Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

this made me laugh thank you for posting it.

Walla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

captainOrbital posted:

Hate parallel parking? Ride a motorcycle.

Wheeeeeeeeeehacks

You're doing a wonderful service donating your organs to medicine.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I was about to Share this, and then I realized the kind of people who would click on it were not the kind of people that would enjoy it most. :saddowns:

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

DemeaninDemon posted:

HATE your organs?

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

captainOrbital posted:

HATE your organs?

Local parent discovers on weird trick to provide fresh organs to people in need of transplants. Rabbis HATE him.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
That blog also has a feature where popular, existing lifehacks were tried.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

DemeaninDemon posted:

#LivingHack: Don't want doctors to murder you to take your sweet, sweet organs? Don't be a donor!

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

cobalt impurity posted:

I took driver's ed through a summer course my school district provided. It was two gym coaches teaching a class of 50-70 people over 2 weeks. They said day 1 they were going to teach parallel parking because it's not on the test for our state. I've been driving for like 12 years and I still don't know how to do it.

#lifehack: never park on the street, even if it means walking several blocks further, because you were never taught a basic driving skill.

I'm pushing 30 and I have not successfully parallel parked since somehow miraculously doing it on my driving test.

#lifehack just pay for valet. gently caress parallel parking forever.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Here's one I can get behind.

It's pretty awesome.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Noyemi K posted:

My favorite one of those is the bagel holder. How do you get meat, cheese, veggies and condiments to have nice, bagel shaped holes in them without realizing that a baggie or large tupperware container will be infinitely more useful and less toxic than poo poo-grade plastic spindles from 1995?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

booshi posted:

Oh wait I live in Mass no one here can drive for poo poo.

Given how obviously dangerous cars are, how many people are killed or injured by them all the time, it's crazy how cavalier we are about letting people drive them. The right of the individual to drive seems to supersede everyone else's right to be safe most of the time.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Tiggum posted:

Given how obviously dangerous cars are, how many people are killed or injured by them all the time, it's crazy how cavalier we are about letting people drive them. The right of the individual to drive seems to supersede everyone else's right to be safe most of the time.

Seriously I can't even count the number of times I've nearly been run over when crossing the street when it's a walk signal because assholes decide to turn down the street without making sure no one's there.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ChaosArgate posted:

Seriously I can't even count the number of times I've nearly been run over when crossing the street when it's a walk signal because assholes decide to turn down the street without making sure no one's there.

When I lived in Mass, I couldn't believe the number of times people ran out from behind vans into the street, playing some kind of real-life Frogger, because "I have the right of way, they'll stop!"

#Deathiscoming

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~
My entire family is from northshore Mass and I can confirm that they are all the biggest assholes on the road. On the plus side I learned that if you contest a ticket there's like a 20% chance of the officer showing up.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I don't know how to parallel park or reverse but I do it. Just look for a space on the street that's like 1.5 times as long as your car and you can do it. Angle your car at the curb, back up till you hit it, go forward a little less angled, repeat 1000 times till your car is parked right.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I look upon people who can reverse into spots in a parking lot as the Ancient Greeks looked upon the Olympian Gods. Also I parallel park all the time and lived in an urban apartment that only had street parking for over 2 years.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

cheerfullydrab posted:

I look upon people who can reverse into spots in a parking lot as the Ancient Greeks looked upon the Olympian Gods.

kinda dumb perverts but we're stuck with them?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Every time I parallel park, it feels like I'm nailing a lady while disguised as a swan.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

davidspackage posted:

Every time I parallel park, it feels like I'm nailing a lady while disguised as a swan.

For me its the other way around.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Shai-Hulud posted:

For me its the other way around.

How do you get that close to the swans?

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

I lived in three other states before I moved to Mass, and it's like people here learned an entirely different set of road rules than the rest of the country. It's like bizarro driving.

Arrest that ass!
Sep 1, 2006

my deadlift personal record
I heard driving in the US is so bad because it's full of HFCS.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Arrest that rear end! posted:

I heard driving in the US is so bad because it's full of HFCS.

Anyone who says Americans are bad drivers has never been to France or Italy.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Vindolanda posted:

kinda dumb perverts but we're stuck with them?

Lmao. Seriously, why the gently caress do people reverse into spots in car parks? It makes it harder to put stuff in the trunk if you're going shopping and it can't really be worth the effort just to be able to drive nose-first out of the spot. There's one car park in the city I use sometimes and literally every car in the lot will be reverse-parked, it's some eerie Children of the Corn poo poo driving through that lot.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?

cyberia posted:

Lmao. Seriously, why the gently caress do people reverse into spots in car parks? It makes it harder to put stuff in the trunk if you're going shopping and it can't really be worth the effort just to be able to drive nose-first out of the spot. There's one car park in the city I use sometimes and literally every car in the lot will be reverse-parked, it's some eerie Children of the Corn poo poo driving through that lot.

But if you reverse in, it'll be quicker to get out in the case of WAR. :ohdear:

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

-Anders posted:

But if you reverse in, it'll be quicker to get out in the case of WAR. :ohdear:

I'll do it sometimes if I'm parking at a big event where I know the traffic will be bad afterward -- so basically yeah, WAR. Backing out into heavy traffic with people trying to cut you off is more effort than backing into the space when there's no one around.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
If you drive a small car, and the only spots left are between large trucks or SUVs, then it's safer to back in, because then you don't have to back out into the traffic.

Backing in also makes it easier to be perfectly lined up in the spot, whereas with pulling in forward, there's a good chance you'll end up too close to the car next to you.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/quora/why-do-people-back-up-int_b_3194602.html

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

cyberia posted:

If you do any work with big oilfield companies, reverse-parking is mandatory. They will come get you out of a meeting to park you car correctly if you don't. Something about safety/insurance.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

cyberia posted:

It's easier to look both ways and avoid poo poo when looking out the windshield than out the back window.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Inco posted:

It's easier to look both ways and avoid poo poo when looking out the windshield than out the back window.

FTFY. Parking in reverse is way easier than parking forwards, because the car turns much more sharply when it pivots around the rear wheel on one side than when the whole front end swings round. And similarly, driving OUT of the space again is a hell of a lot easier than backing out.

Lifehax: reverse park, it's easier. Of course, it helps when the rear doors of the car are sliding ones...

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Noyemi K posted:

That's like the platonic ideal of this thread.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

When you're backing out of spots in a parking lot, just back out. You probably can't see if anyone's coming anyway. Nobody should be driving too fast in a parking lot that they can't stop in time to avoid hitting you. If they do, it's their fault. Legally.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

cheerfullydrab posted:

When you're backing out of spots in a parking lot, just back out. You probably can't see if anyone's coming anyway. Nobody should be driving too fast in a parking lot that they can't stop in time to avoid hitting you. If they do, it's their fault. Legally.

No it isn't. Legally. (I remember a goon being ruled at-fault in an accident where he was almost out of a space when a car hit him. At least in their state, even though courtesy says to continue backing out if already halfway out of your space, the law said they failed to yield to traffic).

Besides, you can see very well when exiting a space that you've backed into. Try it sometime.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I never learned how to reverse properly.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

cheerfullydrab posted:

In the UK at least the onus is on the reversing driver to ensure it is safe to do so. Best you'd get if you have a bump is a 50:50 claim.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

#lifehack: go to the movies during the morning/afternoon. The prices are cheaper and there's less people.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

cheerfullydrab posted:

I never learned how to reverse properly.

Go practice in an empty parking lot? Its really easy.

On topic:
#Lifehack: look over your shoulder when backing up instead of using your mirrors.
How you've been driving wrong the whole time!
How to back into a space using one simple trick. Body shops hate her!

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

monkeytennis posted:

In the UK at least the onus is on the reversing driver to ensure it is safe to do so. Best you'd get if you have a bump is a 50:50 claim.

In most American states, you are automatically at fault if your car is in reverse during an accident.

Lifehack: Get out of accidents fault-free by making sure the other guy's car is set to reverse!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
While we're on driving, most people are ignorant to how their side-mirrors should be angled. If done right, you typically have no/very little blind-spot:

http://www.cartalk.com/sites/default/files/features/mirrors/CarTalkMirrors.pdf

Most people align them so half of what the side mirror sees is already covered by their rear-view, so there is a large blind-spot as a car moves along side them before they are visible in the window (especially on the drive'rs side, like being overtaken on the highway.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

DrBouvenstein posted:

While we're on driving, most people are ignorant to how their side-mirrors should be angled. If done right, you typically have no/very little blind-spot:

http://www.cartalk.com/sites/default/files/features/mirrors/CarTalkMirrors.pdf

Most people align them so half of what the side mirror sees is already covered by their rear-view, so there is a large blind-spot as a car moves along side them before they are visible in the window (especially on the drive'rs side, like being overtaken on the highway.)

Yep, my boyfriend adjusted my mirrors like this not long ago. It was definitely weird, but he's super into cars and I trust his judgment. It took some getting used to, but I truly have no blind spot now. Of course, I drive a teensy e30, so I didn't have much of one to begin with. That said, mirror adjustments are an art, and once you get it down you'll wonder how you managed to drive so blind for so long.