Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

TheRam posted:

More people should buy Teslagrad, the devs said not many people bought it and they keep putting it on sale (PC version) and tweeting about it, it's a really really good game. Not crazy long but some really memorable boss fights (okay, two maybe three).
Stealth Inc.2 and The Swapper are both better metroidvanias, and they're cheaper.
I enjoyed Teslagrad, I had been keeping an eye on it for a while, but I was pretty disappointed that the gameplay still felt as loose as it did in the old PC demo and the price didn't make it any easier to look past.

Sounds like I didn't have fun, but I did. Still, I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone that hasn't already played Stealth Inc.2 and/or The Swapper first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I'm starting to feel nostalgic about Mewtwo being DLC. Don't know why, really, but I remember leaving my Gamecube on overnight and then going to school and coming back to challenge it.

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

What do you mean 'no performing monkeys'?

.TakaM posted:

Stealth Inc.2 and The Swapper are both better metroidvanias, and they're cheaper.
I enjoyed Teslagrad, I had been keeping an eye on it for a while, but I was pretty disappointed that the gameplay still felt as loose as it did in the old PC demo and the price didn't make it any easier to look past.

Sounds like I didn't have fun, but I did. Still, I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone that hasn't already played Stealth Inc.2 and/or The Swapper first.

Way I see it Stealth Inc 2 is the most Nintendo-purist-y and best value for money of the three. The Swapper is the most brainy and was my favourite thematically, and Teslagrad I thought had a more fast-paced feel, and oh my god that final boss. And the one that rotates... I'm not saying they were ingenius or anything, but just so pretty and fun. I think value-for-money wise Teslagrad is probably on par with Swapper, so straight-up-cheapness isn't hugely important to me. I loved Swapper but I'd be more likely to replay Teslagrad (and it has another ending you can work for).

My favourite though... drat that's hard. They're all good, and they're all for slightly different wants. I want the devs for Teslagrad to get money as I think they made a really good game and it could make the difference between their studio surviving, but I would of course say to go buy it on PC where it's bloody cheap unless money isn't a big deal. It was like a few bucks on GoG the other day.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

I just got a Wii U 32gb refurbished, which was a great deal. There's something I'm not understanding though; what is taking up so much space? Is it just the OS? Data Management doesn't seem to answer this question. All I have is save data for three games, and Netflix. Do I need to resort to external storage already?

edit: data management seems to indicate I've already used up like 12 gigs?

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

JoeGlassJAw posted:

I just got a Wii U 32gb refurbished, which was a great deal. There's something I'm not understanding though; what is taking up so much space? Is it just the OS? Data Management doesn't seem to answer this question. All I have is save data for three games, and Netflix. Do I need to resort to external storage already?

How much free space do you have?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

JoeGlassJAw posted:

edit: data management seems to indicate I've already used up like 12 gigs?

If you go to the copy option under data management it will tell you exactly how much space each thing on your drive is taking up. Most games wind up being a few hundred megabytes with patches (though Mario Kart 8 with the DLC is breaking the 1GB mark for me).

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

If you go to the copy option under data management it will tell you exactly how much space each thing on your drive is taking up. Most games wind up being a few hundred megabytes with patches (though Mario Kart 8 with the DLC is breaking the 1GB mark for me).

Yeah, that's what I did. Everything that it shows me doesn't add up to the amount of space being used. Netflix, 39 mb. Mario Kart, 1069 mb. Wind Waker, 31mb. Bayonetta 2, 1536 kb. Then down on the bottom it says I only have 12gb of free space.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

JoeGlassJAw posted:

Yeah, that's what I did. Everything that it shows me doesn't add up to the amount of space being used. Netflix, 39 mb. Mario Kart, 1069 mb. Wind Waker, 31mb. Bayonetta 2, 1536 kb. Then down on the bottom it says I only have 12gb of free space.

Just checked on my 32GB. I have 2284MB of things installed on my system drive and it's reading 22GB free on the bottom. It kinda feels like you have a 16GB system (e: there is no 16GB system and I am a dummy).

e: Moved all data to my USB drive and it's showing 25GB free.

e2: Check your download manager - http://techforums.nintendo.com/message/111934

Legdiian fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Nov 21, 2014

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Is there anything in Active Downloads that might not show up under Data Management?

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

I just moved everything to USB and its still showing I only have 12 gb free. I was trying to download Smash Bros but it said I didn't have enough free space which is how this whole problem arose. I'm going to wipe the harddrive and see how much data I'm left with. If they really sent me a 16 gb I'll have to get in touch with Nintendo.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

JoeGlassJAw posted:

I just moved everything to USB and its still showing I only have 12 gb free. I was trying to download Smash Bros but it said I didn't have enough free space which is how this whole problem arose. I'm going to wipe the harddrive and see how much data I'm left with. If they really sent me a 16 gb I'll have to get in touch with Nintendo.

There is no 16GB SKU, so something would have seriously had to screw up for that to happen. Sounds like it loaded some portion of Smash Bros and then errored out.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

TheRam posted:

Way I see it Stealth Inc 2 is the most Nintendo-purist-y and best value for money of the three. The Swapper is the most brainy and was my favourite thematically, and Teslagrad I thought had a more fast-paced feel, and oh my god that final boss. And the one that rotates... I'm not saying they were ingenius or anything, but just so pretty and fun. I think value-for-money wise Teslagrad is probably on par with Swapper, so straight-up-cheapness isn't hugely important to me. I loved Swapper but I'd be more likely to replay Teslagrad (and it has another ending you can work for).

My favourite though... drat that's hard. They're all good, and they're all for slightly different wants. I want the devs for Teslagrad to get money as I think they made a really good game and it could make the difference between their studio surviving, but I would of course say to go buy it on PC where it's bloody cheap unless money isn't a big deal. It was like a few bucks on GoG the other day.
I went back for the proper ending in Teslagrad, which I thought was pretty cool and didn't feel like a waste of time. I didn't really like how they make you restart the game in The Swapper to see the other ending, I got about halfway through again and then I just looked it up on youtube.

I guess the problem is I had some hype built up for Teslagrad, whereas Stealth Inc.2 and The Swapper were not on my radar at all.
Teslagrad would be an all time favourite for me if it just had a little more polish to get rid of some technical flaws and maybe a little more content, I really loved the setting and mechanics but I think there was some untapped potential.

Essentially, all 3 games are great

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

JoeGlassJAw posted:

From my linked thread :

"Yes this was helpful. Thanks!
when I purchased the 16gb game a page came up saying I had only 10 gb and that I didn't have room to download the newly purchased 16gb game. I went to my storage menu and it said I only had 10gb available. But when I went to the downloads window it showed the game is downloading. It works but jeez what a clunky mess.
thanks again!"

So have you checked your Download Management?

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

What do you mean 'no performing monkeys'?

.TakaM posted:

I went back for the proper ending in Teslagrad, which I thought was pretty cool and didn't feel like a waste of time. I didn't really like how they make you restart the game in The Swapper to see the other ending, I got about halfway through again and then I just looked it up on youtube.

I guess the problem is I had some hype built up for Teslagrad, whereas Stealth Inc.2 and The Swapper were not on my radar at all.
Teslagrad would be an all time favourite for me if it just had a little more polish to get rid of some technical flaws and maybe a little more content, I really loved the setting and mechanics but I think there was some untapped potential.

Essentially, all 3 games are great

Yeh I really try to know as little about a game as possible if I think I might play it. I'm the same with films. It's a double-edged sword because I literally got a free copy of Angry Bunnies without realising it was an Angry Birds clone, which is pretty stupid.

I really love the Wii U as my platform for indie gaming, I hope they get to the point where they can treat simultaneous releases as a good business strategy, because choice is awesome and I'd rather not all the games I play be 50-75% cheaper on Steam at time of purchase.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Well I went and moved all my pertinent game data to a flash drive, wiped the console and started from scratch. I have 25gb of free space now. :iiam: Maybe it was the active download thing. I've only had the console for like a week so I guess I panicked a bit. It's all good now though. Thanks for the quick responses everybody!

Hub Dirt
Apr 26, 2008
Anyone else have problems with the Wii U not reading certain discs? The three games my son plays most often, SMB 3DW, Mario Kart 8 and SMBU all get a disc can't be read error even after cleaning both the discs and the lens. All my other discs read fine, even old Wii discs.
All three of the unreadable discs seem fine under close inspection. No scratches or smudges. Maybe I'm just poo poo out of luck and they're broken.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
Do we know yet if the amiibos aee region locked?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
They are not.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I just beat Bayonetta. I remember when I was blown away by the set pieces Bayonetta 2 demo, which was actually just standard fare for what went down in the last third of the first game.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Seriously though, who came up with the scenarios in the last third of Bayonetta? I surfed on a broken airplane (which somehow controlled absolutely perfectly), rode and fought on a bunch of missiles and falling buildings, and then I loving headbutted a sky scraper at my (?)dad right before I shot lipstick through his skull. Then my frenemy rode a motorcycle up a rocket into outer space to free me so that I could kick the poo poo out of (?)god then pummel her into the sun from the edge of the solar system with my hair.

What a masterpiece of creativity and stunning execution. Bravo, Platinum. I skipped it on PS3 because the demo didn't impress me and the PS3 version sucked, but I'm glad I got to experience it. No clue how they can top this - and I heard the climax of B2 isn't as nuts - but everyone raved about the sequel so I can't wait to start it. The difficulty does ruin the momentum and make some of the coolest things I have ever seen seem commonplace after repeating them over and over, but I have been playing games for almost 25 years and never been so blown away by a game, not to mention time after time for hours in a row.

If anyone owns a WiiU and doesn't own these games, you should go buy the combo pack. Treat yourself. I think there's a deal at Toys R Us tomorrow for WiiU games, so you can get Smash and Bayonetta 1+2 for about $100.

And don't click the spoilers if you haven't played the game. The beginning is slow and story never makes much sense, but it's worth it in the end, even more so if you go in fresh. Trust me when I say that it is bonafide :frogsiren:.

the truth fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Nov 21, 2014

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Even if the climax isn't as good as Bayonetta 1, Bayonetta 2 improves on 1 pretty much everywhere else so you are going to have a blast.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Make no mistake, Bayonetta 2 is great and improves on a ton of poo poo and is gorgeous. But yeah the final battle doesn't come anywhere NEAR as utterly ridiculous and insane the first game's final battle is. That's the only real complaint I can really have about the game though

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Bayonetta 2's so much better it's ridiculous even if it doesn't have the post-credits dance off like the original.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I haven't finished 2 yet, but I thought 1's final boss was kind of bad. Don't get me wrong, the setpieces before and after the boss are great, but I hate every second of the actual fight.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

TheRam posted:

Alternatively here are some other things we can talk about :
[list][*] I heard Shigeru Miyamoto is 62, he seems like a fun guy - do you think he'd like it if his friends referred to him as "shiggs"? I hope he lives forever.

Guys do you remember that time Miyamoto was taking questions and some guy from some Nintendo site called him "Miyamoto-sama" then got laughed at because his Japanese was so bad that they didn't know what he was saying?

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

zolthorg posted:

In any other century would have been a Kirby game, still gonna pre-load it
Actually, they said Captain Toad was originally conceived as a Zelda game.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
Guys, 15 minutes till smash drops.

Head to the ssb thread and post your nnids :)

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Uh hey I just tried to open the predownloaded smash its updating now ten minutes early.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
A local store has a WiiU Deluxe priced at $249 CAD. The sale's on for 2 days only. Is this a decent deal, or are there better prices out there?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

greatn posted:

Uh hey I just tried to open the predownloaded smash its updating now ten minutes early.

Yup I'm getting an update too.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
:siren: SMASH IS LIVE :siren:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
This last 1 min of download taking forever.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

These last couple hours of waiting for my mail are going to be the wooooorst. :argh:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

ChaosArgate posted:

These last couple hours of waiting for my mail are going to be the wooooorst. :argh:

Just do what I'm gonna do. Have a nice night's sleep, wake up have good breakfast, go get a haircut, buy some lunch and then maybe it'll be there when you return.

If not, THEN despair.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
Im so happy right now I could cry

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
WTF, Smash 4 Wii U requires an SD card to save snapshots!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

FPzero posted:

Just do what I'm gonna do. Have a nice night's sleep, wake up have good breakfast, go get a haircut, buy some lunch and then maybe it'll be there when you return.

If not, THEN despair.

I've got a paper to write and an LP to record, I think I'll be fine.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Playing Smash with the gamepad right now and the rumble is EXTREMELY LOUD and constant. Can I turn this off or at least switch to the pro controller while still having headphones plugged into the gamepad for audio?

Edit: Okay cool, I can do both :)

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Nov 21, 2014

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~
:coolfish::3::coolfish:

Took advantage of the Toys R Us Smash + Amiibo deal. Just got an email saying that it's being processed.

"You can expect to receive your items be 12/02/14 and 12/05/14"

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Aperture Priority posted:

Took advantage of the Toys R Us Smash + Amiibo deal. Just got an email saying that it's being processed.

"You can expect to receive your items be 12/02/14 and 12/05/14"

:negative:

Same but I also got a second email saying my Samus amiibo was delayed!

• Locked thread