Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Geostomp posted:

You can turn Cassandra into a two handed warrior, if you want. Any companion can use either of the weapons for their class, though Varric can only use Bianca instead of regular bows. As for other party members, you get their quests after your first big meeting with the Chantry in Orlais.

Err i more meant how do people find their classes, are they fun or enjoyable to play?

I am getting really sick of being a mage, every single battle consists of me sitting at the back and just dumping AOE combo attacks killing pretty much everything without breaking a sweat. I tried the Knight Enchanter, and it just felt even more repetitive with me rushing up paralyizing and just one shotting everything paralyzed with my spectral blade.

I was considering restarting, as something different. But at the same time i don't know if i can bring myself to restart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I like warrior, especially two handed--people have different ideas of what makes a great warrior, but I like Cass as a shield warrior because I can safely ignore her and she'll usually end a fight with full guard. Haven't done rogue beyond Varric, but people have chimed in several times to say that double daggers rogues, especially assassins, are great for deleting targets off the map.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

iGestalt posted:

Huh. That does paint the Templars in a far better light now. Far more the "Protecting the Mage -and- the rest of the world" than "Protecting the world, screw the mage"

Yeah, that's significantly less lovely.

quote:

(as a bonus, I like that if you import a worldstate where Merrill killed her clan you can run into the sole survivor in DAI).

Was that the one elf in the Hinterlands looking for an artifact or whatever? I don't even remember the outcome of that quest in DA2 though. It's amazing how much I've forgotten about the last two games. Also the Dalish elf start isn't part of the same clan the Warden would be if you started as one in DAO are they?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah, that's significantly less lovely.

I wonder if that ties in with one of the books. I remember someone saying one of the books went into the idea of making tranquility less harsh, or reversing it. Perhaps they have a new method?

Talking to the researcher in Haven makes it sound like tranquils (as it was applied before the war broke out) are still what they used to be--you're a kind of helpless, unassuming droid.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Rookersh posted:

They retconned Tranquiling. Now you are the same exact person you were, and still have all your normal thoughts/opinions, you just don't feel powerful emotions/can't cast Magic. But you can still feel emotions ( just not powerful ones ), and it wears off after a few years, during which time the Templars apparently try to encourage them to be better people/not crazy.

I'm guessing the rapist Templar targeting Tranquil Mages because they wouldn't fight back caused a big enough uproar they decided to retcon it a bit. Also because there wasn't any good justification for it.

While that does paint the Templars/Chantry in a better light, it goes back on a lot of the story and is pretty blatantly ignoring one of the biggest reasons for the rebellion. Not to mention many scenes they've had in the games and books.

I hope that isn't what they're going with from here on in.

Lotish posted:

I wonder if that ties in with one of the books. I remember someone saying one of the books went into the idea of making tranquility less harsh, or reversing it. Perhaps they have a new method?

Talking to the researcher in Haven makes it sound like tranquils (as it was applied before the war broke out) are still what they used to be--you're a kind of helpless, unassuming droid.

The book brought up the potential for curing the condition, specifically stating that even the Chantry barely understands what it does and that it's usually permanent. Which only makes this potential retcon even dumber.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

RBA Starblade posted:

I just want it to stop unpausing the game every time I take control of another character. It's incredibly annoying especially if you're trying to set up barriers.

Pop into tactical mode and it won't unpause you when you switch.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I really regret specializing into Knight Enchanter over Rift Mage. It's pretty unstoppable, but its damage output is relatively low and it's a boring style of play.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Rookersh posted:

They retconned Tranquiling. Now you are the same exact person you were, and still have all your normal thoughts/opinions, you just don't feel powerful emotions/can't cast Magic. But you can still feel emotions ( just not powerful ones ), and it wears off after a few years, during which time the Templars apparently try to encourage them to be better people/not crazy.

I'm guessing the rapist Templar targeting Tranquil Mages because they wouldn't fight back caused a big enough uproar they decided to retcon it a bit. Also because there wasn't any good justification for it.

Where are you getting that from? Both the Tranquil mages I've met so far have had both the forehead marks and the totally emotionless hollowed-out husk thing from the earlier games going on.

The creature researcher who can't remember why she was interested in animals when she was younger. :smith:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
How the hell do you finish the Dead Hand puzzle? Is there some ability that can pull levers through the bars or something?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm guessing that different people also respond to Tranquility differently, or there are different ways of doing it. I'd accept either as not really a retcon but simply revealing new information not previously available to the PC.

I don't have a problem with the time magic plot, either, as contradicting previously established lore. It's explicitly a new invention only possible thanks to the Breach and its wellspring of magical energy.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

RBA Starblade posted:

Was that the one elf in the Hinterlands looking for an artifact or whatever?

Yes, the one from Solas' quest, she mentions that her whole clan was killed by blood magic, I don't recall if she specifically named anyone so I might just be assuming a connection where none exists though.

quote:

Also the Dalish elf start isn't part of the same clan the Warden would be if you started as one in DAO are they?

Yeah, they're from different clans (I don't remember the name of the DAO clan though).

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
Welp, just recruited Sera

:shepicide:

She's like a caricature of every Guy Ritchie cockney character without the charm.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

gently caress it, as soon as I get home I'm going to Orlais. I set myself a challenge to clear out the Hinterlands and I've done okay by that, but it's time to actually meet these people ya'll keep talking about.

Stalkerr
Jun 10, 2012

Waste no part of the Druffalo.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dallan Invictus posted:

Yes, the one from Solas' quest, she mentions that her whole clan was killed by blood magic, I don't recall if she specifically named anyone so I might just be assuming a connection where none exists though.

She didn't when I played but thinking about it I'm pretty sure Merrill did gently caress up and get everyone killed.

e: Oh, no, I got her to break the mirror so I guess that means they just ran her out of town. Looking it up it looks like that one elf is unrelated.

quote:

Yeah, they're from different clans (I don't remember the name of the DAO clan though).

All I really remember is my Warden made a new homeland for the elves that apparently didn't actually happen and nothing in any game remembered to tell me why that was.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Cythereal posted:

I don't have a problem with the time magic plot, either, as contradicting previously established lore. It's explicitly a new invention only possible thanks to the Breach and its wellspring of magical energy.

The Mage Quest sounds so much more interesting than the Templar Quest because it has time travel shenanigans.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lotish posted:

gently caress it, as soon as I get home I'm going to Orlais. I set myself a challenge to clear out the Hinterlands and I've done okay by that, but it's time to actually meet these people ya'll keep talking about.

Never resist the urge to tell crowds full of people that the Herald of Andraste thinks the Maker is a lie. Bonus points if you get the option - from the history perk - when talking with a certain revered mother to shut her the gently caress up by telling her that the Chant of Light suppressed the Canticle of Thane Shartan in order to justify continued hatred and oppression towards elves.

quote:

All I really remember is my Warden made a new homeland for the elves that apparently didn't actually happen and nothing in any game remembered to tell me why that was.

It's mentioned briefly in DA2 and was clarified by Gaider: the Chantry threatened an exalted march on Ferelden if Alistair/Anora didn't withdraw that new homeland promise.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Dallan Invictus posted:

I went to the wiki to look this up and there's a helpful list of all known Dalish clans:

quote:

Alerion, the clan Merrill was born into.
Lavellan, the elven Inquisitor's clan.
Ralaferin clan, whose Keeper is Elindra (formerly Gisharel), and whose First is Neria.[25]
Sabrae, the Dalish Warden's clan.
Virnehn, the clan of Thelhen.
Unnamed Velanna's clan.
Unnamed Yevven's clan.
Unnamed Zathrian's clan.
Unnamed Ariane's clan.
Unnamed clan that found young Loghain and Maric in the Korcari Wilds.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

SgtSteel91 posted:

The Mage Quest sounds so much more interesting than the Templar Quest because it has time travel shenanigans.

It also has horribly disfigured, embittered Leliana and access to Dorian.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

It's mentioned briefly in DA2 and was clarified by Gaider: the Chantry threatened an exalted march on Ferelden if Alistair/Anora didn't withdraw that new homeland promise.

Well I guess that means it's time to be an even huger dick to the Chantry than before.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Geostomp posted:

It also has horribly disfigured, embittered Leliana and access to Dorian.

The conversations between Leliana and Dorian there were so great.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

RBA Starblade posted:

Well I guess that means it's time to be an even huger dick to the Chantry than before.

It's the reason why the royal boon thing wasn't in the Keep. Gaider decided that the Chantry decided to be a dick in the case of the mage, Dalish elf, city elf, or dwarf boons.

Calling the Chantry out on its poo poo and how the original Chant of Light had a long book/canticle about the Dalish army that was part of Andraste's rebellion, and how her greatest general was a Dalish warlord, was very satisfying. Worth that conversation perk right there. Andraste explicitly honored her agreement with the Dalish to give them a land of their own for their aid in the war against Tevinter, and the Chantry declared that part of the Chant of Light heretical and a hoax right before the Chantry marched on the Dales.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 21, 2014

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cythereal posted:

There's a old Tevinter dungeon in the Western Approaches that actually has some time stop shenanigans going on, but it doesn't quite seem at the level at the outright "back to the future" levels that Alexius/Dorian pulled off.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Just beat the game, clocking in at 41 hours played (probably minus a few hours spent loving around at the start with settings and character creation and being AFK). Some random thoughts:

The ending sequence was really easy, I think Cassandra lost maybe a total of two bars of health in it. This was with me being level 16 and the bosses level 18. The very final part admittedly bugged out for me and just jumped to the ending cutscene after 10 seconds though. The most memorable part was Corypheus insulting my Dwarvenness.

The game was really easy in general, I played on normal and only struggled slightly once with the boss at the end of the templar quest which was pretty early on.

I'm really not sure what Bioware was thinking when they made the main plot rely so heavily on a Dragon Age 2 DLC. I'm really happy I decided to play though all DLCs the weekend before the game was released on a whim or I would have been really confused!Corypheus could have been a cool villain but he was really low effort. I really want to know what people who haven't played the earlier Dragon Age games though about the plot because there are sections I think would be really confusing if you haven't like Morrigan suddenly showing up with all her baggage, particularly since I don't think these games are supposed to be 'sequential' in the same way as the Mass Effect series are.

The main story was pretty cool in general but I think it peaked at the Grey Warden base mission. The very last mission felt a bit rushed, I hit the start mission button and then half an hour later the game was over :effort: it was no Siege of Denerim/Old God baby discussions, that's for sure. The last shot of the game being me and Cassandra staring into the sunset was really nice though :3:

Also holy poo poo that post-credits scene :stare: I'm definitely playing a female elf romancing Solas in my next playthrough.

e; I really think the really would have benefited from an intro movie and a short gameplay sequence at the start before poo poo goes down like Origins. It just throws you into the game without context and certain things like the Divine ends up becoming really important but you have no way of relating to it.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 21, 2014

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

So Elves went from being Americans to being Welsh to being Cockneys?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

When I craft a Bianca upgrade, does it automatically get applied or is there something else I have to do?

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

@ Kainser

Did any of your companions turn on you or left due to low approval?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Guys, the game was totally super easy. I played on normal. But it was totally super easy.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

When I craft a Bianca upgrade, does it automatically get applied or is there something else I have to do?

YOu have to go to the armorer and insert it into the weapon slot yourself.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Cythereal posted:

It's the reason why the royal boon thing wasn't in the Keep. Gaider decided that the Chantry decided to be a dick in the case of the mage, Dalish elf, city elf, or dwarf boons.

Calling the Chantry out on its poo poo :words:

Way to make me regret not getting that perk until after that conversation. It does make a lot of sense that the Chantry would be dicks about most of those boons and in a position to make their opinions stick, so it's hard to be mad at Gaider for pulling Status Quo Enforcement in that particular case.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 21, 2014

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Rincewind posted:

Where are you getting that from? Both the Tranquil mages I've met so far have had both the forehead marks and the totally emotionless hollowed-out husk thing from the earlier games going on.

The creature researcher who can't remember why she was interested in animals when she was younger. :smith:

From one of the Templars. They mention it only lasts a short time ( still months/years, but not forever ), and they used to use that time to teach the Mages how to better protect themselves from demons, so when they stop being Tranquil they'll be able to rejoin society.

This is also why Wynne/Irving/the Ferelden Circle is so ok with having a Tranquil quartermaster, and why most of the Circles had Tranquil Mages rolling around. Because hey, they still needed to be taught how to handle themselves once the Rite wore off.

It was a tool to allow rehabilitation. If they just wanted to protect the world from the Mages they'd have just killed them.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Go to the blacksmith and modify it.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

xNarUtoRKOrton420x posted:

So Elves went from being Americans to being Welsh to being Cockneys?

Most elves still sound Welsh; Sera just grew up on the mean streets of Denerim.

(I guess the player Dalish elf will also sound either English or American since there's no Welsh voice set, but you know.)

SgtSteel91 posted:

@ Kainser

I am avoiding ending spoilers like the plague but I would very much like to know this one thing.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

SgtSteel91 posted:

@ Kainser

Nope. (epilogue spoiler)Solas left in the epilogue but that's it. I didn't bother with the random collectathon companion quests and didn't try maxing their approval either so it seems like it's pretty easy to maintain their approval. Solas was the only companion that was noticeably getting mad at me in conversations.

Drifter posted:

Guys, the game was totally super easy. I played on normal. But it was totally super easy.

I wasn't expecting a huge challenge or anything, but it really got kinda ridiculous towards the end. I didn't even bother with crafting and stuff just fell over. The difficulty curve in the game is kinda bad, I struggled much more with random bears in the hinterlands than the final boss.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rincewind posted:

(I guess the player Dalish elf will also sound either English or American since there's no Welsh voice set, but you know.)

Yeah, elf and human default to English, dwarf and qunari to American.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Kainser posted:

I wasn't expecting a huge challenge or anything, but it really got kinda ridiculous towards the end. I didn't even bother with crafting and stuff just fell over. The difficulty curve in the game is kinda bad, I struggled much more with random bears in the hinterlands than the final boss.

So play on hard. It keeps you on your toes.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Kainser posted:

I struggled much more with random bears in the hinterlands than the final boss.

I am still unconvinced that Bears aren't the single greatest threat to Thedas. Nothing like watching a single Bear massacre an entire party of Red Templars.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Rookersh posted:

From one of the Templars. They mention it only lasts a short time ( still months/years, but not forever ), and they used to use that time to teach the Mages how to better protect themselves from demons, so when they stop being Tranquil they'll be able to rejoin society.

This is also why Wynne/Irving/the Ferelden Circle is so ok with having a Tranquil quartermaster, and why most of the Circles had Tranquil Mages rolling around. Because hey, they still needed to be taught how to handle themselves once the Rite wore off.

It was a tool to allow rehabilitation. If they just wanted to protect the world from the Mages they'd have just killed them.

I refuse to believe that because it takes away from pretty much all the weight it ever had. It makes no sense given what we've heard and seen and is just a blatantly stupid retcon if they say so. Where exactly did this come up?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Cythereal posted:

No time for a dalliance with a rising power to be reckoned with in Thedas, no chance to influence the highest levels of the Inquisition's leadership? Strange set of priorities, and she'd be an infinitely preferable romance option to Sera, but ah well.

Man, this was from a bit back, but could you imagine how amazing people's reactions would be to a non-white lesbian companion character? You could finally unite the homophobes and the racists.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Geostomp posted:

I refuse to believe that because it takes away from pretty much all the weight it ever had. It makes no sense given what we've heard and seen and is just a blatantly stupid retcon if they say so. Where exactly did this come up?

Yeah, thats distinctly untrue. It also blatantly contradicts Cassandra's loyalty mission (which is great).

Tranquility is still totally a permanent and horrific thing for mages. and the Seekers always knew how to reverse it and brutally killed anyone else who ever found out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

KittyEmpress posted:

Man, this was from a bit back, but could you imagine how amazing people's reactions would be to a non-white lesbian companion character? You could finally unite the homophobes and the racists.

And I would enjoy every second of it. A lovely, smart, capable black woman who knows what she wants? Why oh why couldn't that be an option instead of a British street punk stereotype whose idea of a perfect romantic gift is apparently shaving your pubes into an obscene shape, if that spoiler I read is to be believed?

• Locked thread