Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
From the actual location of the Terminal Tower you can walk without turning or stopping to the Cleveland Cultural Gardens: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Cle...2d41.498386!5i1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong

Drunk Nerds posted:

I've been looking all morning, and it really pisses me off that I can't find another state outline in any of the unsolved pictures.

The two solved pictures have an outline of the state in which the casque was located.

Maybe the magician's hair looks like a flipped outline of Wisconsin, but that's the only one where I can even stretch my imagination to see a state outline.

There's the Florida theory that I posted above, which you don't subscribe to. I don't weigh in too strongly either way, but put into the context of the other "negative space" state outline that we know for sure with Image 5/Illinois, I don't see it being as wildly out there. Illinois is also mirrored.

In some images, it's obviously not necessary. For example, Image 2 gives us a very distinct Charleston Harbor, so putting in the state of South Carolina is redundant. You could try shoehorning it into her bottom wing, but I don't see anything. I definitely think every image contains a map of some kind, but it's not always going to be an entire state.

The same situation for Image 3/Roanoke. That's the map for the image, and it's pretty obvious once you know what you're looking at and have combined it with the verse to know this part of the solve is very obviously correct. I think the important thing is to note what artistic liberties were or weren't taken in the ones we are 100% Sure of (Cleveland, Chicago, Roanoke, Charleston).

How about provinces? Probably a tough sell if you aren't a fan of the Florida theory.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
Someone posted a detailed map of part of Montreal that included that dudes face but :iiam:

No map in the Boston painting either. Of MA or Boston or anything, really. At least not that I can find.

The closest would be if you're in on the hatch shell and the bird perch, but that's a very different sort of "map."

I don't know if BP was trying to foil collaborators, keep one person from figuring out 'the pattern' or what, but if you're not going to use consistent methods at least make the verses better...

Edit: my email to the DCR bounced so I'm not sure where to keep barking up official channels

xie fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Nov 22, 2014

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

xie posted:

Someone posted a detailed map of part of Montreal that included that dudes face but :iiam:

No map in the Boston painting either. Of MA or Boston or anything, really. At least not that I can find.

The closest would be if you're in on the hatch shell and the bird perch, but that's a very different sort of "map."

I don't know if BP was trying to foil collaborators, keep one person from figuring out 'the pattern' or what, but if you're not going to use consistent methods at least make the verses better...

Edit: my email to the DCR bounced so I'm not sure where to keep barking up official channels

Call up Jim and Margery's show when Marty Walsh is on.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Merlot Brougham posted:

There's the Florida theory that I posted above, which you don't subscribe to. I don't weigh in too strongly either way, but put into the context of the other "negative space" state outline that we know for sure with Image 5/Illinois, I don't see it being as wildly out there. Illinois is also mirrored.

In some images, it's obviously not necessary. For example, Image 2 gives us a very distinct Charleston Harbor, so putting in the state of South Carolina is redundant. You could try shoehorning it into her bottom wing, but I don't see anything. I definitely think every image contains a map of some kind, but it's not always going to be an entire state.

The same situation for Image 3/Roanoke. That's the map for the image, and it's pretty obvious once you know what you're looking at and have combined it with the verse to know this part of the solve is very obviously correct. I think the important thing is to note what artistic liberties were or weren't taken in the ones we are 100% Sure of (Cleveland, Chicago, Roanoke, Charleston).

How about provinces? Probably a tough sell if you aren't a fan of the Florida theory.

I wholeheartedly subscribe to the florida theory.

The reason why not finding states pisses me off is because, as an armchair treasure hunter, I'm never ever going to recogniZe an island, or a fort, or anything but a state, because those are the only geographical shapes with which i am familiar.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

xie posted:

From the actual location of the Terminal Tower you can walk without turning or stopping to the Cleveland Cultural Gardens: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Cle...2d41.498386!5i1

But... That's how cities are planned: walking from attraction to attraction without having to stop or turn. I like most of your theories, but I think this one just doesn't hold weight with me personally is all.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

Drunk Nerds posted:

I wholeheartedly subscribe to the florida theory.

The reason why not finding states pisses me off is because, as an armchair treasure hunter, I'm never ever going to recogniZe an island, or a fort, or anything but a state, because those are the only geographical shapes with which i am familiar.

I didn't mean the overall Florida/Fountain of Youth theory, just whether or not the image contains the state of Florida, but I guess you never specifically offered an opinion on that. My mistake.

Merlot Brougham fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Nov 22, 2014

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Merlot Brougham posted:

I didn't mean the overall Florida/Fountain of Youth theory, just whether or not the image contains the state of Florida, but I guess you never specifically offered an opinion on that. My mistake.

I really like this theory as well. The negative space matches the shoreline pretty closely. The Fountain of Youth solve seems pretty good. Someone should get diggin'.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

xie posted:

The Montreal dude's hat looks like the island where the Montreal World's Fair happened in 1967, which matches to the 67 in the flower. His nose is where the park used to be (it covers the whole island now, but that was also true in 1981). The little blocky structure looks like Habitat 67 visible from the island. I also remember I found references to the street names on the west half of one of the islands.

Edit: Oh, Merlot Brougham made a match to EVERYTHING, especially the two numbers in the poem which are stairs. And the place is still unused.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552196&pagenumber=36&perpage=40#post416281218

Corek fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Nov 22, 2014

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Drunk Nerds posted:

But... That's how cities are planned: walking from attraction to attraction without having to stop or turn. I like most of your theories, but I think this one just doesn't hold weight with me personally is all.

Haha please come to Boston. It wasn't planned at all. It's not like cities are a straight line or that there are dozens of parks in a straight line from the Terminal Tower.

But it's not really a theory, it's just a fact in the ones we know. If that is a lighthouse in the Roanoke pic then it definitely can't be any kind of straight line. If you find an iconic building though I'd definitely start with parks that can be reached in a straight linear way, just as an angle of attack.

There is definitely no 100% applicable method that will solve all 12 puzzles. I want to say the verses that lead you to a state don't have "iconic buildings" but Milwaukee has both. Like the Cleveland verse gives you no hint it's Ohio or Cleveland so it's in the painting. Same with Chicago's verse.

My best guess is that there's a 'pool' of clue types and each puzzle will have a grab bag of them. There may be a building in each one though. And just gently caress Image 12 in general. There are at least 2 types of puzzles: Clevelands, which seem to be more about getting you to a spot and working it out, and I'll call it "Milwaukees" which give you flat out walking directions and specifically say "climb steps, go here, go here, etc."

I'm leaning toward fast and dirty dig btw because trying to go above board is going nowhere fast.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

Corek posted:

The Montreal dude's hat looks like the island where the Montreal World's Fair happened in 1967, which matches to the 67 in the flower. His nose is where the park used to be (it covers the whole island now, but that was also true in 1981). The little blocky structure looks like Habitat 67 visible from the island. I also remember I found references to the street names on the west half of one of the islands.

Edit: Oh, Merlot Brougham made a match to EVERYTHING, especially the two numbers in the poem which are stairs. And the place is still unused.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552196&pagenumber=36&perpage=40#post416281218
Image 9 - Montreal
I've soured on everything I said in that post. I think that if the Montreal cask isn't buried right at the Mount Stephen Club itself, then Dorchester Square is going to be the next likely candidate. At the very least, I would say that the Golden Square Mile is the key and Isle St. Helene is a completely different area.

edit: Verse 2
Also, I now support Verse 2 likely being matched to New Orleans due to the Sarmiento quote:

At the place where jewels abound
Fifteen rows down to the ground
In the middle of twenty-one
From end to end
Only three stand watch
As the sound of friends
Fills the afternoon hours
Here is a sovereign people
Who build palaces to shelter
Their heads for a night!

Gnomes admire
Fays delight
The namesakes meeting
Near this site.

I know I'm going over some old territory, but an interesting coincidence is that the the Mary Queen of the World Cathedral in Montreal is also a scale model of St. Peter's in Rome, and is the main building on Dorchester Square. That conflicts what I just said about linking the verse to New Orleans, but it's something to consider if you're still looking at pairing Verse2/Image9/Montreal. Regardless, it brings you back toward the Golden Square Mile, not out to Isle St. Helene.

The legeater is within a Golden square in the image, representing the physical location of the actual lamp post within the Golden Square Mile. I think this is important.

Here's a very lovely map of the Golden Square Mile to the relationship of some of these places. The golden square mile is outlined with the red dashes. If you look at the legeater in the Image, the hoof breaks through the bottom part of the golden square, just like Dorchester Square and Place du Canada break through the actual bottom border of the Golden square mile. Image 9 is also the Dutch themed image, and I think the Boer War Memorial in Dorchester Square is part of that link. It also happens to be the only equestrian statue in Montreal, which could also be a link to the hoof.

Ultimately, I think the legeater is probably the treasure ground image, just like the Fence and Fixture in Image 5/Chicago, and the wall in Image4/Cleveland. His hat looking like Isle St. Helene, or his mouth looking like greater Montreal are much more general. The Golden Square Mile and the legeater seem to be more specific once you've narrowed it down to Montreal.

Merlot Brougham fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 22, 2014

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Any idea which verse corresponds to Montreal?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The one in French.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

The golden sq mile is pretty established at this point. I know at this point it's a bit funny but if there is an *obvious* "Polaroid" match there is no precedent for them being anywhere other than the direct path to the treasure ground or the treasure ground itself.

The legeater is one of the best matches ever found, the treasure could never have been far. There's a hospital nearby that is shaped like the "staircase" pattern on the figure's collar too, and there are buildings that have the same checkerboard pattern.

I don't know enough about the area but it's not too far from Mount Royale park. My "I can't back this up" theory has always been by the Cartier monument. It's dumb but if the flower is the Cartier monument there are 2 other structures on the property that would be represented by the legeater and the [X], and the building that'd correspond with the [X] has a similar pattern on its roof. But it's just a pet theory I'd love to look at.

I always had the angel on the monument as a wingless bird (ehhhh) and then the next line as "Beneath, the only standing member" as all but Cartier (including the lions) are seated.

There's a forest to the south as well, but it's hard to parse the verse like that.

xie fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 22, 2014

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I'd just like to remind you all that I have seen a legeater statue replica in a store in Chicago. Just because one was stumbled upon in Montreal, doesn't mean that it is definitely the same thing.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

We know there is a casque in Canada and nobody has found the exact same lamp. Considering the other matches to that exact square mile or so I think Montreal/Image 9 is pretty dang firm. The verse is open to much interpretation though.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I still don't know why the Russian Hill one in San Fransisco petered out. It has really solid matches: the backwards G and H, the sweet smell, the three poles, the steam engine, the giant step, first North then across, etc. People just got to the lamp post and...lost interest.

As one of the people who went and looked at that place last year, it wasn't really a match - in order to see the G and h you had to contort yourself away from the lamppost, and the post itelf was nothing like the ones in GGP that match the table leg.

Link: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552196&pagenumber=37&perpage=40#post416288865

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 23, 2014

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Wasn't there someone in this thread who lined the Montreal verse up to a bunch of statues close by the leg eater lamp?

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Id want to see the research on that. Almost everything in that area has been moved including most of the statues. It'd have to match a 1981 map. Montreal (if not in a park) is a really good candidate for being lost. But if anyone can find the post I'm willing to do some historical research.

Q4T actually has a lot on Montreal too and I think everyone feels confident it was in the golden sq mile.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
They were statues on the roof or facade of a building, and in the write up it was perfect. I think it was here.

Definitely pre-1980's.

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
It's been a week and it's the weekend. Anyone dig who said they were going to dig?

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I'm not sure we'll get a shovel in the ground today but I'm meeting with a friend IRL to assess the tools and time we'll need in a few hours. We're meeting up at the compass and going to walk the route and scope out how busy the dig area is. There's also a metal box right in front of the dig spot we want to open, just to make sure it isn't an electrical box (almost positive it isn't, no writing on it). I'm thinking over the holiday may be a good time to sneak in and out. After my email to the DCR bounced I've soured on trying to be above board about it.

In Cleveland when they started turning the soil they quickly turned up pieces of plexiglass (once on the correct side of the planter), but the soil here is hardpacked, so probing is basically digging.

edit: One of the saddest discoveries I've made is that my copy of the book seems to have been lost in my last move :(

xie fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Nov 23, 2014

xie
Jul 29, 2004

So I did stick a shovel in the ground, and all I learned is that the racquetball injury I thought was a sprain is probably a broken hamate bone as electric waves of pain shot through my hand. :(

I can't even grip the trowel... Off to the ER :v:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Womp womp.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
NEVER BEEN BANNED THE WEEKEND IS ALMOST OVER

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

xie posted:

So I did stick a shovel in the ground, and all I learned is that the racquetball injury I thought was a sprain is probably a broken hamate bone as electric waves of pain shot through my hand. :(

Breaks hand, still posts.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I hope you weren't planning on digging a 3' hole with a trowel, xie. You'd break more than your hand.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Nope, this was just to turn over some dirt in one specific spot and test the ground. Really looking around 6-12" for pieces of broken plexiglass. Remember, they were buried in 12" cubes of plexiglass, which has surely cracked and shattered in all northern sites. A trenching tool that fits in a pouch is what I'll use to do most of the digging. Unfortunately whether or not you guys want to hear it, cops posted up just around dusk, so we actually do need to plan this a little carefully.

When I called my insurance's urgent care center they said just come in tomorrow unless you want to wait hours at the ER, so I'm just home with a lot of ice. It's probably just a tiny stress fracture, as long as I mostly leave it alone it's bearable. :)

edit: I'd be shocked if any of them are really 3 feet down. You can do some quick calculations and realize thats a really big hole. But who knows, we know the holes were at least a foot wide due to the boxes.

xie fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 23, 2014

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Well done, xie, you broke ground.
Can you be lookout while your buddy digs? Or do you really want to be the one who unearths it, which I could understand.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
He broke his hand.

Get it straight.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

xie posted:

One day there's going to be a Comedy Movie about these casks. Slapstick, cops asking questions, parodies of spy movies and buried treasure worth nothing whatsoever. The trailer will be funnier than the full movie though.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Drunk Nerds posted:

Well done, xie, you broke ground.
Can you be lookout while your buddy digs? Or do you really want to be the one who unearths it, which I could understand.

At the end of the day no matter how sure I am there's no guarantee anything will be unearthed. I'd love to find it, this is kind of sad but I've dreamed about it. But more than anything I want to see the dig. If I don't see what was dug and where I'm not sure I'll ever be satisfied. We should start turning over pieces of plexiglass before the casque. Honestly, in true BP fashion I'm REALLY confident in this spot, but there's still some real wiggle room as to where exactly it's buried. Either way, we will need 2-3 lookouts to do this, as people can approach from a few different spots.

Here is some of the info on the site I'm digging at. For sake of argument, meet me halfway and assume I'm in the right park, otherwise there's no point :) I have a PDF with around 12-15 definite/possible matches in this park, and am 100% convinced, but I understand not everyone will be.

I am holding back the "ah ha!" key that assures this is the right place - when standing at this spot you are triangulated between two specific things that are referenced in the verse. One is the "18th day, 12th hour" reference which is visible from the dig spot, the other is the solve for "All the letters" which is the smoking gun for this hunt and is ONLY visible from this spot or others near it. If you go about 20 feet in either direction you lose visual on it. I'm willing to share it with certain people over PM, but am not going to post it publicly. If anyone fucks this dig up for me by getting caught I'll be wicked pissed.

At the end of the verse it says "lit by lamplight" - if you look at Image #11, there is light coming out of the box held by the gypsy. Now, bear with me, the light coming out of the box has a fairly distinctive shape (see how it has those bands in sort of a fan pattern?). The light coming out of the box is specifically shining on the woman's collar, which if you examine, one of the "links" on her collar, you'll note that it's different. It's a square within another square. The following image illustrates both of these perfectly:

This has long assumed to be the "ah ha!" image here. This is the painting/verse callback, and it tells you what to dig at, like "fence and fixture" and "seek the columns." I've been harping on those for a reason. This is the dig location. Yes, it is unique, there are none of these elsewhere in the park. And yes, if you look up at the picture of the lamp, that is the same pattern as the light coming from the box.

These are taken from the exact same spot. There is a 2-2.5ft patch of grass between this "hatch" on the ground and the lamp. There are no other "hatches" in the park, and there are no other similar features anywhere near a lamp. You can also see "all the letters" from here and only here.

http://i.imgur.com/MZPN4xQ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/BdSvLg6.jpg

I have a completely linear solve that hits pretty much every point in the verse clearly and concisely, without ever needing to take out your smartphone, go to the library, or be familiar with early 20th century literature. It ends right here.

xie fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 24, 2014

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I don't see the lamp in that image at all. I'm trying really hard and I want to believe, but I'm wondering if you posted the wrong pic?

That said, I strongly believe xie is going to find this. We've known the area for a long time, from the "2C" to the green tower of lights. It was only a matter of time before someone put the final pieces together.

I am excited!

Edit: oh poo poo, I see it. Dayum! Mind blown.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Nov 24, 2014

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Spitballing some ideas for Image 1 being related to Portland instead of San Francisco. I'm not convinced, but there might be something here.

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!

xie posted:

(dig stuff!)

I have a completely linear solve that hits pretty much every point in the verse clearly and concisely, without ever needing to take out your smartphone, go to the library, or be familiar with early 20th century literature. It ends right here.

Pretty impressive match with the patterning on the underside of the lamp. One crucial question, though: was that specific streetlamp in the park back in the 1980s? Or is it a newer installation?

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Xie- I'm in my office, three blocks from where you're digging, three days a week. I don't have PMs but would be down to be a lookout any day but tuesdays. I'm not gonna try to pick apart your theory or put a thumbprint on anything; I just think the fact that you're putting metal to dirt is novel and super fun.

If you need an extra pair of eyeballs, just post the when and where (along with a brief description so I can tell who you are for an on-site intro) and I'd love to try and lend a hand. Good times, man.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Goon love is the best love.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Strongylocentrotus posted:

Pretty impressive match with the patterning on the underside of the lamp. One crucial question, though: was that specific streetlamp in the park back in the 1980s? Or is it a newer installation?

All of the lamps in that park have that design and are original :) Theyve been updated to LEDs but the lamps themselves are old. I can't take credit for the match, and I probably wasn't even 'supposed' to post it, but whatever, I think this thread flies pretty under the radar.

This lamp is not unique to this spot, but it is unique to the park (the benches too). The argument exists on what side of the stupid thing in the ground to dig. I say on the side closer to the lamp, looking out at something I believe to be the match for "In truth, be free." But you could make a not awful argument that you should face "All The Letters" instead, putting you on the other side of the box thing.

I firmly expect to dig up a casque here when we can dig. I don't even know where to go next if it's not here.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

xie posted:

All of the lamps in that park have that design and are original :) Theyve been updated to LEDs but the lamps themselves are old. I can't take credit for the match, and I probably wasn't even 'supposed' to post it, but whatever, I think this thread flies pretty under the radar.

This lamp is not unique to this spot, but it is unique to the park (the benches too). The argument exists on what side of the stupid thing in the ground to dig. I say on the side closer to the lamp, looking out at something I believe to be the match for "In truth, be free." But you could make a not awful argument that you should face "All The Letters" instead, putting you on the other side of the box thing.

I firmly expect to dig up a casque here when we can dig. I don't even know where to go next if it's not here.

Why not dig directly under the lamp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!
Sweet. I was wondering if the city had replaced the lamps in the interim in order to update them, but switching to new LEDs and leaving the lamps themselves answers my question. Given that, your site looks like one of the more promising matches so far. Good luck with digging, hope you don't get busted. Try to look official, maybe? If you act like you're supposed to be there, doing your thing, passersby might assume you're a groundskeeper or something.