Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Goodreader can also download Youtube videos. Just get Goodreader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

I'll go ahead and apologize for the derail now. We have a new contender in the weather widget game. BeWeather. Lots and lots of info in the widget. Uses Weather Underground data.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
It's really fast for moving a bunch of (PDF) documents from Dropbox (or similar) to device storage. Annotation/bookmarking is also big. It can also save YouTube videos to storage!

E: beaten hard on the Youtube thing.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

Bananalogue posted:

Wait what?

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

I too would like to know how to do this.

CygnusTM posted:

I'll go ahead and apologize for the derail now. We have a new contender in the weather widget game. BeWeather. Lots and lots of info in the widget. Uses Weather Underground data.

I like the looks of the weather widget. Some might consider it busy, and they'd have an argument, but there's something to be said about getting all that weather info right from the notification center without needing to load an app. gently caress yeah. WEATHER BABY! Oops, I mean WEATHER BEBE!

decypher fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Nov 20, 2014

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

decypher posted:

I too would like to know how to do this.

I like the looks of the weather widget. Some might consider it busy, and they'd have an argument, but there's something to be said about getting all that weather info right from the notification center without needing to load an app. gently caress yeah. WEATHER BABY!

It looks like you can customize the widget to have as little or much info as you want. Check the screenshots.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

CygnusTM posted:

Paging the guy with the baby in a spacesuit avatar.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Actually I wonder if this can be used for SoundCloud as well...

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The Amazon card now works with Apple Pay :dance:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Thirst Mutilator posted:

What do you guys use it for?

Offline viewing of reference materials that I keep in Dropbox.
Reading/annotating TONS of PDFs.
Downloading the odd audio file or video from a website that I want on my iPad.
Emailing exact copies of files on the go, instead of just a cloud link.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
I picked it up for five bucks a couple of weeks ago. Worth every penny. The amount of reading I've been able to get done has increased a shitload.

If the document has OCR, it can open up a different, more readable view. You can also crop documents within the app to get rid of all that white space. Annotating, all that stuff.

Very very handy if you do lots of PDF reading. My grad school reading has pretty much doubled in speed because I can read more places now. Reading in the crappy Adobe app was terrible but Goodreader is awesome.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

TheJoker138 posted:

The Amazon card now works with Apple Pay :dance:

It has for awhile.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
What's the difference between Goodreader and the visually superior Documents by readdle

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
GoodReader does more PDF stuff, a better comparison would be PDF Expert. If you just want some file management though Documents is fine.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

tuyop posted:

If you go with some of the players mentioned, or anything from this guide (I think AllCast is the app you want), you can just use Dropbox or Google Drive as your media server. Once your media is synced you'll be able to access it without your PC running. It's also possibly cheaper than Plex if you just buy the 1TB plan or whatever from Drive or Dropbox.

I think you're Massively underestimating the cost of 1TB of storage from either of those services.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

wooger posted:

I think you're Massively underestimating the cost of 1TB of storage from either of those services.

Google Drive is 10 bucks a month for 1TB. Plex is 4.99 a month (there's also a 40 dollar annual plan or 150 for "lifetime") plus whatever it costs to run a streaming server all the time if you want equivalent service.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Bananalogue posted:

You can download YouTube videos with any app with the ability to download files using this site:

http://en.savefrom.net

(I'm not affiliated with the site, I just find it useful as hell)

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
GET is sure a great upgrade over FREE, thanks Apple.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Blame Europe.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Blame Europe.

Why is that?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Dragonrah posted:

Why is that?

European Commission did not like that Free-To-Play games are marked as free because of the microtransactions associated after the fact.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-28363729

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

8-bit Miniboss posted:

European Commission did not like that Free-To-Play games are marked as free because of the microtransactions associated after the fact.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-28363729

I guess I can see that, but I've learned to look for IAP on "free" titles. Still I think it's funny that instead of fixing the problem they just change the wording.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I think GET is an ugly word. I'm very aspy about words and the way they look and sound, so I'm surprised Apple just said gently caress it and made it GET.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

OBTAIN

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

ACQUIRE

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

RECEIVE

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

I like this one as far as word-sound goes.

But outside of that, I don't know why it couldn't have just said DOWNLOAD like games you already own. There's no downside to getting something for free.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
DOWNLOAD is reserved for things you've already 'purchased.'

Get is fine and way better than Receive you goddamn sperg.

"Hey man did you get that new weather app?"

"Hey man did you receive that new weather app?"

Makes perfect sense when you look at it like that.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

Hey man did you free that new weather app? Before it was an adjective now it's a verb. But it's still an adjective for pay apps $0.99.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I get what you're saying. The whole thing is dumb. Free is still best tag for those because that spot has always been for the price. They felt they had to change and went with the best option.

What I really want to know is what the best FREE GET app is for 3 hour EDM mixes.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I use goodreader mostly to download youtubes and watch them when I don't have wifi. I also bought an album from bandcamp last week and they offered it up as a zip file, which goodreader can handle and then play the album as a nice stopgap until it can go into iTunes. I almost never use it for PDFs, but it's the filesystem that iOS is missing.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
code:
> GET APP

I don't see that here.

>

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
We've moved on to the age of post-structuralism now and words are just empty referents anyway, so who loving cares.

Go download Things on iPad and iPhone though; it's free this week and my favorite (aka the best) todo solution (Omnifocus is too complicated)

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Jose Oquendo posted:

That's what my second sentence addresses.

Also, the language used in the past tense shouldn't be used for a word that is being used to label the potential future. Duh. Receive is just a softer word than "Get". Get is harsh and too striking. Receive has a gentle bend at its end. It also implies that something is being given to you as opposed to something being taken.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
code:
> GET APP

You killed a little dwarf.

>

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Weather apps, bitch.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/weather-or-not-reports-forecasts/id933439687?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Sorry, not payin' 3 bone for Weather Underground w/ the "Frosted Glass" look

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Sorry, not payin' 3 bone for Weather Underground w/ the "Frosted Glass" look

I'd pay all my bones for Weather Underground with a frosted glass look.

But it's the Calendar integrated widget that will get most of my bones. It tells you the weather at the time of events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

noirstronaut posted:

I'd pay all my bones for Weather Underground with a frosted glass look.

But it's the Calendar integrated widget that will get most of my bones. It tells you the weather at the time of events.

Even without the calendar poo poo (which is nice) this is exactly what I've been looking for in a weather widget, so I'm sold.