Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Smash Run was also bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

Well there was Smash Run, which was fine and not bad but I figured they'd have something a little more fleshed out for the console version.

Fuckin nope!

Smash Run was worse. At least on the Wii U you dont run around the board for five minutes and then fight a single battle.

El Diabolico
Dec 19, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is there an irc channel or something we can hang out and match-make/whine/complain in?

my NNID is Sushi_DTR.

I'm really feeling shulk. The counter is pretty funny too.

Also yeah. Smash tour is poo poo. Unbelievably so.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

zfleeman posted:

All Star Mode is a really good challenge. I don't think I tried it out much on Brawl because I was getting so frustrated.

I was almost at the end and then Nabbit bagged me and flew me up to heaven :(

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Smash Run was fun but it was loving stupid when you were playing, say, Bowser and the challenge was "RACE TO THE FINISH" and you were going against somebody like Sonic. Yeah okay thanks game.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I wish Smash Run fighting matches lasted longer than a minute. Otherwise I found the mode fun.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
I didn't mess around with smash run a whole bunch, but it seemed to me that five minutes for all of that was a bit too long. Maybe like a 2 minute rush for powerups next to a two minute fight. That'd be neat.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I think Smash Run would have been better if it had just been about who can get the biggest score. At least that's the part of it I liked. The competition that followed was rarely fun.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Does anyone actually have a Gamecube adapter in their hands through traditional means or is everybody hosed on this?

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

What's Smash Tour. That's surely some Adventure-like mode where you 'tour' the smash/nintendo universe.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Updating!!! So excited!

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

El Diabolico posted:

Is there an irc channel or something we can hang out and match-make/whine/complain in?

Yes there is: #goonsmash on synIRC. Please smash responsibly

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Louisgod posted:

Smash Run was fun but it was loving stupid when you were playing, say, Bowser and the challenge was "RACE TO THE FINISH" and you were going against somebody like Sonic. Yeah okay thanks game.

That's when you forget about winning the race and dedicate it to loving up Sonic.

Nut Better
Feb 17, 2011

:same:

My NNID is vash1122

How is online working for everyone so far? I won't have the game until later so I'd be curious to hear some reports. Especially anyone using wireless. I'm hoping I won't have to go get an ethernet adapter just to get things running smoothly.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

Xad posted:

I noticed there was a big post about some unlockable characters/music/stages, but none of the music was from Wonderful 101! Anyone have any of them so far?

I only listed the music that you unlock during challenges. There's still a whole lot of songs for you to unlock otherwise. There are at least two, maybe three W101 songs in there, including the main theme (without vocals) and the final boss theme.

That said, the Sandbag method doesn't work, I've found. The best way to unlock music is to play Crazy Orders.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Is the unlock method the same as the 3DS characters? Classic for related unlocks or just tons of smashin'?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

shyduck posted:

Does anyone actually have a Gamecube adapter in their hands through traditional means or is everybody hosed on this?

Not in my hands yet, but Amazon shipped mine yesterday and UPS will have it to me today according to the tracking. I did order it the first day they were available though.

I had to wake up early for work, but I did unlock it right before midnight and do a Classic run on the gamepad. Definitely can't wait for the adapter, I need my GameCube button layout.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

RyokoTK posted:

Smash Tour loving sucks hahaha.

Yeeeeah, that was really not good. I want to give it the benefit of the doubt and say it would play better with a little thought and not at the frantic OMG day 1 pace I was hopping around the game, but I just don't see it.

Volkameria
Nov 20, 2014

Gay and grumpy
This is the first time in a long time I've cracked open a new version of Smash without a main in mind. I am pleased to see all the unique mechanics for a lot of the new characters like Shulk and Rosalina and the Diminutive Mac. Still, so far Palutena seems like she has some issues with being laggy...

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Maple Leaf posted:

the main theme (without vocals)

this is hosed up

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Fix posted:

Yeeeeah, that was really not good. I want to give it the benefit of the doubt and say it would play better with a little thought and not at the frantic OMG day 1 pace I was hopping around the game, but I just don't see it.

I played one game of it last night with a buddy and we were both pretty unimpressed. Then I ground out two other games this morning to unlock Duck Hunt by myself and it was terrible. I think it might, maybe be fun if you're playing it with only humans but it was definitely not fun against the CPU.

The weirdest part is that the end battle is a stock battle, but you're scored on KOs rather than last man standing. So if you have a ton of extra stocks and your enemies have very few, it's actually really hard to win since there's just not that many bad guys to kill. It's baffling.

All the other games are really good though. Smash 4 Is Good.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Are you sure that's not "Wonderful 100, Roll Out" which is the first mission theme?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Oxxidation posted:

Smash Run was also bad.

Smash Run is good!

Then again, I win 95% of my Smash Run matches anyway.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Why is Smash Tour thrown up on the very first menu page, it's almost like he wants people to play it

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

THE loving MOON posted:

Why is Smash Tour thrown up on the very first menu page, it's almost like he wants people to play it

Meanwhile you gotta go digging through menus for god's gift to Smash, Crazy Orders.

Although getting zoned out by a gust bellows on the second level is not great.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

THE loving MOON posted:

Because it's Wii U's Smash Run counterpart.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Louisgod posted:

Smash Run's only good when you use custom characters and bump Bowser's speed to ridiculous levels so you can actually explore the map in five minutes.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I like Smash run. It's fun to kill baddies and get loot. I don't really care much about the final battle but it's fun to see how overpowered you can get with the powerup pickups. You don't have to like explore the whole map each run, just go around, find poo poo and enter doors if you see them.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

If you can't find a GCN adapter try best buy, a bunch of their stores in my area have it available for in-store pickup today.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Can I take a local friend into online multi?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Just picked up a standalone adapter from Toys R Us. Tons of best buys have them listed as well.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I have to say, I like almost all of the new stages quite a bit. Clearly all the lovely obnoxious ones got shuffled over to the 3DS. Mushroom Kingdom U, Orbital Gate Assault, Pilotwings, Wuhu Island, Wrecking Crew, Town and City, Gamer, and Windy Hill Zone are all great stuff.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Folt The Bolt posted:

Because it's Wii U's Smash Run counterpart.

I know. I was joking cuz it's bad.

I mean really, how do you take a concept like 'Mario Party, but with SMASH:eyepop:' and make it boring? I kind of think it was shoehorned in late because of development time, it's just so uninspired.

Everything else is magic though, it's no big deal

edit: notice how they made a big deal about smash run, which was a fun diversion, but only mentioned smash tour in the 50 facts thing and 1 maybe 2 daily posts

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Nov 21, 2014

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Smash 1 was great on N64 because I was in high school and would play with friends after school. I've tried other versions but can't get into it like back in the day. Here's to trying this one as a last hurrah. Off to gamestop I go.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
What a rip off they should let me be off work today I'm gonna die before 5

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

If we're still adding NNIDs to the OP, mine is Kaethela. Thanks!

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

THE loving MOON posted:

I know. I was joking cuz it's bad.

I mean really, how do you take a concept like 'Mario Party, but with SMASH:eyepop:' and make it boring? I kind of think it was shoehorned in late because of development time, it's just so uninspired.

Everything else is magic though, it's no big deal

edit: notice how they made a big deal about smash run, which was a fun diversion, but only mentioned smash tour in the 50 facts thing and 1 maybe 2 daily posts

Well, Smash Run and Smash Tour, despite being counterparts, are rather different from each other. One is kind of a Metroid7Castlevania search for power ups to get and enemies to defeat which all comes to a head in a final battle against similiarly powered opponents. Smash Tour by contrast is more of a boardgame with Smash elements and ability to power yourself up.

RyokoTK posted:

I have to say, I like almost all of the new stages quite a bit. Clearly all the lovely obnoxious ones got shuffled over to the 3DS. Mushroom Kingdom U, Orbital Gate Assault, Pilotwings, Wuhu Island, Wrecking Crew, Town and City, Gamer, and Windy Hill Zone are all great stuff.

I'm actually rather partial to the 3DS stages. 3D Land, Rainbow Road, Paper Mario, Gerudo Valley, Magicant, Arena Ferox, Reset Bomb Forest, Tortimer Island, Pictochat 2, Find Mii, and Pac-Maze... :swoon:

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Much like Ridley, smash run is simply too big. You could run laps around City Trial in the time it takes to explore one corner of the Smash Run map, and if you could encounter other players such a big map would leave no chance.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Folt The Bolt posted:

I'm actually rather partial to the 3DS stages. 3D Land, Rainbow Road, Paper Mario, Gerudo Valley, Magicant, Arena Ferox, Reset Bomb Forest, Tortimer Island, Pictochat 2, Find Mii, and Pac-Maze... :swoon:

My problem with most 3DS stages is that the stage hazards are so overdone that they dominate the gameplay, or they just transform so often that you're spending more time navigating the stage than fighting.

I find it weird that the Wii U stages are almost more dialed down in that way. Like, Mario Circuit 8 and Rainbow Road 7 are pretty much the same stage idea, but the former is so much better executed, and I think it's just because the racers don't completely control the combat at every stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

also because almost every stage in the 3ds version is a lovely walk-off

• Locked thread