Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
This Paradox Space is still really good and it's way more interesting than what's actually happening in Homestuck (though the art is good.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

That guy sure has written a lot of words. I assume that they are bad but after having read the first paragraph of his dissertation on Tavros I don't think I can read anything of his again.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Maybe the planet exploding didn't kill John entirely and Jade had to shrink down and finish him off herself and that's the thing she's talking about having hurt people.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
People are being way too complicated about this. It's probably the simplest possibility: she went to the session minus John and Dave and just like in the other one got immediately grimbarked. Then big bad wolf rampage happened sooner or later.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

NewMars posted:

People are being way too complicated about this. It's probably the simplest possibility: she went to the session minus John and Dave and just like in the other one got immediately grimbarked. Then big bad wolf rampage happened sooner or later.

Creating a doomed timeline doesn't fork every single session and every single universe in existence, only the one where the forking event occurred. She wasn't in the alpha session when her timeline forked off. Therefore, this Jade's arrival in the alpha session should take place--should have already taken place--in the alpha session, and she can't have had a big bad wolf rampage there because our normal Jade did that.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Freak Futanari posted:

This Paradox Space is still really good and it's way more interesting than what's actually happening in Homestuck (though the art is good.)

Just let it build up for a couple of weeks and read it in one go. It's 2014 and people still champ at the bit about the story pace.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Pretty sure this isn't a doomed timeline, this is the new alpha timeline after John starts changing things. Typheus needs to clean out the existing John, for tidiness' sake.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Tenebrais posted:

Pretty sure this isn't a doomed timeline, this is the new alpha timeline after John starts changing things. Typheus needs to clean out the existing John, for tidiness' sake.

Yeah, that was my reading. The John who stuck his hand in the special magic thing is sticking around to fix everything, so keeping another one around would just be messy.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
I'm the yiffyiff

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

I'm the yiffyiff

Greetings, im thips ahoy

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
im doctor snausages

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Whatever alt-universe Calliope's dooming event was, it must have happened very early: doomed timelines are cut off from extra-universal communication, which would explain why Calliope didn't have any human contact. Maybe Gamzee didn't show up in this one?

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

blastron posted:

Whatever alt-universe Calliope's dooming event was, it must have happened very early: doomed timelines are cut off from extra-universal communication, which would explain why Calliope didn't have any human contact. Maybe Gamzee didn't show up in this one?

That might be it. The Bard of Rage "invites destruction through rage," and if there's no Gamzee around, the petulant, hate-filled little poo poo might not have what he needs to properly stunt his growth and make him into a lovely manchild/omniversal terror.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Freak Futanari posted:

im doctor snausages

I'm the awkward pause while you decide whether to make a whole new shipping wall for this latest unwelcome addition to our bloated cast roster or just throw propriety out the window and jam them into your existing one. :colbert:

Dare you ship Dead!Dave37:s:nak-be-nimble? DARE YOU???

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
im a table that has committed murder

TriffTshngo posted:

That might be it. The Bard of Rage "invites destruction through rage," and if there's no Gamzee around, the petulant, hate-filled little poo poo might not have what he needs to properly stunt his growth and make him into a lovely manchild/omniversal terror.

Yeah, while I will go to bat for Good Dad, Best Clown at any time, he is really the reason Calliope and Caliborn are awful in their own respective ways. They are both spoiled, petulant children. One is just an over-triggered tumblr, and the other is a sociopathic psychopath.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

life_source posted:

Yeah, while I will go to bat for Good Dad, Best Clown at any time, he is really the reason Calliope and Caliborn are awful in their own respective ways. They are both spoiled, petulant children. One is just an over-triggered tumblr, and the other is a sociopathic psychopath.

At least Caliborn is interesting in his awfulness. Calliope is just kinda boring for me.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Slime posted:

At least Caliborn is interesting in his awfulness. Calliope is just kinda boring for me.

You might even say...

Calliope is a bad character...

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

life_source posted:

You might even say...

Calliope is a bad character...

She's an interesting character idea with mediocre execution. She looks a lot worse than she is because Caliborn is a much better character than her, in execution as well as idea. She's just very bland in comparison to the hilarious manchild that is her brother.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Renaissance Robot posted:

I'm the awkward pause while you decide whether to make a whole new shipping wall for this latest unwelcome addition to our bloated cast roster or just throw propriety out the window and jam them into your existing one. :colbert:

Dare you ship Dead!Dave37:s:nak-be-nimble? DARE YOU???

They're meant to be moirails you brain-dead, romantically retarded idiot fuckhead.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It's also a little tough to understand Calliope's narrative purpose at the moment. Her being a muse and quite passive in contrast to Caliborn's grasping actions does help set up a contrast, but what is she trying to contribute? Insight about how to beat Caliborn? Guidance about the game, or the future? Is it actually her doomed timeline counterpart that'll matter and this Calliope isn't really going to do anything?

She's presented as very important but it's taking a while to figure out why or when she'll actually start to matter.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

life_source posted:

she hasn't really done anything to deserve the epithet of "over-triggered tumblr", unless I missed some kind of Kankrian tantrum from her at some point.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

GeneX posted:

She's an interesting character idea with mediocre execution. She looks a lot worse than she is because Caliborn is a much better character than her, in execution as well as idea. She's just very bland in comparison to the hilarious manchild that is her brother.
It works because Calliope represents the portion of MSPA readerbase who aren't *completely* awful and obsessed with characters hooking up and characters dying and WHEN CAN WE GET TO THE GOOD STUFF AGAIN ALREADY, WHAT THE HELL ARE THESE CHAT LOGS, I'M NOT READING THOSE, gently caress THIS DUMB poo poo. Meanwhile Calliope represents the quieter creative types. The ones who probably go to cons in cosplay and greyface so they're awful in their own way, but a more benign sort of awful.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Dolash posted:

It's also a little tough to understand Calliope's narrative purpose at the moment. Her being a muse and quite passive in contrast to Caliborn's grasping actions does help set up a contrast, but what is she trying to contribute? Insight about how to beat Caliborn? Guidance about the game, or the future? Is it actually her doomed timeline counterpart that'll matter and this Calliope isn't really going to do anything?

She's presented as very important but it's taking a while to figure out why or when she'll actually start to matter.

I am getting more and more certain that Calliope might be a type of false prophet of sorts. I don't think she is the villain---the story doesn't just throw characterization away, and we've had three years establishing Calliope as being kind and artistic. But I do get the feeling that much like Aranea, she might not be pure sweetness and light.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I never trusted calliope. :colbert:

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Maybe Caliborn was right and she really is a red herring.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
calliope lied about benghazi

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

life_source posted:

Yeah, but without him one of them dies and probably becomes an evil ghost scheming in the after life (do you think being DEAD will stop Caliborn from doing whatever he wants? ALL YOUVE DONE IS GIVEN HIM THE POWER TO FLY! AIN'T NOTHING GONNA HOLD HIM DOWN!) and the other shuts themselves off from the world and the only form of social interaction they have comes from telling long rambling stories to dog girls they meet in dreams. That's not much of an improvement.

About Caliborn and Calliope as characters: Caliborn is interesting because he's flawed and we're allowed to explore how those flaws effect him and see all the hard works he does to overcome those flaws. Calliope is also flawed, but she doesn't work to overcome those flaws (at least not yet) and the story doesn't really focus on those flaws (again, at least not yet). So far the only things she's been allowed to do are 'be cute', 'provide exposition', and 'have other characters like and miss her'. I like Calliope, but the only way she's going to be an interesting character is if the story let's her be something other than 'the good thing that will stop her brothers bad thing, not because she works hard to change and improve but because destiny says so and good always beats evil' which hopefully it will.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

About Caliborn and Calliope as characters: Caliborn is interesting because he's flawed and we're allowed to explore how those flaws effect him and see all the hard works he does to overcome those flaws.

Caliborn does literally nothing to overcome his flaws. He works so hard to work around his flaws, stubbornly refusing to change even if it would make his life so much easier. The only aspect of hisself he's made any attempt to improve is his artwork.

life_source
May 11, 2008

Calliope is a liar (look at every conversation she had with anyone in early Act 6), a coward (won't show her true form to the best character ever even though that best character ever would not give two drunken shist about whatevfer her treu form is) shits*, freaks the gently caress out when something happens that she doesn't want to happen, sits around being fat, useless, and melancholy rather then getting out and doing somethinganything, fervently believes everything around her should conform to what she wants, and makes stuff up and passes it off as fact.

This stuff isn't even in comparison to Caliborn, this is hardcoded into her character.

We see what Calliope is like when she just... grew up like a normal cherub. Still nice, still a talker and a story teller, but has an actual brain, isn't a horrible, self centred person, and has the ability to overcome her problems (death, doomed timeline) and make something better of it (pass knowledge onto someone who can take it into the alpha timeline)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

life_source posted:

Calliope is a liar (look at every conversation she had with anyone in early Act 6), a coward (won't show her true form to the best character ever even though that best character ever would not give two drunken shist about whatevfer her treu form is) shits*, freaks the gently caress out when something happens that she doesn't want to happen, sits around being fat, useless, and melancholy rather then getting out and doing somethinganything, fervently believes everything around her should conform to what she wants, and makes stuff up and passes it off as fact.

This stuff isn't even in comparison to Caliborn, this is hardcoded into her character.

We see what Calliope is like when she just... grew up like a normal cherub. Still nice, still a talker and a story teller, but has an actual brain, isn't a horrible, self centred person, and has the ability to overcome her problems (death, doomed timeline) and make something better of it (pass knowledge onto someone who can take it into the alpha timeline)

To be fair, that freakout was because a Light player would illuminate her position in the void allowing LE to find her and murder her so it seems like an appropriate response. And I don't really remember her lies in early A6 other than about her species, she was apparently accurate enough with her prophecies to convince Jane of her trustworthiness.

I like Calliope and Caliborn because they're both a meta-commentary on the nature of the Homestuck fandom and its anti-fandom and i like meta stuff so I think it's interesting. Also Calliope's cowardice and inaction is definitely being treated as a flaw and is acknowledged by herself as the reason she could never pre-dominate over her brother, and that attitude only further emphasises those same flaws. Caliborn just has had far more focus than her and his flaws are generally more unique and interesting.

Also, I don't quite get why you think she is especially self-centered. Yeah, i'd call her fairly selfish but not enough to make it a really notable part of her character.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Tenebrais posted:

Caliborn does literally nothing to overcome his flaws. He works so hard to work around his flaws, stubbornly refusing to change even if it would make his life so much easier. The only aspect of hisself he's made any attempt to improve is his artwork.

I disagree, Caliborn is clearly trying to improve himself in lots of ways. It's just that A) he's not very good at it and B) the way he 'improves' himself doesn't always make him better person (or cherub, whatever), sometimes it just causes him to behave awful/strange in a different way. Like, he gets advice on how to change and then he does change but in a way that's kind of weird and off the mark.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Tenebrais posted:

Even if Caliborn was inclined to try and overcome his flaws, he has brain problems. He's effectively been lobotomized, except instead of a portion of a lobe he permanently lost access to an entire hemisphere. Upon predominating, an adult cherub is supposed to gain the traits they lacked in childhood. But Calliope was the creative, resourceful one. And Caliborn killed Calliope. So he is doomed to never be creative or resourceful in a traditional manner.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
Completely off topic; I was hoping that somehow, in some way Dad would be the one to finish gamzee off by pranking the poo poo out of him. Just ruthlessly out-jester him to the point where gamzee dies from a sheer rage overdose. The only thing that can kill a clown is something funnier.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Filthy Haiku posted:

Completely off topic; I was hoping that somehow, in some way Dad would be the one to finish gamzee off by pranking the poo poo out of him. Just ruthlessly out-jester him to the point where gamzee dies from a sheer rage overdose. The only thing that can kill a clown is something funnier.

I would be okay with this.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I miss Dad, Dad was my second favorite character. He ended up being so under-utilized. :smith:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

JT Jag posted:

Even if Caliborn was inclined to try and overcome his flaws, he has brain problems. He's effectively been lobotomized, except instead of a portion of a lobe he permanently lost access to an entire hemisphere. Upon predominating, an adult cherub is supposed to gain the traits they lacked in childhood. But Calliope was the creative, resourceful one. And Caliborn killed Calliope. So he is doomed to never be creative or resourceful in a traditional manner.

No, Calliope was the creative one and Caliborn was the resourceful one. That's how their brains were divide up after the split: Calliope got the talent and Caliborn got the drive.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

CJacobs posted:

I miss Dad, Dad was my second favorite character. He ended up being so under-utilized. :smith:

Dad Crocker is still alive on Derse.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

CJacobs posted:

I assume your favorite, then, was fedorafreak?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

CJacobs posted:

dad is the best character in homestuck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Filthy Haiku posted:

I've given up hope that Gamzee will ever be truly killed.