Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

builds character posted:

They probably wouldn't have been afraid of a girl who could control mosquitos either. :(

yeah but that changed pretty fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I think Ur probably has something to do with the region not collectively trying to poo poo on Blake.

Well. Any more than they were already doing.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Tollymain posted:

yeah but that changed pretty fast.

See, e.g., Alexandra. :black101:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
man that was such a loving stupid set of decisions by the prt folks. a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, especially when the goddamn bird in the hand has the ability to inject you with deadly venom using little more than its mind :haw:

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Blake has some big time karma on his side I think, and no one seems to really realize it.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I wonder if it's possible to split good and bad karma. Instead of going into one big pool that cancels out good and bad, store good karma separately so that it can be passed on to a different person from the bad karma. Certainly could explain why the Thorburn heirs have had such monumentally lovely luck while Blake lately seems to be catching a lot of breaks for a Wildbow protagonist.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Grundulum posted:

I wonder if it's possible to split good and bad karma. Instead of going into one big pool that cancels out good and bad, store good karma separately so that it can be passed on to a different person from the bad karma. Certainly could explain why the Thorburn heirs have had such monumentally lovely luck while Blake lately seems to be catching a lot of breaks for a Wildbow protagonist.

Karma manipulation is definitely possible; see The Benevolent, but I think it was stated that Blake's karma got reset after falling into the Abyss.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Tollymain posted:

man that was such a loving stupid set of decisions by the prt folks. a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, especially when the goddamn bird in the hand has the ability to inject you with deadly venom using little more than its mind :haw:

In fairness, Alexandria was completely immune to poison. Just... not to having her lungs literally filled with insects. :stonk:

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013

Namarrgon posted:

Karma manipulation is definitely possible; see The Benevolent, but I think it was stated that Blake's karma got reset after falling into the Abyss.

Was it explicitly stated? I dont remember it. But, it is definitely a theory I ascribe to. It only makes sense since his Other side has almost completely taken over. His negative thorburn (human) karma doesn't apply to him anymore. Actually it is probably still on Rose. So, good luck to her if she tries to directly act against Blake.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
speaking of karma i'm confused; jeremy is saying that the karma hit for attacking blake now would be less than turning on the duchamps. now he's turning on the duchamps?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Tollymain posted:

speaking of karma i'm confused; jeremy is saying that the karma hit for attacking blake now would be less than turning on the duchamps. now he's turning on the duchamps?

He's telling Blake that he's betraying Sandra

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ah, i read it as "if i let you go i'm betraying my wife in doing so"

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
He's saying that he doesn't give a drat about Karma at the moment, since what he's about to do is even more costly in that regard than attacking Blake would be.

Speaking of Karma, I'd say that 'People actually listen sometimes when you try to convince them of something' certainly seems like the biggest advantage of not having a giant Karmic debt so far.

Happy Yeti
Jun 1, 2011
And since magic basically relies on convincing the spirits ...

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Any idea why he's turning on Sandra? I'm not entirely clear on that, is it so Blake can finish breaking the family like he proposed? Does he want to be Lord? Does he want Sandra to be free of the family?

Ahaha holy poo poo I just realised Evan killed the pyromancer with the bucket trick. Could this be the beginnings of FLAME SPARROW.

Saros fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 20, 2014

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Saros posted:

Any idea why he's turning on Sandra? I'm not entirely clear on that, is it so Blake can finish breaking the family like he proposed? Does he want to be Lord? Does he want Sandra to be free of the family?

Someone in the comments suggested it's because Jeremy thinks breaking the Duchamps, and thereby freeing Sandra, is worth the greater karmic hit of turning on his wife.

Seems legit to me. The Duchamp family rules broke up their marriage, and he says he truly loves her. If those things are both true, he's trying to break the Duchamps to save her. Pretty epic.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
and i imagine dionysus is glued to the loving screen of this soap opera now

when is hero historia making its triumphant return?

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Soon!

I'm hustling to get my current novel ready for a holiday release. The next HH chapter will start as soon as the revisions are done, mid-late December.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Well that seemed a bit too easy.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Fellwenner posted:

Well that seemed a bit too easy.

I agree. Something seems fishy.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Nah. That guy is really loving dead. The guy who practices Karma just got stabbed in the chest by a dude who basically is walking talking Karma.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah, i'm pretty sure this is just an incredibly on-point example of Wizard Hubris

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

It would be pretty awesome if The Benevolent just assumed a Bogeyman can not possibly have enough positive karma to harm him.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
with as many lucky items as he was carrying he was probably expecting an anvil to fall out of the sky on blake

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Anyway, so I think I might know what Grandma Rose's objective is.

She wants to change at least one of the rules that govern this hosed up universe. My guess is specifically the rule about anything damaged, changed, or destroyed by a demon being unfix-able.

I think this world is governed not so much by it's rules, but by the belief of mortals (and others) in those rules. The problem being that belief in those rules reinforces belief in those rules.

So if you wanted to change on of these rules we'll it'd be drat hard, you'd have the weight of hundreds or thousands of years of tradition reinforcing it. You'd have to do something really flagrant and public and it'd take a poo poo load of power, likely more than any single individual could bring to bear.

But what, on the other hand, if you just tricked a whole lot of people into thinking that you broke one of these rules without actually breaking it. Like by convincing people you used a demon to split a single individual into pieces and then you put that individual back together again, but you never used a demon in the first place, everyone just thought it was a demon because, c'mon your a diabolist of course the scary bound horror you made use of is a demon right?

And while I'm sure the demons would like to stop your plan from working, because lets face it they probably know about it somehow, they can't exactly come out and tell people that their "prized" diabolist who increased their cache in the world wasn't actually making any use of demons in the first place can they? Wouldn't want to diminish themselves by association. Well then, they'll still try to gently caress this up, but at least they have to do it on the down low, meaning we can at least try and deal with it.

My biggest question at this what effect on this plan did the Lawyers (and thus the demons) conspiring to get Blake killed have? Did Granny actually want the Lawyers to lead Blake to Urasur? Did the individuals the Firm employs conspire to lead Blake to Urasur instead of simply getting him killed as a gently caress you to the demons? Can Humpty Dumpty still be put back together again when some of the pieces are no longer, strictly speaking, pieces of the original?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

What about the seal of Solomon? If I had to guess I would say that she wanted to break or modify it in some fashion. How exactly is still kind of unclear.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Grandma Rose has/had never expressed concern about the Seal of Solomon, at least as far as we know.

She does however express concerns about both Tradition and humanity, or maybe the whole of realities, chances against the Demons.

And, being as the damage done by demons can never be healed or truly reversed, her concerns bear some weight I think.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
gently caress SAINT

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Milky Moor posted:

gently caress SAINT

please elaborate

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

He's reading Worm, I think.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.
That's very likely. Knowledge of that fact, however, does not further our understanding of his or her boner (or anti-boner, depending on the usage of "gently caress") for Saint.

Blasphemeral fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 24, 2014

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Blasphemeral posted:

That's very likely. Knowledge of that fact, however, does not further our understanding of his or her boner (or anti-boner, depending on the usage of "gently caress") for Saint.

It kinda does. Saint does that thing shutting down Dragon when mankind is literally fighting for survival.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Namarrgon posted:

It kinda does. Saint does that thing shutting down Dragon when mankind is literally fighting for survival.

Ok, if that's actually where he is. If not, talking about that spoils the end. Hence people asking him to clarify what he's talking about. I mean, thinking "gently caress this Saint guy" before then is totally a thing you could do.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Really? He doesn't really do anything before then I believe.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
Yeah, it looks like Wildbow just wants to wrap Pact up as quickly as possible.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

So what's left? Wrapping up the lordship, the resolution with Rose and then a boss fight with Urasur is pretty much it.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Conquest and the lawyers also.

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013
I felt like the lawyers were this huge thing in the beginning of the series and they've kind of just faded into the background. I wonder if wildbow regrets initiating that plot thread.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Maybe he still has plans to use them. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

hollylolly posted:

Maybe he still has plans to use them. :shrug:

I'm sure he does, he never let any plot thread dangle in Worm.

• Locked thread