Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Roargasm posted:

Tangentially related, but if somebody can teach me how to automatically generate or update distribution groups from Google OUs with Powershell I would be forever grateful. Right now I download the filtered user list into a CSV and copy paste the addresses into the Google group add dialog (max 25 at a time, so there MUST be a better way)

I don't know about powershell, but there's GAM, written in python. It does a reasonably good job. You can probably script calls to it without too much trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

poo poo that pisses me off: coworkers that come in to work while super sick. Nothing you do is that important; stay the gently caress at home.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Anyone else getting hit by some weird AT&T routing/switching problem? I'm in the pacific northwest and can't ping or route to two of my suppliers in the Southeast, and haven't been able to since Monday. Which is kind of important because we can't hit their API to get stock levels.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Scaramouche posted:

Anyone else getting hit by some weird AT&T routing/switching problem? I'm in the pacific northwest and can't ping or route to two of my suppliers in the Southeast, and haven't been able to since Monday. Which is kind of important because we can't hit their API to get stock levels.

Message me, I can try from here, I am in Portland.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Sorry I misspoke; I know it's a routing issue, AT&T has confirmed it with both the suppliers and us.
https://downdetector.com/status/att/map/

Weird thing is my phone can reach it, just not my office hardline provider. I was asking if it was affecting anyone else. This is the URL I've been using for testing:
http://lafayettela.gov

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

psydude posted:

poo poo that pisses me off: coworkers that come in to work while super sick. Nothing you do is that important; stay the gently caress at home.

If I'm not paid for sick days then I will show the gently caress up unless I'm paid incredibly well already.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I found the oldest computer in our company, it is a 286 with a pair of 5.25" drives. It has a DOS3.3 disk, and another disk for the sign control software. They asked me to look at while I was on site, I poked around on it for a bit, but it looks like the board that makes a serial connection to the sign is broke, or the sign is. I estimate the PC was installed in the late 80s, or maybe really early 90's, I didn't look through the documentation to find out.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

psydude posted:

This is more a problem of management. Either they're being too strict and requiring people to be in regardless of illness (or requiring a dr. note) or they're not telling people who are sick to gently caress off.

At a previous job I ended up coming down with a sinus infection. They wouldn't let me off to recover without firing me so I ended up going in through the entire week. Then the CEO had to take a week off because he caught it from me. Karma, I guess :v:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Sylink posted:

If I'm not paid for sick days then I will show the gently caress up unless I'm paid incredibly well already.

He's a federal employee. He can take as many sick days ss he wants.

Otherwise, we work from home if we're sick and can't take PTO.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Looks like everyone spent about 90 minutes troubleshooting or going around in circles this morning before finally calling me. Took me five minutes to fix it.

Pissing me off - how am I going to communicate this in job interviews to give myself a 40% salary bump, while stressing that I'm a rock star, not that my coworkers are useless?

In my current role, I'm the subject matter expert in awesomeapplication. My coworkers escalate their difficult problems in beercrafting to me for expedient resolutions.

...I'm sure someone here can make that better but hey, it's a start.

Someone in here or in working in IT mentioned asking for a problem they're dealing with currently and troubleshooting / brainstorming resolutions on the spot.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Today I discovered one of my access points has been offline since mid-August. The admin who handled wireless stuff left around early September. He was supposed to check up on the wireless controllers every now and then and see if there were any APs that had problems.
The downed AP's slack was being taken up by one that was ~30 yards away behind three walls, so the office was getting some signal, but enough to make iPads bitchy about connecting.
Since the other admin was...removed, we got access to some passwords we didn't have prior, and I opened up the ZoneDirector to try and troubleshoot some wireless problems at the high school (half a dozen are on mesh mode despite being plugged in, so that's probably the issue), and discovered my lone disconnected AP. Turns out someone had unplugged the damned PoE injector (probably to plug in a vacuum or something, since the wall-mount box for the network jack is hanging there broken).

I really, really hope we can start our rewiring projects soon. ~15-year-old copper usually terminated with a pair of 10baseT jacks run by teachers doesn't make for a good infrastructure.

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

Scaramouche posted:

Amazon. We do a lot of ecommerce and manage our own, and client feeds. This means we are updating several hundred thousand products a day via XML. Turns out one of our suppliers was doing an optimistic round-up on the gram weight of products when converting from DWT/Grains/Troy/CTW to grams. Normally this isn't a big deal, but when it's gold/platinum/diamonds you tend to want to be accurate for that kind of thing. So, we change the weights in the database, the hundreds of thousands of products are propagated out to Amazon/Nextag/TheFind/Shopping/Google/Sears/Walmart/etc. Except on Amazon the weights don't change for some reason. I have had a ticket open for >over month< asking why these weights won't update. They say :
"Hello - Your weight attribute is protected in the jewelry category, please submit a manual list of SKUs and their new weight"

(Jewelry is so weird and cultish on Amazon it might as well not be Amazon any more based on the rules/requirements) gently caress that I say, there's over 100,000 of them. They say okay, give us the FeedID of the upload that is changing weights. So I write them with the FeedIDs saying 'okay these are the ones that are changing the weights'. The response, after over a month, and 12 obvious back and forth emails on the case showing what had happened?

"Hello - Your weight attribute is protected in the jewelry category, please submit a manual list of SKUs and their new weight"

DID YOU EVEN LOOK AT THE loving CASE HISTORY YOU INCREDIBLE BUMWAD

As my colleague will testify, Amazon Marketplace turns me into a loving rage. The platform, as well as its API, is a total piece of loving poo poo.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

psydude posted:

What's pissing me off, funnily enough is having to come in while super sick. My attendance bonus makes up 1/10th of my wage. It gets taken away if I take a sick day.

I intentionally sneezed in the direction of my bosses office. gently caress that guy.

E: Also meetings.

"You must give the customer a time frame"
"We were explicitly told not to give a time frame"
"When?"
"Via email"
"When was the email sent"
"I don't know, its been a while"

*gets laughed at*

He admitted to me after that he remembers that rule but that was a year ago and he's changing the rule now. gently caress you man, couldn't you have just said that instead of laughing at me in front of the entire meeting?

dogstile fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 20, 2014

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

:argh: can't find any machines with a serial port

Need to search the attic for an old laptop.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

dogstile posted:

What's pissing me off, funnily enough is having to come in while super sick. My attendance bonus makes up 1/10th of my wage. It gets taken away if I take sick day.

Wow, that's super hosed up. Is that is a common thing?

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Any policy that encourages people to come in sick is pretty retarded, have that make up 10% of your pay, even more so.

Let me guess, no performance bonuses?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

:argh: can't find any machines with a serial port

Need to search the attic for an old laptop.

uh, usb->serial has existed for like, ever dude. Time to get with the 90's. :smug:

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

uh, usb->serial has existed for like, ever dude.

Unless you have one of the fake FTDI chips, in which case your usb serial might stop existing.

Fake edit: Also, unless you have a system that requires in-spec voltages in its serial comms.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Gounads posted:

Any policy that encourages people to come in sick is pretty retarded

We had our sick days come out of our PTO time until an issue with our CEO coming in with the flu two years ago.

Predictably, everyone in the office got the flu.

Sick time is now unlimited as long as you have a doctor's excuse for three or more days' absence.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Gounads posted:

Any policy that encourages people to come in sick is pretty retarded, have that make up 10% of your pay, even more so.

Let me guess, no performance bonuses?

You betcha.

Got a couple of interviews lined up, figured i'd mention that now. Going from a standard helpdesk/network tech role to a dedicated second line role. Making my career steps a little bit at a time rather than trying to make big jumps like I was doing before.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

dogstile posted:

You betcha.

Got a couple of interviews lined up, figured i'd mention that now. Going from a standard helpdesk/network tech role to a dedicated second line role. Making my career steps a little bit at a time rather than trying to make big jumps like I was doing before.

It's those second line positions that oftentimes lead into the salary-doubling mega jumps, so you're on the right track.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
I wouldn't consider that part of your salary at all. We get a $1500 bonus for not taking any sick days during the FY, but to be fair it's super important for our staff to be here every scheduled day and there is already a ton of built in vacation. It isn't brought to anybody's attention until the end of the year regardless

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Good god, it astounds me how people still act like children as adults and act so loving arrogant about menial poo poo. I was steaming all morning because someone pitched a bitch fit because the "Save and send" feature of excel wasn't working, and the sheer act of saving a document, attaching to a new email, and typing in the subject was deemed "Too much admin" with lots of expletives thrown in.

gently caress you rear end in a top hat, you can't even conceive of the mountain of bullshit admin exists in the world.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Lum posted:

Unless you have one of the fake FTDI chips, in which case your usb serial might stop existing.

Fake edit: Also, unless you have a system that requires in-spec voltages in its serial comms.

We have found USB -> serial adapters work with *most* things. Except they often don't translate all 9 serial pins. Which is ok since most devices don't use all 9 so it is only an issue with some special snow flake devices. Or you get one which seems to present itself as a different com port on each reboot.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

For cisco devices, ebay has you covered.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-RJ45-Ci...=item33941318ca

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

USB->Serial adaptors are terrible. They don't work, even the ones that people say do work.

I'll buy a PCI serial card before I'll buy another USB->Serial adaptor.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I just use the serial port header on my motherboard and a $2 backplate with a DE-9 port on it :smug:

Because my motherboard is oooold, of course.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sweevo posted:

USB->Serial adaptors are terrible. They don't work, even the ones that people say do work.

I'll buy a PCI serial card before I'll buy another USB->Serial adaptor.

I keep bringing these up, but when I lost my Keyspan USB -> Serial adapter I replaced it with a Brainboxes one:

http://www.brainboxes.com/product/us-101/1-port-rs232-usb-to-serial-adapter

I've never had a single issue on any serial kit. Even when the serial device was at the other end of 50m of Cat5e cable with the DB9 converters on the ends.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
The iPhone 6es have arrived!

One of them lasted a whole day before its screen got smashed :golfclap:

(I suggested we pay the £86 Apple repair fee so that we don't void the warranty and it means we get a proper replacement instead of some horrible Chinese knockoff from eBay that takes hours to fit and probably end up screwing up the home button and/or the earpiece and/or proximity sensor etc, the usual drill. Alas, I am not the IT manager, who immediately shot the idea down for a horrible £29 Chinese knockoff from eBay. Oh well, whatever.)

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
My record is 30 minutes from handing an iPhone out to a user to having it returned filled with coffee.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Kind of reminds me of when our helpdesk guys removed a virus from someone's computer and they reinfected it by visiting the same Indian movie site the original infection was from while walking away from the helpdesk. Total time for reinfection was less than a minute.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

In those situations it should be acceptable to replace the laptop with a notepad and pen, or an etch-a-sketch.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I'm taking a couple days off to relax because I'm comically overworked. I work directly for VIP users, and I have another member of my team covering my site, because it is the priority for coverage. Since our staffing was cut this would normally mean his own users just have to deal til he's back, unless it's an emergency; my boss wanted it covered so he insisted I let him put a helpdesk guy there to cover it. I gave him a shortlist of people I'd accept because the helpdesk people range from very good to borderline illiterate. He said okay.

I just got an email from the guy who is supposed to be there covering, because he wasn't told.

I really don't know how these people dress themselves.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Thanks Ants posted:

I keep bringing these up, but when I lost my Keyspan USB -> Serial adapter I replaced it with a Brainboxes one:

http://www.brainboxes.com/product/us-101/1-port-rs232-usb-to-serial-adapter

I've never had a single issue on any serial kit. Even when the serial device was at the other end of 50m of Cat5e cable with the DB9 converters on the ends.

thats a good thing to know.. a lot of my companies older devices are serial/ECP

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

guppy posted:

I really don't know how these people dress themselves.

That's a feeling I have a lot when thinking about our helpdesk team. They (and their managers) have been nudged so many times to do things like talking to each other, searching for previous tickets before just opening another one, ask for training on products that they struggle with, and actually put some detail into the ticket about what was done instead of closing it with a "works now!" comment.

I get really irritated with people who have absolutely no desire to improve either themselves or their practises.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

That's a feeling I have a lot when thinking about our helpdesk team. They (and their managers) have been nudged so many times to do things like talking to each other, searching for previous tickets before just opening another one, ask for training on products that they struggle with, and actually put some detail into the ticket about what was done instead of closing it with a "works now!" comment.

I get really irritated with people who have absolutely no desire to improve either themselves or their practises.

I have the exact opposite problem. I'm our helpdesk lead and one of the 2nd line techs. The HelpDesk is super eager, makes amazing tickets, and goes above and beyond to solve issues. Our 2nd line techs are losers and idiots. The HelpDesk guys now manage our encryption and build all of our desktop images, and have started to help manage gpo. 2nd level mostly just runs windows updates and sit on their hands.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
I'm on PTO all next week.

PM just sent a nastygram to me, my boss, director, and VP about how I declined a meeting for Monday of next week.

PTO is marked on calendar, so I can;t wait to see how this plays out.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Just had a new experience that many of you most likely have had, my team-lead sent out an email last night regarding work for a project she (literally) just assigned to me and a few other people.

This morning the PM sends out an email about the business leveraging new resources to further efforts and continue momentum blah blah blah.

Dude sounds like a douche and my team-lead (whom is NOT one to insult) said as much immediately after seeing the email.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

MF_James posted:

Just had a new experience that many of you most likely have had, my team-lead sent out an email last night regarding work for a project she (literally) just assigned to me and a few other people.

This morning the PM sends out an email about the business leveraging new resources to further efforts and continue momentum blah blah blah.

Dude sounds like a douche and my team-lead (whom is NOT one to insult) said as much immediately after seeing the email.

It's hard to find good PMs. This guy sounds like he's a newly minted MBA who has no idea what his actual job is. The job of a PM is to coordinate and manage expectations. It is not to update excel documents and forward emails from Team A to Team B. The PM should be evaluating whether or not Team A's concerns are within scope and addressing why it wasn't part of a requirements document, and who missed that req in the first place, and... Most PMs suck.

Grammar sidenote: "whom" is an object pronoun. You can and should use it if you would use him, her, or us. You shouldn't use it otherwise. You can substitute it with a non-interrogative pronoun to see if it sounds right. "him is NOT one to insult" -> don't use whom.

This isn't always intuitive, because English has rules even if we mostly say it doesn't as native speakers, so "To him did you send the ticket?" sounds wrong but "Did you send the envelope to him?" is fine. Same bit as above applies "to he" is obviously wrong, "to him" is right, -> "to whom".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

Thanks Ants posted:

Same here. I got hired 3 years ago into a desktop/laptop support role and it was hell. I did study, got certs, and got up to an server role. A lot of the people that was on my old team has either moved up like I have (or are in progress) or have since moved on to other positions.
There are still at least 3 people from my old team that have basically elected to not change their situation.