Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Recoil will never be reprinted (missing nonland), but it is high time to see the updated version, yeah.

meanolmrcloud posted:

Leagues were incredibly fun back in the day. Basically pay for a sealed pool and then you can play unlimited matches with it. I'm really not shocked they haven't brought them back because it dosen't fit their plan to squeeze every dime from the players, but drat is it good value.
Yeah it shouldn't be shocking at all, it was a compelling feature they dropped for what appears to be no reason and it is pretty evident it just doesn't fit into their model. I don't really understand why they're so specific about how people put money into the product, given leagues appeal to a completely different community, but it is evident they have that attitude.

I'm pretty sure it is going to end up as a 5 matches done in one, asynchronous sealed pool that only pays out positive if you go 4-1 or better. No additional matches, no additional boosters, one pool for each limited set up, and probably a "casual" version that does phantom and only pays out positive if you straight 5-0, assuming it doesn't pay out points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

I honestly don't think you will see a cards in a modern-legal set ever refer to turning a non-creature face down. Its just too rules cumbersome. There are literally two cards ever printed that allow you to turn creatures without morph face-down.

There are also two non-creature morphs?:shrug:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

TheKingofSprings posted:

You cannot turn them face down.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I should add an attendum that my older brother played Invasion/Masque UB Control almost exclusively when we were young so perhaps that's why I associate those cards and him beating me so often as evil. :argh:

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Angry Grimace posted:

You cannot turn them face down.

Sure, but if the game can handle creatures flipping between face-up and face-down (e.g. Morph and Ixidron) and can handle creatures becoming noncreatures and vice-versa (e.g. Ensoul Artifact, various DFCs, the Future Sight nonceature morphs), surely the game can handle noncreature permanents flipping between face-up and face-down? The whole doesn't seem any more rules-complex than the sum of the individual parts.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Three :eng101:

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

En Fuego posted:

re: Stupid poo poo you did as a kid playing MTG

I remember the revised editions of cards like Frozen Shade only had the text 'B: +1/+1' so we just played the cards as 'This gets +1/+1 forever' ... Having 100/101 Frozen Shades was a norm. When presented with other Shades from other sets, we chose to say 'WELL THIS ONE IS OBVIOUSLY DIFFERENT!'

My favorite stupid thing we did when we first started was not understand that "sacrifice" pretty loving obviously requires you to sacrifice YOUR creature. Honest to God, for a while we played where a sacrifice effect could be used with any creature on the board. This was in the Legends era, but none of us had enough money for tons of packs or cool cards, so Life Chisel was the biggest beneficiary of this misunderstanding. "I'll sac your Serra Angel, gain four life."

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

When I was in middle school we thought you could put as much land in play as you wanted down on your first turn.

I have no idea how this started and I was really confused when I picked the game up years later with people who actually knew how to play.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

When I was starting out we played decks that were 200-card piles of everything we owned, but we thought the advice that a deck should have 20 lands was a rule that a deck must have exactly 20 lands. We played so many Borderposts and Obelisks to make up for it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Reene posted:

When I was in middle school we thought you could put as much land in play as you wanted down on your first turn.

We did that along w/ drawing 2 cards a turn. It was degenerate.

We knew the actual rules, but people wanted to play their big monsters quick. Otoh, the Stack was this mysterious apocryphal rule half of the people refused to believe and no one really understood - granting every instant Split Second kinda added to the degeneracy.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Reene posted:

I have no idea how this started and I was really confused when I picked the game up years later with people who actually knew how to play.

When I started(sometime around Ice Age) this was the popular belief where I was as well, I think a lot of people believed this in early Magic.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sarcastro posted:

My favorite stupid thing we did when we first started was not understand that "sacrifice" pretty loving obviously requires you to sacrifice YOUR creature. Honest to God, for a while we played where a sacrifice effect could be used with any creature on the board. This was in the Legends era, but none of us had enough money for tons of packs or cool cards, so Life Chisel was the biggest beneficiary of this misunderstanding. "I'll sac your Serra Angel, gain four life."

When I started playing 3 and a half years ago my friend who taught me how to play told me you could equip equipment to opponent's creatures.

I was playing with 4 Skullclamp.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Spiderdrake posted:

I'm pretty sure it is going to end up as a 5 matches done in one, asynchronous sealed pool that only pays out positive if you go 4-1 or better. No additional matches, no additional boosters, one pool for each limited set up, and probably a "casual" version that does phantom and only pays out positive if you straight 5-0, assuming it doesn't pay out points.
What you are describing is awesome though? Depending on the prize support.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Sometimes you get a 14th pick Grafted Wargear and a 10th pick tangle wire and you think, OK, I'm blue aggro.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

What you are describing is awesome though?
I was being realistic and not speaking with traditional goon hyperbole, so yeah, it probably will have market.

If you think that is as good as leagues, or that it should take greater than five years to develop though, then I don't know what to say. 'Awesome' is not how I would describe it.

I Love You! posted:

Sometimes you get a 14th pick Grafted Wargear and a 10th pick tangle wire and you think, OK, I'm blue aggro.
To be fair there is a large pool of players who have absolutely no idea how good those cards are.

Like you put the wargear on the talrand drake token and they're still like "I don't get it?"

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Sure, but if the game can handle creatures flipping between face-up and face-down (e.g. Morph and Ixidron) and can handle creatures becoming noncreatures and vice-versa (e.g. Ensoul Artifact, various DFCs, the Future Sight nonceature morphs), surely the game can handle noncreature permanents flipping between face-up and face-down? The whole doesn't seem any more rules-complex than the sum of the individual parts.

Its not that the game's rules can't handle it, its that making the game more and more complex is a good way to not have new players. If you turn something face down without a way to turn it face-up its confusing.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Nov 21, 2014

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Rinkles posted:

We did that along w/ drawing 2 cards a turn. It was degenerate.

We knew the actual rules, but people wanted to play their big monsters quick. Otoh, the Stack was this mysterious apocryphal rule half of the people refused to believe and no one really understood - granting every instant Split Second kinda added to the degeneracy.

It certainly makes the game...interesting.

Another thing I did with my first regular Magic group was a version of the game we called Crazy Magic. Because everyone had shittons of commons or other useless cards stretching all the way back to Arabian Nights, we'd grab up a bunch of random selections from a box, remove anything with land/mana abilities, and make one giant library everyone drew from. Everyone shared the same library and graveyard, and as there were no lands, to get mana you had to place a card from your hand face down and you could tap that for any color, though you could never get that card back.

It owned, especially in a big group. I kind of wish I could do that again with new people.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

I honestly don't think you will see a card refer to turning a non-creature face down because it is simply too cumbersome in terms of the rules. There are literally two cards ever printed that allow you to turn creatures without morph face-down and zero that allow you to do so with a permanent without morph.

You have to realize Morph itself (due to stackless-flipping and potential for cheating) was considered to be potentially too cumbersome to be reintroduced into Standard.

You can construct all sorts of strange scenarios where things get turned over that wouldn't normally flip. Kormus bell, urborg, and Ixidron will flip all lands, for instance. Now I kinda want to do this.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

The weirdest thing we did when I started playing was drawing 7 new cards once our hands were empty.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
At M15 Game Day I played against a guy in his early 20s with a pretty complete UB Mill Deck and I think about 3 times I had to explain that the dual lands that actually say "tap to add U or B" don't actually mean "you can tap this to play an Island or Swamp from your hand" because he kept trying to do that.

I'm not sure how he got enough cards together and played the game enough to get to an organized tournament with a constructed deck and didn't understand the "one land per turn" part of the rules.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Boco_T posted:

I'm not sure how he got enough cards together and played the game enough to get to an organized tournament with a constructed deck and didn't understand the "one land per turn" part of the rules.

"How did you hear about Friday Night Magic?"

......From a sealed event.
......From MTGO.
......From the Wizards of the Coast website.
......From a fellow player.
X....From a promotional insert in a booster pack.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Boco_T posted:

At M15 Game Day I played against a guy in his early 20s with a pretty complete UB Mill Deck and I think about 3 times I had to explain that the dual lands that actually say "tap to add U or B" don't actually mean "you can tap this to play an Island or Swamp from your hand" because he kept trying to do that.

My own variant was a person who thought that it meant putting a land token into play. So rather than playing one from his hand or searching his library like some folks here have reported, he just used a die to keep track of the number of extra Forests he had in play. :downs:

The whole switch in basic land textblock templating is so stupid because, however rare they may be in the grand scheme of things, it's a nonzero number that is greater than the presumably lesser number caused by actually being consistent. Is there a piece of market research that shows that the text "T: Add G to your mana pool" causes fuses to blow in the target demographic's brains?

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Honestly, the easiest way to teach the concept is to have a Mancala board and WUBRG-colored glass beads and be like "whenever you tap a land I'm gonna give you a glass bead that matches the color of the mana you just made." Then just have them pay with the beads. Then, after a few games be like "man these beads sure are a hassle, right? Let's just forego them and just assume we both know how many beads you're spending."

e: the Mancala board is the 'mana pool.'

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Yeah like in abstract it is understandable that you might be mistaken into thinking "pile of lands" is your "mana pool" especially when those cards say "add U" and look that basic land has nothing on it but that U symbol. I just wonder how many times he'd played before and with who and what kind of bias confirming echo chamber conversation they had.

Then again, do the Duels games have anything but basics in them?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

jassi007 posted:

Josh Silvestri posted a great article on CFB about judge stories. http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/silvestri-says-judge-tales/ One of the stories he tells seems relavent to the chat from a couple days ago slow rounds.

At GP NJ there were a lot of stories swapped. One of my favorites:
Match slips come in. There's a problem-- these two were playing the wrong opponent! It's 11 minutes into the round, so double match loss, and double match loss for their two partners. Except... they're sitting next to the right spot. And the two players sitting in the wrong seats have the exact same name. Oops. And we can't treat that as the correct pairing and fix it in WER because they're in different pods.
That one earned an 18m time extension.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
drat, I had no idea mana pool wasn't some billiard-based side game. I just assumed it was another failure of MTGO to implement it.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
People keep letting me draft mono red in Cube. I have yet to NOT 3-0 when that happens.

I hate red, usually, but free wins are free wins.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Another one I find that's incredibly prevalent, although a bit understandable because it used to work that way.
I tap my birds or paradise for blue, OK I bolt in response and you get no mana.
As recently as last year at least 5 of the regulars at my FNM were playing this way.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I don't think mana abilities ever used the stack, right?

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Wouldn't matter if they did, once an ability is on the stack destroying the object that placed it on the stack isn't going to stop it from resolving.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Wouldn't matter if they did, once an ability is on the stack destroying the object that placed it on the stack isn't going to stop it from resolving.

Didn't it stop them in the old rules? I seem to remember killing a Royal Assassin would save your guy, for example.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Ciprian Maricon posted:

It would matter, because Stifle exists.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

suicidesteve posted:

Didn't it stop them in the old rules? I seem to remember killing a Royal Assassin would save your guy, for example.

I'm 99% sure that was never actually true. Although, I definitely thought it was true for years as well. My friends and I had many a staredown with us both having an Avatar of Woe in play, because we also though that summoning sickness only prevented attacking, not playing tap abilities.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
So I had a bad day with Sidisi Whip, I lost to two UW Heroic decks. I beat everything else I played.

How the hell can I beat this stupid heroic deck?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Keiya posted:

Not really. You could never stifle a mana ability even if it did use the stack, it's even written on the card.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Errant Gin Monks posted:

So I had a bad day with Sidisi Whip, I lost to two UW Heroic decks. I beat everything else I played.

I played that deck last night for a while. It is so bad that every win feels very satisfying. I think the answer is drown, since you're in black. Though if they've accumulated counters and can also keep up protection you're probably done.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Big enough blockers (nighthowler) and enchantment removal?

It is a hard match for you though due to it being rock to your scissors, targeted removal is pointless against it. Mardu for example destroys it due to crackling doom.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Not really. You could never stifle a mana ability even if it did use the stack, it's even written on the card.

You misunderstand what a mana ability is. A mana ability:

1) Generates mana upon resolving
2) Does not target
3) Is not a loyalty ability

If it doesn't follow all those rules, it's not a mana ability, it uses the stack, and it can be stifled.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Keiya posted:

It still wouldn't matter because Stifle can't counter a mana ability.

Kabanaw posted:

If it doesn't follow all those rules, it's not a mana ability, it uses the stack, and it can be stifled.

We're specifically talking about mana abilities though so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
The hell I do. Follow the conversation.

field balm posted:

I don't think mana abilities ever used the stack, right?

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Keiya posted:

No one on planet earth has mistaken Royal Assassin's activated ability for a mana ability.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Nov 21, 2014

• Locked thread