Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

You have users that aren't special snowflakes? All my TV and movie users define special snowflake.

The Assistant Editors aren't...because they're also support.

God help us they're all special snowflakes...especially the Development team :eng99:

And today our SIP trunks are down with no clear resolution in sight. Fun way to start my morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Microsoft needs to get their poo poo together with Skype and Lync. Lync 2013 is awful, and Skype drives me crazy.

I install Skype on our computers via GPO as some of our users need it for international business stuff. Did you know that you can not tell Skype to not launch at startup until you've actually signed in? You have to create an account first. Now that GPO comes with a registry hack to remove it from run. That's unacceptable.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Gerdalti posted:

Microsoft needs to get their poo poo together with Skype and Lync. Lync 2013 is awful, and Skype drives me crazy.

I install Skype on our computers via GPO as some of our users need it for international business stuff. Did you know that you can not tell Skype to not launch at startup until you've actually signed in? You have to create an account first. Now that GPO comes with a registry hack to remove it from run. That's unacceptable.

Motherfucker. I knew I wasn't crazy.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
gently caress, even after changing all the scheduled tasks the SQL server keeps on locking out the domain admin every hour on the half hour mark.

Are there certain areas within SQL that would use domain credentials on a scheduled basis?

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

pr0digal posted:

The Assistant Editors aren't...because they're also support.

God help us they're all special snowflakes...especially the Development team :eng99:

And today our SIP trunks are down with no clear resolution in sight. Fun way to start my morning.

God help us is right. Yesterday I ran into a 120Gb Entourage profile. On top of that she had a stack of CDs with emails dating back to 1996 that she wanted imported into Outlook 2011. :smithicide:

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

God help us is right. Yesterday I ran into a 120Gb Entourage profile. On top of that she had a stack of CDs with emails dating back to 1996 that she wanted imported into Outlook 2011. :smithicide:

I'm glad nobody here uses Outlook 2011. I'm sad because everybody loves Mac Mail.

Also SIP trunks are magically back up with no word from the carrier on what the hell happened.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

m.hache posted:

gently caress, even after changing all the scheduled tasks the SQL server keeps on locking out the domain admin every hour on the half hour mark.

Are there certain areas within SQL that would use domain credentials on a scheduled basis?

Some kind of scheduled backup process, perhaps? Or other maintenance task?

Anything scheduled in task scheduler?

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

ConfusedUs posted:

Some kind of scheduled backup process, perhaps? Or other maintenance task?

Anything scheduled in task scheduler?

I think I've isolated it to our novaSTOR backup solution but it's not running under the domain account so I have no loving idea what's causing it.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

m.hache posted:

I think I've isolated it to our novaSTOR backup solution but it's not running under the domain account so I have no loving idea what's causing it.

Is the Sql server vss writer service running as domain admin, perhaps? Or if it's really old MSSQL, the MSDE Writer?

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

ConfusedUs posted:

Is the Sql server vss writer service running as domain admin, perhaps? Or if it's really old MSSQL, the MSDE Writer?

services.msc shows it running as the local system.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

m.hache posted:

services.msc shows it running as the local system.

Yeah, that's the default.

Does your backup solution log into SQL Server as the domain admin for some reason? The backup solution I work with creates its own service account to do so, but I've seen plenty of them that just log in as an admin account to get access to the databases.

You could check in SQL Server Management Studio in Security > Logins to see if the domain admin in question is listed, and what permissions it has. Perhaps try disabling it and see if the issue goes away, if it's present? You could add it back if it doesn't make a difference.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

m.hache posted:

I'm looking to move our servers outside the building, into a Data center. More or less a P2V then use some Data center to host poo poo.

This just moves the risk to a different building.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

This is why you set up a service user account for each service that needs domain rights.

"The" domain admin? Don't you have individual admin accounts?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

"No."

Collateral Damage posted:

This is why you set up a service user account for each service that needs domain rights.

One of these days I need to do a long venting write up of the place I work at now. But the other IT guy was using the Administrator account here. He didn't have a separate admin account nor was his account setup for Domain Admin.

Oh and the password safe was a sheaf of papers stapled together with the front page saying "FOR IT ONLY PLEASE RETURN TO IT IF FOUND"

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 20, 2014

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Collateral Damage posted:

There was this master account that was handed to me when I first started here. I'm the only IT guy for the company. I went about and changed everything slowly to service accounts as I came across them, removed local admin from all the users, and even restricted my system from having domain admin rights. I only log onto the account when domain level changes need to be made.

The reason for the change is the president had been giving access to another tech (her friend) so he could fix a piece of software he had developed in the past. Apparently now this person has been stealing company files (she claims, no way to actually trace it since you know, he had full loving access to the system). He had access to the domain password as he was the "trusted" tech that would cover for me when I was on vacation.

After resetting every single password in the god drat environment I'm now just working on fixing these stray services that were set up ages ago using that same Domain account.

Also I'm trying to figure out how to move everything into a cloud in less than 10 days now. They also want me to shop around though, because they don't want to spend too much money but they can't be down for more than 2 hours if the building is torched.

I feel like I could write a loving novel there is so much drama going on here.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

m.hache posted:

So I've been asked to set up a disaster recovery plan to get the business up and running within a few hours in the event our building get's firebombed... Because the Jilted Ex is crazy.

I have less than 15 days to accomplish this.

Anyone know of a good cloud host in Canada (GTA)? I figure the best disaster recovery option is to just move all of our poo poo off site. I don't really want to Co-locate because our servers are poo poo and I'd like to virtualize everything into some off site location and keep a RoDC/Fileserver here on site for Roaming profiles and the like.

Are you tasked with DR for the server farm, infrastructure, desktops or a combination of all three? Because the scope is wildly different for each.

Servers you have two choices for co-lo. Either migrate to a cloud service like Amazon S3, Office365, etc.. or create a hot or warm site at a different data center that will allow you spool up in a minimum amount of time.

Infrastructure, yeesh. That one will be thorny, but you want to make sure you can fail-over to a secondary provider for any of your Internet facing hosts. A cloud service could handle this as well. Don't forget phones and VPN services. Soft phones are your friend for DR situations.

For desktop, you'll either need a DR location for employees to work from (think bare necessities to get online) or some kind of managed services "hot desk" location. You'll also want to mandate all local files be stored on network storage (cloud or as part of your DR warm image). Laptop users I assume can use VPN from a home office in a DR scenario. You can probably find some cloud served solution for this as well.

All DR situations suck, but they suck in different ways. If you spin your own, there's a large cost involved in time, materials, and technical expertise. If you use a cloud, there's still a cost depending on the SLA you want, but also a lot of the nuts and bolts are out of your hands so smoothing out issues during an honest to god DR can take a lot longer. I've worked for companies that have had all in house DR solutions and a mix of "cloud" and in-house.

Ultimately, unless you're a small shop, you're not going to come up with a fully baked plan in 15 days. Even then, that's pushing it. Good DR takes a lot of time to plan and a good, bare-metal understanding of your entire infrastructure and the inter-relationships needed to make everything work. Typically, a comprehensive DR plan is created by SME's in a variety of positions in the company. Everything from network, servers, and desktops to HR.

If it were me, I'd ask for clarification on the request. If it's a high level "give us options we can explore", you can do that. Any thing more in depth, or if it's a "propose a solution and have it done in the next 8 weeks" they're putting a knife to your throat. If they don't allow you to create a project and pull in everyone needed to make this thing, no one will be happy.

EDIT: poo poo. I just read your last post. drat son, that's harsh.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Nov 21, 2014

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

m.hache posted:

There was this master account that was handed to me when I first started here. I'm the only IT guy for the company. I went about and changed everything slowly to service accounts as I came across them, removed local admin from all the users, and even restricted my system from having domain admin rights. I only log onto the account when domain level changes need to be made.

The reason for the change is the president had been giving access to another tech (her friend) so he could fix a piece of software he had developed in the past. Apparently now this person has been stealing company files (she claims, no way to actually trace it since you know, he had full loving access to the system). He had access to the domain password as he was the "trusted" tech that would cover for me when I was on vacation.

After resetting every single password in the god drat environment I'm now just working on fixing these stray services that were set up ages ago using that same Domain account.

Also I'm trying to figure out how to move everything into a cloud in less than 10 days now. They also want me to shop around though, because they don't want to spend too much money but they can't be down for more than 2 hours if the building is torched.

I feel like I could write a loving novel there is so much drama going on here.

You're going to need scotch, a whole lot of scotch you poor bastard.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
A ticket came in.

I... Just...

gently caress.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

What, are you facilities? Tell them to gently caress off.

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer
Have you tried resetting it from the web interface

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
From an initial inspection, it appears that the camera is working correctly.
Can you provide more detail on the nature of the error with your camera?

If you can provide the manufacturer name and model number I can begin locating a manual for the product and get a head start on addressing any technical issues you may be having with your camera.

Thank you,

IT Department

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

larchesdanrew posted:

A ticket came in.

I... Just...

gently caress.

Ah, see there's your problem. You see all that brown poo poo? It shouldn't be there! It needs to be cleaned up otherwise the sink won't work. I recommend using PPlunger to clean it up. I hope this helps :smug:

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Please use the right sink moving forward as per our disaster recovery plan.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

chutwig posted:

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

chutwig posted:

Given how residential that sink looks, I'd say yes he is, since that's either his own sink or his office is too small to have a facilities person so everything no one else wants to do goes to the "IT guy" by default.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Arquinsiel posted:

I'm not sure anyone really knows what Alt Gr is supposed to do. It seems to change based on whatever window is active at any given moment for me.

Used heavily on a lot of European keyboard layouts.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

dennyk posted:

Given how residential that sink looks, I'd say yes he is, since that's either his own sink or his office is too small to have a facilities person so everything no one else wants to do goes to the "IT guy" by default.

Bingo. I'm technically "Engineering," so I'm basically responsible for all things that don't fall specifically to the other departments. Hell, the cleaning lady is so inept that I'm responsible for filling the paper towel and soap dispensers because they're battery powered.

I honestly don't mind the extra grunt work because things are pretty slow around here usually, but this situation involved the annual Cleaning of the Break Room Fridge. Whoever cleaned it out decided, rather than throwing everything away, just to stuff all of it down the garbage disposal at once, completely burning out the motor and clogging the drat thing, then just left it sitting there all weekend without telling anyone. I managed to pull out about six pounds of shredded chicken, lettuce, and rice, a dish rag, and three forks.

Then the sink exploded this lovely mess of half rotten food all over me and gently caress Tuesday mornings.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

larchesdanrew posted:

Bingo. I'm technically "Engineering," so I'm basically responsible for all things that don't fall specifically to the other departments. Hell, the cleaning lady is so inept that I'm responsible for filling the paper towel and soap dispensers because they're battery powered.

I honestly don't mind the extra grunt work because things are pretty slow around here usually, but this situation involved the annual Cleaning of the Break Room Fridge. Whoever cleaned it out decided, rather than throwing everything away, just to stuff all of it down the garbage disposal at once, completely burning out the motor and clogging the drat thing, then just left it sitting there all weekend without telling anyone. I managed to pull out about six pounds of shredded chicken, lettuce, and rice, a dish rag, and three forks.

Then the sink exploded this lovely mess of half rotten food all over me and gently caress Tuesday mornings.
This simultaneously makes me feel better about my own situation and want to punch someone right in the mouth for making you go through that. What kind of moron thinks you can just willy-nilly dump food down a garbage disposal?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

vibur posted:

This simultaneously makes me feel better about my own situation and want to punch someone right in the mouth for making you go through that. What kind of moron thinks you can just willy-nilly dump foodforks down a garbage disposal?

Seriously, forks?

Sometimes it would be easier fix stuff in the office myself. When our sink was broken, the super came to look at it, said it was hosed, faked a phone call, and left.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

larchesdanrew posted:

I managed to pull out about six pounds of shredded chicken, lettuce, and rice

Well I guess that's okay some people don't know what a garbage disposal can hand

quote:

a dish rag
Okay maybe someone needs a talking t

quote:

three forks.

Were they trying to get someone killed? Seriously find out who did this and get them reported cause that's up there with "microwaving metal" in the dangerous poo poo that no one should do list.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Kurieg posted:

Were they trying to get someone killed? Seriously find out who did this and get them reported cause that's up there with "microwaving metal" in the dangerous poo poo that no one should do list.

I know who did it, but don't have "proof" per se. Bonus, she sat up there eating breakfast and watching me ruin my morning while offering support by way of muttering, "oh, no! That's terrible! Who could have done that?" and I just wanted to waterboard her with that brackish chickeny wastewater.

Wednesday made up for it, though. I had to spend the day out at our transmitter tower playing ground crew to the tower climbers who were replacing some busted strobes and documenting lightning damage. Took a full eight hours where I was just sitting outside on a gorgeous day getting paid to play smash brothers, run the elevator up and down every hour or so, and smirk at the fact that there was no cell phone coverage :smug:

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm about to just let this admin account lock out every hour and call it a form of "Security".

All noticeable services are running without a problem.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

larchesdanrew posted:

I know who did it, but don't have "proof" per se. Bonus, she sat up there eating breakfast and watching me ruin my morning while offering support by way of muttering, "oh, no! That's terrible! Who could have done that?" and I just wanted to waterboard her with that brackish chickeny wastewater.
Is your workplace the kind of place that you could bitch about the anonymous shitlord who is obviously too stupid to live and/or clearly a sociopath who should be fired? Because even if it wasn't I'd probably have done that were I you.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Arquinsiel posted:

Is your workplace the kind of place that you could bitch about the anonymous shitlord who is obviously too stupid to live and/or clearly a sociopath who should be fired? Because even if it wasn't I'd probably have done that were I you.

I tried bitching the last time I had to disassemble the disposal to dig out a dish rag and spoon. Literally nothing happened except me looking like a tattletale. Plus, the GM is in Thailand for the next two weeks and my supervisor just laughed about it and continued perusing Yahoo! News.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

larchesdanrew posted:

I tried bitching the last time I had to disassemble the disposal to dig out a dish rag and spoon. Literally nothing happened except me looking like a tattletale. Plus, the GM is in Thailand for the next two weeks and my supervisor just laughed about it and continued perusing Yahoo! News.
Oh I meant more bitching about the anonymous shithead in front of the said anonymous shithead and forcing them to agree with you via social convention that workplace bitching must be shared.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
As if trying to beat my phone outage yesterday the internet went out today! Because I have no monitoring system in place it's a game of hunt and peck to figure out what the hell went wrong. One of the teams thought it would be hilarious to notify me that the internet was down every time I walked by them! Wicked funny!

Call the ISP. Circuit is up on their end and they can ping the firewall.
Check the content filter. Even after a bypass it's still down.
Change DNS servers. Nope.

Our remote (4 hour away in a different state) Network Engineer gets remoted into the ASA box to find out that his SLA kicked in. At 2:30 AM our Cogent line blipped and it swapped over to our secondary. Which would have been great except apparently he didn't seem to have set up the routes correctly (or at all) so we were dead in the water until he figured it out.

:downs:

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 21, 2014

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

larchesdanrew posted:

What are your IT duties? Can you please please post your salary?

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer
i had to do all that poo poo at my office until i just started deliberately loving up whenever somebody told me to take apart and clean the coffee machine or fix a toilet that wouldn't flush and eventually we hired a facilities guy

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

larchesdanrew posted:

Wednesday made up for it, though. I had to spend the day out at our transmitter tower playing ground crew to the tower climbers who were replacing some busted strobes and documenting lightning damage. Took a full eight hours where I was just sitting outside on a gorgeous day getting paid to play smash brothers, run the elevator up and down every hour or so, and smirk at the fact that there was no cell phone coverage :smug:

Wait, the people you work for don't know the difference between electrical engineering and plumbing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

tehloki posted:

i had to do all that poo poo at my office until i just started deliberately loving up whenever somebody told me to take apart and clean the coffee machine or fix a toilet that wouldn't flush and eventually we hired a facilities guy

This, a million times this, seriously if you want to get out of something just gently caress it up so much that no one will want you to do it again. Obviously this is not the solution to everything, but in stupid situations like this, it makes sense

• Locked thread