Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

NESguerilla posted:

Can a DSL modem connect to any phone line in a house or does it have to be a specific one that's been activated by the isp or something?

It has to connect to the right line, but if you just have several different connections to the same line in your house you can use any of them. Multiple lines means multiple phone numbers; If you can plug in more than one telephone but they all have the same phone number then it's all one line and it doesn't matter where you connect the modem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Rubies posted:

Try meh.com too, it's better. It was founded by some of the original woot guys after it got lovely when Amazon bought it. One of the main guys is a goon iirc and posts in the coupons subforum on SA.

Thanks, this is much more like the woot I was used to.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

NESguerilla posted:

Can a DSL modem connect to any phone line in a house or does it have to be a specific one that's been activated by the isp or something?

I seem to recall that the modem requires the jack to be filtered. Depending on how the technician set it up, not all of the jacks in your house may work.

I know in our house, only one room has the filter on it.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

KnifeWrench posted:

I seem to recall that the modem requires the jack to be filtered. Depending on how the technician set it up, not all of the jacks in your house may work.

I know in our house, only one room has the filter on it.

The filtering isn't for the internet connection, it's for the phone. An unfiltered phone will hear all the data transmission noise. Kind of like how you would hear the beeps and squelches if you picked up the handset on a dial up internet line.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

IslamoNazi posted:

The filtering isn't for the internet connection, it's for the phone. An unfiltered phone will hear all the data transmission noise. Kind of like how you would hear the beeps and squelches if you picked up the handset on a dial up internet line.

It actually does kind of affect the internet connection, since someone talking on an unfiltered phone connection can gently caress up a DSL connection. Or at least it did like 15 years ago. Who is your ISP?

But it's mostly a moot point these days with widespread cellphones and wireless internet. There's a reason most ISP's like to hand out wireless routers. They can set up a wireless base in the house, and not have to worry about re-wiring the entire house to bring it up to modern standards.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

KnifeWrench posted:

If you don't want to connect a phone you won't need the filter at all, and if you do want the phone then the filter is usually just a little thing you can unplug and move, not something hardwired in.

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
What makes your tongue so uniquely tongue-y? I presume it doesn't have skin on it so is it just bare muscle? If you ripped all your skin off would you look like a giant walking tongue?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kuno posted:

What makes your tongue so uniquely tongue-y? I presume it doesn't have skin on it so is it just bare muscle? If you ripped all your skin off would you look like a giant walking tongue?

I think there's a thread in TCC for questions you come up with when you're high.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Have any of you ever had a good reliable wireless headset that doesn't lose connection/refuse to connect?

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Tiggum posted:

If you don't want to connect a phone you won't need the filter at all, and if you do want the phone then the filter is usually just a little thing you can unplug and move, not something hardwired in.

Yeah, I was remembering it wrong.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Manslaughter posted:

Have any of you ever had a good reliable wireless headset that doesn't lose connection/refuse to connect?
I assume you are speaking of bluetooth headsets, connected to a cell phone.

After several hundred dollars thrown down this hole, I decided that my pants pocket was approximately 2 feet from my head, and a wired headset, which is 100% reliable and cost $5 instead of $50, would cover that distance just fine.

YMMV.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Manslaughter posted:

If you're talking headset for gaming/home use, the playstation wireless Gold headset is excellent. Has a USB dongle, but otherwise requires no wires. I've only used it with my PS4 but it ought to work with other devices with a USB port.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Manslaughter posted:

My work picked up the Logitech G930 (USB wireless headset) for me which changed my opinion on wireless headsets; it's comfortable, has better range than my wireless router, and charges quite quickly. No software to install either, which was exceptionally nice.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
What are the best ways to donate:

- Clothing of all sorts (jeans and t-shirts to coats to suits)
- Old electronics (phones and digital cameras)
- Assorted toys and games

Preferably places I can just go and drop them off instead of having to ship. For clothes I know there are those random donation bins you see everywhere but no idea how reliable they are for actually getting them to someone who needs them. I'm in NY if there are any particularly local options.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Nibble posted:

Preferably places I can just go and drop them off instead of having to ship. For clothes I know there are those random donation bins you see everywhere but no idea how reliable they are for actually getting them to someone who needs them. I'm in NY if there are any particularly local options.

For clothes and toys look for something like Goodwill or the Salvation Army. Electronics might be harder to give away; I know my local Goodwill doesn't take them since they really can't do anything with them.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Funny, I have a local Goodwill I was thinking about bringing the clothes to but I'd never considered they could use the other stuff as well. Good call!

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Nibble posted:

Funny, I have a local Goodwill I was thinking about bringing the clothes to but I'd never considered they could use the other stuff as well. Good call!

Yeah they'll definitely take clothes and toys, just ask about the electronics. At the very least, free electronics recycling is pretty prevalent, at least among tech stores around me.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
If you believe that anyone disadvantaged deserves assistance from charity organizations, including LGBT youth, don't donate to the Salvation Army. Yes, those folks ringing bells outside the grocery store around Christmas work for an organization with a history of denying services to homeless gay kids.

Phone postin' or I'd share some links. They're readily available through Google, though.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Kuno posted:

Pretty sure everything on the inside of your body is mucous membrane, with the tongue being covered in a very specialized form of the oral mucosa.

You also don't have skin in your rectum or ocular cavities in case you were wondering or planning to check. Skin on the outside, mucous membrane on the inside.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Nibble posted:

http://www.newalternativesnyc.org/ or anywhere mentioned here http://www.astorians.com/community/index.php?topic=18024.0 for the clothes. They could also use grooming supplies, tampons and the like.

nishi koichi fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Nov 22, 2014

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

syscall girl posted:

Pretty sure everything on the inside of your body is mucous membrane, with the tongue being covered in a very specialized form of the oral mucosa.

You also don't have skin in your rectum or ocular cavities in case you were wondering or planning to check. Skin on the outside, mucous membrane on the inside.

Quick random interesting fact, it takes 16 days after fertilization before the clump of cells undergoes gastrulation, which is when--for lack of interest in going into more detail--the cell mass folds over and the hole first forms for your mouth to rear end body hole.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Kuno posted:

Your tongue has muscles that are designed to just change its shape in addition to regular muscles that are fixed to provide movement -- and unlike most of your other muscles, your tongue has a "tip" that is not anchored down and is totally free. That's why it is so uniquely dexterous. Regular skeletal muscle, like your biceps or whatever, would look similar but have a different texture.

Because of textbooks with pre-dissected diagrams, people think the inside of the body looks way different than it actually does. If you open up a chest or abdominal cavity for example, the organs are tucked away in neat little grey-colored sacs and it's really hard to distinguish what is what without opening them. Even if you peel away skin to expose bare muscle, the muscle still has a slippery "skinlike" connective tissue coating on it.

I was pretty surprised that this...

Is not even remotely close to what you actually see in dissection. Anatomy is hard!

Baldbeard fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 22, 2014

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!

Fruit Smoothies posted:

Thanks! Do we know if it is a goon / what the story is?

He went to a wine-tasting event and turned out to be creepy and clumsy. There's a reason he has a plastic cup and not a wine glass.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Kind of wondering: Every form of government ID that I've seen requires other forms of ID to replace, like a driver's license, birth certificate, social security card, passport, etc.

How would someone get one of those if they lost all of them? Like, say, their house burned down?

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:
I had to get some gov't IDs for a citizenship thing, and didn't have anything valid they requested. So at least in my state they have a special office called "vital records" or something and you can make an appointment to square everything away. They can request things from the hospital you were born at and the like, domestic and abroad.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!

OneEightHundred posted:

How would someone get one of those if they lost all of them? Like, say, their house burned down?

You'll be able to get back on track if you know your name, your date of birth, your social security number, your previous residences, and a few other basic pieces of information that another person is unlikely to know all at once.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

OneEightHundred posted:

Kind of wondering: Every form of government ID that I've seen requires other forms of ID to replace, like a driver's license, birth certificate, social security card, passport, etc.

Every state has slightly different procedures, but in general you bring the police or fire report relevant to your having lost all your identifying documents with you while replacing the identifying documents. A lot of old people (me, for instance) keep a copy of their birth certificate in their safe-deposit box.

sean price
Sep 30, 2011

by Lowtax
I have no idea about how to go about applying for jobs that are not within my home town. I've never even tried. Does anyone have any advice on how to get started or know of a tutorial or resources on how this is done? I've worked the same jobs for a very long time so I'm just not sure how things have progressed in terms of Skype interviews and such... I don't want to end up like my brothers who move away to another place before securing a job and end up coming home because they haven't found one; I want to secure a job before I leave home.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

trigonsareNOThomo posted:

I have no idea about how to go about applying for jobs that are not within my home town. I've never even tried. Does anyone have any advice on how to get started or know of a tutorial or resources on how this is done? I've worked the same jobs for a very long time so I'm just not sure how things have progressed in terms of Skype interviews and such... I don't want to end up like my brothers who move away to another place before securing a job and end up coming home because they haven't found one; I want to secure a job before I leave home.

Every place and industry is going to have its own preferred ways of posting jobs. It's harder if you can't network but start by googling "jobs [a city]" or finding the biggest employer in your industry and calling them.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

What sort of job are you looking for, and what qualifications/education do you have? It's pretty different looking for a management or engineering type job and looking for a retail or food type job.

sean price
Sep 30, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm really not that qualified. I have a degree in Business Management Economics from a UC and I've worked consisently since college (sales, IT and a short marketing job) but none of it is super impressive anything, kind of just consisent employment. I just want to know how it generally works when someone who lives in California or something goes about trying to get a job elsewhere without having the resources to just fly in and physically interview for each potential job.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Is there any good journalism out there on how netflix has affected art house and independent film, for better or for worse?

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

I'm really not that qualified. I have a degree in Business Management Economics from a UC and I've worked consisently since college (sales, IT and a short marketing job) but none of it is super impressive anything, kind of just consisent employment. I just want to know how it generally works when someone who lives in California or something goes about trying to get a job elsewhere without having the resources to just fly in and physically interview for each potential job.

It's a lot harder (A LOT) to get hired as a non-local candidate these days, but it is possible. If a company is really interested in you, they will pay to fly you out for an interview. More companies will be interested in you if they don't have to incur this expense. You're not fresh out of college and you have some experience, so that ought to help you. I think job search expenses are tax deductible.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Florida Betty posted:

It's a lot harder (A LOT) to get hired as a non-local candidate these days, but it is possible. If a company is really interested in you, they will pay to fly you out for an interview. More companies will be interested in you if they don't have to incur this expense. You're not fresh out of college and you have some experience, so that ought to help you. I think job search expenses are tax deductible.

Check out craigslist for the city you're moving to. There are a lot of scam "jobs" selling cutco knives door to door, but there are a lot of legitimate jobs too. Respond to a bunch, and try to set up a couple of interviews within a week.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
My understanding of rechargeable batteries is that you can damage capacity by using them while they are charging. For example, processor-heavy apps on a phone while it's plugged in, or charging a device from a backup battery while charging the backup. However, I haven't seen this claim made about laptop batteries. Is the technology of the battery different, or is there some switch in the laptop's hardware that draws from the AC adapter if the battery is at/near full? If the latter, why don't manufacturers of those other devices include such a switch?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I fly Southwest a lot. Half of my flights are of the very early morning variety. The endless free drink coupons I receive get slipped into the in-flight magazine or inside the safety information card. So, if you sit in the exit row, or the first few rows of the plane - check those spots. It's common.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

OneEightHundred posted:

I recently lost my wallet, so I had to go get my Drivers license replaced. I looked up all the forms I needed to prove that I am me. So I showed up with my birth certificate, SSI card, 2 years worth of insurance info, a voter registration card, and a copy of my last tax return.

In my state they have digitized the DL photos. The clerk just casually looked at my big pile of paper that said that I am me, then looked at my old Drivers License photo they had on file, and accepted that I look enough like me from three years ago to mail me a replacement driver's license.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Nov 23, 2014

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Grundulum posted:

My understanding of rechargeable batteries is that you can damage capacity by using them while they are charging. For example, processor-heavy apps on a phone while it's plugged in, or charging a device from a backup battery while charging the backup. However, I haven't seen this claim made about laptop batteries. Is the technology of the battery different, or is there some switch in the laptop's hardware that draws from the AC adapter if the battery is at/near full? If the latter, why don't manufacturers of those other devices include such a switch?

Meh, it's a bit more complicated. But laptop manufacturers have no incentive to keep your batteries working well, since they also sell the replacement batteries.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Grundulum posted:

Lithium batteries can be damaged by heat and it's recommended that if you want your laptop batteries to last as long a possible, disconnect the battery when you are running off the mains power*. It's probably worse for things like phones which don't have big cooling fins and fans to disperse the heat from a processor working flat out.

*Caveats: if you do this and accidentally knock the power cable out, you lose all your work.
Also some laptops need the battery in order to run at full power (I believe one of the Macs does this)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Grundulum posted:

Check out myth 2, man.

http://mashable.com/2014/06/18/phone-charging-myths/