Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
20 hours in. This game is unbelievably good. Agreed? I usually get way bored of rpgs by this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

WYA posted:

20 hours in. This game is unbelievably good. Agreed? I usually get way bored of rpgs by this point

It's got the usual BioWare problems but in a much smaller proportion to the actual Good Stuff they do than p. much any game since ... Mass Effect 2?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
As expected from a proper MMO, lots of baddies have cleave/stomp/magic-circle poo poo turning melee DPS into a bottomless potion pit.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Solas, Blackwall, and Cole to complement my Qunari Woman voice set for maximum stoicism. It's pretty good.

AngryBooch fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 21, 2014

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

AngryBooch posted:

Solas, Blackwell, and Cole to complement my Qunari Woman voice set for maximum stoicism. It's pretty good.

Man when Solas gets angry though he gets angry.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Just noticed, do the Tranquils in this game have the brand on their head or has that art design gone away?

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I was honestly worried about Cole being annoying after the description of him being 'child-like' but he's really not, he's just got a non-human perspective of things. My party is Solas, Blackwell, and Cole too, it's funny to listen to the elf/spirit chat and then the Warden is just shaking his head in the background going "There's something... not right about those two."

He's a pretty neat character, kind of an oddball but not in a bad way. I like his little insights and mind-reading gimmick and the way other spirits react to him is great.

Note that I went pro-mages in this so I didn't see his early stuff if it's any different from the templar side, but I like how they got the naive portion of his story where he didn't know what he was out of the way before he joins up, so he's kind of already made peace with himself and he's adapting to his circumstances.

PS: Don't take Cole out hunting. I got slight disapprovals from him when I potshotted some nugs for leather... :stare:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Spikeguy posted:

Just noticed, do the Tranquils in this game have the brand on their head or has that art design gone away?

That went away. Tranquil in general are now relatively normal people with heavily dampened emotions rather than bald automatons.

Blackwall, Solas, and Cole does seem to be a popular setup.

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.

Byers2142 posted:

Set the Guard abilities to Preferred in the Tactics screen, it helps.
I don't want them taunting stuff away from me though, and the AI can't really handle timed blocks and Charging Bull.

sauer kraut posted:

As expected from a proper MMO, lots of baddies have cleave/stomp/magic-circle poo poo turning melee DPS into a bottomless potion pit.
Yeah, this is my problem. I can tank stuff without taking a scratch on my main character thanks to Guard and Shield Wall but Cassandra and Bull has zero survivability against cleaving enemies.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

How do I not get torn apart as a duel wield rogue? I'm specced into stealth, the blink attack that hits enemies from behind, and the first skill you get which does bonus flanking damage. Without any way to build guard it seems like things just wreck me.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
So without getting into spoilers, from reading the last few pages of the thread it seems like Bioware has taken off the diaper and found some clean bedsheets? Another DA:O or ME2 would be just fine with me.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

How are two handed warriors? Kind of wanted to make one.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Voyager I posted:

So without getting into spoilers, from reading the last few pages of the thread it seems like Bioware has taken off the diaper and found some clean bedsheets? Another DA:O or ME2 would be just fine with me.

I'd say this isn't up to ME2's level, and compared to DAO it's down to personal preference. I don't think it's the amazing game Bioware promised, but it's good so far.

And gently caress Skyhold. I really hope someone figures out how to make a mod to chop this place down to a sane size and remove all the excess corridors that loop around on themselves.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
My main is a two handed warrior and he rips tits

Voyager I posted:

imo this game is better than both of those combined.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

Voyager I posted:

It's okay. You can feel the direction DA2 took still dragging this game down, but it's an improvement. Get it on sale or used.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Voyager I posted:

Setting aside clumsy control and interface issues (likely patched in the not-too-distant future), it plays like an MMO with much better characters and writing. On the whole it's definitely an improvement over DA2, but it's quite different from either of the two earlier games in the series.

I suspect it might not have all that much replay value. There won't be mods coming out, and the combat, exploration, and open-world questing aren't so engaging as to make me want to replay as a different class or something anytime soon.

It's a game that has a ton of mostly pretty good elements held back by a lovely combat control setup. I'm not sure there's anything that really jumps out to me as exceptional or particularly new or innovative though. It's just good, and huge.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cythereal posted:

That went away. Tranquil in general are now relatively normal people with heavily dampened emotions rather than bald automatons.

Blackwall, Solas, and Cole does seem to be a popular setup.

That's because they are the best characters.

Interesting that it's such a common combination though. I try to swap out people as appropriate when I can but lean on those three. Cole is such a killing machine it's crazy, and Blackwall is on the other end of the spectrum of being unkillable.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So, I have an exclamation mark in a barn on the Skyhold map where Blackwall supposedly is, but he isnt. Guess I'm glitched?

E:nevermind, he outside the barn well away from the mark. Huh

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 21, 2014

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Since someone said the rest of the companions gets her dialog anyway, I told Sera to leave in Skyhold. She actually huffed 'WELL YEAH I QUIT ANYWAY' like a petulant child. Thank god it wasn't too late to tell her to piss off :feelsgood:

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

Bob NewSCART posted:

How do I not get torn apart as a duel wield rogue? I'm specced into stealth, the blink attack that hits enemies from behind, and the first skill you get which does bonus flanking damage. Without any way to build guard it seems like things just wreck me.

Get a tanking buddy with Taunt, and since you already have Stealth you can put a point into the Easy to Miss passive on the Subterfuge tree, which reduces the threat you generate and basically nullifies it when you're flanking- since you have a bunch of TWF abilities that do more things on the flank, always be flanking with your tanking buddy. Alternatively put a point or two into Parry and then get good at blocking things. Later in the game you can spec into Assassin and get an ability that resets the cooldown on Stealth whenever you kill a dude, letting you get in and out quickly. Also, make friends with warriors and mages who can stun, freeze and paralyze enemies, then use your Precision Detonator abilities to blow them up. Mage buddies can also give you barriers, especially barriers that freeze enemies when they expire. Cooperate and pick targets of opportunity, aiming for the weakest people first so you can explode them and keep moving around.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
I ordered the PS3 version of the game and it came today, I was so excited to play it but it's going onto ebay.

The game is unplayable on a SD Television, the text is unreadabley small especially when it leaves the screen so fast. In a text heavy game like this it is unacceptable to not have an option to increase the font size. Even going right up to the television I still can't read the text during the War Room segments. The horrible font and transparent panels that the text appear in don't help either (especially when you have white text and the first part of the game is in a snowy area).

I know I'm going to get a load of 'get a HD television' comments but why should I have to, they released a game that on a console that plays in SD and it should be playable in the format.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

All I need to do for the Knight-Enchanter training quest is to get the class manual. I read somewhere that I can find that in Vivienne's quarters in skyhold. I just spent close to an hour running in circles around the place - I just got there - and I have no idea where in skyhold her quarters are. She was hanging out in the courtyard right in front of the stairs up to the main hall, now she just seems to be gone. Where does she normally hang out in skyhold? Is that even where I need to go to get the documents I need for the specialization quest?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Digital Osmosis posted:

All I need to do for the Knight-Enchanter training quest is to get the class manual. I read somewhere that I can find that in Vivienne's quarters in skyhold. I just spent close to an hour running in circles around the place - I just got there - and I have no idea where in skyhold her quarters are. She was hanging out in the courtyard right in front of the stairs up to the main hall, now she just seems to be gone. Where does she normally hang out in skyhold? Is that even where I need to go to get the documents I need for the specialization quest?

Go up the stairs in the main hall building, and Vivienne is front of the big windows on the second floor of the main hall. The scroll you need is right next to her.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

Digital Osmosis posted:

Second level, overlooking the main hall. Stand at the throne, take the second door on the left. Up the steps, go to the left, she's at the windows.

KoB
May 1, 2009

DeadBonesBrook posted:

I ordered the PS3 version of the game and it came today, I was so excited to play it but it's going onto ebay.

The game is unplayable on a SD Television, the text is unreadabley small especially when it leaves the screen so fast. In a text heavy game like this it is unacceptable to not have an option to increase the font size. Even going right up to the television I still can't read the text during the War Room segments. The horrible font and transparent panels that the text appear in don't help either (especially when you have white text and the first part of the game is in a snowy area).

I know I'm going to get a load of 'get a HD television' comments but why should I have to, they released a game that on a console that plays in SD and it should be playable in the format.

Im not disagreeing here, but Im not sure how you got much use out of your PS3 at all with an SD TV. I thought it was bullshit too, but I couldnt read poo poo on my SD TV in like 2008 with my 360.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Noirex posted:

Since someone said the rest of the companions gets her dialog anyway, I told Sera to leave in Skyhold. She actually huffed 'WELL YEAH I QUIT ANYWAY' like a petulant child. Thank god it wasn't too late to tell her to piss off :feelsgood:

You can actually learn more about your remaining companions by having less companions overall ( since they'll show up more often/have more to say/have more ideas to fill those gaps ). So technically by taking Sera, you are reducing the amount of content you want, for more Sera.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DeadBonesBrook posted:

The game is unplayable on a SD Television, the text is unreadabley small especially when it leaves the screen so fast.

Every text-heavy RPG/action RPG for the last, I dunno, 4 years has been unplayable on SD. Dunno how you missed that.

I'm actually warming up to Sera. Blackwall is the best though. I'm a bit confused about him though, given what the past two games have told us about Gray Wardens. By all rights he should be a total raving lunatic by now, yet he seems to be completely sane? I guess this is something that might come up later, or just never come up at all? Or has he only been a Grey Warden for like a month or something? :confused:

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

KoB posted:

Im not disagreeing here, but Im not sure how you got much use out of your PS3 at all with an SD TV. I thought it was bullshit too, but I couldnt read poo poo on my SD TV in like 2008 with my 360.

I've had a PS3 for a year now and before that I owned a 360 for years, all this time I've only used SD televisions and never had this issue before.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Anybody have trouble finishing the quest in the Hinterlands where you find the dude's ring on a Templar and have to return it to the wife? I see the marker icon for it near her home but the wife is nowhere to be found.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rookersh posted:

You can actually learn more about your remaining companions by having less companions overall ( since they'll show up more often/have more to say/have more ideas to fill those gaps ). So technically by taking Sera, you are reducing the amount of content you want, for more Sera.

I dunno, I used Sera for about ten minutes then dropped her for Varric in my squad, who has since been replaced by Cole as a dagger rogue. Only chatter I've heard out of Sera has been when I've talked to her and pissed her off for being anti-Chantry and pro-elf.

Blackwall did mention her in a banter with Solas, that Sera wanted Blackwall to ask Solas something.

Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?
I think I figured out my Solas romance problem. I just flirted with Sera (I just compulsively choose that option whenever it's available) and she disapproved because apparently I'm in a relationship with Blackwall. And apparently I can break up with him until I do a sidequest with him. This is slightly annoying since all I did was hit the flirt option twice.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

I have no idea how I missed that, I really was looking forever. Well, at least I know how to get between the kitchen and the dungeon really quickly. Thanks!

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So, Solas hasn't agreed with any of my Judgements, and now he's being a frosty little bitch. I thought we were bros :negative:

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

I would crawl ass-naked over a sea of broken glass just to kiss a dick
I don't like locking myself out of stuff, especially on my first runthrough, but man Sera is just the worst.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Digital Osmosis posted:

I have no idea how I missed that, I really was looking forever. Well, at least I know how to get between the kitchen and the dungeon really quickly. Thanks!

Skyhold, like the rest of the game, is loving humongous. I only just realized there's an actual dungeon there.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't understand why Solas disapproves of being pro-Dalish. :confused:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

So, Solas hasn't agreed with any of my Judgements, and now he's being a frosty little bitch. I thought we were bros :negative:

Only judgment I've seen was putting Alexius to work as a researcher for the Inquisition. IIRC, Solas, Dorian, and Vivienne all liked it.

quote:

I don't understand why Solas disapproves of being pro-Dalish.

He, uh, has his reasons. You learn something about him after the credits that makes everything about Solas make a lot more sense.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
The previous two games made it really easy to sympathize with the mages but I just chose the mages over templars in this one and holy poo poo are they just colossal idiots and gently caress ups in this. Basically children with fire that cannot be left alone at all.

Tokubetsu fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 21, 2014

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Cythereal posted:

Only judgment I've seen was putting Alexius to work as a researcher for the Inquisition. IIRC, Solas, Dorian, and Vivienne all liked it.

He, uh, has his reasons. You learn something about him after the credits that makes everything about Solas make a lot more sense.

Oh, I guess it was the Grey Warden fiasco with the Judgment after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Tokubetsu posted:

The previous two games made it really easy to sympathize with the mages but I just chose the mages over templars in this one and holy poo poo are they just colossal idiots and gently caress ups in this. Basically children with fire that cannot be left alone at all.

I don't know how I'm supposed to have any motivation for wanting to meet with the Templars when all I know about them is that they just punched a woman in the face and then went "PEACE WE'RE OUT C'MON BROS".

It's like everyone in every Dragon Age game is a complete moron except for the PC. And even that isn't always true.

• Locked thread