Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I have not had any problems with iPhone cables since the 3GS.

I also consciously avoid bending them near the connector because I'm not a caveman who thinks things only break via blunt force trauma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

My frayed lightning cable was only plugged into my phone when it was laying on my nightstand and unplugged using the connector. Some of them are lovely, others aren't.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Kobayashi posted:

Don't I know it. It seems like half the time I use my iPhone as a coaster, I end up with "water damage." Goddammit Apple.
So apt.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
16gb screen protector phone case mlc/tlc iphone cable rah rah rah.

Never stop goons. Never loving stop.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

When I download something on my phone it automatically downloads it onto my iTunes at home too. How do I turn off this feature?

Edit: Ah! It's called automatic downloads. Turned it off.

obi_ant fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Nov 21, 2014

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Wait... So if you abuse and misuse a product it can fail?

Don't encourage him.

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Hummingbirds are a legal tender.
Hey guys maybe I should get the Thunder (tm) Lightning Cord Protector to go on my 16GB iPhone with the Otterbox and screen cover?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bird Law posted:

Hey guys maybe I should get the Thunder (tm) Lightning Cord Protector to go on my 16GB iPhone with the Otterbox and screen cover?

That one sucks, you need the glass protector.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Bird Law posted:

Even better, check out this guy and his sweet Lightning cable spring mod video!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VCIo8xGTUX0

All you need is a Lightning cable and two springs from pens.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Welp my camera lens on my 6 got cracked in half at some point this week. Luckily I had a manufacturing defect with the front facing camera being horribly offset to the left, so my phone was replaced for free.

May depend on who you get at the Apple store, but they were originally going to replace just the display/front camera until I pointed out the hairline crack in the main camera. The guy decided to replace the whole phone.

edit: also I have two completely hosed lightning cables I forgot to bring in for replacement.

various cheeses fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 21, 2014

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
When creating an email on iOS (iPhone), as the blank draft emerges the default email account I've selected appears in the "From:" field, but after I add the recipient, the "From:" field changes to another account (iCloud) address I have added.

Has anyone else noticed this? It doesn't matter the recipient I've added, it always changes to my iCloud address in the From field. In my mailbox the GMail account I selected as default is at the top of the list even, not that it should matter.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Use the gmail or mailbox app. iOS mail sucks.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

spongeworthy posted:

When creating an email on iOS (iPhone), as the blank draft emerges the default email account I've selected appears in the "From:" field, but after I add the recipient, the "From:" field changes to another account (iCloud) address I have added.

Has anyone else noticed this? It doesn't matter the recipient I've added, it always changes to my iCloud address in the From field. In my mailbox the GMail account I selected as default is at the top of the list even, not that it should matter.

Do you send things to that recipient from that address frequently? I have one person I always send from a secondary account to, after a while it started to swap to that account automatically.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Virion posted:

Do you send things to that recipient from that address frequently? I have one person I always send from a secondary account to, after a while it started to swap to that account automatically.

Nope, I always change it back to my GMail account from iCloud every time it happens.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

A few days ago my boyfriend's iphone 6 upgrade arrived, we activated it (because AT&T), I swapped my sim into it, everything's running fine.

Except for a couple of apps I've noticed that I don't get notifications for, even though I used to on my old phone. I checked notification settings (they're all on) and toggled them, I deleted the apps and redownloaded, and I restarted my phone etc and still no dice. Is there something on the phone that could be interfering with it / how would I fix this?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Not likely. Wipe and reinstall the OS and DO NOT restore from a backup. Set it up as a new phone.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

spongeworthy posted:

Nope, I always change it back to my GMail account from iCloud every time it happens.

Pretty sure it's a contacts/directory thing. My email account magically changes to my work account when I email work colleagues, stays personal account for friends.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Kalman posted:

Pretty sure it's a contacts/directory thing. My email account magically changes to my work account when I email work colleagues, stays personal account for friends.

Perhaps since all my contacts are synced in iCloud, just a bit annoying to do multiple times a day.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Daedalus Esquire posted:

Use the gmail or mailbox app. iOS mail sucks.

I've been using Gmail's new Inbox app ever since it came out and I love it a lot.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Keystoned posted:

Are there any tips to getting the finger sensor to reliably work? At least 1/2 the time it doesnt recognize my thumb scan and frequently it misses it multiple times so i end up having to input my passcode.

Ive rescanned my thumb multiple times and it seems like it makes it better for a day or two then it starts errorig again. I also have multiple saved scans of my thumb which may have helped a bit but its definitely not foolproof.

It should be fine now. There were minor problems back when the 5s was released but for me at least, TouchID has been pretty bulletproof since.

When you're getting the prints set up, make sure you're following the directions carefully. The first round should be basically you aligning the middle of your thumb with the middle of the sensor and lifting it up and down a few times. The second round is where TouchID gets the edges... so you'll align the left-middle of your print, right-middle of your print, top-middle of your print, and so on.

I suspect this is where your problem is going to be, but it's a lot easier to show than tell. Still, good luck!

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!
Failed scans followed by a successful one update the info for that fingerprint too so it should improve over time. Having the same digit saved in more than one slot might be counter productive for that.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Not likely. Wipe and reinstall the OS and DO NOT restore from a backup. Set it up as a new phone.

Hmm, okay. We set up the phone as new when we got it, then switched the sim, then restored from backup, but I guess hitches happen. I'll try it later if it really starts to bother me. (Most apps transferred okay, but not all did, and it was an annoying process getting them back.)

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

ShoogaSlim posted:

I've been using Gmail's new Inbox app ever since it came out and I love it a lot.

I'd use it if they enabled it for Google Apps accounts. I have mail in there too...

Also got my 6 on Friday. This is a good phone. Just wish my credit union would decide to support Apple Pay. :negative:

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro
I've had my iPhone 6 a few days now, and my only gripe with it is that I HATE the screen rotation functionality (bug?). A lot of the time when I go from landscape to portrait, I have to tip it back into landscape and then portrait again for it to register. Please tell me that it's not just my handset, I never had this happen on iOS 8 on my 5.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Mine just started doing that, I'm guessing it's an iOS 8 bug.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
I just wish you could adjust tilt sensitivity. Like make it so you have to tip it a solid 90 degrees instead of the current 60ish for it to rotate. The phone always rotates when I put it to my ear and that annoys me.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have orientation lock on almost always now.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Linx posted:

I've had my iPhone 6 a few days now, and my only gripe with it is that I HATE the screen rotation functionality (bug?). A lot of the time when I go from landscape to portrait, I have to tip it back into landscape and then portrait again for it to register. Please tell me that it's not just my handset, I never had this happen on iOS 8 on my 5.

Yeah this happens to me enough to notice.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
I have the same issue. I notice it a lot while using the Awful app especially.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The data connection on my 4S has been slow ever since updating to iOS 8. Like 0.3 mbps/down slow when I run SpeedTest.

I tried resetting the network settings and the "put it in airplane mode, wait 30 seconds, then turn airplane mode off" trick and that didn't do anything.

What are my other options? Factory reset or go to an Apple store? My carrier is AT&T.

EugeneJ fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 23, 2014

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Log into your AT&T account and check your usage. Sounds like you're being throttled.

Other than that, factory reset.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I've only got a passing familiarity with iOS, and my mom got an iPhone 6 while the rest of her family all have Android devices.

I'm trying to figure out where the fault lies for the following problem.

She's sending me messages and they're not coming to me as MMS's. They come to my email from phone-number@mms.att.net. (They're just text, so I don't even know why they're coming as MMS's at all)

I use Google Voice with my Android phone and the Hangouts app. I get MMS messages just fine from other people (though I haven't got an MMS from anyone using an iOS device in ages), so that's why I'm posting in here first as this makes me lean towards it being an iOS-specific thing.

Is this a known problem? Anything to fix it? Should I look for the source of this problem elsewhere?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Try resetting the network settings on the phone.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

It sounds to me like she's just sending them to your email address instead of your phone number. When she first texted you, she probably started typing your name, and your email came up as a suggestion, like this:

And she picked the wrong one.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

edit: nm

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Anyone know why pictures people text me never show and just say "downloading" and shows its completed?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

goodness posted:

Anyone know why pictures people text me never show and just say "downloading" and shows its completed?

SMS or iMessages? Also on both cellular and wifi? Are you on a MVNO?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

spongeworthy posted:

SMS or iMessages? Also on both cellular and wifi? Are you on a MVNO?

iMessages, and both cellular and wifi. I don't know what a MVNO is.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

goodness posted:

iMessages, and both cellular and wifi. I don't know what a MVNO is.

MVNOs are the smaller, typically prepaid "carriers" that just resell someone else's network (Net10, Consumer Cellular, Boost, Virgin, Ting)... Basically anything that isn't Sprint/T-Mobile/AT&T/Verizon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Molten Llama posted:

MVNOs are the smaller, typically prepaid "carriers" that just resell someone else's network (Net10, Consumer Cellular, Boost, Virgin, Ting)... Basically anything that isn't Sprint/T-Mobile/AT&T/Verizon.

Oh no then, I'm on ATT