Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
head58
Apr 1, 2013

But how could Gaiman resist writing an episode about Timelady Amanda Palmer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

head58 posted:

But how could Gaiman resist writing an episode about Timelady Amanda Palmer?

If Moffat hadn't already been enough to make me give up on this show, this would definitely have done it. :v:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Is Halloween really that big a deal in the UK that they're worried a lot of kids would miss out?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

Is Halloween really that big a deal in the UK that they're worried a lot of kids would miss out?

Even if it's not, the show does air/have decent popularity in other countries as well.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Chairman Capone posted:

What they should do instead is have an Halloween special.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
There is the thing where once per season a halloween monster turns out to be an alien all along (ghosts, werewolves, witches, vampires, recently a mummy), that sort of counts right?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I have a great idea for an episode where everyone dresses up in costumes and then a wizard alien turns them all into whatever costume they're wear... wait.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Then we can have an episode where an Irish kid plays basketball and becomes shorter mysteriously

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

HD DAD posted:

Well it didn't take long for someone claiming to be "in the know" to pop up and share some details about next series.

There's no disputing that the series three finale was a three-parter, especially given the credits for "Utopia" followed the rules for mid-story endings (i.e., the trailer after the credits so that people could avoid it).

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

marktheando posted:

I hope the part about it being Moffat's last series is true.

I don't, because on the whole I still think he's a fan and has great ideas and a passion about the show. I dread who we might get next, unless it's Gatiss.

Hopefully when they hammer out the next Big Finish renewal before Moffat leaves they are able to get the rights to the new show. Not only will that open up awesome Tennant, Smith, and Captain Jack audios, it will make BF more bulletproof when we get a new showrunner who might not be as protective of it as RTD and Moffat have been.

Unless of course the next showrunner is just Nick Briggs. :getin:

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Astroman posted:

I don't, because on the whole I still think he's a fan and has great ideas and a passion about the show. I dread who we might get next, unless it's Gatiss.

Hopefully when they hammer out the next Big Finish renewal before Moffat leaves they are able to get the rights to the new show. Not only will that open up awesome Tennant, Smith, and Captain Jack audios, it will make BF more bulletproof when we get a new showrunner who might not be as protective of it as RTD and Moffat have been.

I can't wait til Big Finish gets the rights for the new show, solely to see what bizarre stories they could come up with for Adam Mitchell after 9 drops him off.

Also getting a Rob Shearman 10th Doctor story would be great.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Astroman posted:

Has Briggs has ever run a TV series before, though? That would likely be a deal-braker for the BBC.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

Astroman posted:

That's the problem. Moffat is an elevated fanboy who clearly puts "making Doctor Who hip and cool" over "telling good stories" or "having relatable characters".

quote:

One of the few points in Moffat's favor IMO is that he has been a huge BF supporter from the beginning, and is always encouraging actors who appear on DW to work with them whenever the opportunity arises. It's not Moffat (or even RTD before him) who's being overprotective of the NuWho license, it's the BBC. They're the ones who decide what DW licenses BF gets to use or not, so blame them for not having any Captain Jack audios or whatnot.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
If BF got the rights to do NuWho and Smith signed up for it, I would seriously buy every single story on day one. I'd go full DoctorWhat.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Moffat's fine when he's writing a few episodes here and there but him as showrunner has really highlighted his weaknesses, especially when it comes to longer story arcs. He also tries to overcomplicate things and make them seem too clever when really the best Who stories don't rely on extremely complicated plots.

RTD produced a similar mixed bag, but I'll give the guy credit for knowing how to build up an ongoing arc.

EDIT: \/ eh, the arc word idea worked fairly well. I give you that some of the arcs had horrible resolutions but the build ups were done well.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 20, 2014

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Mokinokaro posted:

Moffat's fine when he's writing a few episodes here and there but him as showrunner has really highlighted his weaknesses, especially when it comes to longer story arcs. He also tries to overcomplicate things and make them seem too clever when really the best Who stories don't rely on extremely complicated plots.

RTD produced a similar mixed bag, but I'll give the guy credit for knowing how to build up an ongoing arc.

Rtds ongoing plots were really bad

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!
RTD's overarching storylines were usually OK, it was just that they tended to end like a wet fart. Moffat's overarching storylines tend to start out having already disappeared up their own arse. Then they just get worse from there.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

RTD's overarching storylines were usually OK, it was just that they tended to end like a wet fart. Moffat's overarching storylines tend to start out having already disappeared up their own arse. Then they just get worse from there.

After a certain point one has to wonder how long it's been since any of you people watched a Rusty episode.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Oxxidation posted:

After a certain point one has to wonder how long it's been since any of you people watched a Rusty episode.

Last year.

Ran through all of NewWho, skipping a few, to force feed the fandom to a friend of mine in time for the 50th.

We watched like 3 episodes a week from June to August. Some times more when he didn't vanish.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Burkion posted:

Last year.

Ran through all of NewWho, skipping a few, to force feed the fandom to a friend of mine in time for the 50th.

We watched like 3 episodes a week from June to August. Some times more when he didn't vanish.

What kind of self-obsessed, preening rear end in a top hat would march through four entire seasons of stupid sci-fi television just to get a friend addicted to it. gently caress this hypothetical person and his twisted, spurious morality.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Oxxidation posted:

What kind of self-obsessed, preening rear end in a top hat would march through four entire seasons of stupid sci-fi television just to get a friend addicted to it. gently caress this hypothetical person and his twisted, spurious morality.

I dunno, I think it can be cathartic in its spurious morality. :smug:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Oxxidation posted:

Really wish I made him write essays about it too, but that would have been a step too far!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It's a good thing you didn't get your friend hooked and have him find that he loves the really poo poo episodes. That would have been monstrous.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Mokinokaro posted:

when really the best Who stories don't rely on extremely complicated plots.

Ghost Light says otherwise!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Ghost Light says otherwise!

Ghost Light's not complicated, it's just not quite long enough and you can't hear a word anyone's saying.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Sydney Bottocks posted:

That's the problem. Moffat is an elevated fanboy who clearly puts "making Doctor Who hip and cool" over "telling good stories" or "having relatable characters".

Mark my words: the day we get we get some non-fan in charge who knows little to nothing about the show to "freshen it up" will be marked as a black day in Who history. :colbert:

Metal Loaf posted:

Has Briggs has ever run a TV series before, though? That would likely be a deal-braker for the BBC.

Yeah, I was just kidding about that. They'd never put anyone in charge who hadn't. They'd rather pluck some writer/director off some other BBC drama who hates sci-fi then hand the reigns over to a non tv person. Hell, they won't even let a great DW novel writer like say Kate Orman to pen an episode until they've written for some other show first. This is why I'm convinced Moffat is grooming Gatiss with the Sherlock Producer/Co-Showrunner credit.

OTOH Nick Briggs would probably make a fantastic script editor if they went back to the old system. It's too bad they wouldn't give him a shot. It's in his DNA, he has a ton of backstage experience on the show itself, and his juggling schedules and directing so much BF is surely a useful translatable skill.

At least if Capaldi stays he won't put up with too much guff from a non-fan showrunner. He'd push back for it to stick to the spirit of Doctor Who, or he'd walk as soon as he could. But I'm always mindful of when we heard Tennant would stick around for at least one season under Moffat, then he bailed with RTD.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Moffat isn't the devil or anything, and I do think he's a better technical writer than Davies, I just think his writing quirks are very, very obvious even compared to other stylized autor writers and that, like most showrunners, his ego can sometimes make him fall victim to the "becoming one's own fanboy" phenomenon, so it might be time for him to step aside and devote himself fully to some new project.

Unfortunately, I don't know who I'd want to take over, though. I don't think Gattis could carry the apparently expected burden of writing the premiere, finale and one or two other episodes a season (plus, a lot of the problems with women I complain about with Moffat are just as likely with him) and realistically, who else would even be considered?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

Astroman posted:

Mark my words: the day we get we get some non-fan in charge who knows little to nothing about the show to "freshen it up" will be marked as a black day in Who history. :colbert:

Amazingly enough, the show did just fine for twenty-some years before with non-fans running it. :v:

In all seriousness, I don't think a non-fan's perspective would necessarily hurt the show; but I also think that these days, it would be next to impossible to find a showrunner for DW who isn't a fan to begin with, given the changes in how the BBC does things that have occurred since DW's original run. If the Beeb appoints someone who's never done genre television before to run DW, it's only going to be because the guys who are DW fans and have experience running shows decided to decline the position*, and I sincerely don't think Mark Gatiss or Chris Chibnall or whoever is going to pass up the chance to put their own stamp on DW if it's offered.

(*or if DW has sunk into a ratings quagmire and they decide to look outside the DW bubble, which is not the case at the moment and probably won't be for a good long while)

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Speaking as a light Who fan (I'm a filthy American peasant who grew up catching the same smattering of Fourth and Fifth Doctor episodes on my local PBS before the internet was a thing), I would love to see a new showrunner come along and revert the show back to a lovable old goof and his companions hopping around time and space and getting into all sorts of predicaments. There's so many universe or world-ending threats during Moffat's run that I'm sick of him trying to one up himself every season since. Someone needs to rein the show back in, dial back the Doctor worship and revert the show back to dudes visiting Earth-like quarry worlds filled with human-looking aliens instead of London or Cardiff for the umpteenth time.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I think the complaints about Moffat are overblown, and that fans are looking back on the RTD era with either rose tinted glasses, or glasses tinted so far as to let in no light.
The occ/Oxx thread has reminded me of just how awful much of RTD's run was. The season 1, 3, and 4 finales were all TERRIBLE, Rose was terrible, Martha was a character with potential who got constantly poo poo on, and Donna was a great character with about the worst possible ending you could conceive. Also Blowjob Concrete Slab. BLOWJOB CONCRETE SLAB. BLOWJOB! CONCRETE! SLAB!

Season 6, and especially season 7 pt. 1 are Moffat's Darkest Hours, but we all know there was Serious Behind-the-Scenes Issues. But season 5 is incredible, I love most of 7 part 2 (with Hide and Cold War in particular having a special place in my heart), and I'd consider season 8 almost on par with Season 5 (it falls short only due to Death In Heaven not being quite as good as I expected).

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I definitely agree that seasons 5 and 8 were quite good and 6 was a season with some good episodes and a bad overarching plot. I wasn't a big fan of either half of season 7, though. I really don't think people have rose tinteds when it comes to the Davies years, either. Everyone is aware of his big problems, including bombast, Doctor worship from the companions, and schmaltz. I mean, I already admitted Moffat is better at the craft of writing and I definitely believe that. It's just easier to forgive "gay agenda" Rusty his flaws than a guy who can't shut up about what he thinks about women and wants to "erase" people from Doctor Who.

Still, who the hell is going to take over for him right now? I don't know. At the very least, I wish he would focus his efforts on the premieres and finales and try to widen the pool of writers for the other 10 episodes, maybe editing each of them slightly less than he is.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Spatula City posted:

Season 6, and especially season 7 pt. 1 are Moffat's Darkest Hours, but we all know there was Serious Behind-the-Scenes Issues

That he caused

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Also, RTD wrote better companions.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The show doesn't feel as fun anymore. It feels to have undergone a pretty tonal shift. Also it doesn't help that Clara is just dreadful as a companion that they still didn't know what to do with her so they turned her into Amy II but not as interesting.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Harlock posted:

The show doesn't feel as fun anymore. It feels to have undergone a pretty tonal shift.

Yeah. I couldn't put it into words until now.

But the show's so wrapped up in its moral dilemmas and tragic stories that it's become weirdly soulless.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It can't even do that WELL either, because then they jump back to the super childish fantasy bullshit of Kill The Moon and that one episode.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

It IS a lot more dark and serious, and I think a lot of that is Capaldi. He's had 40 years to decide how he wants to play this part, and at this point in his life, for better or worse, this is the direction he really wanted to go in. And Moffat is the man to enable him. Moffat has his darker, more serious arcs, but they were tempered by the bombastic "action movie poster" ideas and the child-like wonder which Smith could bring. Capaldi is totally serious. You'd think for a guy who was just saved from old age death after an 800 year exile/siege and who found out his home planet is still out there, he'd have been less mopey about "being a good man" and whatnot.

Not complaining necessarily, but it is an observation I've made.

And that's a good point mentioning Chibnall. He's got some good chops, especially with Broadchurch.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
So, I see people want to go back to the time when everything was colossally dumb all the time, and Rose was the Center of the World. Jolly good. I respect your bad taste. :colbert:

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Astroman posted:

It IS a lot more dark and serious, and I think a lot of that is Capaldi.

To be fair, the theme of this series/season is DEATH AND WHAT COMES AFTER DEATH. So maybe don't go blaming Capaldi yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Spatula City posted:

So, I see people want to go back to the time when everything was colossally dumb all the time, and Rose was the Center of the World. Jolly good. I respect your bad taste. :colbert:

I'm not sure how you could get that opinion from my post, friend!

• Locked thread