Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Smokin' Aces is the poor man's Shoot 'Em Up.

Stretch is better than the former but nowhere near the latter. It's a fun movie but if you don't like it in the first 30 minutes just turn it off and watch something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Maybe it was just Patrick Wilson. Dude just did not have the charisma to pull off that role.

I think that guy might be my least favorite actor ever, and I don't know why. He isn't talented, but there is worse.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

precision posted:

I know movies are made well apart from each other, and release dates don't matter usually, but still, want to point out, Smokin Aces came out way before Shoot 'Em Up did.

I love both. 2007 was a good year for schlocky action movies.

Don't get the Patrick Wilson hate. Dude's always entertaining. He's pretty funny in The A-Team.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

Don't get the Patrick Wilson hate. Dude's always entertaining. He's pretty funny in The A-Team.

The only movies I've seen where I remember his performances were those lame Wan/Whanell flicks and Hard Candy, so that might have something to do with it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

mod sassinator posted:

Holy moly this movie is nuts. :stare:

The Visitor is amazing and I'm really surprised it doesn't get discussed more often around here.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Erebus posted:

Nick of Time is a pretty entertaining movie in all the ways it's not trying to be.

Christopher Walken kidnaps Johnny Depp's daughter and tells him he has to assassinate the governor in 90 minutes or his accomplice will kill the kid. It's like they came up with a concept that they then immediately realized wouldn't work for a dozen different reasons, but pushed ahead anyway. Any time Depp could get help or tell somebody, which is a lot, their solution is to have Walken materialize around a corner and stare menacingly. The whole point is that Depp is supposed to be the fall guy so the real bad guys can keep a distance, but instead Walken just follows next to him everywhere. At one point Depp gets into an elevator with the governor and is about to tell her the plan, so of course Walken appears out of nowhere and gets on the elevator too. Then afterward Walken yells at Depp for not taking the opportunity to shoot her, even though Walken was right there next to him.

It's a cornball movie that's funnier for trying to be a taut thriller. The nice thing about Christopher Walken is that he works equally well in either scenario.

The shoe shine guy's monologue is legitimately great, both how it's written and the delivery. Gradually turning any random topic your client brings up into a subtle request for a big tip was great and so well executed.

Caveat: I saw the movie when it was in theaters (so, a long time ago) and also I was unbelievably stoned at the time and thought the entire movie was amazing, so ymmv.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Nobody's even mentioned that the main gimmick of Nick of Time is that it's in real time.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
13 Sins was dumb, but entertainingly insane.

Also a Simple Jack level portrayal of the mentally ill, but eh.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

precision posted:

Stretch is better than the former but nowhere near the latter. It's a fun movie but if you don't like it in the first 30 minutes just turn it off and watch something else.

Holy poo poo Shoot 'Em Up was awesome. Thanks for reminding me about this fantastic movie. Definitely rewatching this soon. I'll give Stretch a shot but I'm definitely cautious cause I'm not a fan of Patrick Wilson myself either. He just has a really punchable face :shrug:

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I'm still a little perplexed by Stretch. It has elements I like, and scenes I enjoyed, but the movie as a whole feels undercooked. Or overcooked I don't know.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:

precision posted:

I was horribly disappointed with the former. It was trying to pull a guy richie but failed so hard. The Nazis also were marketed to play a much bigger role. If the movie had focused more on them than trying to spread focus out on all groups it would have been better.

That really is whatever the movie was missing. It didn't know what band of dickheads to really focus on. It tried to focus on all of them and just made them all transparent. It really should have fleshed everyone out more. Other than that, again, It tried to pull a Lock Stock but just ended up being dull somehow. It wasn't restrained enough either. So instead of having one giant confused flurry that was being built upon the entire movie it was a giant flurry THE ENTIRE TIME. It lost so much value.

In a shorter sense it was trying to do something smart in a really dumb way. And at that it failed because the action set pieces were a bit underwhelming. Riche has these kinds of encounters once, maybe twice the entire movie and they're all mostly at the end and have a great buildup. These have almost no buildup and doesn't know when to be senseless and not to be.

"Here's a string of Guy Richie-esque setpiece chance encounter action sequences falling flat on its face."

Shoot 'Em Up was loving amazing. Sex scene shootout? gently caress yeah!

"You want a hodge podge of violence, sex, action... Sexy action? Well here it is in your face and we don't give a gently caress."

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Nov 20, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'm surprised anyone could have such strong feelings about Stretch. The only thing that really fell flat for me was Jessica Alba's entire pointless character.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I'm surprised anyone could have such strong feelings about Stretch. The only thing that really fell flat for me was Jessica Alba's entire pointless character.

I could see people hating it for being "lolrandom" with the cameos, but those people probably hate Detention and smell bad.

Also, I felt like the film played to Patrick Wilson being a punchable doucheface.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I enjoyed Shoot 'Em Up, it felt like a studio conspicuously trying to copy the gonzo craziness of Crank and the plot was almost hilariously tone-deaf (somehow they managed to cram infanticide, stem cell reasearch, and gun control in between wacky gunfights and lactating hookers) but the action scenes were a lot of fun and Paul Giamatti loving owned as the neurotic villain.

And it is really funny that Drive Angry shamelessly stole the sex scene gunfight from it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I enjoyed Shoot 'Em Up, it felt like a studio conspicuously trying to copy the gonzo craziness of Crank and the plot was almost hilariously tone-deaf (somehow they managed to cram infanticide, stem cell reasearch, and gun control in between wacky gunfights and lactating hookers) but the action scenes were a lot of fun and Paul Giamatti loving owned as the neurotic villain.

And it is really funny that Drive Angry shamelessly stole the sex scene gunfight from it.

Drive Angry is the greatest piece of art in American history and it didn't steal that scene, it was an homage.

Edit

While I'm at it, I've said it before and I will say it again, Peaky Blinders might be my favorite show on Netflix right now. I'm watching the first season again with my girlfriend and it is still absolutely fantastic. I mean I am just having the best time.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Nov 21, 2014

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Shoot 'Em Up had a surprisingly engaging plot for something constantly winking at you about its shamelessness.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

The Time Dissolver posted:

Shoot 'Em Up had a surprisingly engaging plot for something constantly winking at you about its shamelessness.

I think we owe that almost entirely to how well Paul Giamatti sells it.

Re: Stretch, I need to finish it, but the glaring thing I noticed in the first 30-45 minutes was how bad the script is. It's rare that I notice something like that, but the Wilson's voice-overs in particular are so bad it's jarring.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

The Time Dissolver posted:

The first time I saw Shoot 'Em Up I thought it was brilliant deadpan satire. I mean really? Carrots are good for vision, so every time he takes a bite of one the camera brings something into focus? Genius.

Then I watched an interview with the director. It would appear the entire movie really is just a bunch of OH MY GOD WOULDN'T IT BE COOL IF HE DID THIS moments strung together by a man who is mentally eight years old. But goddamn, does it work anyway. And yeah, Giamatti's unhinged performance is perfect.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Isn't the whole film basically an ultra violent average Bugs Bunny cartoon as well? I really need to rewatch it, it's criminally under appreciated.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
If I recall correctly that's exactly how I remember it. I mean considering in the cartoon someone gets their head blown off once every episode.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Shoot Em Up is an anagram of Upset Homo.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Counterpoint: he punches someone in the face with a filing cabinet by shooting it.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I like the part where he saves the baby from Paul Giamatti's sniper rifle by shooting the merry-go-round it's on with his gun so it spins.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
Should have mentioned this earlier, but Oscar nominee movie "Nebraska" is up and it is a beautiful and stark film. Highly recommended. Though it is a little sad, especially if like me you are scared of aging or if you have aging parents.

Edit; oh just realized it might be on Canada Netflix or something, not US.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Oh, my God, I think the same exact image of Harvey Keitel has been photoshopped into the promo images of both Blue in the Face and Smoke on streaming.

Also, finally watched Coffee and Cigarettes, and it was great. "Cousins?" was my favorite segment.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Drunk Tomato posted:

Should have mentioned this earlier, but Oscar nominee movie "Nebraska" is up and it is a beautiful and stark film. Highly recommended. Though it is a little sad, especially if like me you are scared of aging or if you have aging parents.

It's on US netflix too. just added it to my list.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Drunk Tomato posted:

Nebraska is great (and on US Netflix). It's obviously a slow paced film but there is enough deadpan (and not so deadpan) comedy to keep it moving. Overall it's a positive, if bittersweet story.

Speaking of Bruce Dern, Silent Running is also on Netflix. I was always under the impression that it was a sci-fi classic but holy hell is it a snoozer. And awful music. And a plot that doesn't make sense. Actually in retrospect it is probably extremely entertaining if you imagine Bruce Dern's character from Nebraska in place of his character in Silent Running.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

LogisticEarth posted:

Speaking of Bruce Dern, Silent Running is also on Netflix. I was always under the impression that it was a sci-fi classic but holy hell is it a snoozer. And awful music. And a plot that doesn't make sense. Actually in retrospect it is probably extremely entertaining if you imagine Bruce Dern's character from Nebraska in place of his character in Silent Running.

Yeah it's a classic for the modeling and special effects IMHO, but the actual story is pretty bad 70's environmentalist schlock, kind of like the 4th Star Trek film.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

LogisticEarth posted:

Speaking of Bruce Dern, Silent Running is also on Netflix.

I was a pretty sensitive kid, that movie depressed the hell out of me when I was about 8.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Silent Running is actually an all-time-top-10-sci-fi-films contender, but it is not, unfortunately, up on Netflix at the moment

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

LogisticEarth posted:

Silent Running is improved immensely if you can grab 65daysofstatic's re-soundtracking of it and sync it up. Not the commercial release (which is only like 44 minutes long) but the actual live score they did of it.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Silent Running is actually an all-time-top-10-sci-fi-films contender, but it is not, unfortunately, up on Netflix at the moment

Must have been just taken down recently then. I saw it on there a couple weeks ago.

mod sassinator posted:

Yeah it's a classic for the modeling and special effects IMHO, but the actual story is pretty bad 70's environmentalist schlock, kind of like the 4th Star Trek film.

Was the modeling really that noteworthy? I know the same guy worked on 2001 did, but I don't recall being nearly as impressed by the visuals in Silent Running.

And at least Trek 4 had characters who we were already familiar with (and were often corny) thrust into a corny situation. Silent Running didn't have that kind of momentum behind it to carry me through the shallow plot.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Just saw this

Just saw this

quote:

Netflix has you covered with these recent releases: The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, Shakespeare In Love, Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, and Trainspotting.

Diving Bell is great if you haven't seen it

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Christoff posted:

another personal favorite of mine, absolutely worth watching. some of the best cinematography of Janusz Kaminsk's career

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

K. Waste posted:

Also, finally watched Coffee and Cigarettes, and it was great. "Cousins?" was my favorite segment.

Cousins was good but Twins was great. Steve Buscemi's character delivered just the right amount of uncomfortable humor.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Christoff posted:

I tried to watch it once, but I had to turn it off after those first twenty minutes because it just got too loving real for me. I know it's good, and it's one of my gf's favorites, but I just need to get the stomach to see the rest of it. I guess that particular subject matter just gets to me.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

It is quite realistic but it gets a bit more uplifting as it goes on. Has a rough start

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Christoff posted:

It is quite realistic but it gets a bit more uplifting as it goes on. Has a rough start

yeah the first half hour or so is really uncomfortably intense but it has a big gear shift after that, you'll know it when you see it.

that's one of those movies i'm really glad i went into knowing absolutely nothing about it other than "i think i heard this was good?" book is excellent, too.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Lilyhammer season 3 was added today! I don't know what it is, but I love these Netflix shows about small European towns. Finished Southcliffe last week and Happy Valley last month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Khorne Flakes posted:

Lilyhammer season 3 was added today! I don't know what it is, but I love these Netflix shows about small European towns. Finished Southcliffe last week and Happy Valley last month.

Lilyhammer is REAL bad. Don't bother.

• Locked thread