Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Orzo posted:

Please tell me this is a fakepost and you aren't seriously implying that men were just saying 'hello' to her.

Well it was edited quite a bit to emphasize non-white people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
That's only because the white guys were too busy furiously posting on Reddit about how hard they negged her by refusing to even acknowledge her flowing hair and wry, winsome smile.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Xelkelvos posted:

yeah that was lovely as gently caress

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Lonely Rolling Star posted:

Chunky gal shames people who might have accidentally glanced in her direction while taking selfies, the picture book. Naturally it's been funded already.

I get the idea behind this pitch, but some of the example photos look like she happened to catch someone while they were talking, or weren't even looking at her. But she ain't gonna let that stop her from shaming them. The pitch sounds more desperate for attention than empowering. And I'm still not buying the fact that most of these people in the pictures are even looking at her. The title picture looks staged. And besides which, if you set up a camera to take pictures of yourself in one of the densest pedestrian spots on the face of the Earth, how could you not expect people to occasionally gently caress with your shot?

But keep fighting the good fight lady. Here's 20k for your troubles.

Edit: poo poo, the last time I was in Time's Square I saw lots of fat people, so I don't know why she thinks she even stands out at all.

The huffpo article on her was linked on my fb timeline a while ago. She's just attention-seeking.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Xelkelvos posted:

If it was filmed outside during standard working hours then economically disadvantaged groups are naturally going to be overrepresented.

The Supreme Court has a new favorite as of 18:07 on Nov 20, 2014

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

...of SCIENCE! is a lovely person, news at 11

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Link to this cat-calling video?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

A woman just got national press for making a video where a few black :airquote:threatening:airquote: men say "hello" to her as she walks down the street in one of the most populated and foot traffic-heavy cities on earth, these people like to feel outraged and act like they're making a difference but are too afraid to leave their token multicultural bastion of safety and acceptance.

I figure there's pretty good odds that if she does get busted for faking it and/or the attention on her dries up she'll admit that some pictures were faked but that she did it to "raise awareness".
hahahaha oh my god you are loving adorable

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Madcosby posted:

Link to this cat-calling video?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nX1YzS_CYIw

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Holy poo poo. Where do you live that this kind of abuse is just saying hello?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

The Supreme Court posted:

If it was filmed outside during standard working hours then economically disadvantaged groups are naturally going to be overrepresented.

The lady they filmed was interviewed in NPR and said that whites were more represented than they were in the final video, with all the races being about evenly lovely.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

senrath posted:

The lady they filmed was interviewed in NPR and said that whites were more represented than they were in the final video, with all the races being about evenly lovely.

Maybe shethey didn't show them to make it look even more threatening?

GenderSelectScreen has a new favorite as of 10:04 on Nov 21, 2014

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Maybe she didn't show them to make it look even more threatening?

Replace she with "the people in charge of the video" and add in a "because racism" and you've probably got it right. The lady had nothing to do with the editing.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The first women who did this a few years back in brussel admitted that the video reflected her actual experience that men from africa and the middle east where the most obnoxious. Her explanation was something something social conditions let's talk about something else okay.

e: my favorite made up social stigma fattie picture is the one where she's sitting on a swing looking sad next to a curious kid. How can anyone think this crap shows anything.

unpacked robinhood has a new favorite as of 19:45 on Nov 20, 2014

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

unpacked robinhood posted:

The first women who did this a few years back in brussel admitted that the video reflected her actual experience that men from africa and the middle east where the most obnoxious. Her explanation was something something social conditions let's talk about something else okay.

e: my favorite made up social stigma fattie picture is the one where she's sitting on a swing looking sad next to a curious kid. How can anyone think this crap shows anything.

The pictures are just straight up poo poo, too. Random people who's heads are turned toward her for whatever reason. This is hilarious; this woman has an ego problem if she actually thinks she's the center of everyone's attention

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

I though that there was a lot of white guys to but they where mostly quieter and didn't really make for good video.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Sandweed posted:

I though that there was a lot of white guys to but they where mostly quieter and didn't really make for good video.

no it was literally just racism.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Stux posted:

no it was literally just racism.

No, actually while rape culture is manifest everywhere- certain manifestations of it do differ in prevalence among cultures and socioeconomic groups. All-out catcalling (like from passerby or cars, often with gestures or repetition) tends to be much more prevalent in economically disadvantaged neighborhoods, both urban and rural (with a strong skew toward urban ones- with predominantly black and Latino populations- by population density) than in other North American populations. It's an artifact of social norms (similar attitudes exist in parts of the Caribbean and Latin America) and the effects of socioeconomic depression.

It's not "just racism" (but frankly related to the long-term effects of ongoing institutional racism). And I say this as a Latino getting a Master's in anthropology with a girlfriend getting a Master's in urban education who studies this all day long.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Growing up as an affluent white I thought that catcalling was just some pop culture joke on tv that never occurred in real life. I cannot recall ever witnessing it even once until after high school.

The first time I witnessed it I thought "this must be a joke". Oh those naive days.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Hey guys, it turns out that catcalling and workplace harassment can be solved with crowdfunded t-shirts!!!

quote:

Package that all together, with a friend posting on his facebook page to discuss, the youtube video "10 hours of walking in NYC as a woman" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1XGPvbWn0A
This video created several heated debates and comments.
Was it actually harassment? Yes... because the only person who can say it was harassment, is the one harassed.
It only showed half the story. The other half of the story is that 100,000 men didn't harass her.
(male) I've never seen this happen with my female friends when we go out? Because you were with them at the time.

But all that video seemed to do was cause confusion... guys asking, then how do I approach a woman, the human race will become extinct, etc... and woman asking, how can we get this to stop safely (because calling out every guy's rude behavior can be dangerous)
WELL, I CAME UP WITH AN IDEA (yes, it's also a business idea) for a smart t-shirt that starts building awareness that this is UNACCEPTABLE behavior.
(Bolding theirs)

They never actually explain what text they'll be putting on the shirts or how it's supposed to stop harassment.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Hey guys, it turns out that catcalling and workplace harassment can be solved with crowdfunded t-shirts!!!

I'm the poorly written description of bodies pressing alongside each other and hands grazing across chests.

They never actually explain what text they'll be putting on the shirts or how it's supposed to stop harassment.

My understanding is it's going to be literally 'Un ACCEPT able'. When someone harasses you, you just point at your chest and the harasser cries in shame.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Maybe they'll put some of the spare commas they've got lying around everywhere on the shirts.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
I can't wait for the inevitable "Well if she didn't want me to stare at her chest why did she put writing on it?"

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Electric Bugaloo posted:

No, actually while rape culture is manifest everywhere- certain manifestations of it do differ in prevalence among cultures and socioeconomic groups. All-out catcalling (like from passerby or cars, often with gestures or repetition) tends to be much more prevalent in economically disadvantaged neighborhoods, both urban and rural (with a strong skew toward urban ones- with predominantly black and Latino populations- by population density) than in other North American populations. It's an artifact of social norms (similar attitudes exist in parts of the Caribbean and Latin America) and the effects of socioeconomic depression.

It's not "just racism" (but frankly related to the long-term effects of ongoing institutional racism). And I say this as a Latino getting a Master's in anthropology with a girlfriend getting a Master's in urban education who studies this all day long.

except they even admitted they got a ton of white dudes doing the same poo poo, but they just happened to be "off camera" or got covered by a "siren" or other dumb reasons they just couldn't include them.

don't buy the other stuff either, jessica williams did a similar video iirc and got construction workers, teenagers, even wall street dudes doing the exact same poo poo. income makes no difference when it comes to creepy dudes being dickheads, cos ive walked around very nice areas and cities and seen and heard cat calling by dudes in suits and briefcases. when the company that made the NYC one admits they had just as many white dudes as everyone else, but edited them out, maybe they should be looking at getting another take or something so they don't end up making a wholly unrepresentative video.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Paladinus posted:

My understanding is it's going to be literally 'Un ACCEPT able'. When someone harasses you, you just point at your chest and the harasser cries in shame.

I'd like to imagine that the wearer's hand wavers over the shirt to indicate the current rate of acceptability of whatever discussion they're in. If you're doing okay she keeps pointing to 'ACCEPTABLE' but if you start in with the creepy stuff her finger gets closer and closer to 'Un' until you cross the line.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

I'd like to imagine that the wearer's hand wavers over the shirt to indicate the current rate of acceptability of whatever discussion they're in. If you're doing okay she keeps pointing to 'ACCEPTABLE' but if you start in with the creepy stuff her finger gets closer and closer to 'Un' until you cross the line.

Or she can put her hand on 'Un' and wink at handsome and respectful men suggestively.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wibberding/the-card-clip

This guy is either completely unaware of his surroundings, or he's advertising for Costco. Or both.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

bvoid posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wibberding/the-card-clip

This guy is either completely unaware of his surroundings, or he's advertising for Costco. Or both.

Oh there's so much more that this guy is unaware of ...

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Yeah the guy who edited the video turned out to be modestly notorious for putting out some prettttty white supremacist poo poo, iirc.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Chomp8645 posted:

Growing up as an affluent white I thought that catcalling was just some pop culture joke on tv that never occurred in real life. I cannot recall ever witnessing it even once until after high school.

The first time I witnessed it I thought "this must be a joke". Oh those naive days.

I have never seen a woman get catcalled. I've worked and lived in the city, gone to school for years in a downtown Atlanta campus, and taken buses/trains as my primary source of transportation. I'm not saying it doesn't happen or isn't a real issue, I've just never seen it.

It doesn't even register for me as a means of communication. Then again, I'm a white and we prefer drunken date rape to accosting ladies on the street.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Oh there's so much more that this guy is unaware of ...

Sure, but do the makers of those "card clips" do jumping jacks after every sale?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Krispy Kareem posted:

I have never seen a woman get catcalled. I've worked and lived in the city, gone to school for years in a downtown Atlanta campus, and taken buses/trains as my primary source of transportation. I'm not saying it doesn't happen or isn't a real issue, I've just never seen it.

It doesn't even register for me as a means of communication. Then again, I'm a white and we prefer drunken date rape to accosting ladies on the street.

Must be that southern hospitality! I reckon it's those no good northern liberals doing all the catcalling tell you what.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Krispy Kareem posted:

This is ridiculous, maybe go see the ear doctor cuz you're obviously deaf and maybe blind. Catcalling is so so so common, but it takes many different forms.

I mean, guys have catcalled to girls I was dating WHILE I WAS WALKING DOWN THE STREET WITH THEM, hand in hand or whatever. This has happened multiple times, multiple girls. I can't even imagine what it must be like to be a woman walking alone.

This comes across as mean, sorry I'm not mad at you, just THE MAN

Drunk Tomato has a new favorite as of 18:15 on Nov 21, 2014

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Drunk Tomato posted:

This is ridiculous, maybe go see the ear doctor cuz you're obviously deaf and maybe blind. Catcalling is so so so common, but it takes many different forms.
Is this in the same area he mentioned, because no, it's not as obvious as you suggest. It varies immensely with where you are.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Drunk Tomato posted:

I mean, guys have catcalled to girls I was dating WHILE I WAS WALKING DOWN THE STREET WITH THEM, hand in hand or whatever. This has happened multiple times, multiple girls. I can't even imagine what it must be like to be a woman walking alone.

This comes across as mean, sorry I'm not mad at you, just THE MAN

Yeah, nope. Never seen it. I was thinking maybe it was the time of day I was in the city (weekdays, during business hours). When I lived in the city it was kind of a hippie area, so maybe granola types don't yell, "baby baby" at passing ladies.

Chomp8645 posted:

Must be that southern hospitality! I reckon it's those no good northern liberals doing all the catcalling tell you what.

Oh yeah, you get that Andrew Cuomo hanging out the window in Albany saying "ooooooobaby, I'll fillabuster that rear end. Do you feel sick, cuz I got a single payer that might cure you."

Krispy Wafer has a new favorite as of 18:35 on Nov 21, 2014

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
I've never heard people catcall women because I live in an area where people skip the catcalling and just sexually assault them. :shrug:

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
One night I've seen a random guy we started talking to with my friend fondle her thigh once it was clear she wasn't my girlfriend even though she made it clear before that she wasn't interested , while the three of us where sitting at a table. I thought it was pretty boss.

I've also heard countless first hand stories so I'm inclined to believe it's an actual thing.

e: also we can throw anecdotes at each other all day long

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I'm not saying catcalling doesn't happen, I'm just saying that I find it absurd that it actually exists as a real thing and not in the realm of books and movies.

I'm not disagreeing with you I'm just happy not to be a girl sometimes

unpacked robinhood has a new favorite as of 19:52 on Nov 21, 2014

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
I'm not saying catcalling doesn't happen, I'm just saying that I find it absurd that it actually exists as a real thing and not in the realm of books and movies.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I don't think anyone here is implying catcalling doesn't exist or isn't a problem. But I think it requires some pre-existing conditions to occur. Women don't just walk down the street and suddenly VERBAL ASSAULT. The guys doing it have to feel reasonably safe or emboldened by peers. And that's part of the problem, it's not so much the individual as the environment that spurs the unwanted attention.

A lady passes one guy in a crowded area, probably no response. Same lady walking by the same guy with 3 of his friends on a lonely street - different result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
hey could someone please post an Awful Kickstarter thank you