Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Yeah, like I said. I liked the whole episode, complete package. Rather satisfied with that clip episode, the characters reflecting on their past actions was nice. I've seen worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

Toshimo posted:

I'm going to take the controversial stand that the Mako portion of the clip show was hilarious and loving on-point.

They roasted him for all the dumb stupid relationship stuff you guys have been bitching about since day 1 and basically admitted how loving terrible it was.

There's just no pleasing you fuckers.

Also, grandma is awesome.

He got bitched out for the relationship stuff which was fun but that doesn't change the fact we had to sit through the relationship stuff all over again while he was being bitched out.

And Grandma is grating and annoying except for the grandfather lines this episode. :colbert:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Kibayasu posted:

Sooner or later there's going to be a western animated TV show/movie that doesn't need to sell toys in Walmart to be considered a success, right?

...right?

:smith:

Over the Garden Wall was pretty loving good and I imagine it did exactly what CN wanted.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I get the feeling that people's standards are set too loving high.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Mraagvpeine posted:

I get the feeling that people's standards are set too loving high.

This is a big thing with long-awaited sequels. The comment earlier about it being a fanfiction problem is half right: it's just not so much about the creator, as it is about how the show itself is constantly dueling with the half-imagined yet totally perfect followup story that exists in each fan's head, and being compared to it. Even if it's good, it's not the same and so falls short by definition.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Some of you may like the clip show (I sure didn't) but that doesn't change the fact that I'm sure all of you would have preferred actual new stuff and a real episode.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Hauldren Collider posted:

Some of you may like the clip show (I sure didn't) but that doesn't change the fact that I'm sure all of you would have preferred actual new stuff and a real episode.

Well yeah, but I'd also prefer a world without racism and a billion dollars to boot. If you keep wanting something you're not going to get then you're probably just not going to enjoy what you have. :shrug:

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Kibayasu posted:

Sooner or later there's going to be a western animated TV show/movie that doesn't need to sell toys in Walmart to be considered a success, right?

...right?

:smith:

There's been plenty of movies like that, but an animated TV show IN A loving CHILDREN'S NETWORK (WHICH IS WHAT NICK AND CARTOON NETWORK ARE) that doesn't sell toys or any type of merchandise is ridiculous. poo poo costs money to make.

Over the garden wall was about 100 minutes of animation with a clear beginning middle and end, and it took the creator about 8 years to convince CN to make it, and they agreed only after he was a writer and a creative director from one of their biggest hits.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Vincent posted:

There's been plenty of movies like that, but an animated TV show IN A loving CHILDREN'S NETWORK (WHICH IS WHAT NICK AND CARTOON NETWORK ARE) that doesn't sell toys or any type of merchandise is ridiculous. poo poo costs money to make.

Over the garden wall was about 100 minutes of animation with a clear beginning middle and end, and it took the creator about 8 years to convince CN to make it, and they agreed only after he was a writer and a creative director from one of their biggest hits.
If I ever become a crazy eccentric billionaire I'll just waste my fortune away funding kids cartoons without a care about things like demographics and advertisers

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

If I ever become a crazy eccentric billionaire I'll just waste my fortune away funding kids cartoons without a care about things like demographics and advertisers

Man, recklessly providing patronage for arts of all kinds will be my first "I'm superduper rich" move.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Will they have dongs in them?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

nutranurse posted:

The show would probably do better housed on cartoon network or something.

Cartoon Network has literally shut down Youg Justice for having too much of a female fanbase.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Pomp posted:

Cartoon Network has literally shut down Youg Justice for having too much of a female fanbase.

I thought they shut it down for being a garbage show. Like, Duh, Megan!

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

They also put the show on like a months-long hiatus along with Green Lantern with basically no prior warning shortly after starting up with new episodes.

CN does some hosed up poo poo.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

achillesforever6 posted:

Heh, George Lucas did exactly that when he funded Clone Wars. It's nice to be a billionaire. It also seems that Dave Filoni made the right choice.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
lmao at wuu saying the mako was raised by a pack of cops in the woods,

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Pomp posted:

Hahaha, I forgot about that. You know what, why didn't they cancel MLP because of the male fanbase it attracted?

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
this episode is pretty retarded,

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
wow this animation is terrible.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
drat season 1 and 2 were bad.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
where is asami from originally? she sorta seems like shes probably the jew if it esisted in the avatar univerese.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
lol. looking back, including back to the last second where i just paused the episode playing in another tab, i think that actually all the seasons have been bad.

edit: except maybe 3

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

nutranurse posted:

Hahaha, I forgot about that. You know what, why didn't they cancel MLP because of the male fanbase it attracted?

I don't think My Little Pony is on Cartoon Network, but the reason would be that boys generate more toy revenue.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I don't think My Little Pony is on Cartoon Network, but the reason would be that boys generate more toy revenue.

Yeah, but, like, it's not as if the only thing you can sell to girls are toys (execs making that young justice call have a bad business strategy, man). Or as if girls don't buy toys at all!

Man, how can people be that loving dumb and unintentionally hateful?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Oh Snapple! posted:

They also put the show on like a months-long hiatus along with Green Lantern with basically no prior warning shortly after starting up with new episodes.

CN does some hosed up poo poo.
And this isn't new, back then they would screw with the schedules of shows like Samurai Jack or loving Justice League Unlimited.

Also RIP Symbiotic Titan, you were too good for this world :smith:

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
dude vaatu has a black person voice.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
i hope nick ruins this show as much as possible.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Preview for Episode 9 is up.

That line reading on "I'm gonna poke it with a stick!" is the best for a one-off character since "Hey Makooohhhhh...oh."

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

That line reading on "I'm gonna poke it with a stick!" is the best for a one-off character since "Hey Makooohhhhh...oh."

The delivery for "Why would anyone do that?" was just as great. :allears:

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
a korra version of eva episodes 25 and 26 would be chill.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The next five episodes are going to be high-octane as gently caress and blow our minds. This will be a good season, y'all.

quoting this for when it turns out wrong.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Is this the thread where I express my strong feelings about this kids cartoon or is that literally every thread in tviv?

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

"THAT PLATYPUS-BEAR IS POOPING MONEY!"

This show has some amazing one-liners I swear.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I actually liked the second sequence because it rebutted a major criticism that's been thrown around in this thread: "Korra's a fuckup! Nothing she's done has made a difference!"

Well, yeah, except catalyzing the democratization of the United Republic, the restoration of the connection between humanity and spirits, the return of the Air Nation...

E: "But the change introduced all these problems!" Well of course it did, just like every other positive change in the history of mankind.

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Nov 22, 2014

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Just the Varrick/Bolin segment made the episode worth it, especially since it also made fun of how terrible the s2 finale was.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Pththya-lyi posted:

I actually liked the second sequence because it rebutted a major criticism that's been thrown around in this thread: "Korra's a fuckup! Nothing she's done has made a difference!"
I think Korra at this point is now more accomplished than Aang was at the end of TLA.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pththya-lyi posted:

Well, yeah, except catalyzing the democratization of the United Republic, the restoration of the connection between humanity and spirits, the return of the Air Nation...

E: "But the change introduced all these problems!" Well of course it did, just like every other positive change in the history of mankind.

The catch is that those seemed to be more accidental side-effects of her actions, rather than stuff she angled and campaigned for. That's why it's tougher to sell them as her triumphs.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Darth Walrus posted:

The catch is that those seemed to be more accidental side-effects of her actions, rather than stuff she angled and campaigned for. That's why it's tougher to sell them as her triumphs.

Just because she didn't mean for all that stuff to happen doesn't mean she didn't cause it all to happen. Kinda like how the Argentinians who filled the Falklands with land mines didn't mean to create a penguin habitat, but guess what, they did!

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Korra is more accomplished than Aang because of the problem of escalating stakes, a problem that's typically everywhere in anime. Goku defeats a bully. Goku defeats a warlord. Goku defeats someone who wants to rule the world. Someone who wants to destroy the world. Someone who is destroying many worlds. Someone who wants to end existence.

Airbender had a single problem to solve: Stop the Fire Nation from expanding their empire to cover the world, a problem serious and vast enough to dedicate three seasons to it. Korra explodes well beyond that in the span of one season, half an Airbender season. The plots deal with someone who wants to destroy bending completely, then on to the physical incarnation of evil that wants to usher in ten-thousand years of death and darkness that has to be defeated in the form of a gigantic spirit-mech. :stare: That's when you jump the Goku as a show.

Vaatu honestly still seems like he should have been the climax of the series in terms of scale if he had to exist at all, not sandwiched between Amon and Zaheer.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Nov 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

achillesforever6 posted:

This is literally what Laika (the studio behind Coraline and Paranorman) is, except it's a billionaire's son's eccentric habits.

Jesto posted:

Korra is more accomplished than Aang because of the problem of escalating stakes, a problem that's typically everywhere in anime. Goku defeats a bully. Goku defeats a warlord. Goku defeats someone who wants to rule the world. Someone who wants to destroy the world. Someone who is destroying many worlds. Someone who wants to end existence.

Airbender had a single problem to solve: Stop the Fire Nation from expanding their empire to cover the world, a problem serious and vast enough to dedicate three seasons to it. Korra explodes well beyond that in the span of one season, half an Airbender season. The plots deal with someone who wants to destroy bending completely, then on to the physical incarnation of evil that wants to usher in ten-thousand years of death and darkness. :stare: That's when you jump the Goku as a show.

Vaatu honestly still seems like he should have been the climax of the series in terms of scale if he had to exist at all, not sandwiched between Amon and Zaheer.

That works in the show's favor though, because at the end of Season 2 they end up changing existence itself, and then they run with it. Quite often you have a big bad guy at the end and then you never get to see the end result of defeating him beyond the medal scene from Star Wars Episode IV.

• Locked thread