Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Fuego Fish posted:

Speaking of bad renditions of kids in comic books, I'm still weirded the gently caress out by the harsh shifts between the two artists they had on Avengers Undercover.

Same character. But with two artists alternating on the issues, it was like... I don't even know what the gently caress.

That is a very clear case of a lack of editorial oversight in the name of a deadline. Jesus christ. It reminds me when Kaere Andrews started drawing Ultimate X-Men back sometime around 02-04 and the shift was just so radical I could barely tell who was who anymore... in the loving X-Men...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Fuego Fish posted:

Speaking of bad renditions of kids in comic books, I'm still weirded the gently caress out by the harsh shifts between the two artists they had on Avengers Undercover.

Same character. But with two artists alternating on the issues, it was like... I don't even know what the gently caress.
Left panel, a young girl.
Right panel, a Barbie doll.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Duke Igthorn posted:

Superiour Foes of Spider-Man is still going though...

It ends next week with issue 17.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

SilverAge.jpg

I love the expressions on baby Lois

Papa spank!

All from Superman dailies from 1960, sorry the pics aren't great quality.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Freud just threw his arms in the air and said "I quit, that's too much."

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Vincent posted:

Captain America and the Mighty Avengers #1

Ditko digs and Terry and the Pirates jokes. It's a good issue. :allears:

For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is Spider-Man? This is Spider-Man speaking. I am the man who spins a web any size. I am the man who catches thieves just like flies. I am the man who swings from a thread if you take a look overhead, and if you wish to know if I am strong - listen, bud - I am the man who has radioactive blood.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Duke Igthorn posted:

Superiour Foes of Spider-Man is still going though...

Oh, well egg on my face and a delightful surprise. I just thought it had a pretty disappointingly abrupt ending. Alas, it is ending after one last issue, so official correction.

Hobgoblin will soon fill a Superior Foes-sized hole in my heart.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Fuego Fish posted:

Looks like the artist on the right [strike]drew[/strike] traced a Standard Superheroine, then thought "oh wait I need to make part of her face silver so people know its her."

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Fuego Fish posted:

I was really psyched at the first issue or two of Axis. Seriously, it had a psychic Nazi, a big fight, heroes teaming up - it was like someone had said "you know what? We need comic books to return to how they used to be. We need fun. Mindless, two-fisted, four-colour fun."

And then it went off the rails and I'm disappointed, as usual.

Isn't the first image from Avengers Arena, which had the health bars and that art style? I haven't read Avengers Undercover, but Ryker does seem to have grown up quick (and slimmed down her Dethlok arm) for a series that comes straight after Arena if I'm not mistaken.

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Metalshark posted:

Isn't the first image from Avengers Arena, which had the health bars and that art style? I haven't read Avengers Undercover, but Ryker does seem to have grown up quick (and slimmed down her Dethlok arm) for a series that comes straight after Arena if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah, Avengers Undercover was immediately after, but she looked the same as in the left picture whenever the terrible fill-in artist wasn't getting his creep on.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

TwoPair posted:

For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is Spider-Man? This is Spider-Man speaking. I am the man who spins a web any size. I am the man who catches thieves just like flies. I am the man who swings from a thread if you take a look overhead, and if you wish to know if I am strong - listen, bud - I am the man who has radioactive blood.

Peter Bagge did an entire "What-If" issue where Peter reads Ayn Rand and decides that selflessly helping others is a chump game for losers and uses his spider-powers to become immensely rich.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

A Strange Aeon posted:

It looks like they were clipped out of the Lois Lane comic and turned into daily strips.

Edit: I checked and they're identical to panels from Lois Lane #10 other than the newspaper markings.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Nov 21, 2014

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

FMguru posted:

Peter Bagge did an entire "What-If" issue where Peter reads Ayn Rand and decides that selflessly helping others is a chump game for losers and uses his spider-powers to become immensely rich.

"Startling Stories: The Megalomaniacal Spider-Man" -- I liked it a lot, because it's actually got a bit of thought behind it, and it's an interesting idea.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

A Strange Aeon posted:

Papa spank!

Hmmm this seems to be a theme with 1960's D.C.. Same writer, maybe?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That's clearly not 60s Batman.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

That panel is literally from Batman #1.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

FMguru posted:

There's a really old issue of Spider-Man that's just like it. I forget which one, I wanna say it was around Amazing Fantasy #15?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
Am I crazy, or is Lois calling Superman a pedophile here?

"How do I get him to look under my clothes...he'll never do it to me as an adult, but what if I was a baby...?"

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Does Lois have Merlin Syndrome in that comic or did old timey writers have no idea how six years old childs actually behaved? If your kid is six and still sleeping in a crib and drinking from a bottle, your either a terrible parent or should probably consult a medical professional.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Prison Warden posted:

Does Lois have Merlin Syndrome in that comic or did old timey writers have no idea how six years old childs actually behaved? If your kid is six and still sleeping in a crib and drinking from a bottle, your either a terrible parent or should probably consult a medical professional.

I'd guess the latter, to the point where an early issue of Power Pack had a letter printed that said 5-year-old Katie should talk more like "Me shoot stars at bad snakes."

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
There are many things the Fastest Man Alive is good at. Foreplay is not one of them. (Flash v1 #244, 9/76)

There are many things the Fastest Man Alive's editors are good at. Racial sensitivity, obviousry not. (Flash v1 #181, 7/68)

delfin fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 21, 2014

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Prison Warden posted:

To be fair, she was hit by a "Youthening Ray" as an adult, and was getting younger and younger. So, in that panel, she's 6, but she kept getting younger and younger, which is why she was in a crib and drinking from a bottle later on.

Oh, and she doesn't want Superman to use his x-ray vision to look under her clothes, it's because his x-ray vision will reverse the Youthening process. Though, yeah, out of context, that is one weird panel...

Interesting they were taken directly from the Lois Lane comic--I'd heard they did that, but the intro to the Dailies book implies that the newspaper strips are actually more fleshed out, since an arc could run over several weeks. Not being familiar with the source material, I don't know how true that is, but the introduction talks about the Dailies being these interesting, alternative tellings of tales from the comic book, with variations and more details.

Random Stranger--if you have that Lois Lane issue handy, can you post the panel right after Lois getting forcefed with the bottle? It's basically just her as a baby with the bottle in her mouth and a thought balloon saying "I'll kill him for this!" Curious to see it in color.

A Strange Aeon fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Nov 21, 2014

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

A Strange Aeon posted:

Random Stranger--if you have that Lois Lane issue handy, can you post the panel right after Lois getting forcefed with the bottle? It's basically just her as a baby with the bottle in her mouth and a thought balloon saying "I'll kill him for this!" Curious to see it in color.

I've only got the showcase so no color. Also, taking a closer look, it seems like they may have redrawn some of the panels. Definitely an interesting thing.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

delfin posted:

There are many things the Fastest Man Alive's editors are good at. Racial sensitivity, obviousry not. (Flash v1 #181, 7/68)

People are always surprised when they learn the first J in J. Jonah Jameson stands for Japanese but there's the proof.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Lobok posted:

People are always surprised when they learn the first J in J. Jonah Jameson stands for Japanese but there's the proof.

I'm quite miffed that you beat me to this joke.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Servoret posted:

It ends next week with issue 17.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

It got me back into comics after literally 20 years. Now what?

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

A Strange Aeon posted:

You were right about the strips being an adaptation of the original story. They aren't just reproducing the original art in black and white.

This being a silver age Lois Lane story, Superman actually knows what's going on the entire time, but he let it happen because he thought it would be funny to gently caress with her.

Why Lois got herself turned into a baby in the first place:

Lois Lane #10

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It would be pretty agonizing trying to be attractive to Superman. You can never wear your granny panties, he can hear you fart from across the galaxy, and wrinkles wouldn't even be in the top 10 of disgusting things he could see on your face.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Lobok posted:

It would be pretty agonizing trying to be attractive to Superman. You can never wear your granny panties, he can hear you fart from across the galaxy, and wrinkles wouldn't even be in the top 10 of disgusting things he could see on your face.

This is making me imagine the Clark Kent glasses have like, the WORST lenses just to help him get by in his day to day life.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
He probably has super-smelling, too. Glasses don't help much when he can smell your breakfast being digested.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I welcome the day when superhero movies stop being epic adventures and just stuff like Spider-Man becoming an Objectivist jerk and Lana and Lois fighting to the death to marry Superman. That's what I want from that Quicksilver movie Fox might make. It's a day in his life stealing things, pranking people, and eventually escalating to him stopping a villain entirely by accident.

Funny stuff:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The MSJ posted:

Funny stuff:

Dude's writing the new Howard the Duck comic.

I know this because Chip is Canadian and Canadian media gushes about any Canadian involvement in anything, no matter how minor or tangential. We're like the mom who still has all your participation awards on the mantle even though you could swear you threw them out.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

The MSJ posted:

That's what I want from that Quicksilver movie Fox might make. It's a day in his life stealing things, pranking people, and eventually escalating to him stopping a villain entirely by accident.

Quicksilver is no Silver Age Batman or Superman [Mark Miller at his absolutely most pointlessly brutal has never come up with a character a fifth of the douchebag Silver Age Superman is], but he gives it a good run. I will always love him for using the Skrull invasion to go "Oh, yeah, all that insanely horrible poo poo that happened was done by my Skrull duplicate. What a monster he was! Good thing I'm not *that* guy, and am thus totally blameless in that incredibly reprehensible poo poo!".

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Isn't the canon Marvel Explanation for characters acting in a way the reader doesn't like that it was a Skrull or an alternate universe version?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

VanSandman posted:

Isn't the canon Marvel Explanation for characters acting in a way the reader doesn't like that it was a Skrull or an alternate universe version?

Where does this leave alternate universe skrulls acting in a way readers don't like?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

VanSandman posted:

There's also Doombots and LMDs.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Section Z posted:

Where does this leave alternate universe skrulls acting in a way readers don't like?

Skifflefuffles?

(Young Avengers #7)

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Boogaleeboo posted:

Quicksilver is no Silver Age Batman or Superman [Mark Miller at his absolutely most pointlessly brutal has never come up with a character a fifth of the douchebag Silver Age Superman is], but he gives it a good run. I will always love him for using the Skrull invasion to go "Oh, yeah, all that insanely horrible poo poo that happened was done by my Skrull duplicate. What a monster he was! Good thing I'm not *that* guy, and am thus totally blameless in that incredibly reprehensible poo poo!".
My favorite part about that is that I missed the comic where he decided to make that up, so when I picked up another comic later and Quicksilver was going "oh, that was a Skrull impostor!" my reaction was "eh, that's a pretty good, Marvel, let's go with that".

I'm still amused that I got suckered by a fictional lie.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lobok posted:

Also it's gonna get awkward when you're a wrinkled old bag who has trouble getting dressed and he looks like, 3 years older than when you met him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

Boogaleeboo posted:

[Mark Miller at his absolutely most pointlessly brutal has never come up with a character a fifth of the douchebag Silver Age Superman is]

Did Silver Age Superman ever boobytrap a womb with incest babies? I know he was a colossal rear end in a top hat but most of what he did was far from permanent.

• Locked thread