Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Habibi posted:

That's not how things play out among real life slaves. And in the books, he's hardly the only one living in those conditions, some have been enduring them even longer, and he's just about unique in his evolved apathy.

I know that. The history of slaves is if anything rather complex, and can not be simply reduced to simple servants/cottonpickers.

As for Udinaas, he goes from Indebted to slavery, but still remains Indebted, and then becomes a slave to the Emperor, whom he abandons due to possession. He is also raped by an Ascendant, gets a half-dragon son in a another dimension and is then dragged around on a wild goose chase by a couple of less-than-happy Tiste. Edit: :stare:
He is in other words, pretty much a victim of fate and Eriksons version of Jonah, and I imagine during these rather specific circumstances saying "gently caress it" to the whole thing is not far away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
I didn't really see Udinaas as apathetic. He's the only one that treats Rhulad as a person rather than a concept. Rhulad's entire family, understandably, flat out gives up on him as a human (edur) being. His level of compassion throughout the series is nearly unparalleled.

edit: For content, I'm on my second reading of the series (on Bonehunters) and I really think it is even more satisfying the second time through. Knowing what the end result is really puts the series into perspective. Also, I get to realize that almost all of the concepts that I thought came out of nowhere later in the series were actually referenced early on but I was just in too much of a rush (and didn't see the bigger picture) to notice. It took a second reading to remember that the Crimson Guard are actually introduced in the first book and not Midnight Tides.

On that topic, Iron Bars I wondered what the gently caress happened with him after the end of the series and then read ICE's books and was disappointed that a cool character was abandoned to ICE and barely used. Must have been Erickson's character?

imagine dungeons fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Nov 15, 2014

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

ZombieLenin posted:

Well you become an immortal and one of the most powerful beings in existence. So sudden douchbaggary isn't a shock.

It doesn't seem universal though. So far Paran does not seem to have been bitten by the ascendadouche bug yet. Maybe that changes.
That's because he started out as the biggest douche in the bag. I can't think of many characters who're less mature and more arrogant, outside of maybe the Tiste Edur emporer dude who ended up with the lovely :10bux: wardrobe and immortality deal.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

coyo7e posted:

That's because he started out as the biggest douche in the bag. I can't think of many characters who're less mature and more arrogant, outside of maybe the Tiste Edur emporer dude who ended up with the lovely :10bux: wardrobe and immortality deal.

In all fairness, he chills the gently caress out after the first book though. I guess dying will do that for you.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Well there was a :emo: phase that lasted a while after he came back.
Then again, I can't really remember any character that becomes overjoyed at their ascendancy.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

i read orb sceptre throne last week, and forge of darkness over the weekend.
OST was the first & only esslemont book i've read.
drat esslemont loves happy endings/refuses to killoff viewpoint characters like erikson.

a few things in OST felt off, but overall i'm happy with it.
i don't think i'll be picking up another esslemont book, and am looking forward to the next Kharkanas book.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Both are genre fantasy authors but Erikson is way better at plotting, structure, and can write some really good prose.

Esslemont isn't any better than most other genre authors. He's not terrible, but looks bad in comparison to Erikson.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

tuluk posted:

i read orb sceptre throne last week, and forge of darkness over the weekend.
OST was the first & only esslemont book i've read.
drat esslemont loves happy endings/refuses to killoff viewpoint characters like erikson.

For all of Esselmont's faults, I'm not sure this is one of them. His other books are better examples, but even in OST it's not exactly the case - the Second dies, and he's a pretty major POV character; while the main bad guy is defeated, there's a ton of collateral damage caused all over the continent; etc.

e: wasn't FoD loving good though?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Habibi posted:

I'm think I'm most interested in meeting Tiam because it still doesn't rally make a great deal of sense in any way. I'm also hoping that Osserc gets punched in the face in Fall of Light

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Jose posted:

I'm think I'm most interested in meeting Tiam because it still doesn't rally make a great deal of sense in any way. I'm also hoping that Osserc gets punched in the face in Fall of Light

Yeah, hopefully we get to witness that. I also hope Osserc gets punched in the face in every book. Even books in which he's otherwise unmentioned should just have a single chapter that reads nothing but, "Osserc reeled from a backhanded blow across his face, a guttural cry escaping the ruin of his mouth."

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Habibi posted:

For all of Esselmont's faults, I'm not sure this is one of them. His other books are better examples, but even in OST it's not exactly the case - the Second dies, and he's a pretty major POV character; while the main bad guy is defeated, there's a ton of collateral damage caused all over the continent; etc.

the dude you mentioned was so bland his death-to-save-his-people was 1000% assured by his 2nd in-story appearance in OST(for me).

FoD was pretty good.
all those tiste names bouncing around and changing over time into what they are in the main malazan books will be cool.
silchas ruin + his buddy from the urusander legions will be interesting to follow, and i really want to see more vitr stuff happen in the kharkanas series.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Nov 19, 2014

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.
Just finished Deadhouse Gates after putting it down midway through a few months ago and jumped right in to MoI. Just got to Toc the Younger, as of this point, what's his deal? Can't remember who he is/ what happened to him in the first two books. Don't want to Google it and get spoiled.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

himajinga posted:

Just finished Deadhouse Gates after putting it down midway through a few months ago and jumped right in to MoI. Just got to Toc the Younger, as of this point, what's his deal? Can't remember who he is/ what happened to him in the first two books. Don't want to Google it and get spoiled.

GotM spoiler only:

One-eyed Claw archer that hangs with Paran for a while, disappears in the desert in the Chaos explosion that involves Bellurdan/Tattersail and probably Hairlock[?]. That's basically all you have at this point. He's not in DHG at all.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

himajinga posted:

Basically Hairlock threw him into a portal to Chaos, like a dick.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Zeitgueist posted:

GotM spoiler only:

One-eyed Claw archer that hangs with Paran for a while, disappears in the desert in the Chaos explosion that involves Bellurdan/Tattersail and probably Hairlock[?]. That's basically all you have at this point. He's not in DHG at all.

Illuyankas posted:

Basically Hairlock threw him into a portal to Chaos, like a dick.

Oh yeah, cool thanks. No wonder I remembered the name only, I read GoTM like a year ago. The improvement in Erickson's prose over the course of these 3 books so far is staggering. MoI is already much easier comprehend than DHG while still retaining that air of "holy poo poo this world is insanely dense with history and mythology, I can't wait until I understand what the heck all that stuff in the last paragraph is referencing".

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

himajinga posted:

Oh yeah, cool thanks. No wonder I remembered the name only, I read GoTM like a year ago. The improvement in Erickson's prose over the course of these 3 books so far is staggering. MoI is already much easier comprehend than DHG while still retaining that air of "holy poo poo this world is insanely dense with history and mythology, I can't wait until I understand what the heck all that stuff in the last paragraph is referencing".

The first book was written like 10 years before the rest, as he shopped it to publishers who largely balked at it(and understandably so...having read the series I'm still kinda surprised, it's a tough sell).

He's one of the fantasy authors like Sanderson who have a noticeably significant uptick in writing quality. I guess that says about the genre that we don't ask for much.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Zeitgueist posted:

The first book was written like 10 years before the rest, as he shopped it to publishers who largely balked at it(and understandably so...having read the series I'm still kinda surprised, it's a tough sell).

He's one of the fantasy authors like Sanderson who have a noticeably significant uptick in writing quality. I guess that says about the genre that we don't ask for much.

Yeah, I knew about the time difference, I just didn't think it'd be so dramatic. I haven't read any of Sanderson's stuff other than the final WoT books, but it's very much to his credit that he made those books as readable and interesting as they are, I don't think I'd enjoyed a WoT book since Crown of Swords, but I actually really thought the ones he wrote were some of the best in the series.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

himajinga posted:

Yeah, I knew about the time difference, I just didn't think it'd be so dramatic. I haven't read any of Sanderson's stuff other than the final WoT books, but it's very much to his credit that he made those books as readable and interesting as they are, I don't think I'd enjoyed a WoT book since Crown of Swords, but I actually really thought the ones he wrote were some of the best in the series.

The difference between Elantris to his new Stormlight Archive books is drastic.

Though it's hard to say what parts of the final 3 WoT books were his and where Jordans, there were copious notes left and apparently huge swathes of the final book were already laid out. Jordan could write some decent prose but he also wrote some bad stuff and got too far up his own rear end in world-building.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Zeitgueist posted:

The difference between Elantris to his new Stormlight Archive books is drastic.

Though it's hard to say what parts of the final 3 WoT books were his and where Jordans, there were copious notes left and apparently huge swathes of the final book were already laid out. Jordan could write some decent prose but he also wrote some bad stuff and got too far up his own rear end in world-building.

Those last few WoT books turned Rand, Nynaeve, Egwene, etc...into actually interesting characters, and made the women in general behave like people instead of perpetually bitchy automatons, credit for which I have a really hard time attributing to Jordan. Strangely, I find I enjoy Sanderson's WoT books more than his own - including both Stormlight novels so far. Since what I have the hardest time with is his characterization and anti-Eriksonian tendency of force-feeding his audience data en masse, I wonder if having characters and plot knowledge largely completed and laid out, respectively, benefitted the finished product.

Erikson's strength when it comes to writing isn't stylistic, but lies in his ability to weave and balance a dozen apparently disconnected plotlines for two thirds of a book, and then have every crash together so expertly that it keeps you turning pages even when the prose itself isn't perfect. This was my experience with GotM despite its at times rough style, and given that, at least as far as I'm concerned, it's a fairly rare skill among writers, I am surprised it took so long to get picked up - though given where the initial failures led, I can't say it bothers me.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Habibi posted:

Those last few WoT books turned Rand, Nynaeve, Egwene, etc...into actually interesting characters, and made the women in general behave like people instead of perpetually bitchy automatons, credit for which I have a really hard time attributing to Jordan. Strangely, I find I enjoy Sanderson's WoT books more than his own - including both Stormlight novels so far. Since what I have the hardest time with is his characterization and anti-Eriksonian tendency of force-feeding his audience data en masse, I wonder if having characters and plot knowledge largely completed and laid out, respectively, benefitted the finished product.

Erikson's strength when it comes to writing isn't stylistic, but lies in his ability to weave and balance a dozen apparently disconnected plotlines for two thirds of a book, and then have every crash together so expertly that it keeps you turning pages even when the prose itself isn't perfect. This was my experience with GotM despite its at times rough style, and given that, at least as far as I'm concerned, it's a fairly rare skill among writers, I am surprised it took so long to get picked up - though given where the initial failures led, I can't say it bothers me.

To be fair there is some extent to which Jordan's glacial development of those characters over 10 or 11 books or whatever allowed Sanderson to finally pull them together into "normal" characters...Nynaeve's major breakthrough came during a book Jordan wrote. That all said goddamn were his characters generally frustrating as poo poo, which is why everyone liked Mat so much because he just went around going "man this is some bullshit ya'll are fuckin' crazy"

At any rate this isn't he WoT thread...

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Habibi posted:

Sanderson is definitely leagues better than Jordan at writing compelling women characters which is refreshing for fantasy in general. And in my opinion Erikson is better still, mostly because they aren't that much different from the men in efficacy.

It's a refreshing recent trend that makes me less embarrassed to read fantasy these days. At least until you get somewhat questionable portrayals like Night Angel or Kingkiller. At least Brent Weeks recent Lightbringer series is a lot more mature anyway.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Xachariah posted:

Sanderson is definitely leagues better than Jordan at writing compelling women characters which is refreshing for fantasy in general. And in my opinion Erikson is better still, mostly because they aren't that much different from the men in efficacy.

It's a refreshing recent trend that makes me less embarrassed to read fantasy these days. At least until you get somewhat questionable portrayals like Night Angel or Kingkiller. At least Brent Weeks recent Lightbringer series is a lot more mature anyway.

RE: female characters in Erikson, people's names are so random seeming and there's so many supporting characters in varied roles that I often forget which sex they are (Stormy, Picker, and Blend for example). Also, is there a rhyme or reason for why people have names that are just regular words?

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

himajinga posted:

RE: female characters in Erikson, people's names are so random seeming and there's so many supporting characters in varied roles that I often forget which sex they are (Stormy, Picker, and Blend for example). Also, is there a rhyme or reason for why people have names that are just regular words?

Yeah the reason is apparently that for the most part a Malazan training drill sergeant called Braven Tooth nicknamed them based on personal traits during their training, except Fiddler which was Whiskeyjack's doing. Stormy has a temper, Blend is quiet, Picker picks her nose, Limp, uh, has a limp.

Xachariah fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Nov 20, 2014

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

himajinga posted:

Yes, and to add to what Xachariah said, you meet him briefly in what I think for you will be the next book (HoC)?

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Xachariah posted:

Yeah the reason is apparently that for the most part a Malazan training drill sergeant called Braven Tooth nicknamed them based on personal traits during their training, except Fiddler which was Whiskeyjack's doing. Stormy has a temper, Blend is quiet, Picker picks her nose, Limp, uh, has a limp.

Yeah, and reasoning being(and I think explicitly stated more than once in the series) is that what happened before you joined the military is the past. You're in the military now and you need to leave the old you behind.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I think Limp actually keeps getting injured in the same leg, just to show that Braven Tooth's powers of prediction are uncanny and borderline magical. You'll definitely see the names and reasons for them getting more ridiculous as the series goes on (case in point: Skulldeath).
edit: Yeah, that's the ridiculous part. Sergeant's gotta have a precognitive warren or something.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 20, 2014

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

anilEhilated posted:

I think Limp actually keeps getting injured in the same leg, just to show that Braven Tooth's powers of prediction are uncanny and borderline magical. You'll definitely see the names and reasons for them getting more ridiculous as the series goes on (case in point: Skulldeath).
His name was one hundred percent appropriate, whatcho talkin about, Willis?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

himajinga posted:

I spent like 6 hours splicing the last three WOT Sanderson books into one book timeline wise to this: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkoVqSXYFOjzdDhGMnI3dVEzaHBNamRXRko5SFBLZnc#gid=0. So TGS, TOM and AMOL are all combined, with the chapters moved because Sanderson had to split up the 4 main characters in the first 2 books.

Trust me it reads SO much better.

Send me a PM I've heard rumors on how to get it.

Barreft fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Nov 21, 2014

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Took a break from the Malazan universe for awhile. Came back and picked up Assail. This book is really not jiving with me, Esslemont doesn't do this many POVs well and the geography is really confusing with his uneven description of directions and locales. He seems to be trying really hard for the Erikson convergence goal but its very clumsy so far. Not sure if I should bother with the rest, about halfway through.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

The Gunslinger posted:

Took a break from the Malazan universe for awhile. Came back and picked up Assail. This book is really not jiving with me, Esslemont doesn't do this many POVs well and the geography is really confusing with his uneven description of directions and locales. He seems to be trying really hard for the Erikson convergence goal but its very clumsy so far. Not sure if I should bother with the rest, about halfway through.

It doesn't really end. It just fizzles out and nothing finishes. No wrap-up, no nothing. It just sort of ends at a chapter and you're like "Thats it? What the gently caress."

The super-annoying "who is the mystery character" thing doesn't get any better.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Assail was pretty bland, yeah. It also had a preponderance of sections/chapters ending with a character going unconscious, and Esslemont never failed to use the phrase "... and he/she knew no more." Every goddamned time.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Spermy Smurf posted:

It doesn't really end. It just fizzles out and nothing finishes. No wrap-up, no nothing. It just sort of ends at a chapter and you're like "Thats it? What the gently caress."

The super-annoying "who is the mystery character" thing doesn't get any better.

That is...not at all encouraging to hear. Esslemont :bang:

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Assail is basically like sobering up in mid-sex with someone you realize you find unattractive but you figure you're already there so you might as well follow things through to their logical conclusion but then in the end neither of you climaxes.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Jethiss is by far the worst "mystery character" either Malazan author has done. It's going to be completely stupid if he turns out to be Rake, but if he isn't Rake, then why did ICE drop so many hints indicating that he is, only to not reveal anything at the end of the book? As I was reading Assail I was literally shaking my head at how loving dumb that plotline was.

EDIT: I said earlier that I liked Fisher's chapters, but in retrospect, they're brought down by ICE's complete inability to write songs and poetry. There's a part where the Losts convince Fisher to sing them a song before the big fight, so he recites some poo poo that sounds like it was written by an angsty 15 year old, and they're like "WOW DUDE, THAT'S SO DEEP AND TRAGIC." There were a lot of eye-rolling moments in Assail, but that one really stuck out for me.

Juaguocio fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 21, 2014

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

ICE's books haven't really done anything for me. I haven't read Assail yet, nor does it seem like I will based on the reviews. I got caught up wanting to know what happened to certain characters but I've realized that an open end is better than a poorly written end for me. I'm sure ICE was crucial to forming the stories to characters I fell in love with but he's just a sub-par author and I'd rather not know what happens than know than something stupid happens.

edit: FoD, on the other hand, challenged all of our preconceptions of what history was. I really appreciated that its first person take was so different to the perception of people 3,000 years later. I can't wait to see what other notions we're disabused of.

imagine dungeons fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Nov 22, 2014

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Ok I gave up on Assail after Kyle lumped off the 17th pair of forearms. Also Kyle. Again. Gotta get him in every book. I thought Esslemont was improving after OST but Assail is a painful regression in every way. I'm done with his stuff, its just not worth the time. The Crimson Guard were so much more interesting when not fleshed out by him and I don't want to know what he'll do with the Silverfox storyline after seeing how Iron Bars has turned out.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

The Gunslinger posted:

Ok I gave up on Assail after Kyle lumped off the 17th pair of forearms. Also Kyle. Again. Gotta get him in every book. I thought Esslemont was improving after OST but Assail is a painful regression in every way. I'm done with his stuff, its just not worth the time. The Crimson Guard were so much more interesting when not fleshed out by him and I don't want to know what he'll do with the Silverfox storyline after seeing how Iron Bars has turned out.

Fox. Silver Fox.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Habibi posted:

Fox. Silver Fox.

'Now I know why they call you a fox.'

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Xachariah posted:

I don't even remember a female character from Night Angel. I'm not sure if that's reinforcing your point or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

I Own Soulz posted:

I don't even remember a female character from Night Angel. I'm not sure if that's reinforcing your point or not.

There was a Robert Jordan-esque female mage school that were comically "radical feminist" caricatures. Also a red haired female assassin who got jealous of the main character's girlfriend and forced him to be "bonded" to her. Also she was sexually abused and because of that is slutty or something and it's all just a bit squeamish. Reminded me of the whole damaged woman BDSM rape thing in Goodkind's objectivist magnus opus Sword of Truth.