Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (September 15, 1927)

Peanuts on the hazards of an intemperate tongue. (November 30, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean

We make noise about people being miserable in this strip. We make noise when people finally get around to joy, too, because we're not convinced that happiness can live for long here. When somebody in your life that's been a drag on the soul suddenly pops a rainbow out of their rear end, you wonder if they're about to kill somebody. That's the way it goes.

Popeye

Rip HayWhatTheHellDidYouJustSay?

Ka-off-panel-plot-development!

Out Our Way (February 3-4, 1926)

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Calling it now, DDD is gonna get into trouble underwater and the seal chick is gonna save his butt.

Sharay
Apr 19, 2008

Sjurygg posted:

Calling it now, DDD is gonna get into trouble underwater and the seal chick is gonna save his butt.

Here's the connection for others (like me) that don't read Lost Side of Suburbia and got confused :v:

Wanamingo posted:

Lost Side of Suburbia

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Reply All

Pearls Before Swine

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Jane's World

Wait. So, BANG, they're back to normal? Why are they not furries anymore? Were they just hallucinating because of head injuries or something?

Non Sequitur

Uh oh, the beetus.

Heavenly Nostrils is with us again.

:)

Kliban's Cats

That is one torqued up cat.

9 Chickweed Lane 11/20/2003

Based on your history with her, Amos, a "sad trombone" comes to mind.

Zits

Kevin & Kell

No you constructed a stick with the 3D printer. You still used the sticks to construct the dam. If you had a 3D printer big enough to construct the dam, where are you hiding it? Why do I care.

Some people just live to bitch. It's like their hobby or something.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac I love this weird-rear end family.

Poptropica

Heathcliff

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set puts a price on friendship.

Working Daze knows it's a hirer's market out there. Also marketing people, ammitrite? :haw:

Job searching in the tech sector is really bad nowadays too, because on top of the ridiculous amount of experience, companies want skill with a half-dozen programming languages even for non-programming positions or shitton of certifications you've never heard of.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Herman

Thatababy

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

Intelligent Life

Retail

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

What she means is she's put her life on hold for a long time so she could raise her obnoxious bratty son and now that she's finally managed to get the enormous infant's rear end out of her nest she's feeling a little lonely and would like some adult company and maybe even some romance.

Or, to put it more simply, what she means is grow the gently caress up, Gunther.

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

Juliet Jones

Well, that was sure dumb. Let's see what a new storyline will bring us!

Phantom Classic

Big Ben Bolt

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Dustin

Steve Kelley needs to work on his stand up routine.

On the Fastrack

I dunno, the haughty look works just fine for supermodels and they're plenty attractive.

Safe Havens

Speaking from experience... just make a dating profile on any of the myriad dating sites. If you're halfway attractive, even more so if you have some geeky interests, you'll get PLENTY of messages and guys asking you out on a date everyday. I promise.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

What she means is she's put her life on hold for a long time so she could raise her obnoxious bratty son and now that she's finally managed to get the enormous infant's rear end out of her nest she's feeling a little lonely and would like some adult company and maybe even some romance.

Or, to put it more simply, what she means is grow the gently caress up, Gunther.
Gunther being protective of his mom is pretty funny.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

All the shapes in the last panel are silhouettes of Godzilla monsters! I see Gigan, Ghidora, and I think one of them is Gamera...

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Indolent Bastard posted:

Intelligent Life

Julet Esqu posted:

Speaking as a girl, I don't give a poo poo if you call girls dudes. I've done it myself. However, unironically saying dudette will probably make me wonder if you secretly believe yourself to be a Ninja Turtle.

But Gwen is a feminist! She can't stand for that! Given, I'm being a bit harsh on the artist because I've been mostly noting what Gwen is doing after it was acknowledged she runs a blog about feminist topics. So I wanted to see how the author would handle writing someone who did that. So far it's been an irrelevant facet of her character for the most part. Save for when there are jokes about it, like when she's shown having writer's block for until the Peter Griffin stand-in showed up to do his creepy, desperate, please-let-me-put-quarters-in-you-until-sex-comes-out routine. Wait no it was the jock because hurr hurr nerds can't be sexist pieces of poo poo.

Job chat: I had the fun of clawing my way into the job market with a Ph.D. in chemistry recently. Academia wants you to post-doc which requires you have connections and preferably money. Industry wants you to have an internship which requires you have connections. Government positions wants you to know you'll be available 18 months in advance of applying for anything they offer because that's the turnaround on it.

I didn't actually do a post-doc or internship because things don't always pan out in ways that make you a presentable post-doc candidate, and I had no industry connections to get an internship. Instead I ended up using the connections I did have to get hired by an Ed Tech company and it's pretty fun, actually, though I do sort of miss research.

I've watched dudes (both male and female) with little to no connections work in liquor stores and teach adjunct for years while trying to find something that actually uses their degree. Being unable to relocate sucks a whole lot there. Right now I'm watching a labmate that's a brilliant chemist desperately beg for post-docs and repeatedly getting told by everyone they don't have money because the current funding climate sucks since the recession made things suck then the stimulus made everything awesome then the stimulus ending made everything suck a whole lot more.

P.S. if you ever see a movie/book/TV show/comic show a scientist being an anti-social rear end in a top hat and succeeding, understand I am laughing hard at it. Connections are important for scientists. I only got hired because I went to conferences and schmoozed with people, and probed every professional I met to see if they were interested in talking about their job. You only get away with being an rear end in a top hat if you're weirdly charming in at least some way, or established yourself well then became an rear end in a top hat.

P.P.S. Also being chatty and curious about people around you are how you get the response of, "Oh, I'm a process chemist for Trojan." and then you learn about condom chemistry. That was an interesting day.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

They missed a trick here by not using 'Gloomp!' as the sound effect. I expect better than that from an author of Dog Comix.

Pooch Café

You can't slam a doggie door, they're on a swing hinge! No, no, nothing about this adds up at all.

Ballard Street

That's weird, a lot of dogs get more excited when somebody falls down than they ever would chasing a squirrel.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Midnight Moth posted:

On the Fastrack

I dunno, the haughty look works just fine for supermodels and they're plenty attractive.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IXSn1cPz9eg

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Context, huh?

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Say Nothing posted:

Context, huh?

oh, if only the context made it better and not worse.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
How much more Zachary Nixon Johnson do we have left, anyway? Can't be that much.

Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

I do the same thing whenever I need to relax, too. Except instead of a carwash it's a shower, and instead of being carless it's with a beer.

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Lost Side of Suburbia

Yep, it's been called.

Dick Tracy

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Deep Dark Fears

I think that was an episode of the X-Files. And a GWAR song.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Wanamingo posted:

How much more Zachary Nixon Johnson do we have left, anyway? Can't be that much.
All that means is you get a six month break before someone else starts posting it as a "classic".

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Wanamingo posted:

Deep Dark Fears

:stonk: Nooooooo...

Apartment 3-G continues to be boring as poo poo. It's just been Margo dumping her mom's wedding in her assistant's lap (after Lu Ann helpfully reminded her that he exists) and then they stand around talking about nothing with stupid smiles on their dumb faces. I'm only posting today's, but trust me, you missed nothing.

Radio Patrol is way better than A3G and I'm not just saying that because Rado Patrol gives us a log fight.

Rip Kirby

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

What about the guy with the eating dinner? He doesn't have a cap, goatee or glasses. What about him "Inspector"? WHAT ABOUT HIM? I'M WAITING!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Indolent Bastard posted:

What about the guy with the eating dinner? He doesn't have a cap, goatee or glasses. What about him "Inspector"? WHAT ABOUT HIM? I'M WAITING!
He hasn't had time to sit down and get food. He just got in there.

This is uncharacteristically logical and an actually sensible, solvable puzzle for Inspector Danger, what's going on?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Zereth posted:

He hasn't had time to sit down and get food. He just got in there.

This is uncharacteristically logical and an actually sensible, solvable puzzle for Inspector Danger, what's going on?

Clearly he sat at a table that had not yet been cleared and just dug in to make his disguise complete. Prove me wrong.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (February 3-4, 1926)

Wait what? Did people really think that fresh bread was bad for you?

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Arelon posted:

Wait what? Did people really think that fresh bread was bad for you?

There was certainly a long standing belief that eating food that was too hot would give you indigestion. Of all things, I remember an episode of The Wombles where somebody steals a hot cake and is identified as the thief by their uncontrollable hiccuping. No idea where the concept started or why it died out.

Humanoid Female
Mar 13, 2008

Kismet posted:

There was certainly a long standing belief that eating food that was too hot would give you indigestion. Of all things, I remember an episode of The Wombles where somebody steals a hot cake and is identified as the thief by their uncontrollable hiccuping. No idea where the concept started or why it died out.

Having grown up with a mother who insisted it was SO BAD for you to eat any baked things like bread, cake, cookies etc straight out of the oven before they had a chance to go cold, this was a thing I believed right up until I was about 30 and suddenly woke up one day and realized it was all a plot to keep little kids from mooching all your delicious baking.

I can't prove that this was the original reason behind the myth, but I bet it was, because little kids in previous decades or centuries probably weren't any different. I am also pretty sure the only reason it died out is because most people today don't grow up baking everything (unfortunately).

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Humanoid Female posted:

Having grown up with a mother who insisted it was SO BAD for you to eat any baked things like bread, cake, cookies etc straight out of the oven before they had a chance to go cold, this was a thing I believed right up until I was about 30 and suddenly woke up one day and realized it was all a plot to keep little kids from mooching all your delicious baking.

I can't prove that this was the original reason behind the myth, but I bet it was, because little kids in previous decades or centuries probably weren't any different. I am also pretty sure the only reason it died out is because most people today don't grow up baking everything (unfortunately).

It goes up there with the lie about swimming right after eating giving you cramps, or your hair growing back thicker if you shave it in things most likely started by lazy-rear end parents who couldn't just tell their kids 'no' and stand firm.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

I woulda posted it if you didn't, Kidc.

I mean there's nothing else it COULD be, right?

(Except this I guess)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTl89BQOUYY

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Wanamingo posted:

A racist shut-in.:eng101:

A racist misogynist shut-in.

Piranha Club is without doubt the ugliest strip in the thread, for reasons that far transcend the art.

Death Ray
Jan 20, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Dustin

Isn't this the same kid who just admitted he blackmailed his teacher into giving him good grades? And he's supposed to be one of the "good", responsible characters (i.e. not Dustin).

On the Fastrack

gently caress that, go with crocodile.

Safe Havens

To be fair, you'd get that if you subscribed to any news feed at all.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Midnight Moth posted:

On the Fastrack

gently caress that, go with crocodile.

Nothing, because the Egyptians didn't believe in reincarnation.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Obviously Fi is an ancient undead which has reformed their living appearance through nefarious sorcery. Not reincarnation. :rolleyes:

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Fi is Fi

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Reply All

I know how she feels; it was actually cold enough here that I had to put on long pants Monday night, instead of my usual shorts.

Of course, I live in Phoenix.

Pearls Before Swine

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
"Pooch Café

You can't slam a doggie door, they're on a swing hinge! No, no, nothing about this adds up at all."

:eng101: Actually, you can! We have a catflap that's got locks on it; it's activated by the cat's microchip (which involved 'teaching' the door our cats' chip wavelength by holding them up and more or less waving them around in front of the door until it registered). Anyway, it's always set on 'unlock' going out, but 'lock' coming in (to prevent visits from neighbour-cats). It's on a hinge, but it does slam shut with a bit of a bang when they come through it, especially if they're zooming in ahead of a pursuing cat-pal.

Gah -- soz about making such a dog's dinner out of the quotes info there.

Ms Boods fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Nov 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Indolent Bastard posted:

Intelligent Life

Keep putting in those Nice coins Skip.

• Locked thread