Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

White Dog Eggs posted:

Granted I don't know too much about tube amps, but wouldn't turning the 'pre' knobs up get the valves running at a decent load without having to be turned up all the way? I modded my amp to have an extra pre-amp pot so I could get nice tube crunch without it being too loud.

When people talk about cranking a tube amp they really mean power tubes and speaker distortion. Preamp distortion is supposed to be notoriously fizzy, but only nerds like us worry about this poo poo.

Incidentally those cheap 'attenuators' to go on your fx loop that you can buy on ebay for a couple of quid are useless, they're just a volume pot regulating volume into the poweramp and will make no difference to powertube crunch. You can have your volume on 10 but if you aren't hitting them with enough pre volume they'll still be running cold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Actuary X posted:

Earplugs are way cooler than tinnitus

Truth, losing your hearing loving sucks :(

IronLawnmower
Aug 28, 2014
The fact that I have no idea what the hell any of this means probably says I should not have a tube amp.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

White Dog Eggs posted:

Granted I don't know too much about tube amps, but wouldn't turning the 'pre' knobs up get the valves running at a decent load without having to be turned up all the way? I modded my amp to have an extra pre-amp pot so I could get nice tube crunch without it being too loud.

Preamp affects the preamp tubes and therefore the gain/drive, so you can get a good crunch etc at low volumes (while power tube distortion is often coveted a lot of amps that aren't designed for it sound poo poo with power tube drive), master affects the power tubes, which is where this effect is. Not 100% on the physics etc but it happens with all three tube amps I've owned, less so the VHT Classic 6, but definitely on the hayden peacemaker 40 and especially the tweaker - MV past 12, gain really really low is how mine's set (I use a Dano CO-1 (ocd sorta-clone) for OD so having the pre gain low isn't an issue)

Nostalgic Pushead fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 22, 2014

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:
Y

Manky posted:

Truth, losing your hearing loving sucks :(

Yeah every time those high frequencies hearing tests come up I can usually hear what someone in their 50's can hear. I'm 29.

Tinnitus sucks, wear earplugs.

No joke wouldn't mind a record pickguard on my Tele. Would a laser cutter work well for that?

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012

IronLawnmower posted:

The fact that I have no idea what the hell any of this means probably says I should not have a tube amp.

If you stopped learning right now, you'd still have more book-learning (web-learning) on gear than a vast majority of history's performers. Own it, crank it, fiddle with it, try different settings on it, enjoy it. If you don't enjoy it, trade it for something else on craigslist. You'll be fine.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

booshi posted:

Y

Yeah every time those high frequencies hearing tests come up I can usually hear what someone in their 50's can hear. I'm 29.

Tinnitus sucks, wear earplugs.

No joke wouldn't mind a record pickguard on my Tele. Would a laser cutter work well for that?

Vinyl cuts pretty well on a laser, go for it! I've wanted to try this for ages.

Bread Dragon posted:

If you stopped learning right now, you'd still have more book-learning (web-learning) on gear than a vast majority of history's performers. Own it, crank it, fiddle with it, try different settings on it, enjoy it. If you don't enjoy it, trade it for something else on craigslist. You'll be fine.

This is 100% true. The Who used to get distortion by poking holes in their speaker cones with pencils and screwdrivers, that's about as stupid as you can get and they still sounded good (don't do this, it sounds terrible).

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

White Dog Eggs posted:

Vinyl cuts pretty well on a laser, go for it! I've wanted to try this for ages.

Awesome, time to hit up Goodwill for some cheap vinyl and give it a shot. I need a pickguard cut for a humbucker anyway as I'm putting on of those new GFS gold foils in the neck.

Time to flex the ol CAD muscle. Will report back.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

ThePutty posted:

did you guys in the music scene wear earplugs, or are earplugs still considered uncool

I'm too old to give a poo poo what people at shows think of me so I often wear earplugs, even when playing at low volumes at home.

At my old job I went around to the different PPE cabinets and took different kinds of earplugs to try out which kinds I liked the best. Naturally I have an entire bag filled with the ones I liked best due to taking two pairs every day instead of one pair a day.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Drummers. So many of them think that they should have one volume level and the louder it is, the better drummer they are. One drummer I auditioned bragged, "I'm the loudest drummer you'll ever meet." :smug:

Yes I know guitarists and bassists are guilty, too. But being the guitarist I always tried to convince the ensemble to play only as loud as necessary as to gel together with the drummer and no louder. Individual volume boosts only for solos. It worked well with reasonable people who understood their gear and drummers who possess dynamics.

Being stuck in small rooms next to a huge array of crash cymbals has done more to kill my hearing than any guitar amp or concert.

So yeah, I got hip to earplugs eventually, but not before the tinnitus hit.

I can't be in a dead-quiet room. I have to have some low-level white-noise (I prefer an electric fan or simple sound spa set to white noise) or the ringing in my ears announces itself; and then once I notice it, it quickly builds up to jet-engine (I work at an airport and if you've ever heard an Airbus 321 being started up by an Air-start unit) you can imagine how almost terrifyingly loud it seems.

Aside: I went to see Yngwie in Raleigh once many years ago. Wow, what an amazing live guitar sound, even if I don't care much for the material. Some glassy-eyed drunk-as-gently caress Napoleon homunculus almost tried to start a fist-fight with me when he noticed my earplugs.

I now have a crate of earplugs under my desk that the safety-compliance manager (it's OSHA-mandated for the airline fleet workers) gave me so I will never run out.

I feel really bad for Eric Johnson, as I have read his hearing is really loving shot from all those years of playing in front of raging Marshalls.

Protect your hearing, because it never comes back.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

That's a sad irony, if it is irony, that the people who care the most about music or play it the most cause themselves hearing damage.

IronLawnmower
Aug 28, 2014
The first concert I went to (Thunder, Whitensnake and Journey) I literally couldn't hear a single loving note it was so loud I just hurt like a constant high pitched almost feedback sounding noise and it was like the worst audio experience of my life. 3 hours of just this weird wall of noise that was meant to be radio friendly arena rock sounded like Vomir's next album. I'm not sure if it's the venue or not because when I saw Black Sabbath there the sound was loving perfect.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

IronLawnmower posted:

The first concert I went to (Thunder, Whitensnake and Journey) I literally couldn't hear a single loving note it was so loud I just hurt like a constant high pitched almost feedback sounding noise and it was like the worst audio experience of my life. 3 hours of just this weird wall of noise that was meant to be radio friendly arena rock sounded like Vomir's next album. I'm not sure if it's the venue or not because when I saw Black Sabbath there the sound was loving perfect.

you should probably get a hearing test done, i can't imagine listening to something that loud for 3 hours wouldn't do lasting damage

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012

Sleepflower posted:

I was under the impression that it took 200-300 to keep up with a drummer, so that's good news.

I played bass in a rock band where the guitarist played through a Mesa Stiletto halfstack and the drummer was a slugger. My $80 Crate 115 combo kept up at stage/small room volume. It doesn't hurt that I live in Chicago, where sound guys pathologically try to justify their usurious rates by micing everything even when you play to six people, but I would feel comfortable using this rig on the road - it's pretty much the equivalent to my old Hartke halfstack, but $300 cheaper and with a little less headroom.

shiksa posted:

ive got a 100 watt acoustic bass amp, its loud as gently caress for small venues and bigger venues usually mic it up or line out anyway no matter the amp. "loud enough for a house show" is pretty much the only specification that matters imo.

Agreed 100%. And those 100 watt Acoustic 115 combos are all over craigslist for about $125~, and they own serious bones.

Guitar-wise, I have an 80s Peavey Bandit and a Vox AD50VT. Both were under $100 used, both are loud enough for a room, and I would feel comfortable touring on either. Expensive gear is neat and fun, don't get me wrong, but necessary is another thing entirely. Exceptions apply - even a spendthrift like me wouldn't dare show up and try to play doom metal while plugged into my little combos. It just doesn't fit the style.

Pump the extra money into merch and fliers. Or at least into some dank pedals.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I have been fairly good about bringing earplugs to most shows I see nowadays----though I did cheat a bit and listen to one song from My Bloody Valentine with no plugs, just for the experience.

I've had tinnitus since childhood, though. Based on what I've read, it's probably related to the massive sinus infections and similar issues I'd get as a kid.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

IronLawnmower posted:

That reminds me of this rider page I found (click for bigger)

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Allen Wren posted:

I have been fairly good about bringing earplugs to most shows I see nowadays----though I did cheat a bit and listen to one song from My Bloody Valentine with no plugs, just for the experience.

I wonder if it would be disheartening for a band to see everyone in the audience wearing earplugs. Well, I guess it'd be fine unless everyone covered their ears and sang "la la la I can't hear you."

IronLawnmower
Aug 28, 2014

ThePutty posted:

you should probably get a hearing test done, i can't imagine listening to something that loud for 3 hours wouldn't do lasting damage

I was a year or two ago now and I don't think it's damaged my hearing but I don't know for sure.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat
I've got tinnitus from having constant ear infections when I was younger. No hearing loss but it's annoying as gently caress, mine sounds EXACTLY like guitar feedback too. Irony.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

awful

Sleepflower posted:

Passable.

Yeah but a giggable bass rig isn't much cheaper than a giggable tube guitar rig anyway.
e: though maybe I don't know poo poo about what is/isn't giggable for bass.

actually it generally cheaper, i got a used 500w head with a new 4x10 cab and a new bass for about £800. my guitarists spent about that on their tube heads, with another £300 on their cabs, about £6-800 on their main guitars, £200 on new pickups and god knows how much on pedals, pedal boards and power supplies. obviously that isn't how much you HAVE to spend, but our gear is at about the same level of volume, quality, tone etc.

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass
idk stux what makes the aesthetics of that worse than a blackmachine guitar

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
don't like that wood or teles in general

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

Fax Sender posted:

idk stux what makes the aesthetics of that worse than a blackmachine guitar

i don't like all black machines either tho some are ugly cod of the wood chiices

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass
ok. i like teles though. the wood reminds me of like, i dunno, wood panelling that youd see on a lovely wall or something or an old uncomfortable piece of furniture in your aunt's house.

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass
it tries real hard to look like its not trying very hard

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ElectricHeir posted:

I'm having a hard time believing this, but I play bari sax so everything is automatically five times more expensive.

tenor sax master race

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Saxophones sounds like someone is strangling a goose. Tenor or Baritone is just how big a goose you are strangling.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Check out this contrarian fag

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

HollisBrown posted:

That Tele is hot garbage and I love Teles

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

unlawfulsoup posted:

Saxophones sounds like someone is strangling a goose. Tenor or Baritone is just how big a goose you are strangling.

HONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNK, HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONK.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

The only thing I don't like is the pearloid jack plate and the record pickguard. Probably could of picked a better looking piece of that wood for the top too. That huge dark spot kinda looks bad.

Teles own though.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

TheChaosPath posted:

That Tele is hot garbage and I love Teles

The pickguard sucks as does the control plate but it would look aight with a parchment or mint green guard.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

WDE's wacky sax reminded me of this!

I submit: That1Guy, and his crazy homemade instrument. Even has a smoke machine built into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3eUZqsjVHQ

I have seen this dude live a couple times. He's really nice in person too. The best one was when he played in a band called the Frankenstein Brothers. It was just him and Buckethead, and was as weird as you would expect.

edit: I basically have a thing for 1 man bands. They own.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

White Dog Eggs posted:

HONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNK, HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONK.

I like squeezeboxes and accordions, but holy hell that looks like an instrument crafted by the devil himself.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

HollisBrown posted:

dont use that word

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Stux posted:

dont use that word

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg563t9WV2s

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Dirt posted:

edit: I basically have a thing for 1 man bands. They own.

http://youtu.be/uXMuWi0dUBc

Autoowns because clown horn and kazoo

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

White Dog Eggs posted:

Yeah, it absolutely sounds fine.

Tube spergs think only a cranked power tube is an acceptable sound but that poo poo is not even realistic talk for 95% of the hobbyists out there including the guys that post that kind of thing. I don't know if those guys really believe it or if they saw a famous person say it or what. I play for hours and if I was using a Plexi or something to get my gain, my neighbors simply would not have it. If I put the dial on my 5150 at 10 o'clock it's shaking windows and moving a lot of air. There's a point where tube amps are like owning non-street legal muscle cars.

It's even true for the new tiny little tube amps. You use the classic gain channel on the DSL5 and it's going to be too loud for an apartment and unless you live alone it's up there even for a house. What most people end up having to do is swap out the tubes for ones that break up at lower volume or just playing with headphones.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Stux posted:

actually it generally cheaper, i got a used 500w head with a new 4x10 cab and a new bass for about £800. my guitarists spent about that on their tube heads, with another £300 on their cabs, about £6-800 on their main guitars, £200 on new pickups and god knows how much on pedals, pedal boards and power supplies. obviously that isn't how much you HAVE to spend, but our gear is at about the same level of volume, quality, tone etc.
Well shows what I know. Good to hear though, was worried my little rig wouldn't keep up.

I also have Tinnitus, but it doesn't bother me much. I get a little sad having to wear earplugs when practicing because I really like how my rig sounds and I want to hear it properly. :(

ZombieParts posted:

Yeah, it absolutely sounds fine.

Tube spergs think only a cranked power tube is an acceptable sound but that poo poo is not even realistic talk for 95% of the hobbyists out there including the guys that post that kind of thing. I don't know if those guys really believe it or if they saw a famous person say it or what. I play for hours and if I was using a Plexi or something to get my gain, my neighbors simply would not have it. If I put the dial on my 5150 at 10 o'clock it's shaking windows and moving a lot of air. There's a point where tube amps are like owning non-street legal muscle cars.

It's even true for the new tiny little tube amps. You use the classic gain channel on the DSL5 and it's going to be too loud for an apartment and unless you live alone it's up there even for a house. What most people end up having to do is swap out the tubes for ones that break up at lower volume or just playing with headphones.

Not even talking about cranking the PT's, just pushing them hard enough. If you haven't heard it yourself then IDK what to say, maybe it is something else but I'm not exactly quick to believe things that cost me money or convenience.

e: Though in an apartment even a 5W isn't going to get there at the levels you can use. Tweaker is the best I've run into so far for getting it to sound right at low volumes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

SaNChEzZ posted:

http://youtu.be/uXMuWi0dUBc

Autoowns because clown horn and kazoo

:clint:

Goons out of all people should understand the greatness of one man bands.

• Locked thread