Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Bored posted:

Somebody in the Bill Cosby is a rapist thread linked to a "Gawker" article about it. This was in the comments section.

As far as I can tell, that is a reply to the writer and not another commenter. Seemed kinda bazaar to me.

Woody Allen might still get a lot of respect in Hollywood, but even a lot of his fans feel really loving uncomfortable with the poo poo he did (and the poo poo he probably did). I imagine the same will happen with Cosby. You can't really excise the man from entertainment history, no matter what he gets accused of. It'll just be something people conveniently forget or do their best to ignore.

Arsonist Daria has a new favorite as of 01:57 on Nov 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Woody Allen might still get a lot of respect in Hollywood, but even a lot of his fans feel really loving uncomfortable with the poo poo he did (and the poo poo he probably did). I imagine the same will happen with Cosby. You can't really excise the man from entertainment history, no matter what he gets accused of. It'll just be something people conveniently forget or do their best to ignore.

Two words: Roman Polanski

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Two words: Roman Polanski

It's okay, that wasn't rape-rape

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Nckdictator posted:

It's okay, that wasn't rape-rape

What would rape-rape-rape entail?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Don't worry folks, he's just "asking questions"!

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Big-budget reboots of cartoons you watched as a kid. :colbert:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

A significant amount of fiber in your diet.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I had hoped to avoid idiots after tonight's speech, but I suppose not.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

gradenko_2000 posted:

Don't worry folks, he's just "asking questions"!

Someone tried to talk my mom out of getting her flu shots. Rather than talking about what could happen to someone who gets the flu (like, I dunno, me, when I got post-flu pneumonia in both lungs at 20) I went with what can happen to the elderly and infirm you care about.

Also, someone posted this to my grandfather's wall and I called them a loving idiot:

He's on blood thinners, he can't have kale, but my aunt insists it'll keep him safe from everything.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
What the gently caress is kale anyways? I feel like this just popped up randomly a few months ago and is the new magic health food that'll cure cancer, make you lose weight and literally everything.

Also anti-vaccers are just about the group that pisses me off the most. A lot of others are just sort of stupid and harmless crazy, and at worst are harmful just to themselves. loving antivax assholes genuinely make the world a worse place for obvious reasons.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Tracula posted:

What the gently caress is kale anyways? I feel like this just popped up randomly a few months ago and is the new magic health food that'll cure cancer, make you lose weight and literally everything.

It's a leafy green that's high as poo poo in vitamin K, so it'll start killing a bunch of old people soon.

Like, no joke, the anti-vax health food crowd is going to push it on a bunch of people who hear it's very healthy, and the health food crowd isn't going to know what drugs their on and the like. It's gonna be a mess.

Cunty McKooze
Jun 16, 2009
I have a friend who I've known for like 12 years, and I've watched her parent and always thought, "This lady gets it." She just really seems like a smart, caring, fun parent. Recently, I found out she's an anti-vaxxer and her three youngest (out of 4) have not had any vaccinations. I was in shock. I still can't believe it. I've always thought of her as a reasonable, intelligent person.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Baudolino posted:

People i know. I am also pretty sure i have read that argument in my local newspaper.They geuninly beleive rigthly or wrongly that helping abused women is so important that it is wrong to divert resources to helping abused men. I am not saying there are tons of people saying this, but a few are.

And they're super pathetic. We should be helping people who need help, and that's as complicated as it has to get.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Baudolino posted:

But people will often say that the abuse women face must be priortized and that sadly we can not also help the men because no society has infinite resources. Which i imagine is a hard to to hear. I guess it is only human to be so caugth up in your own pain that all other issues seem like they at most deserve lip service. The weird thing is perhaps they are rigth? Perhaps the way to get the maximum good for the minimum cost is to cut abused men off from any help and direct 100% of it to abused women?

I think you are horrifically misinterpreting a common explanation used to reason with people regarding why bringing up men's rights every single time feminism/women's social issues are discussed is not always appropriate, that explanation being "Women's issues are prioritized in discussions of gender inequality because they are more often victims than men are and still experience greater social injustice, and when the point is to try and bring light to women's struggles because they are often overlooked or minimized in lieu of men's needs, turning the discussion towards abuse men face tends to shift the lens entirely back towards men again and women fall out of the discussion". No one says 100% of our social resources must go towards helping abused women and abused women only - that's insanely foolish by any standard, any rational person knows that issues such as child abuse, domestic abuse against men, transphobia, and racism are just as valid to concentrate resources on (and many more! We live in a 1st world society, we don't need to only help one disadvantaged group only and call it a day).

Frankly, what you suggested sounds like someone trying to paint feminists as selfish boogeymen; either you misunderstood something, or someone trolled you and you are incredibly gullible. Or we could go with the least charitable option, which is that you are being deliberately misrepresentative and hyperbolic in order to manipulate the situation to further your own agenda. But let's leave that one on the backburner for now.

StrangersInTheNight has a new favorite as of 07:34 on Nov 21, 2014

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Tracula posted:

It's hella tasty shallow fried to the point of crispiness with a little oil and a salty sauce like soy or worcestershire. Also very high in a bunch of vitamins and reasonably high in iron. Didn't know it could have drug/pre existing condition interactions because of the potassium content though, that's interesting.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Fatkraken posted:

It's hella tasty shallow fried to the point of crispiness with a little oil and a salty sauce like soy or worcestershire. Also very high in a bunch of vitamins and reasonably high in iron. Didn't know it could have drug/pre existing condition interactions because of the potassium content though, that's interesting.

Kale is delicious, I recommend it!. It's also pretty versatile, you can do that, or stick it in the oven to make Kale chips, steam it as you would to cabbage or make soup etc. It's one of these crops which grows well in cold climates so you get in Scotland etc, it goes in an out of popularity.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Aramoro posted:

Kale is delicious, I recommend it!. It's also pretty versatile, you can do that, or stick it in the oven to make Kale chips, steam it as you would to cabbage or make soup etc.

You forgot the best way to eat Kale :colbert:

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Someone tried to talk my mom out of getting her flu shots. Rather than talking about what could happen to someone who gets the flu (like, I dunno, me, when I got post-flu pneumonia in both lungs at 20) I went with what can happen to the elderly and infirm you care about.

Also, someone posted this to my grandfather's wall and I called them a loving idiot:

He's on blood thinners, he can't have kale, but my aunt insists it'll keep him safe from everything.

It sounds to me he'd be just fine if he wasn't taking the poison blood thinners from big pharma :smug:

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Tracula posted:

Also anti-vaccers are just about the group that pisses me off the most. A lot of others are just sort of stupid and harmless crazy, and at worst are harmful just to themselves. loving antivax assholes genuinely make the world a worse place for obvious reasons.

Apparently its a fairly common crop that dairy cows are grazed on, at least here in New Zealand.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

Tracula posted:

Really commonly eaten in the Netherlands as part of one of their most famous dishes, boerenkool (or stamppot boerenkool).

It's kale and potatoes mashed together with sausage on top.

I have yet to hear about this extremely popular dish killing old people.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul
Kale is far more vile than anything made up of 85% water has any right to be. Kale can go straight to hell and rot forever and ever.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Fatkraken posted:

Vitamin K isn't potassium.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
I added some kale once to my made-up, random juice recipes and it's bitter as gently caress. I'm sure it's good for you and all, but probably best to cook it somehow.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It's collard greens with better marketing

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Centripetal Horse posted:

Kale can go straight to hell and rot forever and ever.

You'll be there to see it happen you son of a bitch :argh:

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

You'll be there to see it happen you son of a bitch :argh:

You kale fans disgust me. In my day, you knew your place and you stayed hidden so us decent folk and our taste buds didn't have to tolerate your perversion.

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

CheesyDog posted:

Yep, more or less. Doesn't have that much more Vitamin K than plain old spinach does either.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Part of that species of plant including Brussels Sprouts and cabbage too.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

quote:

Please pray for me I have been diagnosed with malignant fibromyalgia

These are the sorts of health-related posts I get in my feed.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Mr E posted:

I had hoped to avoid idiots after tonight's speech, but I suppose not.

Well, she's right, respect is EARNED. Obviously, as part of a military family, George W. Bush earned her respect by lying about WMDs and sending the troops overseas to die by the thousands in a pointless war. But Obummer saluted with a coffee cup in hand (probably a sissy latte), so that basically amounts to treason.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Well, she's right, respect is EARNED. Obviously, as part of a military family, George W. Bush earned her respect by lying about WMDs and sending the troops overseas to die by the thousands in a pointless war. But Obummer saluted with a coffee cup in hand (probably a sissy latte), so that basically amounts to treason.

It's funny because no one in her family is actually in the military, she just lives near a large base. I almost brought up dog salute but stopped myself.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

:ssh: School lunches always looked like poo poo, but suddenly they used to be very good when Michelle Obama creates an initiative to change them!

Honestly, it looks no worse than the poo poo I got in school growing up. Cafeteria food is always pretty bad, and presentation was never a big aspect of it (because you're serving kids). I'd go out on a limb and say that if I were served this in school, it looks like a slightly higher quality lunch.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Canned green beans that look so over cooked that they turn into flavorless poo poo paste? Looks exactly like a school lunch from 1985 to me.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

CheesyDog posted:

I read something a few years ago that said every big new food fad is all Big Food/Agriculture marketing to get rid of a large surplus they some how got.

Like avocados. Or that thing before avocados.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

PhazonLink posted:

Like avocados. Or that thing before avocados.

But avocados are like one of the greatest things ever. I hope they have a surplus for eternity.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Waaaaaaah waaaaaah no mom I don't want to eat my vegetables waaaah waaaaah.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I agree, teenagers should decide national policy.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

HellCopter posted:

How Can Immigration Reform Be Real If Our Citizens Aren't Real

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

HellCopter posted:

you really gonna hate on the 26th amendment rn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
School Lunches Look Like Puke!: literally a joke from our student newspaper in 1995.

• Locked thread