Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

We're now in the running for the highest official honor in video gaming:

I'll only be happy if Joel McHale is on the show again this year and is making GBS threads all over it the entire time while looking vaguely drunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
After coming back to Dark Souls I thought I'd tackle the DLCs. I can't beat Fume Knight, and it's infuriating. I thought the NPC summon might help - no, she does 3 damage a punch. Do people throw their summon signs down at the bonfire or in front of the gate, because I can't do this alone.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Friar John posted:

After coming back to Dark Souls I thought I'd tackle the DLCs. I can't beat Fume Knight, and it's infuriating. I thought the NPC summon might help - no, she does 3 damage a punch. Do people throw their summon signs down at the bonfire or in front of the gate, because I can't do this alone.
If you are on right now let me know your SM and I'll likely have a character in range.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!

Zedd posted:

If you are on right now let me know your SM and I'll likely have a character in range.
2,753,415. I have to say, I kind of miss when summoning was based on Soul Level alone right now.

Edit: he is dead. Thank you phantom

Friar John fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 21, 2014

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

is defender greatsword still the go-to STR/FTH weapon? I kinda want to change things up from my usual STR/INT moonlight greatsword build

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

ComradeGunmad continues to create amazing videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNeD_eTLlDg

Kakal
Mar 3, 2008

Genocyber posted:

Holy loving poo poo that looked cool and the music was awesome. I kinda wish that would actually be a thing for new game++++++++++. There's also this invade, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E50HGCw3Reo, that looks equally as fun.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Genocyber posted:

That was pretty sweet. I think the story of the Old Iron King is probably the most interesting out of the three DLC crowns. Probably cause it's the most fleshed out in the game... but whatever.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Spent about an hour-and-a-half bashing my head against the Frozen Outskirts bosses in NG+. God drat, I haaaaate having to run the entire length of the area solo. What a huge loving pain in the rear end.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Time_pants posted:

Spent about an hour-and-a-half bashing my head against the Frozen Outskirts bosses in NG+. God drat, I haaaaate having to run the entire length of the area solo. What a huge loving pain in the rear end.

Then don't run it solo. Summon the two NPC phantoms then black crystal them out when you get to the fog door. They make great distractions for the electro-reindeer.

I mean, it will still suck rear end because it's an incredibly poorly done area, but it will be slightly less lovely that way.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Is it possible to extinct them?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yes.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I would have actually really liked frozen outskirts if it hadn't ended in a difficult boss battle with no shortcuts or bonfires. Not sure who thought that was a good idea.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
They aren't that hard once you treat the boss like a damage race. If you can't kill the first tiger by the time the second one arrives you aren't fast enough.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Cardboard Box posted:

is defender greatsword still the go-to STR/FTH weapon? I kinda want to change things up from my usual STR/INT moonlight greatsword build

I just gave it a shot myself since I never got an answer and yeah even post-nerf a lightning-infused defender greatsword is totally viable, especially with a lightning ring to supplement it. I was on a pretty good win streak in PvP with it.

edit: lol when some host taunts when they beat you after they just used 5+ estus when you used none

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Nov 22, 2014

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Iretep posted:

They aren't that hard once you treat the boss like a damage race. If you can't kill the first tiger by the time the second one arrives you aren't fast enough.

How in the world are you supposed to do that in NG+?

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.

Time_pants posted:

How in the world are you supposed to do that in NG+?

Keep a halberd in your back pocket until boss is at 50% health, brightbug, buff and pick your moment carefully. You might not be able to truly finish him off but you should be able to put him in the 1-full-combo kill zone and can risk eating a hit from the second kitty.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Holy poo poo the bone fist is cool. This is probably the most fun I've ever had with a weapon in a souls game. It takes all the fun of a powerstance caestus setup and adds in crazy rear end moves, a great rush attack, and even a basic ranged attack. Does it put out enough damage at +5 to justify using it or was it nerfed to hell to make up for it's moveset?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Holy poo poo the bone fist is cool. This is probably the most fun I've ever had with a weapon in a souls game. It takes all the fun of a powerstance caestus setup and adds in crazy rear end moves, a great rush attack, and even a basic ranged attack. Does it put out enough damage at +5 to justify using it or was it nerfed to hell to make up for it's moveset?

absolutely all of it's damage comes from Scaling.
And the scaling only gets better on upgrade so go for it.

Caps out at an S/A at +5.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I'm not entirely sure why, but its power stance moveset also seems to get a lot stronger so long as you have two of them equipped, as opposed to a +10 cestus in the other hand. Especially the hadoken.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Can you get two of them in one playthrough without co-oping?

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Azuth0667 posted:

Can you get two of them in one playthrough without co-oping?

You can use a bonfire ascetic to pick up a second one in the spot where you found the first one.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

-nevermind-

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
Finally took down Fume Knight. It took me all saturday night. On one hand it felt great being able to take him down. Really satisfying to see him finally....loving....DIE. On the other, please From never do that again. I can't take it. I need to run my thumb under cold water and see if I can get any feeling in my rear end again. Goddamn.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Now do it with a ladle. :q:

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Rigged Death Trap posted:

absolutely all of it's damage comes from Scaling.
And the scaling only gets better on upgrade so go for it.

Caps out at an S/A at +5.
2 months later and I am still deeply regretting taking my caestus PVP character into NG+ after they announced the Ivory DLC would be delayed.

Do I want dual bone fists? gently caress yes! Do I want to do a whole extra NG+ cycle for them? Please kill me.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I just ran a guy through most of the game last night, I guess it was from around 3pm est to several hours later. The game has a pretty nice population I think. It sort of tapers off after forest, heide and bastille, but I still ran into summon signs. Ain't no ghost town yet, but you can't rely on summoning. Probably getting yourself summoned is easier than trying to find someone that you can summon.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
What bonfire do I ascetic for a second bonefist?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Azuth0667 posted:

What bonfire do I ascetic for a second bonefist?
The Outer Wall bonfire.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Isn't it in a metal chest? I thought those only refresh in NG cycles.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Its on a dead body.
The drat scrub died with the bone fist. Mustve been some mega chump when he was alive.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
He was such a loser his own son probably threw him into a volcano that spat him out in the Ivory King's realm.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Anybody wanna help me kill sinh, 18 million sm :greencube:

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Whats the SM level for ng Iron Keep Bridge? I'm at 300,000 and don't see a single sign.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I first played this game at launch as a mage, because I wanted to be a gun in a fantasy land. While it made a lot of things easy, it was also supremely difficult in other areas and I was still terrible at actual melee fighting. I beat it and stopped playing for a while.

A month ago I picked it up again and decided to continue making life difficult for me by going headlong into a dex build. It went OK, but I was vexed by certain areas for a long while (Iron Keep and Amana.)

A week ago I had to wipe my drive, so I thought "what the hell" and started another new character to mess around with, and this time I decided I would just club everything to death with the normal club and a strength build. At some point while I was forcing all of drangleic to submit to my wooden club, I stopped using a shield all together because it was useless to me. I just beat it tonight and I wonder what I was doing to myself before to make this game so difficult, or if things just clicked with me this time.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
This just cropped up on facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/darksouls/posts/768142343258812

quote:

The undead curse continues to spread across the kingdom of Drangleic with **Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin**, available on Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, PS4, and Steam on the following dates:
EU: April 3, 2015
Americas: April 7, 2015
This ultimate Dark Souls II experience features additional in-game events and NPCs along with new deadlier enemies and gameplay improvements. This experience includes the original Dark Souls II along with the three DLC chapters - Crown of the Sunken King, Crown of the Old Iron King, and Crown of the Ivory King. It will also take advantage of the advanced power of the PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and DirectX11 capable PCs to provide enhanced graphics for those platforms!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Uh holy poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nmqb0q95ko4

quote:

The undead curse continues to spread across the kingdom of Drangleic with **Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin**, available on Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, PS4, and Steam on the following dates:
EU: April 3, 2015
Americas: April 7, 2015
This ultimate Dark Souls II experience features additional in-game events and NPCs along with new deadlier enemies and gameplay improvements. This experience includes the original Dark Souls II along with the three DLC chapters - Crown of the Sunken King, Crown of the Old Iron King, and Crown of the Ivory King. It will also take advantage of the advanced power of the PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and DirectX11 capable PCs to provide enhanced graphics for those platforms!

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
I wonder how much the PS4 version is going to cost and how much additional content is actually included.

More information seems to be available here: Link

From the sound of it, they're fixing lore and soul memory is toast. I'm guessing there is also more to it though, especially because there seems to be new enemy/mob placements in he trailer.

Proposition Joe fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Nov 25, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Oh gently caress yes. Kinda weird that it's gonna be released after Bloodborne, but I'm really glad to see they're continuing to support this game. I really doubt this is gonna be covered by the season pass, but I wonder if this will be the actual final DLC or the first in a line of new ones with a new pass to go with them?

PS4 version is either gonna be $60 USD or $40. No cheaper, and let's be honest now it's gonna be $60. I'd say there's a 50/50 chance on it coming with the DLC, maybe it'll be a GOTY type thing if the game wins a bunch of awards at the end of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Manatee Cannon posted:

Oh gently caress yes. Kinda weird that it's gonna be released after Bloodborne, but I'm really glad to see they're continuing to support this game. I really doubt this is gonna be covered by the season pass, but I wonder if this will be the actual final DLC or the first in a line of new ones with a new pass to go with them?

That's what I'm curious about. It basically sounds like the Game of the Year Edition with a bit of extra content tacked on as well. I'm gonna be pissed if I basically have to buy it again but if they upgrade it to existing owners that'd be cool.