of them. The extremely prominent cutting off of her arm at the wrist in the foreground is off putting and doesn't jive with the rest of the photo or your over all body of work. Edges and corners, get better at paying attention what's in them.

Duckjob
Aug 22, 2003
Pack 'n Save has everyday low prices
Shot some staff photos at work today with my ghetto rigged two speedlight setup

1DX_0552 by capacity4action, on Flickr

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Duckjob posted:

Shot some staff photos at work today with my ghetto rigged two speedlight setup

the giant shadow on the right side of her face makes her look deformed.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
Yeah about a stop of fill on the shadow side would return some of the symmetry to her face. It just looks jarring to have a straight on pose like that and the lighting be so asymmetrical. You could uncrush the blacks a bit in post and probably accomplish the same thing, not sure how in love you are with that VSCO look. I have the same problem when I run something through the Portra 400VC filter in LR, I have to either light with it in mind or mess with the shadows/black slider.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

2014-656 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

widunder
May 2, 2002

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Too bad about the hand in that top one.

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Alexi Laiho, backstage, 2010

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Ric posted:

hi alexi

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

Ric posted:

The most metal beer to put on your rider is the one that's guaranteed to be skunked.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Jocelyn by alkanphel, on Flickr

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

voodoorootbeer posted:

The most metal beer to put on your rider is the one that's guaranteed to be skunked.

It's Corona, how can you tell the difference?:v:

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

the lighting looks really direct. what did you use and how far away was the light? It's not that flattering.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Pukestain Pal posted:

the lighting looks really direct. what did you use and how far away was the light? It's not that flattering.

I don't actually remember though, because I shot it like half a year ago. Might have been a scrimmed reflector maybe 2m away.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

Pukestain Pal posted:

What are you talking about? It could easily be Renaissance style window light.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

voodoorootbeer posted:

Jesus christ don't get me started on riders. There's one band (not a good band, not a famous band, in fact I can't even remember their name) who have a shitload of whiskey on their rider but we had to eventually start telling them we were only gonna give them the big bottle after the show was over, and they'd just get a handle of the cheap stuff pre-show.

Well, then a year later we just told them to gently caress off and buy their own booze, and they didn't complain.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

SoundMonkey posted:

Jesus christ don't get me started on riders. There's one band (not a good band, not a famous band, in fact I can't even remember their name) who have a shitload of whiskey on their rider but we had to eventually start telling them we were only gonna give them the big bottle after the show was over, and they'd just get a handle of the cheap stuff pre-show.

Well, then a year later we just told them to gently caress off and buy their own booze, and they didn't complain.
My favourite rider was Bloodhound Gang, who asked for a monkey. The venue did their best, renting a monkey skeleton from a prop house.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I don't even think that most bands understand the point of putting eccentric poo poo into riders other than dick waving their celebrity status.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Verman posted:

I don't even think that most bands understand the point of putting eccentric poo poo into riders other than dick waving their celebrity status.

I'm sure they are also capable of reading cracked.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Verman posted:

They also frequently don't realize that people are just going to ignore all their dumb diva poo poo, which they'll just accept and not talk about it, because they're not gonna forfeit the take from a show over how much whiskey is in the dressing room.

At least not anymore, maybe back in the day, but most bands have been humbled pretty good. Probably because unless you're the biggest rock star in the world, there's more than enough on the other end of the contract to dick you out of getting paid for performing if you decide to get in a pissing match with the venue.

"The booze in the dressing room wasn't in an ice bucket as specified in the contract? Well, your 43-minute first set wasn't 45 minutes as specified in the contract either."

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I remember hearing the really huge bands do it as a way of making sure everything gets done properly at their gigs, like so they don't get killed by a falling light rig or whatever.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Spedman posted:

I remember hearing the really huge bands do it as a way of making sure everything gets done properly at their gigs, like so they don't get killed by a falling light rig or whatever.

Yeah that's what I was referring to as well like if you see a bowl of yellow m&ms you know that they actually read the thing versus skimming it and missing something important like electrical bullshit. Not actually about diva poo poo at all

Was it a "this american life" story and wasn't the band van Halen?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Verman posted:

Yeah that's what I was referring to as well like if you see a bowl of yellow m&ms you know that they actually read the thing versus skimming it and missing something important like electrical bullshit. Not actually about diva poo poo at all

Yep thats where I heard it, I remember as it was not long after I started listening in 2011 sometime.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Verman posted:

I just read about this very thing in the Think like a Freak book. They trashed the dressing rooms which didn't read the entire thing because they actually spent a lot of effort to calculate the safety parameters of their gigs.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
If only there was a middle ground, like "Hey, we read your rider and saw that thing about needing xyz electrical things for your lights. That's taken care of. We also saw that you wanted us to spend hours sorting candy, and we're not going to do that because that's insane."

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

dakana posted:

If only there was a middle ground, like "Hey, we read your rider and saw that thing about needing xyz electrical things for your lights. That's taken care of. We also saw that you wanted us to spend hours sorting candy, and we're not going to do that because that's insane."

This is literally my job.

Well, at least, my job is to tell management what the artist is and isn't getting, and it's their job to dry the big rock star's inevitable tears with the finest silk or something.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

SoundMonkey posted:

This is literally my job.

Well, at least, my job is to tell management what the artist is and isn't getting, and it's their job to dry the big rock star's inevitable tears with the finest silk or something.

Stage crew:
"Tell those shitcock fuckweeds that the day I sort out M&Ms or what the gently caress ever into color coded bowls, is the day I brush my teeth with a 12 gauge. If they bitch please advise them I can and will make their vocals sound like they have been detesticled at random intervals during the show. Now if you will excuse me I have to go regel all the lights to make it look their livers have swollen to the size of Jupiter in the promo pics."

Manager Translation:
"The stage crew is working really hard to make sure everything goes off without a hitch tonight. As consummate professionals I have the utmost faith in them, but sadly there is not enough time to facilitate your request that we fill a bathtub with unwrapped watermelon Jolly Ranchers. I do apologize for this inconvenience."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

8th-snype posted:

Stage crew:
"Tell those shitcock fuckweeds that the day I sort out M&Ms or what the gently caress ever into color coded bowls, is the day I brush my teeth with a 12 gauge. If they bitch please advise them I can and will make their vocals sound like they have been detesticled at random intervals during the show. Now if you will excuse me I have to go regel all the lights to make it look their livers have swollen to the size of Jupiter in the promo pics."

Manager Translation:
"The stage crew is working really hard to make sure everything goes off without a hitch tonight. As consummate professionals I have the utmost faith in them, but sadly there is not enough time to facilitate your request that we fill a bathtub with unwrapped watermelon Jolly Ranchers. I do apologize for this inconvenience."

...you have no idea how eerily close that is to the truth.

I did once threaten to use the reverb unit to put them in an airplane washroom, they didn't believe me until I showed them the "Airplane Restroom" preset on the effects unit.