Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Is that not supposed to be a dead grot? Have I been wrong all these years?!?

Grot, monkey, they both fling poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009
I've been thinking that I want to try combining Cypher with some of the units from IA 13. Cypher, of course, has Shrouded, ATSKNF, Hit and Run, and Infiltrate - all of which means he can get a blob into advance position, help it stick, and mitigate at least part of the crappy saves inherent to Renegades and Heretics. However, I'm torn on where I should assign him -

A. 30 Renegade Militia with 6 Plasma Guns and Covenant of Nurgle or Covenant of Tzeentch. Not terribly flashy, but I can shove it into a ruin or forest and vomit out fire on everything that comes close. It's really just Cypher and Plasma Pals hanging out, with like 20ish extra wounds to help keep soak. Decent at area denial, I suppose. Nurgle provides a smidge more survivability while Tzeentch means I get stronger Overwatch when the inevitable assault comes. I can stack both if I want. Like 200ish points.
B. 50 Mutant Rabble with Covenant of Nurgle/Khorne/Slaanesh and an Enforcer with RAGE Injector. Covenants are 6+ FNP/Reroll Wounds First Round of CC/Fleet, respectively - they all have their ups and downs, though I am leaning towards Khorne or Slaanesh. I can basically Infiltrate and have an ensured assault turn 2, capable of mulching weaker units and tying up larger ones. Mutants with the RAGE Injector end up with 4 attacks on the charge, which can rapidly add up. Plus, I can always break free from assault with Hit and Run to risk additional assaults (and further uses of Khorne or RAGE) if I want, and I can stack any two of the above Covenants. Around 200 points.
C. 50 Plague Zombies. 4+ FNP default, along with Slow and Purposeful and Fearless. Pretty survivable as a result of the FNP combined with Cypher's Shrouded - takes like 7 Bolter shots to put one dude down. They're not going to kill anything, but if I can get the assault off on turn 2, I can tie up almost any unit they hit for the rest of the game. Can't do poo poo to vehicles, though. 150 points on the nose.

I'm leaning towards the Plague Zombies, since they are cheap as chips and don't need too much support to accomplish their noble goal of "flail at the shooty dudes for awhile." I recognize that there are builds that will make a mess of this (Wave Serpents zapping dudes left and right, Knights rolling straight through blobs, Markerlights letting fatty hits obliterate my dudes through Shrouded and Feel No Pain) but I also feel that it has potential - even if it is simply forcing my opponent to choose between being hemmed in or assaulted and blazing away at more destructive units on the other side of the field.

(As an aside, options A and C have to be done by making Renegades and Heretics my Primary Detachment and then taking Cypher's formation to gain access to him. That's no big deal, though - I can just take 5 Chosen, give them Flamers, and have them borrow an Arvus Lighter or Valkyrie.)

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
I bought a bunch of Kasrkin, and got some extras in the box, that the PO probably didn't know even were. one of them i couldn't really recognize.

After 5 minutes with a stiff brush and some denatured alcohol, i had this

It's the commander from the forgeworld cadian HQ kit! i need to attack him with a toothbrush to get the very last remnants off of him tho.

This jolly fella was also in there, and i guess i kinda have to buy a squad of tallarn now.

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"
Random question: how easy is it to magnetize the plastic Ogryn kit to allow swapping between loadouts?

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I'm watching someone teach a new player how to play.

He has generously loaned some intro marines to the prospective player, and is now sweeping the guy with Trukkboyz and klaws.

The new player does not look enthused.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

WAR FOOT posted:

I'm watching someone teach a new player how to play.

He has generously loaned some intro marines to the prospective player, and is now sweeping the guy with Trukkboyz and klaws.

The new player does not look enthused.

Hams are bad at social interaction? :eyepop:

Unrelated, looking over the formations from the Baal book again, the spore mine one actually looks exactly like what my assault-oriented Tyranids needs to distract gunlines for a turn or two. Now to find the cheapest Mucolid-lookalike... :v:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Questions about Chaos marks and how they work. Are you allowed to mix chaos marks if you are fielding a chapter that worships one god e.g. Emperor's Children or do you have to go with one that supports chaos undivided like the Black Legion? If you did go undivided and had a chaos lord and a sorcerer could you give say the Mark of Khorne to the lord and the Mark of Slaanesh to the sorcerer? Am I right in thinking you have to have particular marks if you want to field particular units i.e. Mark of Slaanesh for noise marines and Mark of Nurgle for plague marines. Lastly if you can mix marks then could you have a lord with Mark of Nurgle and a sorcerer with Mark of Slaanesh and be able to field both plague and noise marines?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Ultragonk posted:

Questions about Chaos marks and how they work. Are you allowed to mix chaos marks if you are fielding a chapter that worships one god e.g. Emperor's Children or do you have to go with one that supports chaos undivided like the Black Legion? If you did go undivided and had a chaos lord and a sorcerer could you give say the Mark of Khorne to the lord and the Mark of Slaanesh to the sorcerer? Am I right in thinking you have to have particular marks if you want to field particular units i.e. Mark of Slaanesh for noise marines and Mark of Nurgle for plague marines. Lastly if you can mix marks then could you have a lord with Mark of Nurgle and a sorcerer with Mark of Slaanesh and be able to field both plague and noise marines?

Playing a particular warband/army doesn't prevent or force you to use a particular Mark.

Certain units (the Plague/Noise Marines, Thousand Sons, Berserkers) already come with a certain Mark built in and figured into their statline, and thus are unable to purchase other Marks (No Berserkers with Mark of Tzeench, for example). Aside from that, you can take as many or few Marks of any types in your army list as you like - and yes, even if you're playing a full-on Khorne army, nothing rules-wise prevents you from plonking in a Sorcerer with, say, Mark of Nurgle in there.

The only 'real' limitation is that characters that have a certain Mark are prevented from joining a unit with a Mark other than their own. So the Sorcerer in the example above couldn't join a unit of Khorne Berserkers, as the Sorcerer has the Mark of Nurgle and the Berserkers have a Mark of Khorne. However, a Sorcerer with no Mark can freely join the same unit of Berserkers, or the Nurgle Sorcerer can join a unit of regular Chaos Space Marines with no mark at all (or a Mark of Nurgle). Abaddon's Mark of Chaos Undivided basically counts as a wild card, so he can join any unit with any mark on it, or no mark whatsoever.

Edit: You can field cult (Plague/Noise Marines, 1Ksons, berserkers) in any Chaos MArine army - as elites. Bringing along a Lord with a Mark of Nurgle, Slaanesh or Khorne unlocks that particular god's cult as a troops choice (and is generally seen as the smart thing to do, if you intend to play lots of that unit). Unlocking Thousand Sons for troops takes a Sorcerer with Mark of Tzeench. So yes, if you absolutely wanted to play Plague and Noise Marines as troops, you could bring two Lords, one with the Mark of Nurgle, the other with the Mark of Slaanesh.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Nov 21, 2014

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
/\/\/\
:argh:

Ultragonk posted:

Marks of Chaos can be applied in any way you choose, the only limiting factor being that having a Mark restricts which units a marked model can join (i.e. a model cannot join a unit that contains a Mark other then its own). If you give different Marks to different Lords, you gain the benefits of both in terms of which units now count as Troops.

No Chaos Space Marine model/unit may join a Chaos Daemon model/unit because they lack the Daemonic Instability rule. I just bring that up because CSM and CDs are obvious allies and this question often comes up.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Huge thanks to both of you. That really clears things up for me.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Von Humboldt posted:

I've been thinking that I want to try combining Cypher with some of the units from IA 13. Cypher, of course, has Shrouded, ATSKNF, Hit and Run, and Infiltrate - all of which means he can get a blob into advance position, help it stick, and mitigate at least part of the crappy saves inherent to Renegades and Heretics. However, I'm torn on where I should assign him -

*snip*
As far as A goes, I'm not terribly enthused- Shrouded is great and all, but if you're trying to build a firebase, there's better ways to do it. B looks a lot better, I think- go with Covenant of Khorne and you can take maximum advantage of Hit and Run to bounce in and out of fights; if you're really sneaky, it's possible to get a guy with Zealot in there to give them rerolls to hit as well, so you're basically murdering most things you swing at. C has some possibilities as a scoring unit, but as a combat unit it's lackluster; the inability to Run is actually pretty problematic for them. B also has the advantage of being able to get the most support for other elements work into it (Meltaguns, Meltabombs) to handle units that would otherwise be a problem.

Cypher is a very neat tool; while, sadly, he usually works better for Imperial players, Chaos gets some useful options for him in their new book. If you're looking at Plasma do remember that you start with no armor save to speak of, though- every '1' on the dice is basically a dead dude.

Drake_263 posted:

Certain units (the Plague/Noise Marines, Thousand Sons, Berserkers) already come with a certain Mark built in and figured into their statline, and thus are unable to purchase other Marks (No Berserkers with Mark of Tzeench, for example).

This is bullshit. I want back the days when we could give out Berzerkers the Mark of Slaanesh for +1 Attack. loving Games Workshop.
:goonsay:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Had no idea this had actually been released.

http://victoriaminiatures.highwire.com/product/apc-wheel-and-suspension-kit
I suddenly have this huge urge to order a Taurox.
$28 including shipping for that kit, ow.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Nov 21, 2014

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Cooked Auto posted:

$ for that kit, ow.

This pretty much summarizes Victoria Miniatures for me.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Cooked Auto posted:

Buy these guys as well ($35)

and get free shipping.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

PierreTheMime posted:

This pretty much summarizes Victoria Miniatures for me.

Yeah pretty much, I've glanced at their stuff numerous times before as there is some neat stuff there but the prices always tend to kill any interest I might have. Especially when there might also be some extra costs from shipping overseas as well.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Cooked Auto posted:

Yeah pretty much, I've glanced at their stuff numerous times before as there is some neat stuff there but the prices always tend to kill any interest I might have. Especially when there might also be some extra costs from shipping overseas as well.

Spend $50 get free shipping globally.

I love to see people balk at Victoria's stuff but yet they line up to spend $50+ for 1-3 of the new kit from GW.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

I love to see people balk at Victoria's stuff but yet they line up to spend $50+ for 1-3 of the new kit from GW.

I know you can do that. It's virtually impossible to miss that banner at the top mentioning that.

Heck I even balk at that because I'm horribly stingy about my money due to being unemployed and having no income.
That and they haven't released a single kit that interests me so far due to being an IG man at heart.
Last kit I bought was an Armoured Fist box that I still haven't bothered to paint up when the new IG codex came out.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Indolent Bastard posted:

I'm all for people supporting independent sculptors, but they are ultimately a vanity item for a product from another company. The "original" model kits they are replacing are generally cheaper and often offer more bitz and options than the kits Victoria sells. I was going to take a screen cap of the 10-man IG/AM-variant resin sprues and compare them to the GW equivalent, but decided it was too much effort for a minor point. Bare in mind GW can afford to offer more for less because they're a multimillion dollar company with huge production support and design teams.

It's kind of laughable to discuss saving money while I'm buying ridiculous luxury plastic pieces for my imaginary space wargame, but I tend to like the current GW models and am not going to buy alternative sets for even more money when less expensive ones will do and are the accepted standard. I will occasionally buy a giant bag of heads or other bitz for swaps, but completely unique resin kits is just not financially a good deal.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Apparently my copy of conquest shipped yesterday, which is cool.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I just got it in my hands. The data sheets are really nice. Thick and double-sided. The poster is very nice and begs to be framed.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
post the whole book tia

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I was inspired by Dimachaeron kitbash seen a few pages back, so I took my old tyrannofex that hasn't seen the table in over a year, and took out my box of Tyranid bits, and this is what I came up with.

He aint pretty and not my best conversion, but I think it works pretty well.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Cooked Auto posted:

Had no idea this had actually been released.

Eh, if I were to spend $18 plus shipping on a detailed suspension kit, I'd want it to actually have a detailed suspension, not just some wishbones and rear axles coming out of a pair of undetailed blobs.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

PeterWeller posted:

Eh, if I were to spend $18 plus shipping on a detailed suspension kit, I'd want it to actually have a detailed suspension, not just some wishbones and rear axles coming out of a pair of undetailed blobs.

I work in the RC car industry (for one of the top 3 or 4 manufacturers in the world) and an actual suspension in that size would cost you much more than £18. Hell, you could have a fully drivable RC Taurox if you want (for a lot more than £18 though).

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

krushgroove posted:

I work in the RC car industry (for one of the top 3 or 4 manufacturers in the world) and an actual suspension in that size would cost you much more than £18. Hell, you could have a fully drivable RC Taurox if you want (for a lot more than £18 though).

I don't mean I want it to work. I just want it to actually have details. Put some cooling fins or other details on those differentials, have rear control arms and not just two axles, that sort of stuff.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

You could also just make it yourself with some plastic rods and a trip to the dollar store for some cheap wheels.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Pick up a FW Tauros Venator sometime if you wanna see a complicated suspension. It's kinda crazy.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

krushgroove posted:

I just got it in my hands. The data sheets are really nice. Thick and double-sided. The poster is very nice and begs to be framed.

Spill the deets about character creator and anything else that will make 40k hams wanna 30k ham

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

PeterWeller posted:

I don't mean I want it to work. I just want it to actually have details. Put some cooling fins or other details on those differentials, have rear control arms and not just two axles, that sort of stuff.

It's in a featureless curved box because the Omnissiah makes it work, you sound like a heretic

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

BULBASAUR posted:

Spill the deets about character creator and anything else that will make 40k hams wanna 30k ham

do this

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
New FAQ day:

http://www.blacklibrary.com/faqs-and-errata.html

Fateweaver can summon demons, Dark Angels nerfed again

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

NTRabbit posted:

It's in a featureless curved box because the Omnissiah makes it work, you sound like a heretic

You're confusing Imperial tech with Ork tech. Who's the heretic now? :colbert:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

PeterWeller posted:

You're confusing Imperial tech with Ork tech. Who's the heretic now? :colbert:

The one demanding the Techpriest explain how the vehicle works to him instead of uttering a short prayer to the machine spirit before getting onboard :colbert:

Also if someone can design, sculpt and cast these in their spare time, why the gently caress can't GW do it?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Those are loving awesome.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Codex Craftworld Eldar 7th edition confirmed next, to be released alongside the new Warp Spiders / Warp Baboons plastic dual kit. Call the presses, this poo poo is hot news.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

MasterSlowPoke posted:

New FAQ day:

Wow, they actually found something in the DA codex to nerf. I'm kinda impressed.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Boon posted:

Those are loving awesome.

Aren't they just? The Exarch even has alternative heads and guns

Yet the official models remain amorphous lumps of resin. 10 to 1 that when the first Eldar 'expansion' hits next year, the only new unit is an official conversion kit for the old jetbike or the vyper to make a jetbike Farseer and a jetbike Warlock, because it's easier to do that than remove them from the last codex, and there's not much doubt in my mind that it's going to be a Saim Hann themed expansion.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 21, 2014

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

MasterSlowPoke posted:

New FAQ day:

Dark Angels NerFAQ posted:

Page 104 – Land Raiders (all), options.
Replace the final option for each Land Raider with the following:
• May be upgraded to a Deathwing Vehicle (p40).........30 pts

Oh that sounds nice--

Dark Angels, pg. 99 posted:

• Deathwing Terminator Squads may select a Land Raider of any type as a Dedicated Transport (pg.104). This vehicle must be given the Deathwing Vehicle upgrade at additional cost.

Oh that hasn't been addressed in the FAQ? Wonderful. :smith:

Lion's Roar is barely useful now, and the PFG goes right back in the garbage can.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

NTRabbit posted:

The one demanding the Techpriest explain how the vehicle works to him instead of uttering a short prayer to the machine spirit before getting onboard :colbert:

Also if someone can design, sculpt and cast these in their spare time, why the gently caress can't GW do it?

Link? I tried a reverse GIS but it doesn't help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

JerryLee posted:

Link? I tried a reverse GIS but it doesn't help.

http://wcwdb.blogspot.com.au/2014/11/monofilament-fun-3rd-party-warp-spiders.html

It came up on my facebook wall from BolS, some guy painting 60k points of Eldar

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 21, 2014

• Locked thread