Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Got a stack of King Oscars in olive oil on sale at the local Giant. It was just 50 cents off the packs, but I couldn't resist...

What's the ideal hot sauce to put on them? I've been using cholula but I'd like something with a little more bite to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
Don't laugh, but recently I've been eating mine sauced with Korean kimchee base from the Asian supermarket. This stuff:

With the kochujang in it, it has a decent heat and it makes a nice change from sriracha.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

All dines, all the time.

Personally my favorite of the brands I've had. Is serious about being boneless/skinless and great to mash up and throw on rice with hotsauce and such. Every time I have dines in flavored sauce it pales in comparison (except for King Oscar, but man there's a lot of spines to deal with).

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FaradayCage posted:

I need to broaden my cacciatore experience. Where is this earlier you speak of?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3618400&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=48#post436961869

I used this recipe with a few minor changes: http://youtu.be/rYy79y1IIPg Must use thighs. The guy recommended a Borolo wine but I found an inexpensive Sangiovese works alright, same would probably be true for Chianti and Montepulciano. I also served it with some spaghetti on the side.

I also found out that my grocery store carries the olive oil and Mediterranean King Oscars. Gonna have to look for those spicy ones though, since I do like the smoked canned oysters packed in olive oil with a chile so I'm thinking that will cross over? Also :hfive: to the guy that mentioned smoked canned herring fillets.

Zeno-25 fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 19, 2014

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Zeno-25 posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3618400&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=48#post436961869

I used this recipe with a few minor changes: http://youtu.be/rYy79y1IIPg Must use thighs. The guy recommended a Borolo wine but I found an inexpensive Sangiovese works alright, same would probably be true for Chianti and Montepulciano. I also served it with some spaghetti on the side.

I also found out that my grocery store carries the olive oil and Mediterranean King Oscars. Gonna have to look for those spicy ones though, since I do like the smoked canned oysters packed in olive oil with a chile so I'm thinking that will cross over? Also :hfive: to the guy that mentioned smoked canned herring fillets.

Thanks. This recipe is now in my queue.

cyxx
Oct 1, 2005

Byon!

Not a Children posted:

What's the ideal hot sauce to put on them? I've been using cholula but I'd like something with a little more bite to it.

I don't like cholula because the 'dine flavor seems to overpower it and I can't taste anything. I personally prefer chipotle tabasco. Decent bite and really smokey

I need this

woon socket
Sep 30, 2011

by XyloJW
:rolleyes:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Nov 21, 2014

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I love Markov chain generated texts. Especially if they're using biochemistry papers.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

:agreed:

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
hola woon socket

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Sardines are best when you can absolutely taste and feel the spine.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Sardines are best when you can absolutely taste and feel the spine.

100% agreed on the bones, not keen at all on the fins

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

bonestructure posted:

100% agreed on the bones, not keen at all on the fins

Yeah, I find some of the cheaper brands have noticeable bits of scale and fin, which isn't really great. The bones add some nice crunch though.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
What has to happen for the 'Dine Crew to become a reality? I want to help.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Dr. Faustus posted:

What has to happen for the 'Dine Crew to become a reality? I want to help.

Someone brought up the idea of a gang tag for sardine posters a long time ago in this thread and a mod said no.

Lets Get Patchy
Aug 8, 2006
My old boss used to eat four cans of these things with a pound of bacon he microwaved, every day. Kinda ruined it for me.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Not a Children posted:

Got a stack of King Oscars in olive oil on sale at the local Giant. It was just 50 cents off the packs, but I couldn't resist...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sriracha_sauce

Edit: Not really a fan of the boneless/skinless; makes it seem kinda bland.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Sarge83 posted:

My old boss used to eat four cans of these things with a pound of bacon he microwaved, every day. Kinda ruined it for me.

:stonk:

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Keto for the keto god.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Keith Atherton posted:

Someone brought up the idea of a gang tag for sardine posters a long time ago in this thread and a mod said no.

Clearly we need to get a mod to come here and start eating dines. Then he'd see the light. :colbert:

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
Take it for what it's worth, but I just had my yearly physical and since I've been on the 'dines regular, my good cholesterol has shot up more than ten points (HDL 62.)

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i love cat food

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
sardines are fine but stop wanting a gang tag and stop saying 'dines'. some o fyou guys are just like the fags that ruined bacon and sriracha

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

sriracha isn't even all that good. It's good on like, pho, and stuff, but people abuse the poo poo out of it and it tramples everything.

Also most storebought bacon is poo poo. Gitchu some home cured home smoked slab bacon and it will change your life.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Haverchuck posted:

sardines are fine but stop wanting a gang tag and stop saying 'dines'. some o fyou guys are just like the fags that ruined bacon and sriracha

I wanted to argue with this, but I can't. I'm still waiting for the backspace and shift keys to regain their lost popularity, though.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Has this been posted yet?

http://thingsmybellylikes.com/2013/03/25/fishermans-eggs/

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
No, but I know what I'm having for breakfast tomorrow

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

doctorfrog posted:

I wanted to argue with this, but I can't. I'm still waiting for the backspace and shift keys to regain their lost popularity, though.

I like the spirit of the thread, I just dont want there to be 4 pages of sardine related t-shirts on thinkgeek.com

Peachy Nietzsche
Jul 26, 2007

This thread's like staring into the void.
I started reading this thread months ago because it screamed ridiculousness. I have since vowed to eat a tin a day to boost my health. Thank you sardine thread for showing me a better way.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

That's a lot of spines.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

lets talk about pickled herring for a bit

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

numberoneposter posted:

lets talk about pickled herring for a bit

I tried it for the first time when I was at CERN last month.

The first bite was awful. It gave me flashbacks to smelling dead, decomposing carp on the shores of Lake Michigan.

The rest wasn't much better, but I ate the whole thing regardless.

I got it again another day. I was prepared for the awfulness, so it didn't hit me as hard. I started to appreciate the other flavors that were going on.

By the third time I had it, I decided I liked it. I've been wanting to make rollmops ever since, but I can't find any fresh herring to work with.

I guess now's a good time to mention that CERN carries sardines in their vending machines:

I didn't get a chance to try 'em before leaving :(

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

I like to take toasted rye bread, load that sucker up with mayo, a couple of pickled herring fillets, top with onion, dill, and fresh cracked black pepper, open face style

also fish gotta swim so made sure you are drinking ice cold aquavit

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Haverchuck posted:

You 'dine the way you want, we'll 'dine the way we want. loving meme policeman, gently caress off.

Stocked up on KO's in OO and I'm gonna try some new preparations this weekend. I still have plenty of 'tines, tho, and I don't care who knows it. I've got plenty of rice-wine vinegar but I also have a fresh new bottle of Gator Sauce.

Also, I'm sad about the rejection of the gang tag. I've never wanted one until now. :(

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Haverchuck posted:

this

sardines are fine by themselves. we don't need a symbol to rally behind. sardines speak for themselves.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I am a manbaby retard, what is the best way to prevent flinging microscopic dine particles all over the counter when I daintily pull off the last lip of the tin?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Decrepus posted:

I am a manbaby retard, what is the best way to prevent flinging microscopic dine particles all over the counter when I daintily pull off the last lip of the tin?

don't? i just pull it off as far as is necessary to get all the dines out.

naem
May 29, 2011

Decrepus posted:

Lean over the sink and then drain the olive oil right there.

Then when your dines are laid on the toast with cream cheese and horseradish, lean over the sink again and take big messy bites and eat their yummy fins and spines and think about your dead dad and fishing

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Haverchuck posted:

I like the spirit of the thread, I just dont want there to be 4 pages of sardine related t-shirts on thinkgeek.com

Well, there's a zazzle page for everything, but: http://www.zazzle.com/sardines+gifts

edit: I can't get myself to drain oil into the sink, generally. Jacques Pepin taught me to sprinkle it on other stuff I'm eating, feels more like I'm using every part of the animal or something.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Nov 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

• Locked thread