Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Cake, is it a drug, or is it simply a delicious chocolatey piece of heaven?
I have finally beginnered (rather than mastered) the continental method of knitting - so much neater than before so thanks for all the links (from ages ago, I am slow at knitting.)

I have another question though - I have one set of circular needles and I am never returning to straight ones, but...I'm on a tight budget; I like pointy needles and I like them slick, but the internet isn't helping (because I don't know exactly what I'm looking for.)

Does anyone have any recs for decent but not hideously expensive interchangeable circs? I have looked through the thread but I got a bit confused as to what was good, what was acceptable on a budget and what was no longer made...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.
I've recommended them before in the thread, but Knitter's Pride is my go-to for interchangeables. Their price is pretty reasonable against other brands and the quality's great.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Everyone has such different opinions about their preferred needles. If you know you like pointy and slick, I would start looking at metal sets and try to find someone to borrow from to see what you like.

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

suddenly cats posted:

I've recommended them before in the thread, but Knitter's Pride is my go-to for interchangeables. Their price is pretty reasonable against other brands and the quality's great.

Anne Whateley posted:

Everyone has such different opinions about their preferred needles. If you know you like pointy and slick, I would start looking at metal sets and try to find someone to borrow from to see what you like.

Thank you both - I'll look at the Knitter's Pride - I don't know anyone who has anything like them sadly, but I know from the straight needles I have, that I prefer the slip of the acrylic/plastic rather than wood for my knitting so I'll try some of the slipperier ones (though the symfonie dreamz ones say they're good for all yarn types anyway so I may get a pair of those and try before I pick a set...) and see how I go.

Edit: Hmm. All the good priced ones only ship within USA...time to hunt through all the second-hand marketplaces.

Kluliss fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 14, 2014

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.
They do also carry a metal line called Nova--I don't personally have any experience with them since I'm a wooden needles person, but they might be worth checking out?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Knitter's Pride in the US = KnitPro in Europe. Where are you?

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Anne Whateley posted:

Knitter's Pride in the US = KnitPro in Europe. Where are you?

Ah, I'm UK - I'll hunt for KnitPro instead, thank you!

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

I love Knitter's Pride and I can't rave about their interchangeable setups enough. I ended up getting a set of the cubics and I noticed that it really does help with tension and general flow.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
I like my Hiya Hiya sharps and use the small set 95% of the time. It's like $55 though.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"
I have a set of knitters pride (wood) and chiaogoo red lace (metal). They are both great, and I think it is largely a thing of personal preference. Chiao goo are expensive, though. I've heard good things about addi and hiyahiya (if you like metal and sharp). Hiya hiya are much more affordable. I tried plastic needles, and they were not good. They get dents, nicks, and deformations quite easily, which will catch and snag on your yarn causing it to split.

Adoreible
Aug 20, 2012
Seconding the HiyaHiya vote. It's to the point of putting projects off until I can buy the needle size I need in a Hiya Hiya Sharp circ. I thrive on Magic Loop so the longer the circ the better.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I love my Dreamz but I haven't brought them out in quite a while.

Will be doing so when I start on my first ever sweater.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
Knitted a set of ornaments for a gift:

They're from Teeny Tiny Mochimochi.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

They are so adorable :3:

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
I made the bow pouch:

Although I kind of messed up the pouch portion, it looks inside out and I totally did not center it behind the bow.... Oh well, still looks cute from the front.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
That's really cute! Love the colours too.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

That's a beautiful yarn, what is it?

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Attention knitgoons! KnitPicks is having a crazy go nuts sale right now, including Wool of the Andes Superwash (in some colorways) for freaking $1.85 a skein!! Guess who just got a sweater quantity of yarn with a couple extra skeins for $18? THIS GUY

I'm gonna make this in Garnet Heather :3

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

Sex Hobbit posted:

Attention knitgoons! KnitPicks is having a crazy go nuts sale right now, including Wool of the Andes Superwash (in some colorways) for freaking $1.85 a skein!! Guess who just got a sweater quantity of yarn with a couple extra skeins for $18? THIS GUY

I'm gonna make this in Garnet Heather :3

Also the Felici is back, which I was told they were discontinuing. It's so pretty!

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
Why do I have to be so broke right now :(.

I was almost late to work yesterday, but it was for a good cause. Rhea Silvia is finally off the needles and on the blocking board. I've been wanting to knit her for over a year now but was put off by the provisional CO. Of course, once I figured out how to do a crochet PCO it was easy as pie, and I powered through it.

The Shibui bled a fair bit while soaking but it doesn't seem to have affected the colour, it's still a beautiful deep wine colour. It isn't as long as I was hoping, but I have a fat neck so that doesn't help. Still thrilled with it, and hoping it doesn't decide to curl once I unpin it.

Now I need to get knitting for my secret santa giftee, and then I've got a dozen Christmas presents to knit...Christ. I had so many plans to get ahead this year, too. Might be Christmas stockings for everyone at this rate.

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004
I got four skeins of Felici in Time Traveler, and plan on getting more if possible. I've coveted that yarn for so long.

Ma_NiC fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Dec 12, 2014

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya

Mad Hamish posted:

That's a beautiful yarn, what is it?

The rainbow yarn is Araucania Huasco and the black is Knit Picks Stroll Glimmer. The image is clickable and goes to my Ravelry project page, but I forgot to mention that!

I made more gnomes:

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

jomiel posted:

The rainbow yarn is Araucania Huasco and the black is Knit Picks Stroll Glimmer. The image is clickable and goes to my Ravelry project page, but I forgot to mention that!

I made more gnomes:

Those gnomes are adorable. Do you give them to people as gifts? Also, how long does it take you to make one?

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
Yes, some of my family have requested them as tree decorations. They take about 30 min for each one? I'm getting a bit better at it and it only has 1 I-cord for arms and the beard is not too long to make. I made a reindeer from the same book and that took me like 2 hours threading all the little ends in... For the gnomes it's easier to just tuck all the ends in with the stuffing and not have to use the yarn needle as often...

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Is it still called amigurumi if it's knitted instead of crocheted? If not, what's it called?

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Hummingbirds posted:

Is it still called amigurumi if it's knitted instead of crocheted? If not, what's it called?

I asked my Japanese teacher when I was still in undergrad and he confirmed that both knitting and crocheting are covered by the verb amu. Also with another teacher, when I was asked about hobbies I said I liked to make amimono (knitted/crocheted things) and he said "ohh, amimono!" while miming knitting so there's that too.

Devi
Jan 15, 2006

CYCLOPS
WAS RIGHT
I was at a LYS Wednesday and there was a mother in with a little girl who wanted to touch everything. The mom was holding the girl but there was yarn and who wouldn't be upset about not being able to touch all of that? One of the women working there showed her two little gnomes the girl could hold. Instant happiness. The mom had to go across the street and brought the gnomes with. It was pretty cute.

But then I told my mom about that and now she wants gnomes. I've done a few minimochi but not the gnomes. Yet. At least it will use up scraps. Or give me an excuse to buy packs of miniskeins.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie
^ cute :3. Gnomes are the best.

I have a slightly odd problem. I'm knitting a hat for a ~1 year old but because winter is months away I want it to last her for a couple of years so I'm knitting it toddler size. The problem is the hat has earflaps and an i-cord string either side to tie under the chin - but I have no access to the kid (friend of a friend's kid) and don't know how big the average 2-3 year old's head is. Can anyone help me out?

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
My 3 year old measures (roughly... she really didn't want to be measured) 19 inch head circumference around where a sweatband would sit, and 20 inches around the chin to the top of her head. She's a little small, so that would be 2-3 year old size.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie
LOL I appreciate the sacrifice! Seriously, thanks for that :).

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
I find these charts to be pretty accurate for sizing:
http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/size-chart.html

We live in California where the single-use plastic bag ban goes into effect January 1. My kid's teachers are all receiving a market bag as their holiday gift this year. Shoulder straps look short, but they'll stretch with use.

Here's one with a twin size blanket shoved in it:

Nibblet
Nov 25, 2005

Her head is full of worms.

Fionnoula posted:

We live in California where the single-use plastic bag ban goes into effect January 1. My kid's teachers are all receiving a market bag as their holiday gift this year. Shoulder straps look short, but they'll stretch with use.

Here's one with a twin size blanket shoved in it:

These are FANTASTIC! Do you have a pattern you can share for this?!? My mom would love these and she's in CA.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Nibblet posted:

These are FANTASTIC! Do you have a pattern you can share for this?!? My mom would love these and she's in CA.

I made it up but I wrote it down. You can have it if you want but warning: it hasn't been test knitted by anyone other than me so I don't know if there are parts that are unclear. Also, I have no real idea how much yarn it takes since the red was a huge cone of Peaches & Cream and the multi ones were from one of those HUGE skeins of Bernat Handicrafter (the ones that are like 600yards), so they may well take more than one regular skein of kitchen cotton. I weighed one after making it and based on how much it weighs vs. how much the skein has in yds/weight, I think maybe it's like 210-220 yards? Shoot me your email and I'll send it to you.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

left_unattended posted:

LOL I appreciate the sacrifice! Seriously, thanks for that :).

My roommate has a 2 and a half year old but I didn't want to have to explain why she was walking in on me measuring her child's head circumference. I felt creepy enough the time I knit the kid a hat and ended up buying a grapefruit to block it on. I was standing in the supermarket squeezing grapfruits and trying to figure out which was the closest in size to an infant's skull and felt like a serial killer

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
I saw this come up on my local fiber group's Facebook and thought a few people here might enjoy it too.

Tin Can Knits is giving away one free pattern to.. well, everyone! All you have to do is put it in your cart and enter the code listed, and boom. Awesome cool free patterns for everyone!

More info: =EDIT=
Nevermind this is from last year and I am a dope.

That Damn Satyr fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 1, 2014

ackapoo
Nov 15, 2007

fun leads to abortions!

That drat Satyr posted:

I saw this come up on my local fiber group's Facebook and thought a few people here might enjoy it too.

Tin Can Knits is giving away one free pattern to.. well, everyone! All you have to do is put it in your cart and enter the code listed, and boom. Awesome cool free patterns for everyone!

More info: http://us2.forward-to-friend1.com/forward/preview?u=ac55a87e0c49ad678b42da26a&id=06f9d3b1f1

It says valid until January 1, 2013 :(

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Thank you to those who gave me recommendations on interchangeable circular needles - I went with Knit Pro in the end but got a selection of sizes/styles to see which ones I like best. I am loving the nova cubes, but have just spent a while (hours and hours because I knit slowly) knitting a scarfy effort using the acrylic ones in the picture (going to sew the scarf at the ends and put a couple of buttons on it so that you slip it over your head and then put your coat on top so it peeks out like a collar. Less bulky than a traditional scarf too.

Anyway, here it is, my utterly messy knitting of a scarf using Schachenmayr Aventica Supreme which costs £1 a ball! It's soft and lovely and I'll be trying to work up a tonne of these for christmas as I am skint.

Incidentally, the wool has small thick sections every 6" or so which is why it looks nobbly...my knitting isn't quite that bad...apart from where I have failed on the edges, that is.

Is there a way of making edges really neat that I just haven't discovered yet or am I just that bad at knitting?

Once I have successfully made scarves, the next step is to learn increase/decrease (on purpose rather than by accident) and make something that isn't a rectangle. Baby steps...

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Kluliss posted:

Is there a way of making edges really neat that I just haven't discovered yet or am I just that bad at knitting?

The secret to that is to slip the first stitch on every row rather than knitting it. So just transfer it from left needle to right without knitting it, then proceed knitting normally for the rest of the row. You'll want to keep slipping it in the same manner as the stitches - since you're working in garter stitch, that means all rows are Knit rows so you'll slip every 1st stitch knit-wise (i.e. inserting the needle left to right into the stitch when you slip it). If you are working in stockingette, you would slip the first stitch purlwise on the purl rows.

otter space
Apr 10, 2007

ackapoo posted:

It says valid until January 1, 2013 :(

I guess that explains why the coupon code doesn't work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Gave into the knit picks sale. Got enough yarn for two pairs of gloves, a hat, pair of socks, and a sweater for just over $50. Be still my heart.