Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Dead on Arrival posted:

Script kiddies and their DDoS attacks. This poo poo is getting old.

thanks. rip game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Baram posted:

anyone know what this means

Anyone need a referral code?

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
Someone said servers are down but I'm at work so I can't check here have a recruitment code

MR3MTU2S

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

Jose Valasquez posted:

Anyone need a referral code?

Sure!

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Hello person who used my referral code please let me know who you are because I will offer a ~Monetary Reward~ and give u a pearl necklace (some 100% handiwork guaranteed level 29 jewelry) to entice you to subscribe for at least a mo.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Dead on Arrival posted:

Script kiddies and their DDoS attacks. This poo poo is getting old.

FYI - not all DDOS's have to be intentional. There could be someone that hosed up their code and pointed it at the portal, or a FFXIV programmer could have done so. poo poo like that can and does happen sometimes.

Doesn't have to necessarily be script kiddies.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Baram posted:

anyone know what this means

I dunno if there's still a DDoS or whatever going on, but when I reinstalled Windows, it was giving me that error and it turned out to be NOD32 blocking the game from connecting to the internet. Check your antivirus/firewall settings.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

drunk asian neighbor posted:

I dunno if there's still a DDoS or whatever going on, but when I reinstalled Windows, it was giving me that error and it turned out to be NOD32 blocking the game from connecting to the internet. Check your antivirus/firewall settings.

i think it's the launcher timing out or something because it would just hang for ~30 seconds then pop that error. after a couple tries it worked fine though.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

notwithoutmyanus posted:

FYI - not all DDOS's have to be intentional. There could be someone that hosed up their code and pointed it at the portal, or a FFXIV programmer could have done so. poo poo like that can and does happen sometimes.

Doesn't have to necessarily be script kiddies.

The previous login difficulties were officially reported as DDoS attacks. It's reasonable to assume that the continuing ones are also of similar origin.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

zolthorg posted:

Hello person who used my referral code please let me know who you are because I will offer a ~Monetary Reward~ and give u a pearl necklace (some 100% handiwork guaranteed level 29 jewelry) to entice you to subscribe for at least a mo.
Same to the person who used my referral code + subbed for 90 days, but instead of monetary reward please see me for 1 (one) Halloween cookie thing.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
If I wanted to see dungeons at some point as a new character, did I make a mistake by not being a tank? Or is it best to save alting for your tank because of his lack of queue times?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Depends on your degree of patience, really. Picking a DPS to level first isn't entirely a bad idea though, primarily because story quests make up a huge chunk of your first class' journey to 50. The wait times aren't terrifyingly severe anymore, either, unlike the first couple weeks after Ninja's launch.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

If I wanted to see dungeons at some point as a new character, did I make a mistake by not being a tank? Or is it best to save alting for your tank because of his lack of queue times?

I personally think tanking a dungeon on your first run of it is way harder than healing or DPSing it (on your first run), but tank queue is probably the fastest queue you can get.

And yeah considering how easy tanks are to level with fast queues having a dps be your first class to get that sweet story exp is nice.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

As much as our thread's local Hardcore Progression raiders are a valuable source of knowledge and experience, they've still got some hilariously terrible ideas about accessibility.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Thanks guys, I'll stick to DPSing to both get that sweet story exp and maybe learn some dungeons before I embarrass myself.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

If you get sick of waiting 30 minutes for a dungeon queue just pick up an axe and start tanking, you can't really make mistakes in this game.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

zolthorg posted:

Or Jewelry and insta-queues on a few of the story dungeons you get put in if you want. I have all the tanks and healers maxed out.

If you think you might have used my code this was the only time i've posted it:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3676695&userid=152456#post437786195

e: If you're not a person who thinks they used my code pls dont click the link and read my shameful post history :catstare:

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

homeless snail posted:

If you get sick of waiting 30 minutes for a dungeon queue just pick up an axe and start tanking, you can't really make mistakes in this game.

It's not impossible, but it's really hard to be a terrible tank unless you just can't take advice. Was in a low level roulette the other day where our gladiator had underleveled gear, no helmet, and no shield. They looked pretty and their gear matched so they clearly had that as their #1 priority. They also mostly only auto-attacked so we assumed they were botting.

The arcanist just brought out yellow carbuncle and we used that + my drg as tank, kicked the tank after a few minutes with no response from them as afk, and eventually got a new marauder tank that was having dramatic connection issues. We just stuck with carbuncle and let him dps for the most part and he was cool with it.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Beat dat T12 finally

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011
I hope SE embraces some sort of Story Mode raid eventually - a lot of the scenery and lore in Coil is being missed by a large percentage of the population and that really sucks.

In my ideal world, each raid tier would be released with something like:

Easy mode: Not great loot, some tomes, slightly more difficult than hard-mode primals
Normal mode: What Coil is right now
Savage mode: Very hard, same loot as normal, done for cosmetic titles or mounts (ADS Mount PLEASE???)

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Comic posted:

It's not impossible, but it's really hard to be a terrible tank unless you just can't take advice. Was in a low level roulette the other day where our gladiator had underleveled gear, no helmet, and no shield. They looked pretty and their gear matched so they clearly had that as their #1 priority. They also mostly only auto-attacked so we assumed they were botting.

The arcanist just brought out yellow carbuncle and we used that + my drg as tank, kicked the tank after a few minutes with no response from them as afk, and eventually got a new marauder tank that was having dramatic connection issues. We just stuck with carbuncle and let him dps for the most part and he was cool with it.

I had a pretty great WAR in Sastasha the other day who also had ~lv20 glad and talked the whole dungeon about how hard it was to hold aggro as a Gladiator. While simultaneously attacking only the target he marked as <1> as a Warrior and constantly losing even that target to me when I was multi dotting everything so I was only attacking the main target about 70% of the time. He kept losing the main target to me :(

{Flash} {Do you have it set}

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
I leveled as a tank and now that I hit 50 I'm incredibly anxious about using the dutyfinder. After horrible experiences getting carried by people in a huge rush through the Castrum/Praetorium, and not really understanding anything that was going on, as well as never being above 3rd in threat, I'm kind of terrified of all these Black Mages doing 1k in an aoe.

I didn't run into people like this the whole time I was leveling, but once I did those quests, bumping into all the i110+ people just sprinting through all mob packs into objectives and berating people for watching cutscenes on their first runs, I'm kind of put off and wish I'd rolled a healer instead.

The Praetorium was completely spoiled for me since I had to skip every cutscene or find myself lost alone in the middle of the instance with timers ticking down to being locked out of boss fights I couldn't even find on my map while my team complained. Fights were meaningless without any context, and finishing quests after exiting it made no sense. Then I watched the cutscenes in the inn and it had absolutely no impact since I wasn't even there anymore.

It felt like it was a completely different community and game once I hit 50, and I'm not sure if I like it.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'm hoping I can avoid the toxic parts of the community by sticking with goons on Excalibur. Is this a fair assessment?

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

http://kane.cx/~kane/ioncannon.wav

This is my new Ahk Morn trigger.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Maleh-Vor posted:

I leveled as a tank and now that I hit 50 I'm incredibly anxious about using the dutyfinder. After horrible experiences getting carried by people in a huge rush through the Castrum/Praetorium, and not really understanding anything that was going on, as well as never being above 3rd in threat, I'm kind of terrified of all these Black Mages doing 1k in an aoe.

I didn't run into people like this the whole time I was leveling, but once I did those quests, bumping into all the i110+ people just sprinting through all mob packs into objectives and berating people for watching cutscenes on their first runs, I'm kind of put off and wish I'd rolled a healer instead.

The Praetorium was completely spoiled for me since I had to skip every cutscene or find myself lost alone in the middle of the instance with timers ticking down to being locked out of boss fights I couldn't even find on my map while my team complained. Fights were meaningless without any context, and finishing quests after exiting it made no sense. Then I watched the cutscenes in the inn and it had absolutely no impact since I wasn't even there anymore.

It felt like it was a completely different community and game once I hit 50, and I'm not sure if I like it.

For those you kinda want to use Party finder for people who are willing to join a newbie run so you'll outnumber the people who are joining for something called "Main Scenario roulette" where they basically don't care about you, only how long the dungeon physically takes to complete so they get their currency stones. It's been my personal opinion since they added MSR that they should have disabled custscene skipping in it because its a really bad experience for fresh 50s.

I'm hoping I can avoid the toxic parts of the community by sticking with goons on Excalibur. Is this a fair assessment?

Yes, I've already done a few goon cutscene-watch parties for castrum and praetorium

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
I had one really weird Praetorium run through Duty Roulette where everyone waited. There were two new people. We even waited patiently on the magitek armors for the new players to catch up and blast the trash.

So it can happen, but… you should really ask goons/PF it if cutscenes are important to you.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

I would have to say it depends on your definition of "toxic" here; you're not going to be able to ever completely cloister yourself away from the rest of the server, and the Excalibur goon companies have several hundred people of varying attitudes towards progression and skill, so I'm not going to make any guarantees about how non-toxic your experience will be, because I'm not sure what that exactly means to you

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

zolthorg posted:

I had a pretty great WAR in Sastasha the other day who also had ~lv20 glad and talked the whole dungeon about how hard it was to hold aggro as a Gladiator. While simultaneously attacking only the target he marked as <1> as a Warrior and constantly losing even that target to me when I was multi dotting everything so I was only attacking the main target about 70% of the time. He kept losing the main target to me :(

{Flash} {Do you have it set}

I kinda hate how Flash works in general. Because of how resistance works in this game, I feel like it discourages people (read: those without a robust MMO background) from Flashing more than once on a pull so they can milk Blind for all its worth. Once I stopped caring about the blind, sure, I forget to use it later down the line in a fight to re-apply the blind as a kind of pseudo-cooldown to "boost" my dodge, but then I never saw anyone ripping crap off me unless they hit it first.

Overpower, well. Overpower is love, Overpower is life, yadda yadda yadda.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 22, 2014

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I was absolutely prepared to skip through everything in my first run through the Castrum and Praetorium because a little foreknowledge goes a long way. Having a party willing to watch cutscenes is a pretty good reason to stick with a big FC like the goons on Excal, though.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Thanks guys, I'll stick to DPSing to both get that sweet story exp and maybe learn some dungeons before I embarrass myself.

Are you on Excal? If so, send me a tell (Coco Crisp), and I'll queue up with you to get you some quick queues.

Edit: Oh, you are on Excalibur. Drop me a line, and I'll make you some sick HQ cotton gear :3:

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I was absolutely prepared to skip through everything in my first run through the Castrum and Praetorium because a little foreknowledge goes a long way. Having a party willing to watch cutscenes is a pretty good reason to stick with a big FC like the goons on Excal, though.

We also run Prae in our underwear to properly shame the final bosses.

PhilippAchtel fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Nov 22, 2014

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
Lahabrea is the most powerful boss in FFXIV and is harder than anything coil has to offer

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

The Chairman posted:

I would have to say it depends on your definition of "toxic" here; you're not going to be able to ever completely cloister yourself away from the rest of the server, and the Excalibur goon companies have several hundred people of varying attitudes towards progression and skill, so I'm not going to make any guarantees about how non-toxic your experience will be, because I'm not sure what that exactly means to you

Lookin' for some chill rear end motherfuckers. A good example would be the Marvel Heroes goons.

PhilippAchtel posted:

Are you on Excal? If so, send me a tell (Coco Crisp), and I'll queue up with you to get you some quick queues.

Edit: Oh, you are on Excalibur. Drop me a line, and I'll make you some sick HQ cotton gear :3:

I'm only level 13 right now! Haven't even unlocked my first dungeon. Character's name is Sabre Denton. I'm still on the lookout for a guild member so I can right click him and sign up, I'm not in any huge rush though.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Nov 22, 2014

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

The Chairman posted:

You're so diplomatic, Chairman.

:allears:, and I mean that unironically.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Goons have always been pretty good about doing cutscene runs of CM/Praetorium but now that Soldiery is the main currency for everything and it's a lot harder to get than Myth before it, all you new guys should loudly ask for help because you'll fill up a party almost instantly since everyone wants in on that first time Soldiery bonus.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Since I'm going off to work just thought I'd toss this out there to see if anyone uses it:
Recruitment Code: 6UBFXSX9

fezball
Nov 8, 2009
So me and 2 of my friends are considering the free trial on this one, but there are a couple of questions I have about that:

- With classes starting in different locations, roughly how long will it take to meet up?
- Or, if we go for classes starting in the same area, how long will it take to be able to switch to something else (and how much of a setback will that be)?
- Since we'll be playing together pretty much 100% of the time is there a recommended class combination for that (basically covering all our bases in such a way that we won't have much trouble filling up the party for things requiring more than 3 people)?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

fezball posted:

So me and 2 of my friends are considering the free trial on this one, but there are a couple of questions I have about that:

- With classes starting in different locations, roughly how long will it take to meet up?
- Or, if we go for classes starting in the same area, how long will it take to be able to switch to something else (and how much of a setback will that be)?
- Since we'll be playing together pretty much 100% of the time is there a recommended class combination for that (basically covering all our bases in such a way that we won't have much trouble filling up the party for things requiring more than 3 people)?

-level 15
-level 10
-one of you should be a healer and one of you should be a tank. This makes Limsa the best place to start.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

-one of you should be a healer and one of you should be a tank. This makes Limsa the best place to start.

Sort of. Arcanist is DPS queue until level 30. The only healer from 1-30 is Conjurer and starts in Gridania (which has no Tank in that city).

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

You don't actually run dungeons until you have access to all the cities and all the classes anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

-level 15
-level 10

The problem is that Arcanists cannot queue as healers until rhey get the job stone at 30 and the only class that can, Conjurers, start in Gridania while the two tank classes start in the other cities. Added to that you're going to want to stick around your home city for story quests makes it hard to recommend a specific choice of action here.

• Locked thread