Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Random Hajile posted:

It's probably on level 1. I hate when the game tosses up "lol if you can't fly" opportunities before you have a chance to get the tools to exploit them.

That goes for if you have to fight Gluttony with the little island room layout on the first floor, too. You end up wasting time plinking away at the fucker with barely any damage at that point, and since you probably have no way of getting to the little island, you get nothing to show for it.

Yep, floor 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
Somehow my first successful hard mode run is with Eden and I killed the Lamb. I don't know either my starting build was Kamikaze and Match Book.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Random Hajile posted:

It's probably on level 1. I hate when the game tosses up "lol if you can't fly" opportunities before you have a chance to get the tools to exploit them.

That goes for if you have to fight Gluttony with the little island room layout on the first floor, too. You end up wasting time plinking away at the fucker with barely any damage at that point, and since you probably have no way of getting to the little island, you get nothing to show for it.

I'm pretty sure those only show up on Floor 1/2. Basically, "Here's an item you can only get if your Azazel or The Lost" except they never seem to show up when I'm using them. :argh:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There are plenty of ways to get flying on floor one (buying Hanged Man or Bible from the shop, finding Lord of the Pit or Spirit of the Night in the Curse Room/devil teleport, finding stuff like Ascendance or Shears in the item room, being Azazel or The Lost), and frankly The Lost can do with a little boost. I think jumping might also work on that layout, although I've never tried it.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Is there any way to tell if you picked the Polaroid or the Negative? I put down the game after entering the Womb and I'm not entirely sure which I picked.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Genocyber posted:

Is there any way to tell if you picked the Polaroid or the Negative? I put down the game after entering the Womb and I'm not entirely sure which I picked.

The polaroid is white with a black square, negative is black with a white square.

E: On the pause screen.

Waffle! fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Nov 21, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It'll show with the rest of the items you picked up on the pause screen.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Irony Be My Shield posted:

There are plenty of ways to get flying on floor one (buying Hanged Man or Bible from the shop, finding Lord of the Pit or Spirit of the Night in the Curse Room/devil teleport, finding stuff like Ascendance or Shears in the item room, being Azazel or The Lost), and frankly The Lost can do with a little boost. I think jumping might also work on that layout, although I've never tried it.

Maybe it's just because I play on hard mostly lately but the times that I have a spare key and money to actually buy one of these things are even rarer than finding this room. I mean it is possible but in my experience it's extremely unlikely.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Dackel posted:

And you only need those 3 items for one single moment to become Guppy, you don't need to keep them

Specifically, you only need to have had those three items for one single moment each to become Guppy. You can have the Paw, trade it for something else, trade that something else for the Head, trade the Head for something else, and then later pick up a third Guppy item and you'll be Guppy.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
So after not learning my lesson on dice rooms, I rerolled another game winning build. This time I got a slightly better outcome... I'm not even sure what all the items were but the key ones seemed to be piercing shots, bobs brain and sad bombs. Before I got the straight worm my range was just less than two squared which meant i blew myself up a few times with the brain but this is the most broken build i've had so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M1wp-1RtBY

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.
Daddy Longlegs + Gnawed Leaf + We Need To Go Deeper! = guess who just cheesed Satan by digging the whole way down then just standing in the corner?

God some things are broken.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
Guppy is still great.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

TheModernAmerican posted:

Somehow my first successful hard mode run is with Eden and I killed the Lamb. I don't know either my starting build was Kamikaze and Match Book.

I actually kind of like the Kamikaze item in this game, since it only takes half a heart to use. Early on, red hearts are common while bombs are not and getting all the tinted rocks and secret rooms on the first two floors can make a big difference in the long run.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
When my first treasure room is Kamikaze, I immediately hit the R key. I could tough it out and see if my next three items are Polyphemus, Brimstone and Ludovico Technique, but why do then when I can have an actual fun item in the next 10 seconds

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Just beat my first Hard mode run, and with my weakest game-winning build so far. I've gotten better at not blowing myself up with Bob's Brain and it was actually useful this time, but the level I spent with that, Daddy Longlegs (before I realized it couldn't hurt me too), and Mom's Toenail was loving harrowing.

Also this was pretty fun.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

RatHat posted:

They can be used if you have a teleport pill/card as well since you aren't damaged by entering them if you have flying.

That's true, also a broken horn or something to that effect. Basically you need some help to get out of there without dying.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I just checked and my losing streak is actually only at -260. I thought it was more than that. Anyway, some things I remember off the top of my head:

- Holy Mantle acquired 4 times, once via the D4. One of those ended by being blindsided by Krampus and then a red fire and the rest suffered from low damage later in the run.
- Brimstone has shown up exactly once, and it was like the fourth run I did with The Lost.
- Dead Cat has shown up twice. Both runs died to The Fallen in Depths 1 because I was too slow to outrun the charge and too weak to destroy it fast.
- Gnawed Leaf has shown up zero times. Neither has Tiny Planet (although that wouldn't be helpful, I just think it's a neat item).
- Epic Fetus has shown up twice, in consecutive runs if I am remembering right.
- Undefined has shown up a few times, and once it took me to the I Am Error room either three or four times in a row, letting me get down to Depths 2.

I'm starting to lose heart with these The Lost runs. I thought I was better at this game than this, but the early floors are so mind-numbingly awful with him and when I get later in the run every room is nerve-wracking. I think I might go to Plan B and work on other achievements while also finishing up the donation machine so I can hope to luck into the Stopwatch with The Lost or something.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I just checked and my losing streak is actually only at -260. I thought it was more than that. Anyway, some things I remember off the top of my head:

- Holy Mantle acquired 4 times, once via the D4. One of those ended by being blindsided by Krampus and then a red fire and the rest suffered from low damage later in the run.
- Brimstone has shown up exactly once, and it was like the fourth run I did with The Lost.
- Dead Cat has shown up twice. Both runs died to The Fallen in Depths 1 because I was too slow to outrun the charge and too weak to destroy it fast.
- Gnawed Leaf has shown up zero times. Neither has Tiny Planet (although that wouldn't be helpful, I just think it's a neat item).
- Undefined has shown up a few times, and once it took me to the I Am Error room either three or four times in a row, letting me get down to Depths 2.

I'm starting to lose heart with these The Lost runs. I thought I was better at this game than this, but the early floors are so mind-numbingly awful with him and when I get later in the run every room is nerve-wracking. I think I might go to Plan B and work on other achievements while also finishing up the donation machine so I can hope to luck into the Stopwatch with The Lost or something.

That's why I have two restart points. Point #1 is lovely first item room, point #2 is if I don't feel adequately strong enough after the first devil deal room. There's some exceptions and funny enough one of those exceptions is where I actually won on the chest with him, got nine lives so I kept going even though I wasn't strong.

But in my mind there's no point in grinding out Lost runs. You will either be super strong and have a chance, or not be strong enough and guaranteed to lose. If you're having a low damage run I say it's best to just restart. Cause even if you're good enough to get through some of it, you WILL get hit on the later floors unless you're absolutely amazing at dodging.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Eh...I finally found out what Mom's Knife and Ludivico does together, and it's not that great. It's still strong, but I'd rather have Brimstone or Technology any day. :(

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah the hitbox is pretty small on Mom's knife when you combine it with Ludovico. It looks really funny though.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I'm just hoping there's gonna be another invincibility bug, I wish I'd been paying attention when the cat thing was still in. :mad:

otherwise i am literally never unlocking stuff for the lost. i got to the depths three times and died to random poo poo that should never kill you so i've kind of lost heart with trying

edit: i wouldn't be nearly as bothered if they hadn't gated two incredibly cool items behind him

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
So does Polycephalus behave really really strangely when you have flight? I was on Azazel and when it showed up in the womb it would just not pop back up for minutes and then come up right on top of me. It knocked out so much of my health I ended up losing a Lamb run.

Good news, I've beaten the Lamb 3 times today on 3 different characters. Good thing I'll never actually see what I unlocked because I keep getting fed poo poo items forever. I beat the Lamb with Maggie with the only thing affecting my tears being number 1 and the pact, plus a few fire rate pills and the magician card. That fight took about 3-4 minutes and my hand hurt.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Cheekio posted:

Guppy is still great.

If you get Guppy mode and then Dr./Epic Fetus you become the cat in the hat. I mean sure, they override the mulligan effect but it's a small price to pay.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

So my internet is out, and I'm having a problem starting up Isaac in offline mode. I open the Steam shortcut for it, it tries to connect to the Steam network, then prompts me with the start in offline mode. I do that, then it just pops up another steam message that says it couldn't connect to the Stream network, go to blahblahblah.com for more information.

What the gently caress?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

HellCopter posted:

When my first treasure room is Kamikaze, I immediately hit the R key. I could tough it out and see if my next three items are Polyphemus, Brimstone and Ludovico Technique, but why do then when I can have an actual fun item in the next 10 seconds
Kamikaze is actually pretty fun though, you get basically free bombs for a while (which you can use either aggressively or re-actively during combat) and if you luck into Pyromaniac you're immortal. What's your definition of a "fun item", something that's sufficient to win the game with on its own?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Just a note: if you get homing tears with Ludovico, you just need to hit an enemy once and the tear will follow it round the room. The effect has limited range, though.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

The Lost is driving me insane. Every time I think I have a potential good run going the game decides to absolutely screw me. I've gotten Holy Mantle 1st treasure room 4 times, same as you, but in each case the game would only give me 1) only hp up items from bosses, 2) no damage up/tears up/ tear mods at all, 3) red chest only devil rooms and angel rooms with soul hearts, and worst of all 4) no key drops, on Normal for gently caress's sake. I honestly keep hoping for Gnawed Leaf + some kind of passive damage follower but I never see the drat thing.

I've managed to beat the Chest and Satan with the Lost too, but I'm beginning to lose hope that I'll ever do Boss Rush or the Lamb. I cant imagine doing this on hard :(

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I did the Lost achievements the last of all my poo poo. Stopwatch helps immensely (though you still have to be on your toes for a lot of bosses/enemies).

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Pretty good day. first Dark Room clear, and first Chest clear. The Chest run was amazing, because the synergy between rubber cement and coal is amazing, especially when you combine it with a tear multiplier like the mutant spider.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

zolthorg posted:

Isn't the only use item the really good 1heart = 2 soul hearts paw

e: Or are you referring to becoming guppy and then using a reroll room

There's also Guppy's head.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
I managed to luck out and enter a dice room on the Suicide King challenge and re-roll all of my poo poo so I basically wasn't playing the challenge anymore.

then the loving thing goes to the cathedral

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
I just learned about bombing the angel statues for unlocks (I think?), so I'm running Eden for funsies with my pile of tokens trying to even GET any. Just got one on Depths I, left the boss room to pick up a Sun card I was going to use the next floor, go back, and the Angel Room door is gone. Devil room doors literally have never disappeared for me so far in Rebirth, what the gently caress is the difference here? I'm so annoyed.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

There is no difference, devil doors can disappear as well. Go in the devil/angel room first if you plan on going in at all. Though for future reference, you only need to bomb two angel statues in one run for the item and a chance at the optional boss.

This also applies to the boss arena, since the door can shut on you if the timer for your run goes over 20 minutes while in Mom's boss room.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
If you've got the D6/D100/Perthro, you can kill the angel for his key piece to reroll and as long as you don't pick up both pieces he'll keep dropping them. Especially heinous when you start getting Lost unlocks.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

AnonSpore posted:

If you've got the D6/D100/Perthro, you can kill the angel for his key piece to reroll and as long as you don't pick up both pieces he'll keep dropping them. Especially heinous when you start getting Lost unlocks.

Why have I never thought of doing this on my Isaac runs?

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

AnonSpore posted:

I did the Lost achievements the last of all my poo poo. Stopwatch helps immensely (though you still have to be on your toes for a lot of bosses/enemies).

Good god, you must be infinitely better at this game than I am to have done all the Lost stuff with everything unlocked. I'm almost considering redoing my save just so that I could only unlock what is actually useful for him.

By the way, has anyone ever seen a Black Lotus? Apparently it is a very rare secret room pedestal item, but it was news to me that it even existed until I saw it on platinumgod.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

AnonSpore posted:

Jibo posted:

Why have I never thought of doing this on my Isaac runs?

Here's a better question: What's with the avatars?

Logan 5 posted:

Good god, you must be infinitely better at this game than I am to have done all the Lost stuff with everything unlocked. I'm almost considering redoing my save just so that I could only unlock what is actually useful for him.

By the way, has anyone ever seen a Black Lotus? Apparently it is a very rare secret room pedestal item, but it was news to me that it even existed until I saw it on platinumgod.

I saw one once, but I passed it up because I was playing as the Lost. I'm not sure if the special item thing still exists, and if it does what counts as a special item, so I passed it up. Someday.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Logan 5 posted:

Nah, just persistent.

Also yeah, I've seen black lotus a few times before. The rarest items for me have been transcendence (seen once) and skeleton key (also seen once). Oddly most of my secret room items tend to be either the Necronomicon, infamy, or pyromaniac. Also, secret room items are super rare in general, compared to the original. I'll get one maybe once every ten or so complete runs.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I made it to the Womb for the first time with the lost, gently caress that room where there's a brimstone spider right at the entrance, that stupid thing sniped me like .5 seconds into the room :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Logan 5 posted:

I've had several, they usually show up in the secret rooms for me. I think one showed up in an item room once but I'm not sure. It gives you one red heart, one soul heart, and one evil heart.