Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

fezball posted:

So me and 2 of my friends are considering the free trial on this one, but there are a couple of questions I have about that:

- With classes starting in different locations, roughly how long will it take to meet up?
- Or, if we go for classes starting in the same area, how long will it take to be able to switch to something else (and how much of a setback will that be)?
- Since we'll be playing together pretty much 100% of the time is there a recommended class combination for that (basically covering all our bases in such a way that we won't have much trouble filling up the party for things requiring more than 3 people)?
There's a lot of forced solo stuff in the story and class quests so you can't stay together 100% of the time. If you have a tank and/or healer your dungeon queues will be instant though.

Getting to level 15 will be super quick, just do the story quests and ignore all side quests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Specifically trying to play with other people at low levels is a bad idea. The people who try it always end up posting things like "oh my wife has been busy for 2 weeks and I can't do the story without her so now I'm a level 15 gladiator and level 50 fisher."

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
Speaking of first time soldiery, here's the quick 2.4 guide to "Babby's First Level 50" from someone who just went through that fresh hell (a second time):

1) Hit level 50.

2) Get your relic percursor weapon (melded with the appropriate materia) and use it for now. Also get cheap Item Level i55 accessories and a belt to get rid of all that filthy leveling gear. Wolf gear works perfectly for this and is pretty cheap these days. Higher ilvl crafted stuff might be too expensive for a fresh character. Convert what you replaced to materia, which may help fund both of these actions (if you're lucky). Everything will be replaced, so don't get too fancy here.

3) Finish your class quests.

4) Finish your main storyline quests through the credit sequence. Get your friends to help with Westwind/CM/Prae, they'll thank you for the bonus soldiery.

5) Unlock and run Wanderer's Palace for the Rank 3 GC hunting log (you're ranked 2LT and kept up with kills, right?), soldiery bonus and a shot at a weap.
5a) Get a second weapon, preferably from your GC. You're going to need it once you turn in your precursor weapon. If not able to buy GC weapons, a second relic precursor works fine until you get your relic (don't meld it).

6) Complete your relic weapon. Get your friends to help, they'll thank you for the bonus soldiery. DO NOT UPGRADE TO ZENITH. In 2.4, you don't have that much soldiery to waste until you can get everything unlocked.
6b) Once you have 375 Soldiery, buy an i100 ring for your class in Mor Dhona to help get your ilvl up to finish the above.

7) Gather up and unlock all of the level 50 dungeons (except Snowcloak, which requires a lot of main storyline progression). Run these dungeons with friends, in order. They'll once again enjoy the free soldiery.
7a) As you get soldiery, keep buying accessories that cost 375 soldiery. Belt is usually a good second piece, as it boosts health and your main stat. Doing the above should get you enough gear to get you through all but the most recent dungeons.

8) Once you hit i70, stop buying things with soldiery tomestones. Go unlock Crystal Tower and run it. With friends. Only run it once, because that place is horrible.

9) Unlock and run Syrcus Tower over and over. Fill your left side with i100 drops from the tower. Make sure you roll need on Oil of Time, Sands of Time and Unidentified Allagan Tomestone drops during every run - you will need them. Bring a full party of friends, or at least as many as there are slots of your job role (5 DPS or 2 Healers in party pre-queue) so that you have uncontested access to drops, if possible. This greatly reduces the number of runs you need to do to gear up.
9a) Save soldiery for an i100 Unidentified Tomestone weapon. This will be 1300 soldiery for all but Paladin (910). Use the first Sands of Time drop you get from ST on the weapon to increase it to i110. This is the biggest weapon upgrade you can get without having the full main storyline unlocked (that doesn't involve spending millions of gil you probably don't have anyway).
9b) After you have a tomestone weapon, continue filling out accessories with soldiery (the "right side" slots - bracer, earring, wrists and ring). Use your first Oil of Time drop on your Weathered Ring so that you can buy a second ring for the other slot (you can war both weathered and unweathered at the same time, but not two of the same name).

After 10 or so ST runs, you should be at least i95+ and ready for pretty much all other content outside of Second/Final Coil. Finish your main storyline all the way through Shiva, unlocking stuff and running it the first time for that sweet, sweet soldiery bonus along the way. Start doing your daily roulettes when they become available to cap out on poetic tomestones and generate larger amounts of soldiery. Purchase whatever "left side" soldiery pieces compliment your class and use sands from ST/Turn 7 to upgrade them to i110. After a week or so, you should be i100+ and ready to start learning Extreme primals and the tougher Coil turns.

Once you're all squared away, then you'll have enough soldiery to start messing about with upgrading a Relic Weapon.

Varance fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 22, 2014

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Whizbang posted:

Specifically trying to play with other people at low levels is a bad idea. The people who try it always end up posting things like "oh my wife has been busy for 2 weeks and I can't do the story without her so now I'm a level 15 gladiator and level 50 fisher."

This will not be an issue with us, we're RL best buddies and have been doing it that way for something like 5 years of WoW - we hit max level within 5 minutes of each other for every expansion up to WotLK. This also means, however, that too much forced solo content (or time spent before we'll actually meet up in-game) will be a huge negative factor when it comes to deciding if we move past the trial, which is why I'm trying to find out how to minimize that.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Potsticker posted:

The problem is that Arcanists cannot queue as healers until rhey get the job stone at 30 and the only class that can, Conjurers, start in Gridania while the two tank classes start in the other cities. Added to that you're going to want to stick around your home city for story quests makes it hard to recommend a specific choice of action here.

Start out in whatever cities you want just make sure you all join the same grand company for pvp later. Also if you want to optimize for gear rolls as youll probably be doing a lot of dungeons

Dont have two tanks or healers (duh)
Dont mix a healer with arcanist or thaumaturge (magic dps and healing gear is shared at low levels)
Dont mix monk and lancer
Dont mix archer and rogue
Dont mix thaumaturge and arcanist
Dont mix rogue and monk

Or you could pick whatever you want and share gear rolls
just make sure to have one tank or healer. No requirement to have tank and healer

The second combo there only competes for gear until level 34ish the rest compete for a long time

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Nipponophile posted:

I think Squenix needs to make a video contest just so this can win it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCMAcUPU0Rs

He won the internet with that one.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
I haven't played since launch month, but feel like loving around. I managed to get a 46 Warrior, and enjoyed tanking in dungeons just got tired of the story grind. Also, launch month was pretty difficult to play in due to them making a good game.

I've been lurking the thread for a few days now, and keep seeing referral codes.. would a returning subscriber be able to take advantage of that or am I left to just paying for a sub and grinding it out? I'm not certain if I even paid for one month post free month, if that changes anything.

I assume they've fixed the literal 6 hour queues by now? That made playing impossible, if I didn't log in before work, I wasn't playing that day.

e: did they ever put in a way to get starter outfits or does everyone still run around naked for the first couple levels of a new class?

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Nov 22, 2014

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

fezball posted:

This will not be an issue with us, we're RL best buddies and have been doing it that way for something like 5 years of WoW - we hit max level within 5 minutes of each other for every expansion up to WotLK. This also means, however, that too much forced solo content (or time spent before we'll actually meet up in-game) will be a huge negative factor when it comes to deciding if we move past the trial, which is why I'm trying to find out how to minimize that.

The solo content is porting away to the city you started your job in to do a new class quest roughly every five levels. Youll all level through the 1-15 content at roughly the same pace and it can be done in a couple hours if youre a seasoned mmo player.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Varance posted:

Baby's first 50 guide

This is amazingly helpful. I had no idea what my priority should be with spending Soldiery. I actually switched to crafting immediately after hitting 50 with my Monk because for some reason I want to hand-craft my own relic precursor. It's one of those personal journey kind of things. I don't know.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

zolthorg posted:

Start out in whatever cities you want just make sure you all join the same grand company for pvp later. Also if you want to optimize for gear rolls as youll probably be doing a lot of dungeons

Dont have two tanks or healers (duh)
Dont mix a healer with arcanist or thaumaturge (magic dps and healing gear is shared at low levels)
Dont mix monk and lancer
Dont mix archer and rogue
Dont mix thaumaturge and arcanist
Dont mix rogue and monk

Or you could pick whatever you want and share gear rolls
just make sure to have one tank or healer. No requirement to have tank and healer

The second combo there only competes for gear until level 34ish the rest compete for a long time

This is good advice.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/2kpcg2/so_you_just_hit_level_50_in_patch_24/

There's also this.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

fezball posted:

The game isn't really designed for people to be doing 1-50 stuff along side each other, its not a priority because all the group content level syncs so you can play with whoever you want no matter the level range. Story quests are kind of arranged in arcs, there's a chain of open world quests that set poo poo up, big story beats almost always happen in forced solo phases, and then they climax in forced group dungeon or boss instances. You can play with other people for the first and last parts, but you need to break up to do the middle phases. And then every 5 levels everyone goes back to their class guild to do another solo quest.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

onesixtwo posted:

I haven't played since launch month, but feel like loving around. I managed to get a 46 Warrior, and enjoyed tanking in dungeons just got tired of the story grind. Also, launch month was pretty difficult to play in due to them making a good game.

I've been lurking the thread for a few days now, and keep seeing referral codes.. would a returning subscriber be able to take advantage of that or am I left to just paying for a sub and grinding it out? I'm not certain if I even paid for one month post free month, if that changes anything.
The answer depends entirely on if you did this or not. If you haven't paid for any time or used timecards, you can use a referral code. If you have, you can't, and this goes away the instant you do so, so use the referral code first.

The thing you get from it is a hat which gives +20% xp below level 25 (or when synced below 25) so it wouldn't help much getting to 50. Dungeons give a lot more experience and I think Dungeon Roulette is new, so that'd help, but always, always do your story quests, basically everything you want to do at 50 is behind at least the 2.0 main story.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I'm hoping I can avoid the toxic parts of the community by sticking with goons on Excalibur. Is this a fair assessment?

Goons aren't toxic :confused:

I do remember one time helping a goon through their story mode and we had to use DF and these people were just rushing it, even after we said they were going to watch cutscenes. One was a healer, who spent the entire run watching the cutscene. I was the other healer and even intentionally sat out of boss fights just for one tank, one drg and one blm to fight the boss themselves with the blm healing. It was pretty drat ridiculous.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I'm hoping I can avoid the toxic parts of the community by sticking with goons on Excalibur. Is this a fair assessment?

You'll generally have a better time by sticking with PBC/DGKK folks than going it by yourself, yes. Just as long as you don't treat non-goon players like poo poo just because they're not goons, which is something I see a lot of people do. A goon is just a pubbie who has paid ten bucks to some weirdo in Missouri.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!

Fister Roboto posted:

A goon is just a pubbie who has paid ten bucks to some weirdo in Missouri.

I don't believe Chairman lives in Missouri.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I choose not to presume.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Zereth posted:

The answer depends entirely on if you did this or not. If you haven't paid for any time or used timecards, you can use a referral code. If you have, you can't, and this goes away the instant you do so, so use the referral code first.

The thing you get from it is a hat which gives +20% xp below level 25 (or when synced below 25) so it wouldn't help much getting to 50. Dungeons give a lot more experience and I think Dungeon Roulette is new, so that'd help, but always, always do your story quests, basically everything you want to do at 50 is behind at least the 2.0 main story.

I checked, and did pay for an entry month so that's out! Good to hear dungeons are bigger xp, that was always a letdown. They were some of the most enjoyable content, but rewards were never better than just doing more quest grinds. Dungeon Roulette is definitely new, and sounds like it'd be neat. I'll give this a month and see how it goes.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fister Roboto posted:

You'll generally have a better time by sticking with PBC/DGKK folks than going it by yourself, yes. Just as long as you don't treat non-goon players like poo poo just because they're not goons, which is something I see a lot of people do. A goon is just a pubbie who has paid ten bucks to some weirdo in Missouri.

That doesn't mean it's not okay to make fun of complete and utter morons though, like this rogue I ran with today who didn't use ninjutsus. In DD at 45. Then immediately after I ran with a summoner who was chill as gently caress and it's a shame he's not on Excalibur so I guess it balances out.

You can't completely avoid idiots, and by god goons are already pretty big idiots (myself included), but goons are always willing to listen and at least they're not going to scream at you for taking 30 seconds to watch a cutscene. I can't speak for PBC, but DGKK is one of the more laidback goon groups I've been in. There's obviously a lot of intermingling between FCs via linkshells and the fact that we're neighbors and I've never seen anyone in PBC being a jerk either.

Also if you join pleaaaasssee do not be one of those people that doesn't ask for a dungeon run because you don't want to bother people. PBC is the number one guild on the server and DGKK is the number two and you're going to struggle to not find someone willing to help an adorable newbie.

Robo Reagan fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Nov 22, 2014

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

this is my new favorite ffxiv video

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

onesixtwo posted:

I checked, and did pay for an entry month so that's out! Good to hear dungeons are bigger xp, that was always a letdown. They were some of the most enjoyable content, but rewards were never better than just doing more quest grinds. Dungeon Roulette is definitely new, and sounds like it'd be neat. I'll give this a month and see how it goes.
You'll have to get somebody else to use your code to get the hat, then.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

So we may have taught Lahabrea a thing or two about proper study habits.

Bulk Slabhead
Oct 18, 2013
I hope you all were auto attacking too. Nothing like a good book smack.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

I was a part of a relic train book club and I'm sad I missed this one. Bookclub owns.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

seannykun posted:

I hope you all were auto attacking too. Nothing like a good book smack.

Except for one SCH who really wanted to keep applying their main DoTs, we killed him with nothing but auto-attacks and shadow flare (to show him how it's done).

LunarEmerald
Oct 8, 2014

Varance posted:

Speaking of first time soldiery, here's the quick 2.4 guide to "Babby's First Level 50" from someone who just went through that fresh hell (a second time):

1) Hit level 50.

2) Get your relic percursor weapon (melded with the appropriate materia) and use it for now. Also get cheap Item Level i55 accessories and a b.elt to get rid of all that filthy leveling gear. Wolf gear works perfectly for this and is pretty cheap these days. Higher ilvl crafted stuff might be too expensive for a fresh character. Convert what you replaced to materia, which may help fund both of these actions (if you're lucky). Everything will be replaced, so don't get too fancy here.

3) Finish your class quests.

4) Finish your main storyline quests through the credit sequence. Get your friends to help with Westwind/CM/Prae, they'll thank you for the bonus soldiery.

5) Unlock and run Wanderer's Palace for the Rank 3 GC hunting log (you're ranked 2LT and kept up with kills, right?), soldiery bonus and a shot at a weap.
5a) Get a second weapon, preferably from your GC. You're going to need it once you turn in your precursor weapon. If not able to buy GC weapons, a second relic precursor works fine until you get your relic (don't meld it).

6) Complete your relic weapon. Get your friends to help, they'll thank you for the bonus soldiery. DO NOT UPGRADE TO ZENITH. In 2.4, you don't have that much soldiery to waste until you can get everything unlocked.
6b) Once you have 375 Soldiery, buy an i100 ring for your class in Mor Dhona to help get your ilvl up to finish the above.

7) Gather up and unlock all of the level 50 dungeons (except Snowcloak, which requires a lot of main storyline progression). Run these dungeons with friends, in order. They'll once again enjoy the free soldiery.
7a) As you get soldiery, keep buying accessories that cost 375 soldiery. Belt is usually a good second piece, as it boosts health and your main stat. Doing the above should get you enough gear to get you through all but the most recent dungeons.

8) Once you hit i70, stop buying things with soldiery tomestones. Go unlock Crystal Tower and run it. With friends. Only run it once, because that place is horrible.

9) Unlock and run Syrcus Tower over and over. Fill your left side with i100 drops from the tower. Make sure you roll need on Oil of Time, Sands of Time and Unidentified Allagan Tomestone drops during every run - you will need them. Bring a full party of friends, or at least as many as there are slots of your job role (5 DPS or 2 Healers in party pre-queue) so that you have uncontested access to drops, if possible. This greatly reduces the number of runs you need to do to gear up.
9a) Save soldiery for an i100 Unidentified Tomestone weapon. This will be 1300 soldiery for all but Paladin (910). Use the first Sands of Time drop you get from ST on the weapon to increase it to i110. This is the biggest weapon upgrade you can get without having the full main storyline unlocked (that doesn't involve spending millions of gil you probably don't have anyway).
9b) After you have a tomestone weapon, continue filling out accessories with soldiery (the "right side" slots - bracer, earring, wrists and ring). Use your first Oil of Time drop on your Weathered Ring so that you can buy a second ring for the other slot (you can war both weathered and unweathered at the same time, but not two of the same name).

After 10 or so ST runs, you should be at least i95+ and ready for pretty much all other content outside of Second/Final Coil. Finish your main storyline all the way through Shiva, unlocking stuff and running it the first time for that sweet, sweet soldiery bonus along the way. Start doing your daily roulettes when they become available to cap out on poetic tomestones and generate larger amounts of soldiery. Purchase whatever "left side" soldiery pieces compliment your class and use sands from ST/Turn 7 to upgrade them to i110. After a week or so, you should be i100+ and ready to start learning Extreme primals and the tougher Coil turns.

Once you're all squared away, then you'll have enough soldiery to start messing about with upgrading a Relic Weapon.

This is great advice.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Anyone been able to get the game running on Ubuntu 14.04 with Wine to any success? Thinking of reactivating, but need to be booted in linux for a lot of school/work related things over the next few months and worried I'll end up not being able to play much if I'm forced to reboot into Windows anytime I want to play with decent performance.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
I got to see Yoshi P play with a bunch of Korean FFXIV people at G-star (Korean E3) yesterday. They did Turn 5 and Titan EX. The dev playing Dragoon got knocked off on Titan. :smith:

Sadly, the line for Yoshi P was about a quarter of the length for the line to take pictures of girls dressed as Miqo'te.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Whizbang posted:

I got to see Yoshi P play with a bunch of Korean FFXIV people at G-star (Korean E3) yesterday. They did Turn 5 and Titan EX. The dev playing Dragoon got knocked off on Titan. :smith:

Sadly, the line for Yoshi P was about a quarter of the length for the line to take pictures of girls dressed as Miqo'te.

Obviously they should have had Yoshi P dressed as a Miqote.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Any advice for a fresh 50 BRD on songs? Not planning on doing much coil stuff in the near future but I'd like to not suck at expert dungeons.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

HelmetCheese posted:

Any advice for a fresh 50 BRD on songs? Not planning on doing much coil stuff in the near future but I'd like to not suck at expert dungeons.

Foe Requiem on bosses if you have mages in the party other than a White Mage. Army's Paeon if you have a Warrior who Overpowers constantly.

LordNat
May 16, 2009
Is the DDOS attacks still going? Been having a hard time logging in all day.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Zerilan posted:

Anyone been able to get the game running on Ubuntu 14.04 with Wine to any success? Thinking of reactivating, but need to be booted in linux for a lot of school/work related things over the next few months and worried I'll end up not being able to play much if I'm forced to reboot into Windows anytime I want to play with decent performance.

I play primarily on Wine, currently on Slackware, previously on Arch. The game itself works great, especially with the python launcher. There's a guide on WineDB about what you have to winetricks to get it working.

The only thing I haven't been able to get working is patching. For that I just boot a windows VirtualBox instance.

Performance isn't quite what it could be on Linux, but my Nvidia 7800GTX pushes 20-40fps consistently, with graphics turned up to fuckall high, and when I had to play this on an intel HD300 it was a playable 15fps even in CT2. The biggest problem is that occlusion culling (sp?) doesn't quite work, but on the GTX I've found that the FPS is more Wine-version dependent than anything.

OWLS! fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Nov 23, 2014

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

LordNat posted:

Is the DDOS attacks still going? Been having a hard time logging in all day.

Randomly yeah, I had a problem connecting earlier then finally got in and it was fine once I got in game.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

OWLS! posted:

I play primarily on Wine, currently on Slackware, previously on Arch. The game itself works great, especially with the python launcher. There's a guide on WineDB about what you have to winetricks to get it working.

The only thing I haven't been able to get working is patching. For that I just boot a windows VirtualBox instance.

Performance isn't quite what it could be on Linux, but my Nvidia 7800GTX pushes 20-40fps consistently, with graphics turned up to fuckall high, and when I had to play this on an intel HD300 it was a playable 15fps even in CT2. The biggest problem is that occlusion culling (sp?) doesn't quite work, but on the GTX I've found that the FPS is more Wine-version dependent than anything.

Which Wine version are you using? I'll look up the wineDB guide for it. Video card is a Radeon HD 6950 which runs it great in windows, so hoping there's not many ATI specific issues.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Kwyndig posted:

Army's Paeon if you have a Warrior who Overpowers constantly.

yeh boyee

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
I've never had to dedicatedly farm for a specific raid item before 2.4, and man it is soulcrushing. The 10% chance to get the weapon you need from T9, even with the Echo, is so rough. And this is after you get a competent group together, assuming your static only meets for Final Coil.

At least I got my DRG belt, I guess? :smith:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

pksage posted:

I've never had to dedicatedly farm for a specific raid item before 2.4, and man it is soulcrushing. The 10% chance to get the weapon you need from T9, even with the Echo, is so rough. And this is after you get a competent group together, assuming your static only meets for Final Coil.

At least I got my DRG belt, I guess? :smith:

On the first night we cleared T6, the aiming boots dropped. Our bard rolled on them, and then left the instance before actually receiving them. That was months ago. Our bard still doesn't have those boots.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

What's the best thing to farm to get the bear/lion mounts? Turn 4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Whatever extreme primal or coil turn you want to farm anyway for other reasons.

Otherwise, yes, turn 4. Fast and reasonably reliable wins, and a chance at crafting mats that still go for a decent price.

• Locked thread