Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Gavok posted:

The current series Inhuman is only half about the royal family and even that half is primarily about Medusa while Black Bolt is on the sidelines. Otherwise, it's about a bunch of down-to-earth people who just got turned into Inhumans and how they react to that. It's basically trying to be X-Men now, but that's still a good thing because for once the whole Inhumans concept is relatable. The series has been pretty good despite the initial delays, but especially in the latest few issues where they introduced a hard-boiled, middle-aged police detective who suddenly became an Inhuman, split with his wife because his glowing eyes are too freaky for her, and moved to Attilan to become a detective there. And he HATES how they call him by a codename instead of just Frank McGee.

Gavok posted:

The current series Inhuman is only half about the royal family and even that half is primarily about Medusa while Black Bolt is on the sidelines. Otherwise, it's about a bunch of down-to-earth people who just got turned into Inhumans and how they react to that. It's basically trying to be X-Men now, but that's still a good thing because for once the whole Inhumans concept is relatable. The series has been pretty good despite the initial delays, but especially in the latest few issues where they introduced a hard-boiled, middle-aged police detective who suddenly became an Inhuman, split with his wife because his glowing eyes are too freaky for her, and moved to Attilan to become a detective there. And he HATES how they call him by a codename instead of just Frank McGee.

Gavok posted:

As I said in a post below the one you've quoted, what I've read of that, all the new characters are largely defined by their interactions with the classic ones. So not really a great example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
You guys know that anything an actor says is actually pretty irrelevant to the overall plot and what matters is what the writers say, right?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

He shot the loving dog, because until we have evidence otherwise, the logical progression of the story demands it. Who the gently caress cares what the actor says. There's a reason most actors become directors instead of writers.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Burning_Monk posted:

Dog stuff aside, if anyone can do a redemption arc it's probably Whedon (and his writing team). How many people did Spike kill on Buffy only to be the savior of the world at the end? Angel was in the same boat, evil/good/evil/good though his was usually caused by a macguffin. They even had an ancient demi-god bent on subjugating humanity they later called a smurf after she learned to love. I'm not saying they will do that with him, and I'm like many who like the Psycho Ward, but if anyone could it's probably this writing team.

Maybe Ward will get cursed by gypsies and get a soul.

I'd be okay with that.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

ashpanash posted:

He shot the loving dog, because until we have evidence otherwise, the logical progression of the story demands it. Who the gently caress cares what the actor says. There's a reason most actors become directors instead of writers.

The actress who plays Skye said that she still ships her and Ward.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

BlueBayou posted:

I'd be okay with that.

Or maybe he gets a soul on purpose to be worthy of Skye.

And then dies taking out hydra, only to be resurrected as some third rate comic character in a movie.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

bobkatt013 posted:

The actress who plays Skye said that she still ships her and Ward.

Of course. Actors and directors are all about performance, all about raw emotion. Writers are all about storytelling.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

BlueBayou posted:

I'd be okay with that.

But only if he loses it everytime he gets nailed by May.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Honestly I originally read it as Ward didn't shoot the dog, so he was killing FitzSimmons to prove to Garret that he'd overcome that weakness. But it was open to interpretation and the actor really doesn't have much more authority on the subject than any random viewer does.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008

cool kids inc. posted:

Or maybe he gets a soul on purpose to be worthy of Skye.

And then dies taking out hydra, only to be resurrected as some third rate comic character in a movie.

oh god... something like that totally could happen

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

Oracle posted:

Wow. That's... that's some serious long-term planning. I guess when you're immortal you've got the time, but that makes the crazy kind of Wardsense I'd expect from Mua'Dad.

We don't know if he is immortal. He never touched the Diviner. He has perhaps superstrengh but that could just be normal crazy strength.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

General Bort posted:

We don't know if he is immortal. He never touched the Diviner. He has perhaps superstrengh but that could just be normal crazy strength.

He has aged since 1989, his wife hadn't aged a day since WWII. He isn't immortal.

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

hollylolly posted:

He has aged since 1989, his wife hadn't aged a day since WWII. He isn't immortal.

oh right didn't notice that. On that note Whithalls Old Man Makeup was the worst part of this episode.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

General Bort posted:

oh right didn't notice that. On that note Whithalls Old Man Makeup was the worst part of this episode.

Yeah, he was remarkably tan for having rotted in jail for decades, and the hair work they did for his eyebrows/wig was terrible. Oh well.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

hollylolly posted:

Yeah, he was remarkably tan for having rotted in jail for decades, and the hair work they did for his eyebrows/wig was terrible. Oh well.

I thought he looked like Ted Danson. It made me laugh a little bit.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Surely he's touched the Diviner at some point. He had it in his possession for quite awhile. Maybe it just didn't make him immortal.

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

The Sharmat posted:

Surely he's touched the Diviner at some point. He had it in his possession for quite awhile. Maybe it just didn't make him immortal.

He got the Diviner in episode 2 from Raina. Before that it was in a SHIELD storage room since WII.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I didn't say he touched it before then.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

The Sharmat posted:

I didn't say he touched it before then.

Taking the chance that it wouldn't just kill him like it does 99% of the people who touch it? I doubt it.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

This show has gone off in so many different directions compared to what I was expecting. It's unbelievable how much better it's gotten since the first half of Season 1.

Ward's a total loving nutcase and I love it. He's some sort of hosed up, battered puppy. All he wants is Skye's love. And to show how much he cares, he's going to keep leaving dead/dying mice on her doorstep. While dealing with a few family issues. Seriously how hosed up is this guy?

And now we have literal nazis. Nazis so nazi-ish, BJ Blaskowicz wouldn't seem out of place murdering the gently caress out of them.

An then there is Mua'Dad. Who has quickly become my absolute favorite part of this season. He's capable of great violence, and is hellbent on revenge, and he knows a lot more than he's letting on. His anger at SHIELD seems to be solely due to the fact that they separated him from Skye. Something happened the night Hydra showed up at his village. He probably murdered a whole gently caress load of them then tried to chase them down or something, SHIELD shows up and finds a whole lot of corpses and a baby.

General Bort posted:

I'm voting for he has some kind of super-powers. The file on the event that happened at the village was super top secret right? Something happened there, something big, and it wasn't just a Hydra assault/abduction.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Deadpool posted:

You did. But don't worry you're not alone. For some reason. The visual cues were pretty clear but a lot of people missed it. For future reference, when you show a closeup of a character's face then flashback to a POV shot, then come right back to their face you're seeing their memory. Not the memory of someone else that wasn't even in the scene. I'm not sure where you and a handful of others got the Garrett thing from. Wishful thinking maybe? I dunno. But it was in no way shape or form Garrett.

Watched it again and man....I still don't know. Whether he shot the dog or not I hope we don't get a redemption arc for Ward. Being welcomed back by the team after all the poo poo he's done would feel so phony. At least with Buffy there was magic reasons.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Maybe the third Ward brother is a twin, and good, can replace him.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

The Sharmat posted:

Honestly I originally read it as Ward didn't shoot the dog, so he was killing FitzSimmons to prove to Garret that he'd overcome that weakness. But it was open to interpretation and the actor really doesn't have much more authority on the subject than any random viewer does.

The actor basically said that it was up to interpretation, and also gave his personal interpretation. People are trying to make it seem like he dropped some kind of controversial decree because the truth doesn't fit into their poor understanding of basic story telling and television writing. The concept of temporary ambiguity in story telling is apparently extremely upsetting to some people.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

hollylolly posted:

Taking the chance that it wouldn't just kill him like it does 99% of the people who touch it? I doubt it.

He seemed to know enough about it to know why it does or doesn't kill people.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

greatn posted:

The one who was pushed into a well and drowned?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Barry Convex posted:

As I said in a post below the one you've quoted, what I've read of that, all the new characters are largely defined by their interactions with the classic ones. So not really a great example.

Barry Convex posted:

Barry Convex posted:

Barry Convex posted:

Barry Convex posted:

Okay.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Bruceski posted:

The one who was pushed into a well and drowned?

Nah that ward didn't die, he just almost did.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

greatn posted:

Noooooooo. If they do that then goodWard will date Skye and get switched with badWard at one point because nobody can resist writing that scenario when there's an evil twin.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Oh boy 108 new posts lets s- :yikes:

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Soylentbits posted:

Noooooooo. If they do that then goodWard will date Skye and get switched with badWard at one point because nobody can resist writing that scenario when there's an evil twin.

I like to imagine that the third Ward brother is a "cleaner" in Bangkok, he's still the normal one though.
:)"I was never thrown down the well, that was some other kid, don't worry that kid used to give me wedgies and steal my lunch money so he had it coming."

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

I.... have no idea how that happened. :shrug:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

greatn posted:

It'll play out like Army of Darkness!

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Hopefully more like Beerfest.

"Grant. Here's your Welcome To SHIELD gift basket, your hot, biracial girlfriend of possibly alien descent will visit you in your quarters shortly, but before that, have you met Sam Koenig? I think you two would get along just fine."

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
The third brother is Koening

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
I was checking to see if there were any theories out there on who Thomas Ward was and this wiki claims that there's a Ward sister? Where did THAT come from, I don't remember anything about that.

http://marvelcinematicuniverse.wikia.com/wiki/Thomas_Ward

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

The Red Queen posted:

I was checking to see if there were any theories out there on who Thomas Ward was and this wiki claims that there's a Ward sister? Where did THAT come from, I don't remember anything about that.

http://marvelcinematicuniverse.wikia.com/wiki/Thomas_Ward

At the end of last season when Koenig had people strapped into a chair and was interrogating them he started off by asking personal questions, and Ward said that he had two brothers and one sister.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Wow, I completely forgot about that.

Fruity Tree
Aug 14, 2010
I'm so glad Whitehall dropped his German accent in his assimilation period after prison. It's nice to see realistic character development on a linguistic level instead of shoving him into the stereotypical Nazi villain corner forever. Language-wise, that is. Otherwise he's still pretty deep in the stereotypical Nazi villain corner. Ohwell.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Hydra: "We're not Nazis, our boss just happens to be Mengele."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

Fruity Tree posted:

I'm so glad Whitehall dropped his German accent in his assimilation period after prison. It's nice to see realistic character development on a linguistic level instead of shoving him into the stereotypical Nazi villain corner forever. Language-wise, that is. Otherwise he's still pretty deep in the stereotypical Nazi villain corner. Ohwell.

What's next? You want the man to drop his funny little salute? Or his appreciation for fine, leather uniforms?

• Locked thread