Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

RyokoTK posted:

My problem with most 3DS stages is that the stage hazards are so overdone that they dominate the gameplay, or they just transform so often that you're spending more time navigating the stage than fighting.

I find it weird that the Wii U stages are almost more dialed down in that way. Like, Mario Circuit 8 and Rainbow Road 7 are pretty much the same stage idea, but the former is so much better executed, and I think it's just because the racers don't completely control the combat at every stop.

I haven't found any of them to be that bad, with the exception of the Yellow Devil and the Flying Man (but I love the concept of a stage-exclusive assist fighter so he gets a pass).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

My bestbuy did have the adapter in stock. Just picked up an adapter + a Samus amiibo.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I don't think walk-offs alone are bad. It's usually annoying stage hazards or little fighting space that makes so many of the 3ds stages bad.

Also 75m is a loving god-awful stage. Why the gently caress did they bring it back of all things?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Oxyclean posted:

I don't think walk-offs alone are bad. It's usually annoying stage hazards or little fighting space that makes so many of the 3ds stages bad.

I don't really like walk-offs because the whole air game and recovery and edge-guarding is a fundamental aspect of Smash. Also because fighting at the border of a stage feels awkward.

I mean, they're usually fine. I like walk-offs a lot more when they're part of stage transformations (like on Mario Circuit, or Prism Tower on 3DS) rather than a permanent aspect of the stage.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Oxyclean posted:

Also 75m is a loving god-awful stage. Why the gently caress did they bring it back of all things?

I bet it has something to do with the fact that it was probably an incredibly easy port. No background to animate, the graphics were probably easy to upscale to HD (just flat textures on blocks), and it's adequately sized for 8 people.

I'm kinda more disappointed there aren't more stages though. I liked having the classic stages tab.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Not a Children posted:

I bet it has something to do with the fact that it was probably an incredibly easy port. No background to animate, the graphics were probably easy to upscale to HD (just flat textures on blocks), and it's adequately sized for 8 people.

I'm kinda more disappointed there aren't more stages though. I liked having the classic stages tab.

Maybe I'll have to play it, but one of my issues with 75m was it felt like there was so little viable fighting space. It feels like it'd be a nightmare in 8-player (and maybe that's a good thing.)

I'm a bit sad there wasn't more classic stages from 64 & Melee. Also that one DK retro stage with the water being in both 3DS and Wii U is dumb because it's a dumb stage.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The Kongo Jungle stage on the Wii U is the N64 version, homie.

But they seem stubbornly against redoing the two best N64 stages, Saffron City and Hyrule Castle.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose
I've got a Villager Amiibo arriving today from Amazon, and (hopefully) Link, Mario, and Fox coming from Toys R Us in the next week or so. (Got a weird message at midnight about them not being able to find the items, then a second message at 9AM that was basically a confirmation and they have located the items in stock. I can no longer cancel my order so hopefully they ship soon.) Also got the GC adapter bundle for the game.

I've pre-ordered Mega Man, King Deedeedee, and Toon Link from Amazon as well. It's me. I'm the guy buying Amiibos.

(If you guys really want to see a Villager amiibo I can post a picture when it shows up)

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
I just stopped at Target on the way into work today and picked up Smash and 4 amiibos (Link, Mario, Samus and Villager) they seemed to have a good supply if people are worried about that. I didn't see the GC adapter so I just set one up for in store pickup from Best Buy.

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Peach battle pad bought

edit: nah I can't do it

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I just made 5700+ coins from doubling down my bet twice in a row in spectate mode.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Man I completely forgot about buying the Gamecube Adaptor. :doh:

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

just ordered link and samus amiibos off of amazon, and got a adapter waiting for me at best buy. I can breathe easy, now.

mamelon
Oct 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Does online allow cross-region play? I'm in the US and want to smash with my friend in Taiwan.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
My hands hurt from smashing. I love this game

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
How do i get the Mewtwo

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

noirstronaut posted:

How do i get the Mewtwo

Wait.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Disaster averted, GameStops in the Philly area at the very least got their shipments of Gamecube adapters in today. The GameStop I went to at midnight made it sound like I'd be waiting a couple of weeks. So yeah, try GameStop today if you're still looking.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

noirstronaut posted:

How do i get the Mewtwo

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

um excuse you this is not 2001

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

noirstronaut posted:

um excuse you this is not 2001

Oh I got confused by everyone playing smash bros with GameCube controllers.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Mewtwo is found within the depths of Cerulean Cave, accessible only to powerful Trainers who have defeated the Elite Four.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Louisgod posted:

Smash Run was fun but it was loving stupid when you were playing, say, Bowser and the challenge was "RACE TO THE FINISH" and you were going against somebody like Sonic. Yeah okay thanks game.

This sounds like somebody who's never won a Race to the Finish against Sonic with a Ganondorf that got 1000 in speed.

It's as cathartic as it sounds. :allears:

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Y'all some fuckers. I just want to do that weird backwards jump levitate poo poo Mewtwo does.

mamelon
Oct 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Excuse you guys, Smash Bros is not some vending machine that you put kindness coins in until Mewtwo falls out.

There is no such thing as The Mewtwo Zone.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Holy gently caress this shadow monster does not mess around.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Question - do the gamecube controllers work with third party remotes? This is probably a stupid question but I figure i'd ask before opening up this shiny new Peach controller and finding out it doesn't work because I have a third party cheapy.

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 21, 2014

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Question - do the gamecube controllers work with third party remotes? This is probably a stupid question but I figure i'd ask before opening up this shiny new Peach controller and finding out it doesn't work because I have a third party cheapy.

are you talking about the gamecube-like classic controllers? Or the actually gamecube controllers? Because you have to use the Gamecube controller adaptor to connect the real Gamecube controllers to the WiiU.

If it's a classic controller, you can plug it into a Wiimote. I don't know what you're talking about with third party remotes, though.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

It's good to see amiibo drat near sold out on day (morning) one in my semi-hobunk town. Couldn't find a Villager anywhere, so I ordered one.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Somehow the amiibos made it through the epic snowstorm and got to Gamestop stores in Buffalo. So I managed to pick up Link and Samus. My Samus, who is named "the baby." is now lv23.

None of the Gamestops got Smash or Pokemon though :laugh:

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Can anyone comment on the length of the cord attached to the GC controller adapter?

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Just lost a character unlock battle. The shame.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

are you talking about the gamecube-like classic controllers? Or the actually gamecube controllers? Because you have to use the Gamecube controller adaptor to connect the real Gamecube controllers to the WiiU.

If it's a classic controller, you can plug it into a Wiimote. I don't know what you're talking about with third party remotes, though.

Sorry, yes it's a classic controller. By third party I mean it's not an official nintendo Wiimote that it will be hooked up to.

WaitsUp
Sep 19, 2005
I used to be a deli sandwich
Just got it. Won't be on until this evening but my NNID is: Waitsup

Looking forward to smashing some of you

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010
Getting it tonight.

NNID: heyheyspaceman

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Wildtortilla posted:

Can anyone comment on the length of the cord attached to the GC controller adapter?
It's ~2 feet I'd say.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

AtrociousToaster posted:

It's ~2 feet I'd say.

That's lovely. If I remember correctly the GameCube controller cords weren't very long. I guess I'll just push my tv and couch closer together!

ACoolT5
Sep 23, 2003

All Hail Saban
Of the blood, and of the Tide

shyduck posted:

Does anyone actually have a Gamecube adapter in their hands through traditional means or is everybody hosed on this?

Picked one up at Best Buy today. Ordered it online for in store pickup and they had it reserved for me at customer service with my name printed on it. Couldn't have been easier.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Alright, got home with my copy, dusted off my Wii U for 20 minutes

now it's time to play smash bros. the way god intended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

AtrociousToaster posted:

It's ~2 feet I'd say.

I didn't really pull out the new ones cable to full length, but it seems much longer than the original GC controllers

• Locked thread